Stolen Pixels #166: Versus Zombies

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Stolen Pixels #166: Versus Zombies

What sorcery goes on in the deepest recesses of PopCap HQ?

Read Full Article

So setting up all those flowers in my front yard won't help me in the zombie apocalypse?

I don't know how they did it, but Popcap created my favorite tower lawn defense game ever.

I hope they make a sequel...or an expansion.

Also, Darth Vader vs Zombies would just be unfair.

I'm guessing that PopCap guy has never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Bunnies can be deadly.

They need release a sequel or some sort of support. Peggle got expanded recently. Bejewelled gets a sequel every so often. What about Plants Vs Zombies Popcap?!

Finally, Botanists can be of use and kill stuff! Glad to see that flowers can kill in another game besides Grim Fandango

canadamus_prime:
I'm guessing that PopCap guy has never seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail. Bunnies can be deadly.

I know right! Although maybe the Cupcake could be a lie...

I expect this is generally the case for the development process for the ideas of games. "I don't care if it's about, it could be about giant pencils invading planet Earth for all I care, just make sure it's addictive as hell and have it on my desk by the morning or you're fired!"

EDIT: Oh, and before anybody gets any ideas, I'm trademarking "Killer Pencils From Space" first thing in the morning, so you can just forget about it.

What I really loved about the game were the descriptions of every plant and zombie. How the hell can you make this stuff up?

Tower defense games...
I haven't been addicted to those since Wintermaul in 7th grade...

Brotherofwill:
What I really loved about the game were the descriptions of every plant and zombie. How the hell can you make this stuff up?

Yeah, it was hilarious!

WHAT? THEY CANNED CAKES VS. ZOMBIES? NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (etc.)

Yeah, those guys have a great creative department.

The giant rabbit thing reminded me: somebody has got to make Night of the Lepus: The Game.

Onyx Oblivion:

Yeah. Vader always wears his helmet making it impossible to get to his brrraaaaaaains!

No wait... he takes it off in his meditation capsule-thingy. Zombies only chance!

Tiamat666:

Onyx Oblivion:

Yeah. Vader always wears his helmet making it impossible to get to his brrraaaaaaains!

No wait... he takes it off in his meditation capsule-thingy. Zombies only chance!

And he's not gonna do that in a fight.

Just apply a bit of awesomesauce and this comes rolling out.

Dammit, I NEED to get that game...

I would have also liked to see plants vs cake

Shamus Young:
Snips

Good as always.

What is nagging at me is, why did they take Stolen Pixels main tab/link from the home page?
It's been replaced by the dire "GameDogs" I persume.

They are shuffling out the good writers for poorly written "comedy".

i would much rather have Cakes vs Zombies

Vader vs. Zombies would have been really cool :O

Someone's picked up Plants vs. Zombies, it seems...

But yeah. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the process used to make the game. Now we only need Plants vs. Bunnies, a realistic sequel. With plenty of brown and bloom. And Gore, if only to lecture us on the threat of global warming, before the bunnies get him.

I loved PvZ; my only beef was that it was pretty easy, with not a lot of replay value, compared to free games like "Desktop Tower Defense". The various "endless" modes were a nod in the right direction, but they're either broken (like Endless "I Zombie", which basically becomes impossible after level 15 or so, since they don't give you enough sunflowers to even buy 5 coneheads), or easily mastered to go on basically forever, once you know the perfect build strategy (like Survival Endless). And the coin-collecting/gardening aspect seems like it was just tacked on without much thought. I'd like to see a sequel where they tweak the game to make it more challenging for repeated play - essentially a solitaire replacement. As it stands now, replaying it is done as a strictly mechanical exercise.

LordCuthberton:

Shamus Young:
Snips

Good as always.

What is nagging at me is, why did they take Stolen Pixels main tab/link from the home page?

Because the main writer/creator of "Game Dogs" is also the Editor-in-Chief of the Escapist magazine.

If love conquers all,
and roses are the symbol of love,
Then shouldn't roses be able to fight zombies too?
That's what I learned in Philosophy :) ... not sure why I pay to go there...

I don't want a sequel to PvZ so much as I am absolutely terrified that they might release a handheld version. Puzzle Quest for the DS nearly destroyed me. There's no way such a thing could work out to my advantage.

I love how whimsical the game is. You don't see enough stuff like that coming out of the game industry. Why not plants?

I really wouldn't mind seeing a Star Wars game with zombies. It would be pretty interesting to play as nameless Jedi #16 facing off against zombie Stormtroopers and Twi'leks and shit during either the height of or the aftermath of the rebellion.

Shamus Young:

And how do they make it so addictive?

What sorcery goes on in the deepest recesses of PopCap HQ?

The sorcery that Nintendo and Blizzard also use to ensure a steady flow of cash. And since I'm not privy to the secrets of the aforementioned companies, I can't say the exact kind. But damn, this game is extremely cheesy and insane! Oh, it's great by the way.

Mausenheimmer:

LordCuthberton:

Shamus Young:
Snips

Good as always.

Because the main writer/creator of "Game Dogs" is also the Editor-in-Chief of the Escapist magazine.

I know. It's just annoying when high quality stuff is phased out for a series that has next to no fanbase outside the writers.

Because there's a zombie on your lawn, that's why.

Oh god the song...it's comeing back too me!

".....there's a zombie on your lawwwwn...."

NOOOOOOOOO!

I haven't heard that song. Should I consider myself lucky? :D

TheDirector:

Although maybe the Cupcake could be a lie...

That joke wasn't fun to begin with.

Galad:
I haven't heard that song. Should I consider myself lucky? :D

It trumps Yellow Submarine if you get that stuck in your head.

..damn..

Sir Kemper:
Oh god the song...it's comeing back too me!

".....there's a zombie on your lawwwwn...."

NOOOOOOOOO!

Oh great, you just got it re-stuck in my head. Thanks for that.[/slightly-amused-sarcasm]

makes about as much sense as any other explanation as to how they figured plants can shoot stuff and have googly eyes.

Onyx Oblivion:

I don't know how they did it, but Popcap created my favorite lawn defense game ever.

I hope they make a sequel...or an expansion.

[...]

Agreed! I enjoyed the game very much and have been hoping they would hurry up and make an expansion or sequel.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here