Stolen Pixels #164: Rollie the Roleplayer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #164: Rollie the Roleplayer

Some RPGs are made for epic fantasy roleplaying. Others...?

Read Full Article

Yeah, this is why you don't need to have "role playing" in an RPG. Because otherwise, Torchlight wouldn't be classified as an RPG.

RPGs are about leveling in the end.

Heh... an RPG for fun?!!
Who would play a game for fun?
Oh... wait...
Sorry, I'm thinking of overly competitive games...
Still, another good comic. Good for a laugh.

"Thumb up your ass" made me laugh. I only recently read your entire back-catalogue Shamus, but I'm deeply impressed!

(Also, Rorshach could be used again if you have a mind to!)

"Torchlight" (and the "Diablo" series) remind me more of the hack-n-slash/dungeon-crawler theme used in the original D&D games, kind of like "roguelike" games. I heard people not wanting to lump "roguelike" games as RPGs, which strikes me as odd since both "roguelike" games and the "bioware" RPGs stem from the same roots. *shrugs.*

In some ways I'm not sure I don't think computer RPGs could pull off the complexity of a "Role Played" story like the original paper RPGs, though I really love dungeon-crawlers with minimal stories like these. I haven't played a lot of the current Bioware games and even their old ones tend to do little to attract me. I just wish more games jump straight to the "fun", as your punchline stated Shamus. Great comic! :D

Another good one, Shamus - it's no After Curfew, but still hella funny. I recently spent a couple of hours playing Torchlight and got crazy bored. Thank you isohunt for enabling me to try before buying!

Ironically, Torchlight has plenty of story for the first 30 minutes - there's a set of NPC companions, a wizard's tragic downfall, and a half-dozen quests to complete.

And then you are told, Go 30 levels further down. I hear maybe there's an end boss somewhere? Have fun.

Yeah there really needs to be some other sorta genre for the Diablo-style hack'n'slash games.

I love Torchlight so much.

canadamus_prime:
Yeah there really needs to be some other sorta genre for the Diablo-style hack'n'slash games.

Why not rpg? >_>

It's possible to play pretty much any of the pen & paper rpg has mindless hack and slash game too if you want. Some people will tell you you 'aren't really playing a rpg' but technically you're using the rules to simulate battle and just skipping the 'role play'. It's do-able. Tons of people do it.

I agree here with Yahtzee and Shamus about RPG's they take to long sometimes to get through the story and to the part where i pres buttons or click the mouse. Good comic to make us laugh off the frustration.

The term "RPG" is grossly overused (abused).

As I mentioned before, to me, an RPG is a game with enough freedom that it enables you to choose your own adventures.
In this sense Oblivion, Fallout 3 and GTA are RPGs. Diablo and Dragon Age Origins aren't. Diablo is too limited to be an RPG and in Dragon Age you are tied to play the adventure the designers envisioned.

Best. Stolen Pixels. EVAR!!!

This is a really great comic! Way to go Mr. Young!

This is why everyone should love Torchlight; you get to click! A lot!

RPG works fine for everybody. It works by exclusion, as most categorization does -> since it's not a shoot'em up, and it's not a strategy game, it must be an RPG. Some might call it a cRPG (computer rpg) but that's anal. Some would say it's a Diablo-clone, but I leave them alone.

Anyway, the game was fun. Kudos for it running on my no-spec laptop, and I certainly had fun picking up random items and beating the snot out of mindless monsters for a few levels. Bought it on the christmas steam sale for 7, what a bargain!

Also, just in case anyone is wondering*, an RPG is a game in which you can invest yourself in the character and believe in them. Beyond Good & Evil, for example, has the sort of character and world investment I mean, as did Portal, the first Halo, and of course the Thief games. Even though I wouldn't call them Role Playing Games as per the usual definition, for the span of their stories I was *in* the character and *in* the world, and I was playing a role.

Also, I am fast coming to consider Seamus Young as one of the best comic dudes out there, machinima or not. And this comic has killer punchline. Spot on.

*Pfffff, who am I kidding.

i never noticed that torchlight was an rpg, after John Funks flattering review i just bought it and had a ton of fun, but i honestly thought it was in the hack n slash category, which I'm just realizing isn't a real category, its just one of those words gamers use to clarify what type of game you can expect, good thing the game industry dont worry about such silly things.

