Game Dogs: Episode Four: Satan

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

This episode taught me something very valuable...

After the third episode, I Swore i'd never watch another.
Yet, I was tempted to see if ANY of the pages of criticism that has been hurled at this series, or suggestions, might have forced the writers to rethink what they are doing.

Instead, you guys seem determined to forge ahead with your idea, and I can respect that.
What I can't respect is this show.

I gave it three chances, and even a fourth and now I know that it's pretty much not worth my five minutes. I wanted to like it, I really did, but hey, not everything can be a hit and/or winner..

But We do have Doraleous and Associates and THAT new show, quite frankly, is so full of Win that it should wear a condom lest it impregnate every living being with pure awesome babies.

GamingAwesome1:
I'm gonna say this until the dude animating this gets it right.

FACIAL EXPRESSIONS!

Each dog has one freaking facial expression in this episode and Gary and Bethany have had ONE different one in another episode.

It's hard to resonate with a character when they appear to lack any emotion of their own.

That's dudes, if you please. There are two animators, and we both do our work with rather impending deadlines.

That said, dogs generally lack variety in facial expression. They communicate with body language - posture and tail motion accounts for 95%, and the other 5% is eyebrows, ears, and a varied degree of "growl snout." Hang out with a dog for a while, and really pay attention to the face. You'll see what I mean.

Also, doing a lot of facial animation would slow the release of each episode significantly. I can assure you that we have been steadily improving our methods from one episode to the next. Having more expressive facial animation may happen down the line, but it needs to evolve naturally over time. We have exactly one artist who very thoughtfully hasn't gone completely insane, yet.

Just be patient for now, if you please.

I have to say... I liked it.

WHAT? Yeah, it was pretty good. I think its one of those shows that if you "Watch" it, it gets monotonous very quickly. I just turned it on for five minutes and listened, and it sounds funnier without the flat visuals.

I still think that you cornered yourselves by calling it "Game Dogs" as opposed to "Code Monkeys", which had NOTHING to do with monkeys but was funnier than a Talking Crack Pipe. I can't say much for this show than that statement over and over.

I'll go back for one more week. If the first episode made me chuckle and this episode actually inspired a laugh, then within the next two episodes or so, I should be floored with silliness (hopefully).

Don't let me down.

I loved this episode. It is my favorite so far. I loved how Bob got all deep, too. I hope he comes in and just says stuff like that all the time.

After an arguably poor start this latest episode had some good moments

Dear god...

I'm sorry, but the continuous "YOUR FIRED" and "ARE YOU INSANE?!" half jokes are starting to get to me. At least animate some walking when you can easily see their feet. Changing up what he says in the beginning would probably help, too. Axe Gary, make the plot flow faster, and show some promise if you want people to continue watching. And don't try the whole "Take that, Haters!" Thing. It doesn't work when you considering 99% of your audience haters.

Mr.Squishy:
I really don't know what to make of this. It made me chuckle when bob opened his mouth, and when it was hinted that Gary was the devil and/or that the devil is a chihuahua. Other than that, not all that good, 'cept not terrible voices/voicework, and this was WAY funnier than the "mr.yee" episode *shudder*
Edit: Still better than both apocalypse lane and unforgotten realms though

Your funny. Unforgotten realms... was an epic. Literally, it was flowing, long enough and still held your attention, and it actually made people laugh, it's one of the greatest series i've ever watched.

On the other hand, I've never seen apocalypse lane, so I wouldn't know.

Skizzo321:
I'm just wondering how many people this week who have said that they aren't going to watch it anymore are going to come back next week and complain...

It was alright though. Though I've never been to "Sunday School" I know what Satan should look like, so that was kind of a moronic plot device.

I don't like it by any means but I keep watching it mainly out of boredom and to see if it will actually get better. So far it has kept sucking. Pretty bad...

Apocalypse Lane had a bad start, took a while to introduce the characters, but it did have some great lol/wtf moments to hold your interest. Game dogs doesn't so much.

I'm not ready to write the series off as lost after just 4 episodes, shorten it, add more jokes.

At least the very lame "Filmed in front of a live studio audience" thing is gone cause that was lame. I mean, we know it's not really filmed live and putting it in there just screams "Hey, we're funny!."

But to be harsh, I am being harsh already sorry, I don't find the humour in this and I don't care much for the story, so thanks, but I'll skip.

This series is so BORING and UNFUNNY. UNFUNNY.

