Industry Elites Added As Judges for Webcomic Contest

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 NEXT

boybokeh:

titankore:

danieltanure:

titankore:
Well if we do organize a website I suggest that it will focus on a main comic that we all contribute to and then also features each of our own individual comics as well. By making a website with multiple comics on it each hitting their own demographics and each updating on a different schedule we could have a pretty heavy stream of viewers.

The main comic would probably be a humor based comic like cyanide and happiness updated each day by each of us doing it in a certain order. If we can get at least 30 different artists on this we would each get a day of the month to do and we can update our own comic on our individual schedule.

The ad revenue could added up and used to
1. Maintain and upgrade site.
2. Make merchandise for comics based on popularity of comic (most popular gets first and most, least gets the least)
3.1/2 of remaining profits stays in collected bank account for future expansion/costs
4. other half is distributed to comic artists based on hits with a salary to those that actually run the site

I've taken business courses but I don't know how to build a site.

I think you're maybe a bit hasty, i think it's better if you guys focus on the basics right now.

Speaking as a former procrastinator its important to get the ball running early or it will never happen. Speaking as someone with extensive knowledge on how a business runs this is a low risk, low cost venture that will not get us rich quick but has a high success chance if done properly!

Speaking as someone who looks very much like myself, maybe let's just concentrate on the recreational collaboration concept first.

I can see many ways to run an Idea like this, and is very stong, I'm just curious on how your going to filter down to only 30 people... ANOTHER contest perhaps? *Dun Dun Duuuuuuun!!*

mynameissqrat:

boybokeh:

titankore:

danieltanure:

titankore:
Well if we do organize a website I suggest that it will focus on a main comic that we all contribute to and then also features each of our own individual comics as well. By making a website with multiple comics on it each hitting their own demographics and each updating on a different schedule we could have a pretty heavy stream of viewers.

The main comic would probably be a humor based comic like cyanide and happiness updated each day by each of us doing it in a certain order. If we can get at least 30 different artists on this we would each get a day of the month to do and we can update our own comic on our individual schedule.

The ad revenue could added up and used to
1. Maintain and upgrade site.
2. Make merchandise for comics based on popularity of comic (most popular gets first and most, least gets the least)
3.1/2 of remaining profits stays in collected bank account for future expansion/costs
4. other half is distributed to comic artists based on hits with a salary to those that actually run the site

I've taken business courses but I don't know how to build a site.

I think you're maybe a bit hasty, i think it's better if you guys focus on the basics right now.

Speaking as a former procrastinator its important to get the ball running early or it will never happen. Speaking as someone with extensive knowledge on how a business runs this is a low risk, low cost venture that will not get us rich quick but has a high success chance if done properly!

Speaking as someone who looks very much like myself, maybe let's just concentrate on the recreational collaboration concept first.

I can see many ways to run an Idea like this, and is very stong, I'm just curious on how your going to filter down to only 30 people... ANOTHER contest perhaps? *Dun Dun Duuuuuuun!!*

This idea is relevant to my interests. I would also volanteer to do some custom drawing, as I need practice. I could draw a comic for a writer if they themselves cannot draw. Heck, if we had our individual comics in addition to the collaberation... well I got 3 ideas, one of which I will need to improve my own art skillz to do.

Well if you exclude those that won't want to do it or aren't serious about their comic to begin with you probably are down to 50-100 people. After that you then take out people that will quit or not try and your down to 20-40 people, after that you then take out those that will get pissed about not making money right away and your down to maybe 15-30 if your lucky. By the time we get to that we will be looking for more contributors.

I'd be happy to throw stuff up on my site, but I would prefer it be rated R ,NC-17 or X, be moderately offensive but creative, and oh yeah ..not shitty! I put up my own pinups and a friends superhero cos-play stuff. http://www.turbomutants.com. Everybody owns there own stuff. put it wherever they want other than here and hopefully promote when they send a comic over. If I win the contest it wont matter cause it only takes a minute to post stuff up anyway.

titankore:
Well if you exclude those that won't want to do it or aren't serious about their comic to begin with you probably are down to 50-100 people. After that you then take out people that will quit or not try and your down to 20-40 people, after that you then take out those that will get pissed about not making money right away and your down to maybe 15-30 if your lucky. By the time we get to that we will be looking for more contributors.

