Escape to the Movies: Oscar Nominations

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Oscar Nominations

This week MovieBob takes a look at the recent Oscar nominations.

Watch Video

I really hope Jeff Bridges wins.

Why do I wish that? Look at my freaking avatar!

Still haven't seen avatar yet.

I should its in the theater in town now.

Sorry Bob, I don't think District 9 will win.

I sure ope that Inglorious Basterds gets a few prizes.

Interesting on the Jeff Bridges for Best Lead Actor. I would have thought Morgan Freeman for Mandela was a shoe in, he did a good job at playing THE most influential political leader of the last generation. I'm also slightly peeved that Invictus didnt get more nominations.

D9 For best picture though. that would be amazing!

I was actually shocked that District 9 got nominated. But still, I was really happy for the nomination. I mean, hell, it's Blomkamp's first feature film and it got nominated for an Oscar! Thank you for cementing his career, guys! =D

And eh, if Bullock wins that Oscar, well, let's hope she's also going to win that Razzie that she picked up for All About Steve. She's up against Little Miss Blandface from Transformers, but still, at least Megan Fox didn't violently screw Gabourey Sidibe over like Bullock did throughout the awards circuit...

Good opinions overall. Thanks for your thoughts!

I have also not seen Avatar.

There's 4 major films I feel sorry for: namely Watchmen, Sherlock Holmes, Moon and Coraline. The first three for not getting any nominations for Best Picture/Actor/Supporting/Director (seriously, it's upsetting that Sam Rockwell, Robert Downey Jr, Duncan Jones, Jude Law, Jackie Earl Hayley and Zack Synder won't win anything) and Coraline for unfortunatly coming out in the same year as Up.

Oh yeah, and why didn't Brad Pitt get a nomination for Best Actor?

watchmen got left out? wow.
kinda sucks, but there are a couple good heavy hitters there anyways, could be a good show!

I know that avatar is going to win best picture but I do not know why?
people think that it is so good but i thought it was average at best.
btw what is serious man I have not evne heard of it until now.

I agree that The Blind Side was only up there because of the money it made but, I personally think that Avatar was shit. Avatar does not deserve an Oscar for anything that isn't related to the CG.

"Sandra Bullok usese magical white people powers to turn Radio into Rudy."

I think If I use that at my theater job I'll get s-canned. No one can talk bad about this movie without reprecussions. It's like the Passion!

I am so looking forward to Tron 2. Also I have to agree with Movie Bob's prediction too.

I didn't like much of the stuff that came out last year. I loved Inglorious Basterds, Public Enemies and District 9 but that was about it. Watchmen was ok but far from the hype.

I was expecting Bob to be half incoherent with rage over the snub Watchmen got, being ignored entirely for no real reason.

Kinda disappointed he wasn't...

I really hope Inglorious Basterds wins a few awards. I absolutly love that film and Christoph Waltz's performance.

letsnoobtehpwns:
I agree that The Blind Side was only up there because of the money it made but, I personally think that Avatar was shit. Avatar does not deserve an Oscar for anything that isn't related to the CG.

I agree Avatar relies to heavily on CG, take it aways and you end up with a pretty average film. Everyone has been saying that though but in the end it does have CG and it was pretty fun to turn your brain off and watch.

I hope District 9 gets something... It's awesome; Far better than Avatar.

BTW

You forgot "Rambo meets Sheena" as a simile for Avatar.

I'm going to have to agree with Moviebob on the majority of the predictions.

PRECIOUS WAS NOT THAT GOOD!!!! Sorry, just had to say it. It really wasn't that good...

Oh and TRON 2!! WOOHOO!!!

Well said.

That's all I can say.

yaaaaaaaaaaaaa for Tron 2. I hope bastards wins

don't really want it to happen but we all know Avatars gonna get the best picture, after it makes a billion dollars they kind of have no choice, its just a shame all the hype over shadows the others

UP! FTW!

Hubilub:

Everytime I pass by your avatar I stare mesmorized for a few minutes.

I had the displeasure of watching The Blind Side and everyone I know loves it, sucks.

Sam Rockwell not mentioned? He really would have deserved that Oscar, he glued me to the screen.

I'm sure no one actually cares what i think but I think it's about time someone praised a film that wasn't by James Cameron.

