Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

just cause huh? ive seen it get good reviews... course i cant really rely on reviews anymore ever since halo 3 got like a standing ovation.... (until u beat the campaign in a time-span of like 3 hours)

Only thing I wondered when he was commenting on how all you can do was shoot crap was what he had mentioned back in painkiller. How a shooting game could just be that, a shooting game where you went around killing shit. I understand the schtick but I do sort of wonder if he would have liked borderlands had it been marketed more as a shooter than an RPG type game.

Edit: Or at least disliked it less

This game is a bad Fallout 3. That is easy to see.

Summed up my gaming experience with Borderlands pretty well.

I'm quite surprised he didn't mention the excessively unsatisfying ending.

dwoo21:

Thanks for the second opinion, I've seen the reviews for this game and most of it was good but I should have expected ZP to say all that since that is what he's known for. Anyways thanks I needed some help trying to figure out whether to give Borderlands a go.

Hey, glad I could help.

Pebkio:

I'm thinking that people have forgotton what playing Diablo was like... so I'd recommend that people go play it again just to make sure that Broderbands was indeed like Diablo.

Well, the premise of either is fairly similar... You don't play them for the story - at least, not more than once. You play 'em for the killing. That and it has diablo-esque elements, a la the random weapons.

Buuut... yep, that's where the similarities stop.

Niccolo:

Well, the premise of either is fairly similar... You don't play them for the story - at least, not more than once. You play 'em for the killing. That and it has diablo-esque elements, a la the random weapons.

You kill stuff, it drops weapons with fractionally better stats than the weapons you have, you use those weapons to kill more stuff. Occasionally you ding and spend a skill point on a slightly different way to kill stuff.

Did I just describe Diablo 2, or Borderlands?

I agree with this review. Play co-op with a bunch of strangers or roping in some 'friends' just to make a game playable and beyond boring mundanity is just a little annoying. If it does not stand up alone it is hardly worth it.

VaporFox:

Harry Slaughter:
It's an FPS with roleplaying elements.

Fixed. =P

I disagree though. In a first person shooter you don't have to gain experience just to kill something. That's why I, personally, consider a game like fallout 3 to be an FPS with roleplaying elements. While the roleplaying elements are good, they don't overshadow the combat. The point is, with a bit of luck in that game I could take out a very poewerful enemy in one or two shot at a low level. That would NEVER happen in borderlands. Something very common in a roleplaying game. Borderlands is very much meant to be a roleplaying game. Like I said above, it would have very much been the same kind of game had you replaced the guns with something else...say Melee weapons.

Domitianus:

K1LLSVV1TCH:
first

Somebody is getting a ban...

People who point out first posters are getting banned should still get a ban... they are sort of doing the same thing :P o_O

Yahtzee nailed this one. It's rare that I agree with everything he says in a review but he got me on this one!

serialver:
I agree with this review. Play co-op with a bunch of strangers or roping in some 'friends' just to make a game playable and beyond boring mundanity is just a little annoying. If it does not stand up alone it is hardly worth it.

I'm over all this multiplayer stuff o_O Some games just need to be played alone without the hassle of wondering what everyone else is doing, is everyone as good as you, are you surrounded by dickheads, is that guy taking all the gear/health, why am I doing all the damage/killing, why are 9yr olds joining random groups to be idiots and ruin everyones game etc etc -_-

Bring back single player!

This was more or less the experience I had with it, though I gave up long before level 30.

NO point in saying that I wish it would have been a different game.
By now, most people already have their own firm opinions of the game. I did like how the game incorporated some humor into normal gameplay, like having to find a crazy man's leg that was eating by a skag.
I also got a kick out of 9 Toes' entrance video.

The game seemed to talk elements from Diablo. Lots of level grinding and many varied weapons. For someone who would like to max out their character, this type of game may not be a bad thing.

That being said, the video itself was quite funny and I do enjoy your sense of humor.

GloatingSwine:

You kill stuff, it drops weapons with fractionally better stats than the weapons you have, you use those weapons to kill more stuff. Occasionally you ding and spend a skill point on a slightly different way to kill stuff.

I... think you just described a lot of games... I mean... a LOT. Wait... yeah, several "lot"s of games...

Yahtzee, you social networking whore! Stop that and go jerk off on the "Thief 4 is actually coming out!111111" news page. Seriously, misanthropists like us shouldn't give shit about that shit for shit's sake.

This game did get really old, really fast for me.

ProtoChimp:

Domitianus:

K1LLSVV1TCH:
first

When will people ever fucking learn that saying "first" always gets you a ban?

