Game Dogs: Episode Four: Satan

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Russ Pitts:
Thankfully we have better ways of determining how well a show is doing other than counting the number of jackass comments in the forums, and from what we can tell, it's doing alright. Which, naturally, makes me all giddy.

Just out of curiosity, what are these other ways? External discussion, critical approval, or high views? I suppose all of those would carry greater weight than the comments section. For what it's worth, I think you've handled the negative criticism relatively well considering the sheer amount of it, but don't write off any unhappy customers as trolls or "jackasses." There are a lot of valid points here and ignoring them won't get you anywhere with the dissenters or the show itself.
That being said, the show is definitely not my cup of tea. I suppose its brand of awkward humor isn't for me? But what kind of excuse is saying that you had to have been in an office environment to get it. The Office doesn't have that problem. If you want to shoot for niche appeal, by all means do, but those sorts of claims sound a bit elitist.

Well, I gave it four episodes to prove itself, as promised. It's still not very funny. I still haven't laughed once at it. I don't mind the animation, or that they're all dogs, or whatever - but I do mind that it has no humour. At least this episode didn't have a "girls don't play games" joke in it like the last one, I can't believe they went there. I think I will stop watching this now. I can see how it might appeal to really young audiences, however.

Russ Pitts:
I think I'm detecting a pattern here. Seems like the folks who have at some point in their lives worked in an office understand and appreciate the humor of Game Dogs, and the people who have not, don't. Diffr'nt strokes.

I have worked in an office for many years. I can assure you that this isn't the issue.

FirstToStrike:

daedrick:
Im gonna ban you, as soon as the escapist let me, I will ban you all, and then I will be promoted to the escapist decision seat, and ban you even more... But even after I banned you and your team, I will make it so that you cant ever be on any other website, ever. Also, if anyone think this serie is good, I will ban them too... and their mother, their friends and even their dog(durhdurh).

BAN,BAN,BANBANBANBANANABANANA......B-A-N-Y-U-O...O-U...You are banned now.

Am I funny? Thats what I though, Im not funny... then why do you think its funny in your episodes?

-Blue jellybean; Lets make a video game guys!
-Pink jellybean; Oh yeah! Great! But what video game? ;(
-Blue jellybean; I dont know...
-Yellow jellybean; Oh no, its Gray jellybean! 8O
-Gray jellybean; You suck, all of you, you are fired. >:(
-Blue jellybean; Oh no, we need to make a good video game my friends, or we will be fired.
-Yellow jellybean; You're right! 8D
-Pink jellybean; But, I dont know anything, tell me what to do?! :S
-Blue jellybean; Lets all do a group hug, then make the bestest wideo gaaaame evar!
-All jellybeans; Yaaaaaaaaay! :D

Was that an interresting dialogue? Nope... nope it wasnt. Well it is for a 6 years old. Perhaps you should add a warning before your flash, like;

Warning; This serie is for the younger audiences, watch at your own risk if you are over the age of twelve you may get brain damage, bleeding eyes or sudently burst into flames. The viewer discretion is adviced.

At least the pace of the dialogue improved... not so slow anymore. Arf.

I smell troll...

You must be pretty thick in the head to not see the sarcasm in his statement. He was mocking the boss dog for how many times he says "YOU'RE FIRED."

Russ Pitts:
I think I'm detecting a pattern here. Seems like the folks who have at some point in their lives worked in an office understand and appreciate the humor of Game Dogs, and the people who have not, don't. Diffr'nt strokes.

Thankfully we have better ways of determining how well a show is doing other than counting the number of jackass comments in the forums, and from what we can tell, it's doing alright. Which, naturally, makes me all giddy.

Thanks for watching and commenting. If you're enjoying the story so far, hang on to your butts. The best is yet to come.

I have worked at a large hospital's office for a summer for part of an internship program. I can tell you any of this imply'd humor in your excuse of a series is nothing like the environment I worked in and I didn't have a midget with turrets yelling "YOUR FIRED!" every ten minutes at me. BUT WAIT! I already know what some of you are gonna say, and its gonna be BUT JIMMERDUNDA ALL OFFICE ENVIRONMENTS ARE DIFFERENT!