I thought for a moment at the start that the boss was going to make a reference to all these hateful comments ("People say I'm not funny") but then that didn't happen and the series didn't improve so it was bad.

I feel kind of stupid though because I keep watching just to see how awful this series is. I really hope they either can it or improve it, and since I can't imagine ANYTHING that would make this better, I hope they can it.

The boss dog is NOT FUNNY. Nor is he particularly intimidating. And was that whole "boss is like satan" joke supposed to be a suprise? Because you played it out for a full fifteen seconds till the end, but it was so painfully obvious.

tryx3:

Mr.Squishy:
I really don't know what to make of this. It made me chuckle when bob opened his mouth, and when it was hinted that Gary was the devil and/or that the devil is a chihuahua. Other than that, not all that good, 'cept not terrible voices/voicework, and this was WAY funnier than the "mr.yee" episode *shudder*
Edit: Still better than both apocalypse lane and unforgotten realms though

Your funny. Unforgotten realms... was an epic. Literally, it was flowing, long enough and still held your attention, and it actually made people laugh, it's one of the greatest series i've ever watched.

On the other hand, I've never seen apocalypse lane, so I wouldn't know.

Eh.
Not really a big fan of unforgotten realms whether i tried to see it as straight-faced or ironic. It just was so...boring...and it was just ridiculous when they met the french-speaking hammer with the monocle...and not in the funny way. I find game dogs to be better, although it is still LOW down on my quality ladder.

I Liked it, It didn't make me laugh out loud per se, but rather have a smile on my face the whole time.

I will say though that Gary annoys me, he basically just says the same thing every time. Other than that, love it, keep 'em coming!

Mirrored Jigsaw:

jtesauro:
You know, I've been undecided about this show so far. Been kind of taking a cautiously optimistic approach, but hasn't really done anything for me yet, but Bob in this episode actually cracked me up. I enjoyed that.

jtesauro knows what he is talking about.

Bob actually brings some intellect to the show, but the other four make it seem like it's being marketed to six year-olds. Keep the witty humor and some more video game in-jokes.

The thing is, I can tell the show is a satire, but I just can't tell what it's supposed to be satirizing. On the one hand, Gary and Mr. Yee should be exceedingly familiar to anyone who's worked in a corporate environment, as should Chet and the others, for the good things and the bad. Sometimes the show strikes me as a parody of a corporate game dev environment, but then other times it's just a parody of itself. When Bethany introduces herself as 'The Token Girl' that sealed it for me, everything here is token, so am I laughing with them, or at them?

Then again, I found the "Probing Uranus" joke in Mass Effect 2 funny, so what the hell do I know?

I was entertained, didn't laugh out loud but enjoyed it. I liked Gary referencing the forums calling him "unfunny," hehe.

I'd say this episode beats the first two, but the 3rd episode was a little better.

wasnt as bad as previous episodes, it was actualy (dare i say it)...........ok

Hail Satan

I like Bob...

This is pretty good. I really want to see what they actually make.

George Palmer:

GamingAwesome1:
I'm gonna say this until the dude animating this gets it right.

Are you an animator?

Never thought I hear a mod say something like that. Made me laugh though.

One thing that I wonder about is the lack of a laugh track. Cheesy perhaps, but to say "Animated before a live studio audience" that implies that the audience isn't laughing at all. The whole point of laugh tracks is to subconsciously get people to laugh, so the absense of one when it's sort of implied there are people there watching may be an unintentional detriment to the show. Look at the current sitcoms. Something like The Big Bang Theory has a laugh track and is unashamed of it. Whereas The Office has none, because it's not a "sitcom" so much as an odd drama.

Little though it may be, I think it would be worth it to either add a track or ditch that opening gag. It seems to be trying to be an Office-ish type workplace sitcom AND a studio sitcom, which just doesn't work. It would be like having The Seinfeld Office.

As much as everyone hates this show? I actually like it. It amuses me.

I'm a little more excited about this series now that there's some semblance of plot. Bob is super deep. Deep like an empty bowl.

This is actually getting better as it goes along. "Totally Bad Ass!"

Brainstorming about what Satan looks like made me laugh a little.

Im gonna ban you, as soon as the escapist let me, I will ban you all, and then I will be promoted to the escapist decision seat, and ban you even more... But even after I banned you and your team, I will make it so that you cant ever be on any other website, ever. Also, if anyone think this serie is good, I will ban them too... and their mother, their friends and even their dog(durhdurh).

