The Escapist Presents: Walkthrough of Dante's Inferno

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Walkthrough of Dante's Inferno

The Escapist's Susan Arendt plays through the Lust level of Dante's Inferno.

Watch Video

Eeeew...
Boob babies

Nicely done, still look forward to this game, maybe even more now.

Also, I love how it says
"DANTE'S INFERNO

Go to hell"

Really interested to see how the whole game comes together, I'm a bit worried, though, since all these Devil May Cry style games are just leaking out...

Wow, looks gorgeous.

Btw, isn't a little disturbing the first monster that appears is a sexy beast with a giant penis claw?
Just saying.

That Guy has never read the Divine Comedy in his life.

Just don't even bother comparing it.

Damn, they didn't even try to cover up the fact that they ripped off God of War.

Babies.

Coming out of a gigantic woman's breasts.

.........WHAT?

I am getting so damn sick of the slim justification for this bastardization of literature being: "a game about a guy walking through hell would be dead boring."

I look forward to when EA releases Crime and Punishment, The Game. "A game about the conscience of a murderer would have been boring, so we jazzed it up by turning Raskolnikov into an ex-soldier who is framed for murder and has to fight off the police and discover who framed him. Oh, and Napoleon is mentioned in the book but he has quite a minor role, so we made him one of the bosses because that would be more fun for the player."

The game looks pretty good. From what I've seen so far, I'll definitely give it a try.

Artemus_Cain:
Damn, they didn't even try to cover up the fact that they ripped off God of War.

GoW didn't hide the fact that they ripped off Devil May Cry, Super Mario Bros., Turok, Golden Axe and every damn game that came before it.

Really, just because a game has similar elements of gameplay doesn't make it a rip off.

This game...is more sick and demented than I thought. But it reaches my eager need of always wanting to kill babies! DOWN WITH CHILDREN!

oh and, hehehehe, boobies.

(just to make this immature!)

Meh. Looks like any other button smasher game in the past few years.

Visuals seem nice, but I can't imagine anyone wanting to play this game for the story. Read the actual poem if you want the story.

you fight boobs in hell

Dammit, me mum walked in on the video after a very EXTENDED scene of tits.

"I'm killing baies....I'm killing babies..."

I know I'm a sick man but this should not have made me laugh as hard as it did.

I'm in two minds about this game, I already bought Darksiders and Bayonetta recently, so Dante would have to be pretty damn special to make me want to play another fighter. May have to rent it first.

wow its like they went "hmm... modern warfare 2 had you play as a terrorist you know how we can top that BABY MURDER". you can't tell me that they aren't just trying to get PR sales with this kind of game. they are just waiting for some dumb religious lackey to shout "blasphemy" so everyone and their grandma will have to check it out. all in all it seems boring to me. i might pick it up cause it does look nice visually but story-wise it seems utterly boring and lame. and also I'm confused is it based off the book and the circles of hell cause if that's the case i can't wait to see how they justify ancient homophobia in that rapists and murders have a lesser sentence in hell than homosexuals. or is it like a total re imagining but with the same title, you know like pretty much every Mario game.

they didn't eve tried to cover all the cliches

when will we get to see shakespeare kicking ass?

I'm not in the slightest interested in this game, although I am impressed by some of the visuals they ahve used to represent different areas from the original poem. Plus, kudos to them for making nudity and sexuality look outright disgusting - ideal for a depiction of hell.

Shamanic Rhythm:
I am getting so damn sick of the slim justification for this bastardization of literature being: "a game about a guy walking through hell would be dead boring."

I look forward to when EA releases Crime and Punishment, The Game. "A game about the conscience of a murderer would have been boring, so we jazzed it up by turning Raskolnikov into an ex-soldier who is framed for murder and has to fight off the police and discover who framed him. Oh, and Napoleon is mentioned in the book but he has quite a minor role, so we made him one of the bosses because that would be more fun for the player."

Genius.
You are right though, it would be interesting to see a game which pushes the boundries of interactive fiction and doesn't resort to the safe conventions. Have you ever played "The Path"? It is an indy game which retells the story of little red riding hood. As a typical game, it is extremely boring, but as a piece of interactive fiction, it is fairly interesting and unique. The problem is that people view games as "something purely for fun" so every great story is secondary to the game paly element. I'd like to see more game makers give players the benefit of the doubt, put story first, and try not to make something overtly "fun".

O_O Must get this game now...jesus its a dream come true.

It's hardly a god of war rip off, i think they were too busy taking the code/art from devil may cry to think about GOW.
it wasn't until i saw the trailer that i realised it WASN't Devil may cry 10 or whatever number they are at now, and i'm still not 100% sure.

though i'm sure anyone who has tried to teach their sister or girlfriend to play games found that a little funny.
"no you press l2 for fire, l1 is ice, look let me do it"

It's funny how they're like, "We admire Dante's poem so much, but that shit is too boring, so let's fight Cleopatra's boobies in hell. Cleopatra's hot, in shit, and I think that Dante had always wanted to put her topless in his poem. Nothing says literary integrity more than gratuitous nudity. Our next game, "Romeo and Juliet" where the Capulets will be made up of naked burlesque dancers and Romeo must fight the dreaded Tibolt who shoots out retarded game developers out of his penis."

Xyphon:
The game looks pretty good. From what I've seen so far, I'll definitely give it a try.

Artemus_Cain:

GoW didn't hide the fact that they ripped off Devil May Cry, Super Mario Bros., Turok, Golden Axe and every damn game that came before it.

Really, just because a game has similar elements of gameplay doesn't make it a rip off.