Well folks if thats the case than how can he base all office environments into one stereotype that you would find on a sitcom? Face it Russ, the only humor here is poorly written cliched stereotypes.

You say anyone who has worked in an office environment should relate to this yet you put in a dick super-visor, a demented boss, a nerd, a lazy loaf who comes up with "ideas," and the unique girl. This is not new material Russ, try to come up with something original.

Also as far as the "jackass" comments go, this is coming from a majority of the forums right now, most of which are people who have reasonable intelligence and are not stupid trolls like you imply them to be. Seriously Russ, stop kidding yourself and stop trying to kid us and pull the plug to this series. It just isn't working.

I should love Gary, but here I am, annoyed every time he appears on screen. If this show were not on the Escapist I would completely ignore it.

As I've commented before, this concept would work a lot better as a comic strip. You'll have more time and freedom to experiment with characters and story.

Is Gary loosely based on Rodney Dangerfield?

Gary finding himself funny and everyone rolling their eyes was funny, so was Bob. But there was lots of dead weight otherwise. I'm still undecided on this show.

That was the best one yet

I don`t care about all the people trashing this show, I think it is really funny. It keeps getting better every week, tidy editing, better jokes emerging e.t.c

The show seems like a marmite thing though, love it or hate it

Ok, they're dogs, we get it. Either do a joke or plot twist with it, or stop rubbing in our faces. It's getting old quick.

I think it's pretty good. But Gry repeating every other word gets kindoff annoying. Other than that I found this pretty funny.

BonsaiK:
Well, I gave it four episodes to prove itself, as promised. It's still not very funny. I still haven't laughed once at it. I don't mind the animation, or that they're all dogs, or whatever - but I do mind that it has no humour. At least this episode didn't have a "girls don't play games" joke in it like the last one, I can't believe they went there. I think I will stop watching this now. I can see how it might appeal to really young audiences, however.

Russ Pitts:

I have worked in an office for many years. I can assure you that this isn't the issue.

Same here. Game Dogs isn't Dilbert after all, its 'humour' is too broad to be simply placed in the office humour category.

And if we're going to go there, Red vs Blue was basically office humour, and it was a smash, and why? Because of its script. Game Dogs is wanting for sharper writing and a livelier atmosphere. I also don't get the impression of anyone involved actually having fun on screen.

I don't even know why I started watching this. It's been awful from day 1. I will say this though, there was one line that made me laugh somewhere, because I finished this episode and I remembered chuckling. That's a first for the series for me, but whatever it was, it was completely forgettable because I can't remember at all.

Also, if anyone actually bothers to read my comment on the 5th page, the intro needs some SERIOUS work. The music grates on my nerves, and that boss dog popping up saying "are you insane!?" isn't funny. I could see that as an opportunity for a Bart-on-the-Chalkboard gag, but it's the same line over and over each episode. It's starting to feel like he's asking me why I would even bother watching the video. Then the "Live Audience" line is so dry, Ben Stein with a bottle of Aquafina couldn't make it palatable.

Edit: Ooh! I got a better comical analogy! That line is so dry, it makes a bag of silica jell look like a water balloon! HAR HAR.

cool new ep, game dongs

Well, I've watched the first four episodes now and I kind of feel sorry for you guys more than anything else. You've obviously tried very hard to make an original idea for a show and have tried to express the ideas about creating a videogame in an amusing format, but it just hasn't taken off with the audience. It's a shame, the whole Escapist, being the strong community that it is, has tried to be supportive of the show by watching it as much as it has, but it just hasn't clicked with the audience the way ZP or Unskippable has.

I think your basic idea is pretty good, trying to communicate the ideas behind working in an office environment, but it seems hard to salvage the show now considering the path you're trying to take it down and the negative feedback it has received. Although I'm not sure if it would be possible to cater for those who don't enjoy it now, you've obviously got a storyline planned out and deviating from it would be very hard for you.

Also, I quite like Gary. I love his character drawing, and the fact his tie is overly long makes me smile.

Bob ftw on this one. The series is starting to warm up and get some chemistry.

Russ Pitts:

That, or there simply ain't much "humor" in this "comedy show".

Thanks for watching and commenting. If you're enjoying the story so far, hang on to your butts. The best is yet to come.