I wouldn't worry about the money thing right now. I do like the idea of a site for all the "Escapist rejects" to post their on going comics though. Would be very much like that fear Shamus has of rejecting someone that continues on to make it after he rejects them.

we could probably make a "Bane of Shamus" tshirt
and on the back we each have a one liner we wanna say to him.

titankore:

Dude, srsly. Stop with the talk about money. Nobody other than you has mentioned business or money. I'm personally only interested in some pressure-free, lighthearted collab with some of the cool peeps that have been F5ing this thread for the past week and a bit.

Edit: I think Shamus would probably be the first to congratulate any Escape rejects that went on to further success.

trbomtnt:
I'd be happy to throw stuff up on my site, but I would prefer it be rated R ,NC-17 or X, be moderately offensive but creative, and oh yeah ..not shitty! I put up my own pinups and a friends superhero cos-play stuff. http://www.turbomutants.com. Everybody owns there own stuff. put it wherever they want other than here and hopefully promote when they send a comic over. If I win the contest it wont matter cause it only takes a minute to post stuff up anyway.

I wanna meet Poison Ivy...

"Rejected" actually sounds like a good name. Can focus on a whole cabal of webcomic writer and artists rebelling against the corporate dominated interwebs of the future in a bid to bring originality and free thinking back to the masses though entertaining stories and illistrations

danieltanure:

trbomtnt:

I wanna meet Poison Ivy...

me too friend....me too.

aeroz:
"Rejected" actually sounds like a good name. Can focus on a whole cabal of webcomic writer ans artists rebelling against the corporate dominated interwebs of the future in a bid to bring originality and free thinking back to the masses though entertaining stories and illistrations

I don't think rejected is a good idea because that was the name of one of the first widely circulated internet videos, which is an animation by Don Hertzfeldt, so we'd be totally overshadowed by that.

boybokeh:

titankore:

Dude, srsly. Stop with the talk about money. Nobody other than you has mentioned business or money. I'm personally only interested in some pressure-free, lighthearted collab with some of the cool peeps that have been F5ing this thread for the past week and a bit.

I'm just saying alot of people would quite if they didn't make money, but with us all working together it would be a fairly easy do it at your own pace website.
step 1. Make a webcomic you want to make.
step 2. We organize everyone's comics
step 3. ?
step 4. Profit... maybe, possibly, ok at least not losing money.

aeroz:
"Rejected" actually sounds like a good name. Can focus on a whole cabal of webcomic writer and artists rebelling against the corporate dominated interwebs of the future in a bid to bring originality and free thinking back to the masses though entertaining stories and illistrations

Well, if the winner WERE to partake, 'Rejected' may not be entirely accurate. I like 'Escape Artists'... which wouldn't technically be accurate either, but whatever. :)

aeroz:

By the way, if you haven't seen it, you'll never be completely happy in your life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3bVgCRixcU

titankore:

boybokeh:

titankore:

I'm just saying alot of people would quite if they didn't make money, but with us all working together it would be a fairly easy do it at your own pace website.
step 3. ?

I think the "money" part should only come if and when we all know each other REAL well, because money CAN stir up some assassination attempts.

titankore:

boybokeh:

titankore:

step 3. ?

I mean, it takes only one sentence to light the fuse: "I don't think i'm getting a fair share of the profits", and variations.

Other common explosive materials include "we should host it in a cheaper server", "we should accept the advertising offer of that other guy" "we should stop THIS merchandise because it ain't selling" etc...

If I were to resubmit, I would create a comic called, "Confessions of a Recovering Gamer." It would chronicle how my perceptions of reality have been influenced by my gaming and the stupid things I do as a result.

Aww,I wish there was an update on the contest...

Well either way I'm game. I've been trying to find a way to submit my own comic for a while. I'm not to concerned with pay either.

williebaz:
Are they going to keep coming out with the stolen pixels after the new comic gets approved?

yeah, Stolen Pixels will still keep on going. This is just another comic they're adding.

It would be difficult for me to describe how bored the idea of attaching some kind of profit scheme to an otherwise fun and creative activity actually makes me.

