Zero Punctuation: Dark Void

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Pilot Wings on the N64 had jetpacks, as did Star Wars: Bounty Hunter.

So do you think that, if Dark Void sells well, we might see a 'complete' game in Dark Void 2?

Yay! The videos will take up all of my screen now. I was getting tired of the black bars on the sides...

Haha, that part with the cleavage and the christmas tree made me laugh a lot. Wooo, new phrase for the week

You're definitely back in form. Not that there was any doubt...

I havn´t played Darkvoid, so i cant tell if its good or not. But Hell, it was one of your best reviews! You were talking much faster, really improving the fun for me, and there where so much gags in it that i could not get them all in the first watch, and thats definately a sign for awesomness!

Yet another game that flew under my radar for a long time (hahaha). Though i must admit that the demo was fun, so maybe i'll get it in a couple of months. Great review as alwyas.

I think I'll get it anyway. I have a weird tendency of clinging to the good bits of a game and really enjoying it despite the bad stuff. From the review it seems the good stuff are good enough to make it worth buying, at least when it gets cheaper in a few months.

...Wow i didn't expect that, he actually had some good things to say about the game.
Ive played the demo and i thought it was utterly shit.

sumguitardude:
...Wow i didn't expect that, he actually had some good things to say about the game.
Ive played the demo and i thought it was utterly shit.

The demo really doesn't do the game justice in many respects. The demo is simply put, awful. The game itself has plenty of flaws but manages to still be good fun while being flawed.

I have to agree that the game feels to short for what it's trying to tell, you really get a sense the story cuts corners here and there to make it to the end.

The thing that disturbed me about this game is the controls (on PC then ofc) It takes hours to learn how to fly cuz u are not able to hit shit while on the jetpack.

If ur not an Flight Simulation nerd: Dont try it on PC, unless u really wanna fly around getting annoyed by the time it takes to learn to fly normaly with the jetpack (1-2h+).

On ground the the game works pretty well exept the fact that you have to restart the whole level when dying.

Yahtzee's the most positive review I've seen for this game? Fitting for a game where the protagonist flies through the Bermuda Triangle... I feel like this is some kind of Bizarro world!

te he heee

AWP at 3:15 =D

Hmm... Seems interesting. Might rent it eventually.

And Yahtzee, was that the bacon flow chart you used there?

Good review. I'm enjoying the newer, wider wide-screen format.

You forgot Rocket Ranger in the "inspiration" o-meter

Hmm that's interesting to see that Dark Void had some chance of hope, but all hope was lost at some point. This week's review was a really good one; the alzheimer's patient part at the end was a nice way to cap it off.

NewClassic:

Shamanic Enzan:
Makes you wonder just how much money it'll take for the studios to let someone actually finish a decent game.

Depending on how you define decent game, but there are arguably examples out there. The games Indigo Prophecy (Farenheit in most other countries) and Shenmue both saw a lot more development time and budget than many games do, are ambitious, and accomplish the scope of their dreams. So it's not impossible to find an example of games that really spent the money and time.

They're out there, if you look, just not many of them.

I should have defined my statement a bit more, I meant recent titles, the two you mentioned came out in 05 and 99 respectively. Now a majority of games seem to be put out in a year or two.

>ping<

surley the 3-worlds-neighbour-stepping-stone thing has been done at least once before too?
Tales of Symphonia springs to mind: where Silverant (a world where the top+bottom and left+right parts of the map link up, hence implying a large spherical plane known as a 'Planet') is linked to Tethealla (Planet, see above) via Derris Kharlan (A large purple sphere with inhabitants... Planet)

Why, oh why, oh why, has no-one been able to do a PROPER Jet-pack game since

That's an earthworm jim reference at the end perhaps (the old woman on a stairlift)? If not it's an awful coincidence.

That end seemed like a surprisingly optimistic conclusion for Yahtzee. When he started describing that the game felt incomplete, I thought he was hinting that it was some money-hungry set-up for a sequel, not a heartfelt attempt that ran out of resources.

Tribes Yahtzee, Starsiege Tribes, all 3 of them, had jetpacks. Very dissapointed to see you missed that on your 'inspiration-o-meter'. Still a good review though.

Fuck Julia Roberts.

Versago:
>ping<

surley the 3-worlds-neighbour-stepping-stone thing has been done at least once before too?
Tales of Symphonia springs to mind: where Silverant (a world where the top+bottom and left+right parts of the map link up, hence implying a large spherical plane known as a 'Planet') is linked to Tethealla (Planet, see above) via Derris Kharlan (A large purple sphere with inhabitants... Planet)

I'm pretty sure that's what is going on in Half-Life as well, with Xen being referred to as a border world. Reminds me of the geography in Dark Tower.

I had no interest in this game and it appears as though its going to stay that way.

Jetpacks do seem to be a recipe for success however. Makes me wish there was a "good game" version of this.

Funny as always!

Mass Effect 2 anytime soon?

Watching this review makes me want to play "Pilotwings" again..

How the hell do people watch this video in under 4 minutes. Thats amazing. Good one. Playing the Demo my favorite thing to try was taking off out of the ship but every time i'd hit a box or something.

I'd love to see Lord of the Rings with finger puppets.

Well, I have to say, the part where he described the bit where you have to fly down a shaft with the jetpack actually made it sound a tiny bit appealing... but I'll still wait 'til it's in the budget bin before I consider picking it up.

Good review. I honestly thought he'd tear into but I guess he saw some sort of potential in it.

And the award for most tortured metaphors goes to...*drum roll*...Yahtzee for his Dark Void review!!!

PS I also couldn't be arsed to make an actual award so feel free to make your own.

I thought he was going to absolutely smash this game. Well, more than he did.

I thought that Sonic was the worst game he ever reviewed.

Good review with a sprinkling of laughs as always.

Let me describe to you the demo for Dark Void. (It's free so try it, don't buy it)

1 minute in: This is actually quite fun. Kind of reminds me of colony wars (a bit).
2 minute in: Wait a minute, this is a horrible clone with a gimmicky jetpack.
3 minute in: What is wrong with the combat? What the hell is going on.
4 minute in: Arrrrrghhhhhh!

Fin

You should review altitude, (altitudegame.com)... it won't be a long review.
In fact, there won't even be any pauses for you to cut out.
But it is a great game.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or