I have a Bender quote for the "the best" part, but I'm afraid mods are not Futurama fans and wouldn't appreciate the hilarity of said quote.

Okay, here's my review. Lots of caps, so I apologize in advance for that. EDIT: This has been made to be less flamey.

It sucked.

Bob was the best thing about this episode, much like Mr. Yee was the best about the last one. Why is it the four main characters are nigh-unlikeable but the supporting cast are great?

Work on the animation. PLEASE wotk on the animation. I'm dead serious, the lower quality flashes on NEWGROUNDS are better animated than this. Allow me to broadcast this: WHEN THE BAD STUFF ON NEWGROUNDS IS OUTSHINING YOU, IT'S TIME TO RECONSIDER YOUR POSITION ON THE QUALITY OF YOUR WORK.

Work HEAVILY on the jokes. I mean devote time you would normally be "animating" to working on the jokes.

Also, I'd like a simple question answered, is this supposed to take place in the 80's and/or early 90's? Because literally everything that I've seen in this points towards this. If it is, great! That'd be an aspect I actually like!

If you actually intend for this to be set in the present day, though, that's just sad. You'd quite frankly be the Trope Codifier in New Media of the "Totally Radical" trope on TV Tropes.

I'll give it one more episode. If it can't get funny by the next episode, then it's over for me watching it.

I'm starting to like this show. If the quality continues to rise then I'll stick around but if it stays as it is now then it's not worth my time.

Well, at least the intro music is *kind of* cool.

Heh... this series is actually getting better and better, as I hoped it would.
Still, I prefer cats... sooo cuuuteee!
But I think the content of the episodes makes up for the lack of cats...
for now :D

Uggg....Not going well for me. I'll stick with it until Episode 10, and if I don't like it by then, I just won't watch it. After all, the Escapist is full of high quality programming.

I already stopped watching this show an episode ago, but I felt the curiosity to check the forum and see what people thought... clearly, this show isn't going to make it with responces like the ones I'm reading.
And why is Bob so liked? To find out I suppose I'll have to watch it.
But I don't think I'm going to.

It's good, but note quite as funny as it probably should be. Still, I can feel some momentum building. I can already see Roger having to get-up so people can get into the fridge as being one of those amusing things you just kinda notice passively going-on in the background while other characters are talking. As well as a few other running gags.

Also, am I the only one who wants to scritch Gary behind those massive ears of his? He's an asshole, but dammit he's adorable!

Wow.

5 minutes of watching the Satan 'punchline' coming lumbering over the brow of a hill like a retarded elephant.

I'm starting to suspect that this entire series is a joke at our expense - intentionally unfunny/cringe-inducing in order to measure the pointless venting of hostility by way of reaction. Sort of like a terrible 80s performance artist dropping his trousers and pooing on stage, just to rile the audience...

Bleh.

Russ Pitts:

So you're blatantly dismissing all of the overwhelming negativity being directed towards this show, and THOSE people are the jackasses? I've been holding out on commenting in these threads for the specific reason that you guys have garnered enough criticism already without my input, but if this is the way you're going to respond, you absolutely deserve it.

So, just to reiterate (since it hasn't been getting through to you, apparently): Game Dogs is not funny. It has no material, it has no presentation, it has no timing. You can either choose to accept this criticism and deal with it (either by refining the show or, at the very least, keeping at it with a smile on your face), or you can continue to make up excuses and berate your audience. Either way, no, this show isn't "doing alright."

(I may as well mention that I have no beef with the animation. Yeah, it's not great, but what do you guys expect?)

I'm starting to like this show.

Russ Pitts:

I worked in an office as an intern and some other things for two years on and off, and nothing about this amuses me or makes me remember those days with a smile or any of those things. It seems a bit elitist to think that the only reason people don't like it is that 'they don't get it'. I could do a crap on a wall and spray glitter on it, call it expressionist art and say that anyone who doesn't like it 'doesn't get it'.
It's a true sign of a good comedy if it can be showed to anyone around the world regardless of culture or context (as long as it's in the same language of course) and still be amusing.

