Escape to the Movies: Edge of Darkness

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

mel gibson may be farther off the edge than courtney love but if theres one thing he knows, its storytelling. alot of people dont give him credit for that, but if you need a good example, check out apocolypto

esperandote:
Not as tired of religion related movies as of moviebob ranting about religion related movies.

actually what seems to get his panties in a twist is anything Christian.

Honestly don't know what MovieBob has against religion in media. And The Book of Eli is vastly less cliched than this movie. You might as well just slap a "Hello, my name is ____. You killed/kidnapped my family, prepare to die" sticker on it and move on.

A movie based around Mel just going around beating people up is praiseworthy, but the action in Eli apparently isn't worth anything? O wait, it has the Bible in it, automatic fail then. :/

I'd like to hear the off topic rambling about The Berenstain Bears.

JWAN:

esperandote:
Not as tired of religion related movies as of moviebob ranting about religion related movies.

Yup. I thought that too.

Sylocat:

Omega Hunter 9:
I want the Barenstein Bears Treatise!

As do I.

As do I. I freakin' loved the Berenstain Bears growing up.

Also great review Bob.

Yeah, I'll wait till it's free for me.

And I am kinda sporting wood for Ryan Reynolds as GREEN FUCKING LANTERN!!!!

esperandote:

JWAN:

esperandote:

Yup. I thought that too.

I third this.

Makes me unhappy.

You say the two Zorro movies but for the life of me I can only remember there being one, then again my memory tends to be a bit on the crap side.

Good movie or not, I'll slit my throat with a pencil sharpener before I'll give my money to this antisemitic bastard. Suck my Jewish balls, Gibson.

I'll give it a look--honestly, I thought he was going to peg this as Mel Gibson's ripoff of "Taken."

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait!

The guy who directed this, two of my favorite Bond films and both Zorro movies? I may not be in the majority of uber-Lantern fans*, but I can safely say I feel optimistic about Green Lantern movie.

*The character is growing on me, I just haven't spent the time to read up on any other book, aside from the Secret Origins story.

Since Bob has raised little controversy this week by pointing out that a mature take on Payback or Taken is not a bad idea for a movie, let me point out a technicality.

Back when this video series started, I (and many others) advised Bob in a comments thread to buy a decent microphone. He didn't. Now it's too late.

Yahtzee once changed microphones and people are still drawing conspiracy theories about whether or not he's been replaced by a shapeshifting alien, and his recordings are pretty neutral. If and when Bob stops recording these things in his mobile phone while he takes a crap in an echoey bathroom because whatever he's used so far has malfunctioned, there is no way the segment will have the same feel, rythm and texture than it does now.

Oh, well...

As for the movie, I'm glad to see Gibson rescued from the dark, dark pit he sinks into when he directs. He is a star and he thinks he's really, really talented because having your pet movie get a bunch of Oscars does that to people who are already making seven figures per gig. It's not that he's a bad director, he's just as formulaic, by-the-book and straightforward as they come. If he didn't lack the sense of self-restraint Clint Easwood has I'd even use the word "classic" to refer to his style.

Anyway, the thing is he's a much better actor than he's given credit for. He is one of those everyman actors that can instantly connect. His characters are "a guy" from the moment the film starts. He's been underused in this role his entire career (probably because of his own tastes, his early action roles and a shortsighted agent somewhere), but when he's had some material, he's generally pulled it off. Signs is probably still his best shot at it, and he absolutely saves that movie from the masturbatory limbo that is Shyamalan's filmography, just like Bruce Willis does in Unbreakable.

That is hard.

I mean, for reference on how hard that actually is, check out The Happening, in which Mark Whalberg delivers a performance using only his nostrils. Not the same thing.

I personally hate Mel Gibson. Well not so much him, as his ego. Dear God does he wallow in his own ego like a drunken sea world trainer wallows in dolphin feces...well yeah aside from that. I never really planned on seeing this movie and this review, while its good to know its not crap (didn't think it was) i still have no motivation to go see it. When anybody else saw the trailer did they think: "hm...a story about a bad ass action dad, who is a respected actor, killing everyone in the name of his daughter....wait isn't this just like Taken?"