Look; I like money. I love money. Not as a means to an end. I just like to hold it and smell it and stuff and put it in a jar and take it for walks with me, but I digress. To talk about money in the same breath as an ad hoc organisation like the one we're hypothesizing is reasonably pointless.

There are two pretty significant reasons why:

1) Devising some kind of mechanism to earn money from this takes time and effort. It doesn't come inherently. That time and effort could be spent doing fun stuff, like, ummm, making comics. I appreciate that you may have "extensive experience running a business", whatever that actually entails, but just discussing this idea in monetary terms is souring it for me... there is no product yet. There is no actual group yet. I honestly don't think anybody who read the thread and the suggestions regarding a comic-jam inferred any kind of commercial aspect to that endeavour. Chill.

2) It would be safest to assume that a sizable chunk of the talent-pool is going to be less-than-stellar. That may very well include me, but I'm not really inclined to get anybody else to foot the bill for something that I don't think deserves it. Sure, somebody may have a crudely rendered, yet ingeniously written masterpiece waiting in the wings, but I'd rather wait and see if that's the case than blindly assume that it is.

Look upon this as a chance to improve your skills, not rake in some rupees.

Web hosting cost next to nothing. And unless the market changed since last I checked, the profits of a non existent collaboration is still zero. I only vaguely followed the conversation but it sure seems like there's dozens of more important elements for you to discuss if you are serious about that project.

Personally, if I were you guys I would think about how much trouble you have motivating yourselves. Now imagine motivating others in the same spectrum, to contribute an equal share of effort. Honestly, I'm pretty sure that's what hell is gonna be like for us writers who've suckered an artist to do our bidding.

If you love your characters and you agree they are worthy of a paid contract with an online publication, then I would argue they are also worthy of their own .com without the nightmare of sharing it with others.

Just my two cents. My domain is all ready to go. Just in limbo till I know which bid won.

boybokeh:

titankore:

Edit: I think Shamus would probably be the first to congratulate any Escape rejects that went on to further success.

It was just something he said in his blog, that, wait, I'll quote it directly here...

Shamus:
I don't want to miss some undiscovered XKCD because of this sort of thing. I'm reminded of the Penny Arcade story where their comic was rejected by an editor. From the perspective of Gabe & Tycho it was simply another trial to endure, another slope on the way to the summit. But for someone trying to pick a winner it can serve as a cautionary tale. Odds are very good that one of the three hundred and forty five non-winning entries will go on to find some sort of success. They'll probably do it just to spite me. Their merchandising alone will exceed my household income, and their biggest selling item will be their logo with a "Rejected by Shamus Young" stamp over it, a satirical jab at my failure to detect their greatness. I'll be known as the hack who didn't realize that "Two Game Designers on a Couch with a Cat" was destined for world-class greatness.

That's the nightmare I keep having, anyway.

I mean the "Rejected by Shamus" title more as a joke because there are 300+ of us that won't win, so it's bound to happen.

SCREW THE MONEY WE HAVE RULES~!

wait no, anyways, seriously enough talk about money, how about a site where all the people who don't win can have their comics hosted, bringing in more viewers than if we all went our separate ways? I don't know about a colab comic series, but at least links or separate galleries on a site could be worked out.

I hosted a community much like what is being described from the Penny Arcade forums with about 2 dozen artists and it was a nightmare. So from personal experience, you're gonna end up with about 50 artists who aren't updating. Anyone serious about their comic already has plans for it - or will make plans for it if it hits popularity.

I hate to be the stick-in-the-mud fellas but you probably have better ways to spend your time. And there's already three or four web comic communities that already provide this exact service.

Eyeshock:
I hosted a community much like what is being described from the Penny Arcade forums with about 2 dozen artists and it was a nightmare. So from personal experience, you're gonna end up with about 50 artists who aren't updating. Anyone serious about their comic already has plans for it - or will make plans for it if it hits popularity.

I hate to be the stick-in-the-mud fellas but you probably have better ways to spend your time. And there's already three or four web comic communities that already provide this exact service.

It couldn't hurt to just create a free blog and whatever happens, happens..

I'm not really feeling the need for a separate site, to be honest, or to engage in something long-term. I was sort of expecting to contribute a page and move on with my life. This is something that could happen in a separate thread... I'd probably avoid starting a new site just for this.