Why not call them:
1 - Third Person Looters (TPL)
2 - Hack'n Slashers (HnS)
3 - Dungeon Crawls... but Fun (DCbF)
4 - Not Quite Diablo (NQD)

RiffRaff:
Why not call them:
2 - Hack'n Slashers (HnS)
3 - Dungeon Crawls... but Fun (DCbF)
4 - Not Quite Diablo (NQD)

Ha ha ha!

I vote #1 - Third Person Looters.

I tried to like Torchlight, but for some reason it couldn't keep my attention the way Diablo did.

Or, perhaps, I've just evolved as a player?

Nah...

Leslee

I also vote Third Person Looter. It evokes the mindless fun of a first person shooter and is accurate in noting one of the two primary motivators (loot). (Power from leveling is the other, which makes me think "Levelers" may be as accurate).

Maybe "Level and Loot Games?"

Third person looter. I like it.

I'll also cast my vote for Third-Person Looter. That's an excellent description.

canadamus_prime:

Aye, agreed.

On another noted...lol

Excellent and nuanced take on Torchlight, Shamus. It's nothing fancy, but it's fun and entertaining and looks good. This should be forwarded to Yahtzee, and anyone else who likes games but doesn't have ADHD.

Godeke:
I also vote Third Person Looter. It evokes the mindless fun of a first person shooter and is accurate in noting one of the two primary motivators (loot). (Power from leveling is the other, which makes me think "Levelers" may be as accurate).

Both have an "L" in them. "TPL" can apply to either. Or both. Perhaps alternately.

Try reading the mage in a scratchie-cackling voice, it gets better XD

Games such as Diablo, Fate, Torchlight, etc etc etc could legitimately be called 'Roguelikes', in some circles they already bear the unofficial term.

Convoluted movies that force you to fiddle with the controller every so often while running spreadsheets in the background are firmly in JRPG territory.

Games that you'd play eight or more times just to find pathway in the story you missed the first seven times can be called legitimate RPGs (KotOR, Oblivion, Mass Effect, and Jade Empire all come to mind) IMNSHO.

I would cast vote for TPL (Third Person Looters), if only there were more of them.

I find roleplaying offline to be useless. I mean, I talk to myself a lot, but to me roleplaying with NPCs is weird.

BehattedWanderer:
I would cast vote for TPL (Third Person Looters), if only there were more of them.

Then get off your lazy gamer ass and start making more of them then! I think TPL is an excellent name for them. It's got my vote.

And great strip as usual Shamus.

That was awesome :P

Xorghul:

BehattedWanderer:

Then get off your lazy gamer ass and start making more of them then! I think TPL is an excellent name for them. It's got my vote.

Pardon? My lazy gaming ass is busy doing metallographic research into the effects of Boron as an intermetallic additive to have time to learn to create a game. Would I like too? Of course I would, but it turns out that one needs years of experience to do such a thing, not just a passing fancy. In the meantime, while I partake in a casual tasting and sampling of what that world has to offer (and what I would have to sacrifice that it might offer), I shall continue my arduous research and study of micrographs, microscopy by transmission and scanning of electrons and their mappings, and elemental planar analysis, seeing as it pays the bills.

Tarkand:

canadamus_prime:

Why not rpg? >_>

It's possible to play pretty much any of the pen & paper rpg has mindless hack and slash game too if you want. Some people will tell you you 'aren't really playing a rpg' but technically you're using the rules to simulate battle and just skipping the 'role play'. It's do-able. Tons of people do it.

Ok, perhaps a sub-genre then.

RiffRaff:
Why not call them:

I wonder if there's someone we can talk to to make this kind of thing official...

Hahaha! That's the best backstory ever.

What time I set aside for webcomics, it's all yours.
You awesome.

BehattedWanderer:

Xorghul:

BehattedWanderer:

Pardon? My lazy gaming ass is busy doing metallographic research into the effects of Boron as an intermetallic additive to have time to learn to create a game. Would I like too? Of course I would, but it turns out that one needs years of experience to do such a thing, not just a passing fancy. In the meantime, while I partake in a casual tasting and sampling of what that world has to offer (and what I would have to sacrifice that it might offer), I shall continue my arduous research and study of micrographs, microscopy by transmission and scanning of electrons and their mappings, and elemental planar analysis, seeing as it pays the bills.

Yeah, but...uhm..you...err...Two camels in a tiny car!

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)