BAN,BAN,BANBANBANBANANABANANA......B-A-N-Y-U-O...O-U...You are banned now.

Am I funny? Thats what I though, Im not funny... then why do you think its funny in your episodes?

-Blue jellybean; Lets make a video game guys!
-Pink jellybean; Oh yeah! Great! But what video game? ;(
-Blue jellybean; I dont know...
-Yellow jellybean; Oh no, its Gray jellybean! 8O
-Gray jellybean; You suck, all of you, you are fired. >:(
-Blue jellybean; Oh no, we need to make a good video game my friends, or we will be fired.
-Yellow jellybean; You're right! 8D
-Pink jellybean; But, I dont know anything, tell me what to do?! :S
-Blue jellybean; Lets all do a group hug, then make the bestest wideo gaaaame evar!
-All jellybeans; Yaaaaaaaaay! :D

Was that an interresting dialogue? Nope... nope it wasnt. Well it is for a 6 years old. Perhaps you should add a warning before your flash, like;

Warning; This serie is for the younger audiences, watch at your own risk if you are over the age of twelve you may get brain damage, bleeding eyes or sudently burst into flames. The viewer discretion is adviced.

At least the pace of the dialogue improved... not so slow anymore. Arf.

Frankly, I think its getting better. I'll be watching the next one.

Much much better. But I hate the way Gary is repetive of his lines. He needs to mix it up a bit.

daedrick:
Im gonna ban you, as soon as the escapist let me, I will ban you all, and then I will be promoted to the escapist decision seat, and ban you even more... But even after I banned you and your team, I will make it so that you cant ever be on any other website, ever. Also, if anyone think this serie is good, I will ban them too... and their mother, their friends and even their dog(durhdurh).

BAN,BAN,BANBANBANBANANABANANA......B-A-N-Y-U-O...O-U...You are banned now.

Am I funny? Thats what I though, Im not funny... then why do you think its funny in your episodes?

-Blue jellybean; Lets make a video game guys!
-Pink jellybean; Oh yeah! Great! But what video game? ;(
-Blue jellybean; I dont know...
-Yellow jellybean; Oh no, its Gray jellybean! 8O
-Gray jellybean; You suck, all of you, you are fired. >:(
-Blue jellybean; Oh no, we need to make a good video game my friends, or we will be fired.
-Yellow jellybean; You're right! 8D
-Pink jellybean; But, I dont know anything, tell me what to do?! :S
-Blue jellybean; Lets all do a group hug, then make the bestest wideo gaaaame evar!
-All jellybeans; Yaaaaaaaaay! :D

Was that an interresting dialogue? Nope... nope it wasnt. Well it is for a 6 years old. Perhaps you should add a warning before your flash, like;

Warning; This serie is for the younger audiences, watch at your own risk if you are over the age of twelve you may get brain damage, bleeding eyes or sudently burst into flames. The viewer discretion is adviced.

At least the pace of the dialogue improved... not so slow anymore. Arf.

I smell troll...

Koeryn:
As much as everyone hates this show? I actually like it. It amuses me.

My thoughts exactly.

This show is still failing to win my vote. But I'll watch just to make sure.

I think I'm detecting a pattern here. Seems like the folks who have at some point in their lives worked in an office understand and appreciate the humor of Game Dogs, and the people who have not, don't. Diffr'nt strokes.

Thankfully we have better ways of determining how well a show is doing other than counting the number of jackass comments in the forums, and from what we can tell, it's doing alright. Which, naturally, makes me all giddy.

Thanks for watching and commenting. If you're enjoying the story so far, hang on to your butts. The best is yet to come.

I don't get it. This show was 3 weeks of shit, with one tiny glimmer of entertainment, and now it's...decent.Though you really need a new title sequence. The current one is just bland and uninteresting.

PLEASE tell me this isn't supposed to be replacing Doomsday Arcade... *Also saying that DA is actually just being delayed would be nice too...*

w1ndscar:
PLEASE tell me this isn't supposed to be replacing Doomsday Arcade... *Also saying that DA is actually just being delayed would be nice too...*

DA is just being delayed.

Erugh....

I tried. I genuinely did. I thought that maybe it would get funny but then I watched this episode and remembered how focused it is on the fact that they're dogs (Yes we get it. Not funny or original to make your main characters dogs) I think that I shan't be wasting any more of my life watching this.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here