But if I may amend a certin reviewer's quote, It isn't similar to God of War, it IS God of War. It looks like they just made new sprites, or whatever, and copy-pasted the gameplay, aesthetics, and pretty much everything else from Kratos' killing spree. Yeah it's okay to draw inspiration from multiple sources, but this is just fucking lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give it a spin but it's definatly not GOTY material and it'll probably be forgotten in under a decade.

"Like God Of War but..."

the main character is named Dante.

Oh wait, why am I suddenly thinking of Devil May Cry?

So does making a ripoff off of a ripoff simply a new flash-copy of the original game?

This video honestly just lowers my expetations of the game. I'm just extremely sceptical that they can make this into something more than just a ripoff.

Not to brag or anything, but here in sweden its released tomorrow, im so cutting school for this thing. This book is amazing and even though I know they will be raping the story and its a GoW ripoff I just dont care because I get to fight half-women-half-Muk-monster who eat your head if u dont watch out.. and ofc , creepy babies with swords for hands.

Okay people reeeeaaaaally need to stop calling this a God of War ripoff.
I swear, you can't make any kind of brawler-type game EVER without someone either calling it a God of War ripoff or Devil May Cry ripoff. Why is it so hard to just look at a game for what it is and judge that, before we compare it to everything else? To me, this game looks awesome, and I really don't care if it has similarities to other games, that doesn't mean AT ALL that the developers were ripping them off.

Also,

It's funny how they're like, "We admire Dante's poem so much, but that shit is too boring, so let's fight Cleopatra's boobies in hell. Cleopatra's hot, in shit, and I think that Dante had always wanted to put her topless in his poem. Nothing says literary integrity more than gratuitous nudity. Our next game, "Romeo and Juliet" where the Capulets will be made up of naked burlesque dancers and Romeo must fight the dreaded Tibolt who shoots out retarded game developers out of his penis."

Can you imagine what it would be like if they had stuck hardfast to the poem's story? Dante would all in all be a regular guy walking his way through hell, occasionally collapsing on the way and not having any way to fight back...

Yeah, that makes for a fun game, am I right?

Also, Cleopatra is naked because it's the LUST level. Get it? LUST. And if you find something about her figure the least bit appealing, I have to say right now there is something wrong with you.

Artemus_Cain:

Xyphon:

Artemus_Cain:

But if I may amend a certin reviewer's quote, It isn't similar to God of War, it IS God of War. It looks like they just made new sprites, or whatever, and copy-pasted the gameplay, aesthetics, and pretty much everything else from Kratos' killing spree. Yeah it's okay to draw inspiration from multiple sources, but this is just fucking lazy.

Don't get me wrong, I'll give it a spin but it's definatly not GOTY material and it'll probably be forgotten in under a decade.

You know, I'm really sick of this arguement by now. How many third person shooters look exactly like resident evil 4/gears of war these days? However when it comes to hack and slash, it seems like people only want to say it is god of war or devil may cry.

That being said, I played the demo and I can tell you that it is the christianity based GoW. However, I'm not solely talking about the combat (the fact that people only point to this is what's getting to me).

Allow me to go into detail here.

If you're going to reference as copying, reference the plot rather than the wide-range attacks and brutality of the combos that fit in a game based around someone going into the very place where thousands of demons live.

Dante Alighieri is rolling in his grave...

Oh look, another beat-em-up with gratuitous amounts of sex and gore. And take a look at the beautiful shades of brown and grit! A shirtless muscleman with an improbable weapon? Where do they come up with this stuff?
/sarcasm

The only thing that remotely interested me were the magic spells.

It strikes me as a circular logic. It would be boring if you used the original poem in it's actual form to make your game? Well don't use the original poem then. Why don't you, and I know I'm really thinking outside the box here, come up with your own ideas instead of leeching off something else?
The game doesn't look bad, but why do they have to make it Dante's Inferno? Why not General McHackySlash's Wild Adventures Through Hell?

iKiller:
Okay people reeeeaaaaally need to stop calling this a God of War ripoff.
I swear, you can't make any kind of brawler-type game EVER without someone either calling it a God of War ripoff or Devil May Cry ripoff. Why is it so hard to just look at a game for what it is and judge that, before we compare it to everything else? To me, this game looks awesome, and I really don't care if it has similarities to other games, that doesn't mean AT ALL that the developers were ripping them off.

Also,

Can you imagine what it would be like if they had stuck hardfast to the poem's story? Dante would all in all be a regular guy walking his way through hell, occasionally collapsing on the way and not having any way to fight back...

Yeah, that makes for a fun game, am I right?

Also, Cleopatra is naked because it's the LUST level. Get it? LUST. And if you find something about her figure the least bit appealing, I have to say right now there is something wrong with you.

I'm sorry, I must have missed the news story where EA were forced at gunpoint to develop this game, or even simply to name it "Dante's Inferno".

EA is marketing the hell out of this game.

I just saw that they're coming out with a straight-to-DVD cartoon of Dante's Inferno... Just like they did with Dead Space.

They realize it's a blatant ripoff of God of War, but figure they can garner cred via gratuitous nudity and what not... Problem is, when you've played enough video games, something like this doesn't shock me anymore. It's almost kind of... sad... :( My god... I've dulled my senses.

Baby killing? Only a team of men would come up with that.

This is such a "male geek-game".

unholy baby minions coming out of her boobs? Ewwww thats not right!

Pallindromemordnillap:

The game doesn't look bad, but why do they have to make it Dante's Inferno? Why not General McHackySlash's Wild Adventures Through Hell?

I think I'd be much more likely to play it if they named it that.

And kudos to Susan for not bopping the guy on the head when he was implying that she didn't know how to play games.

This Looks Awesome

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or