Best Animated Feature
A few years ago animated films came out 2 or 3 times a year. Now it seems they come out every other week. Monsters vs Aliens was a nostalgic call back to the monster movies of the 50's and 60's but that was pretty much it. A Christmas Carol got its ass handed to it by the Muppets and Planet 51 was quite possibly the unfunniest film ever made, so it seems that Pixar's latest film had no competition this year. Up was able to have viewers laughing one minute and crying the next, but even if it did shed a few tears you still had those bulky 3D glasses to hide the tears.

Best Visual Effects
This year seemed to be absolutely dominated by 200 million dollar plus blockbuster showing us that no matter how good your effects are, story-telling dominates all. But let's put all that aside and give this award to whoever has the most money. This year Michael Bay was able to show us how to destroy a franchise, but give us great action with hulking cyborgs. Another destroyed franchise was Terminator, which finally showed us the apocalypse we have been waiting for, for over 20 years and showing us a photo-realistic Arnie. But this award has to go to Avatar for obvious reasons. The only selling point of the film proved to be the most impressive visual spectacle of the year. But special mention has to go to District 9 who would have won this year had it not been for Mr Cameron despite have such a poultry budget. It just goes to show that when it comes to technology, money always wins.

Best Actor and Supporting Actor
There weren't many stand-out actresses this year, (i didn't see many of the films that were nominated) so I'm only going to be talking about the actors. (Sorry girls). For best supporting actor, there were only two actors worth mentioning. You know you have a good supporting character when he over-shadows the main characters and my two nominees did just that. Sam Worthington was able to show Christian Bale how it's done and now it seems everybody wants a piece of him, but the winner of this award goes to Christoph Waltz who proved once and for all that all Nazi's are charming sophisticated and fucking awesome. Special mention goes to Jude Law for his portrayal of Watson in Sherlock Holmes. But unfortunately, he was unable to win because of his lack of interesting things to do.

Best Actor was a tough choice this year. There was Robert Downey Jr for his charming performance in Sherlock Holmes. Brad Pitt showed his comedic talents as a Nazi killer, Sharlto Copley was able to somehow be a human and an alien and despite being an unknown and not very 'hero-like' he proved to be one of the best new actors this year. But the winner of this award goes to Michael Caine for his amazing performance in Harry Brown. Caine showed us that he was able to be a great action hero and an emotionally fragile old man trying to kill all the chavs.

Best Director
This was the toughest category because I had to pay the pied paper and nominate James Cameron despite that fact that he can't tell an original story but was able to create a believable and beautiful alien world. Quentin Tarantino created punishingly suspenseful scenes and relied heavily on brilliant dialogue and Nazi's. Daniel Barber didn't beat around the bush with his film set around the chav filled London estate but the winner has to go to Neill Blomkamp because not only did he create the most original and one of the better stories of the year he did so on a tiny budget and no experience. I greatly look forward to his next projects but I just hope I'm not the only person to go see it this time.

Best Picture
Okay, here comes the big one. My first nominee is Inglorious Basterds. This story about 2 different groups of people trying to take down the Nazis during World War II was full of great action, a brilliant script and some of the best actor's money can buy. Next up is Harry Brown, which had all of these plus some shockingly edgy moments and an ending which left me emotionally drained. Our last nominee is Pixar's, Up, which was able to show an entire romance in a 10 minute wordless monologue which had the audience in tears, before whisking us away on a fairytale adventure with suspense, action, comedy and effecting emotional depth. But as you can probably tell by now, the winner of this award was Neill Blomkamp's District 9 which had some of the best special effects of the year, best direction, some brilliant acting and a frightening relevant political storyline which isn't shoved down your through like dry marshmallows. But not only was District 9 my best film of the year, it was probably the best film in terms of film-making. It showed that anyone can make an amazing effective film, despite the lack of experience or money. In fact all of these nominees (apart from Up) had low budgets but made up for that with great story telling which James Cameron and Michael Bay can't seem to grasp.

Worst Picture
The Final Destination was the first 'bad' picture I saw in 2009. Bad acting and unimaginative deaths made this a definite weak link in the franchise. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen had hardly any Transformers, hardly any Fallen and instead gave us Mudflap and Skids. Jennifer's Body tried to make a film about Megan Fox and it failed because they forgot that Megan Fox is an awful actress. But the winner for worst film has to go to New Moon. I gave District 9 its award because it represented everything that's right with film-making. New Moon takes this one because it represents the other side of the spectrum. If your movie has Robert Pattison taking his shirt off, vampires, awful action and an even worse script then it automatically makes a lot of money. So congratulations Chris Weitz for showing us that no talent or genuine effort is needed to make a lot of money you mother fucking dick.