Well like it was mentioned earlier, it depends on how commited a person is to their comic/the comic their working on with other people. It's hard I know because I still need a colorest. but the point is: If you can find a group of people who have the motivation, you can make something worth while because you have a group of minds that can bounce ideas off eachother, and idealy make a stronger comic for themselfs from the input from the people around them. However it IS hard to find a group of motivated people.

SmugFrog:
I wonder how many people will read the "fine print"?

By participating in this contest, contestants grant Themis Group, Inc. the right to print, publish, broadcast and use worldwide in any media now known or hereafter developed, including, without limitation, the World Wide Web, at any time or times, the contestant's name, as news or for public information and education without additional consideration or compensation. Any entry becomes the property of Themis Group, Inc. and will not be returned. Entrants surrender copyright and all interests therein of their submissions to Themis Group, Inc. with the understanding that the materials may be used for promotional purposes.

A little restrictive - but I suppose it is a way to get something on the resume if you're not going to publish something you want to own the rights to.

This is exactly one of the reasons why I gave up on my writing ambitions. Basically you can't submit to a publisher nowadays without signing a contract that basically says they have the right to rob you.

A lot of people in writing will tell you that such contracts seek to protect the publisher, and that nobody is going to steal an idea down the road because everyone has enough of their own ideas in any kind of creative industry that they "Want to do given the oppertunity" that they certainly aren't going to be interested in yours. I believe The Escapist had an article called "Your idea sucks" saying the same basic thing in regards to video game ideas.

On the other hand my experience has shown exactly the opposite. I'm still a fairly big fan of the product of an RPG company called "Palladiumbooks" and used to frequent their forums regularly (I don't anymore, and no it's not because I was banned or anything). For anyone who has followed things like RIFTS, Heroes Unlimited, or whatever you might have some knowlege of the things that happened to some of their more prolific writers like CJ Carella, and Bill Coffin over a period of time, and how it didn't end happily. As well as old allegations revolving around D&D/AD&D about Gary Gygax stealing the work of other people and putting his name on it due to some contract that claimed he had the right to, which is allegedly what started the chain of events that lead to him being booted by his own company.

I am intentionally avoiding specifics on a lot of this, and I could mention other things. However in general the danger tends to be less that someone will steal your work verbatim, but rather take ideas or pieces from it as part of another work, and not give you any credit. Say for example you make a TV pilot or movie that doesn't get picked up, but becomes the property of some studio. Down the road someone doesn't take your work directly, but liked a couple of ideas or specific scenes and how you shot them which were really creative, and then does the same thing verbatim in his own work and winds up being lauded as a genius for basically copying you...

Despite how this might sound I doubt anything will happen to those that do submit to this contests, but yeah... I agree that is really restrictive. I have no artistic talent, but if I did I would try and avoid this, and would be a lot more receptive if the host could find some way of covering themselves without basically legally contracting their right to rob you.

It is however not unusual, that's pretty much what you'd have to agree to just to submit to a hobby magazine like an RPG periodical or whatever.

so i've been lurking, reading on-and-off looking for news about the contest.

am i to understand that the plan is for the losers to create a site for their webcomics? like, one giant video-game/technology couch-filled website full of comics? because if so, count me in and let me know how to get involved.

I say we make a couch fort

NpPro93:
so i've been lurking, reading on-and-off looking for news about the contest.

am i to understand that the plan is for the losers to create a site for their webcomics? like, one giant video-game/technology couch-filled website full of comics? because if so, count me in and let me know how to get involved.

It's a "maybe". anything more I cannot say.

I think we should do a site with all the lurkers (myself included) with comics about what they are lurking at, and the news in the world of lurking. All the vast amounts of money which this venture will rake in will be split amongst the lurkers who are truly dedicated to the art of lurking.

trbomtnt:
I think we should do a site with all the lurkers (myself included) with comics about what they are lurking at, and the news in the world of lurking. All the vast amounts of money which this venture will rake in will be split amongst the lurkers who are truly dedicated to the art of lurking.

all this talk of lurkers makes me think of Jak and Daxter...

To quote Shikimaru:"What a drag..."

Pages PREV 1 . . . 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or