Russ Pitts:

What is this way? I'm intrigued, because I certainly haven't partaken in this. Considering I've watched all of the episodes and am a user of The Escapist and a watcher of it's video material, then surely I'm the target audience?

And calling the comments 'jackass' because they disagree with you? That's a very bad thing to do for anyone who considers themselves creative and would like to show that to you. As much as there are a lot of people around here who are saying simply 'this sucks', there are also a lot of people offering constructive criticism. If you brand that as 'jackass', then you should seriously reconsider the angle you're coming at this from.

The problem is, you've made some great shows in the past, so there's no question that you're bad at what you do at all, and you most probably will make more great ones in the future, but this is a miss. As far as this goes, and I think 4 episodes is enough to judge, Game Dogs has been a failure. It might be savable, but you're going to have to rethink the whole concept and spend a lot more time than you appear to be doing.
I'd suggest for a start spending more time on the episodes, once a fortnight with a slightly longer episode would be fine. Invest in proper sound equipment, and don't rely on awkward and catchphrase humour. If needed, get a test audience of people you know aren't totally in deference to the series but not totally biased against it and show them each episode before you post it here. If they laugh, then post it. If not, rethink it.

So please, at least consider this and the other advice floating around on here before you continue, because at the moment calling us all jackasses makes it seem like you just can't accept criticism. Which is never a good sign.

ok just so russ pitts doesnt think i am an ass i am going to explain why i dislike the show, firstly unlike some people i like the humor second i think the character do mimic the office sterotypes (including jerk boss) the two things i dislike is one the characters have no backstory as such and second is there a key plot reason they are dogs cos i dont get that

dont let the show die escapist but do plz refine it just think family guy was cancelled after its first season and fox did not understand why simpsons needed to be animated and look at there success just try and find some advise amid the storm of complaining plz.

Oy. Looks like I inadvertently made a boo-boo. Sorry guys.

Just so there's no confusion whatsoever, we do make a distinction between "jackass" comments and useful criticism, and we're reading every response that's posted here and taking them to heart. Especially the nice ones. ;)

We will definitely continue to make adjustments to the show to try to account for things that are definitely not working, but at the end of the day we totally recognize that some folks just aren't going to like everything that we do. And that's fine. That's just life.

Thanks again to everybody who watched and commented, whether you love it or hate it or fall somewhere in-between.

ddq5:

Russ Pitts:

Just out of curiosity, what are these other ways? External discussion, critical approval, or high views?

We read minds ...

Russ Pitts:
Oy. Looks like I inadvertently made a boo-boo. Sorry guys.

Just so there's no confusion whatsoever, we do make a distinction between "jackass" comments and useful criticism, and we're reading every response that's posted here and taking them to heart. Especially the nice ones. ;)

We will definitely continue to make adjustments to the show to try to account for things that are definitely not working, but at the end of the day we totally recognize that some folks just aren't going to like everything that we do. And that's fine. That's just life.

Thanks again to everybody who watched and commented, whether you love it or hate it or fall somewhere in-between.

This is actually getting to you guys isnt it? haha, please remember the age group you are throwing back and forth with here and the fact that youre a grown man...sometimes silence is golden.

just realised how what i said may have sounded like, sorry wanted to say keep it up not that i thought i needed to show myself as better than everyone else sorry again just tryed to help

These videos are not bad..but christ, Gary is annoying. Too bad he probably is an integral part of Gamedogs. I say: get rid of him, and I might keep watching this. I actually enjoy this show, even though I'm not waiting for it's release every week. That's why it saddens me that I just can't seem to like Gary.

xmetatr0nx:
This is actually getting to you guys isnt it?

Not really, but if you know me, you know that I tend to sort of speak my mind and not pay enough attention to how it's coming out. Especially on Friday, when it's raining outside and I'm pretending to be home sick so I can toss back some scotch and play Mass Effect ... erm. Moving on.

Anyway, my point was that I meant it well when I called everybody a jackass, but looking back, I can see how that could be misconstrued. Heh. Whoopsie.

By the way, Russ: the theme song is really nice, but it might be a good idea to get the 'are you mad?'-quote out of the intro. The voice-actors are all good, including Gary's, but I noticed I'm starting to skip the intro because of that quote. Not a good sign, I think.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here