As much as I have my own reservations about who I want to win at the Oscars, I can't deny that there are some politics involved in selecting the winner. Oh well. Good luck to District 9 and Christoph Waltz.

I just want District 9 to win something, thats all I want.

Like it said in the end of the video "Go Prawns!"

Hey let's not say things we will regret miss congeleality is great ^^. I honestly think that, it's a stupid but suprisingly entertaining comedy that actually made me think that Sandra Bullock had talent for a while... I was wrong, obviously, but still.

holy shit jeff bridges is in tron 2... that will be so fucking awesome... and go avatar!! i fucking love that film... yes i'm a little bit of a fan boy...

While a majority of the nominees I can see why they're nominated and what not, and quite a few of them are very strong movies. However as it appears I might be a member of a minority here, but "The Blind Side" has got to be the biggest race exploitation film conceived in the recent decade. Admittedly a Bullock nod was expected, mind you with about a kilo of salt on my behalf. But a best picture...truthfully? Invitctus, Moon, Hangover... Whatever to be honest this should have been expected given the absolute love of the Oscar community for this type of product. However as far as a nod to District 9, why yes that is awesome. It's obvious it would never take Best Picture given the nature of the community, a sci-fi film made by an outsider and staring faces no one has seen, however I do hope they take Adapted Screenplay. Moving on to the dead heat race between Avatar and The Hurt Locker, while I love the Hurt Locker and consider the absolute best film of the year...I do have to agree with MovieBob in that I would rather see a giant adventure spectacle take the prize of a Best Picture Oscar. As LOTR did with it's win, when these types of movies get that kind of prestige it strengthens the genre as a whole as suddenly a lot more finance and green lights from producers get pushed in those directions of film making.

I was actually pretty excited for the best picture nominee list right up until I got to "The Blind Side," because right then, I had the sinking sensation that: a) it shouldn't be on there, since it was shit, and b) the Academy's going to give it Best Picture, just to give the finger to "genre" films. At least, it wouldn't be all that surprising, since it's based on a true story and has an "inspirational" (read: sappy) message. Sure, it's only superficial with any of its themes, and makes the kid Sandra Bullock adopts into nothing more than a factory for sad faces, but that's what sells.

Hopefully I'm wrong, because having "District 9", "The Hurt Locker," "A Serious Man" or any of the other movies on the list win would be far better than giving the Oscar to such a paint-by-numbers movie.

YoUnG205:

btw what is serious man I have not evne heard of it until now.

It's a Coen Bros. movie and it's REALLY good.

Good as always MovieBob.

Hubilub:

OH YES

Me and my Big Lebowski still-in-box bobble head agree. In fact, if Jeff Bridges wins, I'll unbox The Dude to celebrate!

So this was the most kick-ass EttM since District 9, partly because I'm so happy District 9 is nominated. But mostly for this epic line:

Movie Bob:
"The Blind Side - an inexplicably popular bucket of feel-good unicorn piss in which Erin Brockavich uses magical white people powers to turn Radio into Rudy."

Well, Let The Right One In isn't anywhere to be seen either, but you don't hear me complaining, do you?

........uh, wait.

i really want district 9 to win since that was my favorite film of the year, but i'm ok with avatar or hurt locker winning (if blind side pulls it off, we must begin anarchy for this world is no longer sane). agree that precious didn't really earn its best picture nod tho the performances certainly deserve to be nominated and they did.

SamElliot'sMustache:
I was actually pretty excited for the best picture nominee list right up until I got to "The Blind Side," because right then, I had the sinking sensation that: a) it shouldn't be on there, since it was shit, and b) the Academy's going to give it Best Picture, just to give the finger to "genre" films.

The thought has occurred, given the safety of voting that spectacle of idiocracy for a Best Picture, combined with the split vote among nine other films. We may have a bit more to fear my friend.

Casual Shinji:
Well, Let The Right One In isn't anywhere to be seen either, but you don't hear me complaining, do you?

........uh, wait.

And you're a year too late on that, since that movie came out in 2008. :)

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here