Oh and Bob, I suggest you watch Gallipoli. There, Mel Gibson's best friends die and he can't do anything about it! Its great!

Mel Gibson: Fucking crazy Jesus nut, as well as a fucking good as hell filmmaker. A true love/hate relationship with moviegoers.

Pretty funny episode.

Meh, I don't doubt MovieBob's positive review this time, but that still doesn't look like my kind of movie. Maybe I'll see it if my university features it for free.

So... Taken 2?

Maybe a rental, may be solid, but doesn't get me wanting to go to the cinema.

Eh, I was sort of in the camp of "whatever" when I first heard about this movie. But yeah, Mel Gibson's Family dies a lot in movies in which he's got a leading role, doesn't it?

But I dunno. Now that I see this review, I might see it if only because I liked The Patriot.

jabrwock:
As much as I didn't like The Patriot, Gibson did what he does best. Play a revenge-seeking BAMF.

Yeah, he does that a LOT. However, you don't even have to kill his family- just endager them.

Like in this movie.

I couldn't find the other trailer it had, which was just the scene where he spreads the money out on the table and declares in that "too damn worn out to care anymore" voice that the ransom money for his son is now a reward for the heads of the kidnappers. When I saw that in the theater, I went "...whoa."

EDIT: Found the scene, at least. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-UrJiiPUoY

I'm starting to think that the "morally ambiguous/shady and secretive weapons manufacture" trope is becoming a little well worn. So far it has been put to good use (Iron Man, GI Joe, this movie...), but I am starting to wonder if it will eventually end up in the same bin as the "botched super-solider project" trope games keep using.

I'm really excited to see this for two reasons, 1. Bob approves 2. They filmed in my hometown! if anyone wants to kill aimhellfire here's your clue.

ahh, doesn't look as good as "Taken" yeah, he wants vengeance for his dead kid, but just imagine if his kid were kid-napped, sold into slavery, and there was a dead line for when he could rescue her...yeah...this movie doesn't seem like it would be AS thrilling...

PS: knew about green lantern like 4 months ago, renolds is also gunna be in a dead pool movie(and no not the one from at the end of xmen origins, the one from the begining) =P

Got another one for the list of movies with Mel Gibson + Family member murdered = revenge. Hamlet.

-Zen-:
I was expecting this movie to be a winner. Mel Gibson may have a twinge of crazy in him, but the man is talented.

That's kind of how it works.

Batshit crazy == fairly interesting to watch in movies.

QUINTIX:
I'm starting to think that the "morally ambiguous/shady and secretive weapons manufacture" trope is becoming a little well worn. So far it has been put to good use (Iron Man, GI Joe, this movie...), but I am starting to wonder if it will eventually end up in the same bin as the "botched super-solider project" trope games keep using.

Probably is getting abused because it is kind of based in reality.

Good review, but your opinion was completely different than mine. In fact, I think I'm starting to disagree with you more and more. See, before I agreed with nearly every movie you liked an disliked, but now it seems different. I thought this movie to be boring and predictable while I absolutely loved The Book of Eli. To each his own, though.

ahh... finaly over the christianity rage and back to good and fun reviews!

OT: mel gibson might be a nut, but he a damn good actor. this movie sounds pretty awesome to me, will probably watch it.

REYON RENALDS GREEN LATREN!!!! SOUNDS AMAZING!!!

Hell yeah I love the 'revenge' genre.
Thanks for bringing it to my attention Moviebob.

It looked kind of bland from the promos, but after your review, I'll definitely give it a watch. I might even go and see it in theaters, since I haven't seen a movie in theaters since Zombieland.

sometime I feel the number of comments doesn't reflect how fucking awesome somethings are. So keep up the good work mate, Love what your doing, Checking the escapist each day just to see when your next vid is released.

/Fanboy

on the new movie topic, green lantern ryan renolds=good
Ryan Renolds Deadpool movie=superior

Oh, don't you fucking touch the BBs. Don't you dare.

esperandote:

JWAN:

esperandote:

Yup. I thought that too.

A decade of Catholic school will do that to a guy.

Also, when people keep prodding and provoking his hangup with Christianity, I start to wonder if he's not justified in having it.

Mel gibson is awsome. May give it a look.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here