Zero Punctuation: Dark Void

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

I, as many people in here will buy the game after the price goes down just to mess around with the jetpack.. and never play it again.

As for the review, it was brilliant, I laughed quite a bit at the inspiration meter. Good job as always.

omg, that flow chart is the bacon flow chart. one second, let me find it

Freedom of movement has always been a lot of fun for me. Not really sandbox, but just the method of getting around. A Jetpack is certainly a lot of fun.

I may play Dark Void just for that.

Sounds like its suffering from Bionic Commando syndrome. Overall it's fucked up and a lot of people will hate it, but it may have enough redeeming qualities to make it worth a 20 dollar purchase.

SNATCHERS!!!! Great Reference I loled!

When Yahtzee says, "It's like Julia Roberts, only with bigger teeth," what appears to be a female torso appears near the upper right corner of the frame. Nothing else; just a torso.

The significance is lost on me.

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, why did you review this instead of Dante's Inferno? Anyways, it sounds like one of the worst of games, getting even people with low expectation's hopes up, then dropping them like a bad habit.

Also, why the heck were posters 2-6 suspended?

Extremely funny....

At the point that he said that "At least having an ambition enshures you still have a soul". made me think:
What about Peter Molyneux? Does he then have a soul bigger than belgium? XD

Also, nice throwaway gag at about 1:26: "Someone keeps moving my TV further away..."

ewhac:
Also, nice throwaway gag at about 1:26: "Someone keeps moving my TV further away..."

I noticed that too. Nice reference to the wider resolution.

didnt duke nukem have a jetpack?

Everyone wants to fly, so Dark Void fulfills that wish but not the good game wish.

... I just clicked the 'censored' comments to see what they were like. What kind of point is there to reply to a video with 'i like it', 4 minutes before you're supposed to be done watching it, while having only one post on your track record?

Seriously, what's the point? You'll get banned faster than you can say... something short, and I can't see how anybody could possibly profit from that.

Well, enough witht this rant.

The more PS3 games I hear about, the more I realize I might someday want a PS3.

...Someday.

Excellent. These reviews are getting better and better, which for ZP is a real feat.

given that jetpacks are awesome, why don't many developers actually use them in there games like they rip off story elements, shooting mechanics, auto-targeting, cover systems, character archetypes, vehicle controls, regenerative health, quick time events, etc...

theres a jetpack in Tribes 2.

Do i smell a fuse box count Yahtzee? :D

Cookie to anyone who knows where a fuse box count features. It has something to do with an implement for eating pudding.

I would just like to comment that Dark Void is probably the stupidest video game title I've ever seen. What exactly would be a non-dark void? Isn't the fact of it being dark in the very nature of void-ness? Can you have a void which is void except for a mysterious floating light source which manages to illuminate the whole thing? WTF?

Perhaps they ran out of laundry powder before they managed to get a good title together and had to use the working one which was thought up by a schizophrenic project manager on the spot so the brainstorming session wouldn't be derailed.

Yep, just like an alzheimers pasient on a stairlift^^

haha nice, YAHTZEE FTW

Haha funniest one he's done in a while, the analogy's were brilliant. I was super disappointed by dark void too, the game had so much promise and looked really fun but then I played the demo, started reading reviews, opinions etc and man its like they ran out of money or something and it ended up being 40% or so of the game it could have been.

I might pick it up eventually when its discounted on steam or something, still looks like a boatload of fun for a few hours if nothing else.

Well I'm just glad he didn't say anything bad about the devs, they did make my fav game evar Crimson skies after all. Airtight games is really good at telling a story in a game. They have a very good cinematic style to it. (Why I like Crimson Skies so much) I agree with Yathzee though, I think they just ran out of money.

Best review ever. Because he referenced Snatcher and sometimes I forget it exists because it seems no one outside hardcore MGS fans have ever heard of it.

down then up then down again; like an Alzheimer patient on a stair lift OMG that's horrible but so funny

miraclefilms:
You forgot Rocket Ranger in the "inspiration" o-meter

I'll second that. Cinemaware title from yonkers back, pretty to behold, sucked to play. But it did have a dude in a jetpack fighting nazis in an alternate version of world war 2. It even had nazis on the moon.

It was the most original game of its time. *hack* *cough* *sputter* *die*

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_Ranger

As you describe this game to me, I come up with an interesting dilemma. I want to support a game that they're actually trying and clearly had potential and knew what they were doing enough that they could have made a good game if they hadn't run out of whatever, but at the same time, as much as I'd like to support them in the hope that next time they'll do a good job, if I do support them, then it will give game companies the idea that I'm okay with games like that and will encourage them to make more games just the same. Dear God, was that all one sentence? Oh, no, it was two. Okay then.

So, Mr. Yahtzee, here's my question to you. How do you encourage a game company to keep going and build up a good idea with lots of potential without making them think that they don't need to do anymore work than you did? How do you convince the evil corporate executives to give more money to the company so they can do it better without giving them the impression that they can slack off? Because that appears to be the real problem with a game like this.

On the subject of that comment about the Napoleonic wars: Do you suppose Yahtzee is a fan of Temeraire?

The Alzheimer's patient on a stair lift part was genius, great job.

Shouldn't he have called Isaac Clarke "Arthur C. Asimov" instead of "Philip K. Asimov?" He's not Dick Clark (thank goodness).

Jetpack smears sounds like a good time to me. As of late I try to find interesting ways to break games or do stupid things that no one has ever attempted so I might just pick this one up to see what stupid idea I can come up with next.

Wow -- Yahtzee really poured on the metaphors this week.

That being said, it's going to be a long time before I drink a glass of milk again without a little bit of uneasiness...

Heh, that was pretty good. I was expecting a different game though.

GG Crono:
On the subject of that comment about the Napoleonic wars: Do you suppose Yahtzee is a fan of Temeraire?

Thank you a hundred million times for showing me that.

JMeganSnow:
I would just like to comment that Dark Void is probably the stupidest video game title I've ever seen. What exactly would be a non-dark void? Isn't the fact of it being dark in the very nature of void-ness?

No.

Go rent George Lucas's first film, THX 1138. A significant fraction of it takes place in what amounts to a white featureless void.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here