I think they do know. But that they want to be "cool"

Lol, all the complaints I saw coming, and they're pretty valid. Though I personally played it for the humor, which I"m totally urprised Yahtzee didn't comment on.
Seriously, how did he think melting midgets didn't deserve a mention?! XD

I think that what constitutes good in a computer game for me is evidentally quite differant to what does for Yahtzee. I actually have found Borderlands to be a whole lot of fun. Sure there's not really much story; but then plenty of recent games that have tried to present a story have told a bad, cliched or fundamentally confusing one. I would imagine playing online with random strangers WOULD be shit though. I am fortunate enough to know the people I team up with in the game in the real world, as they are old friends, and I expect this changes the game experience considerably.

At the end of the day, it's an amusing little game that doesn't take it self particularly seriously. The downloadable content has been pretty good quality as well. It will always lose points if you can't stand multiplayer though, unfortunately.

GloatingSwine:

Niccolo:

yes sir, u infact did decribe both at once.

This game is like a Diablo clone with a ton of fallout 3 mixed in. Haven't played it, but now I don't want to xD. Back to Phantasy Star Online for me.

rofl i love this review. but why at 2:24 are you holding a paintball pistol?!?!?!? rofl

SpireOfFire:
after watching my brother play borderlands, i decided to never play it. it looks like a graphic novel version of fallout 3 mixed with bioshock, but the killing point was my brother pouring something like 200 rounds of automatic gunfire into somethings face and it not dying until 300 rounds. afterwhich i said "yeah, fuck that."

Reminds me of watching a dormie play WoW...mediocrity...it's so EASY TO SPOT. And the bad interface...sounds like they went to the EVE Online UI school[that game has gotten much better, but oh lord the UI is painful, not X3 painful but, annoying].

GloatingSwine:

Niccolo:

Well, you described both. You also described Fallout 3, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins... hum.

Sarcasm fail.

Yes, Borderlands and Diablo are similar in some aspects. We all get that. But the main difference lies in what you will spend ninety-five percent of the game doing; killing things. Borderlands is an FPS, Diablo is a point-and-click.

The games are similar in that they're meant for the multi-playthrough crowd who like collecting weapons; after that...

Different stories, as well as different methods of telling those stories. One's serious, while the other seems to have more than one attempt at humour.

Different methods of killing things, as mentioned before.

Along with the different stories, a completely different atmosphere. Borderlands has something of a Fallout-if-set-in-Hillbilly-country vibe, while Diabloe could be cut-and-pasted into most fantasy worlds and suffer little.

The fact is, all games - if you dug enough - would have similarities. But they do have their differences, too.

Niccolo:

Well, you described both. You also described Fallout 3, Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect, Dragon Age Origins... hum.

Guess you missed the dialogue trees and not-killing-things-for-loot quests that all those games have and Diablo and Borderlands do not.

Yes, Borderlands and Diablo are similar in some aspects. We all get that. But the main difference lies in what you will spend ninety-five percent of the game doing; killing things.

Exactly, you spend ninety-five percent of the game killing things in both games. And in both games you spend the other five percent of the game looking to see whether the things you just killed dropped any good loot. The mechanical interaction of the game, isometric or first person, is not the game, it's just mechanical interaction (and if you're playing Blands on PC, that's all pointing and clicking as well).

Different stories, as well as different methods of telling those stories.=

Neither of which you will pay attention to, because stories do not drop good loot.

Entirely cosmetic, as mentioned before. The drive to proceed in Diablo and Borderlands is that you kill stuff and every so often find a slightly better sword/gun/bow with which to kill harder stuff. Anything else is window dressing. In the other games you mentioned, the drive to proceed is the drive to advance the story and explore the world itself, not so in Borderlands or Diablo.

Along with the different stories, a completely different atmosphere. Borderlands has something of a Fallout-if-set-in-Hillbilly-country vibe, while Diabloe could be cut-and-pasted into most fantasy worlds and suffer little.

Again, irrelevant. This is not what makes you play the games, what makes you play the game is the sweet anticipation that this time you'll find that shiny gun/sword/pair of pants.

ForgottenPr0digy:
I'm surprised I thought this week might Army of two:40th day or Dante's Inferno or MAG???

Never going to happen. I would pay to see an Yahtzee review of MAG but you should know by now it will never happen :D

GloatingSwine:

Niccolo:

Guess you missed the dialogue trees and not-killing-things-for-loot quests that all those games have and Diablo and Borderlands do not.

Yes, Borderlands and Diablo are similar in some aspects. We all get that. But the main difference lies in what you will spend ninety-five percent of the game doing; killing things.

Exactly, you spend ninety-five percent of the game killing things in both games. And in both games you spend the other five percent of the game looking to see whether the things you just killed dropped any good loot. The mechanical interaction of the game, isometric or first person, is not the game, it's just mechanical interaction (and if you're playing Blands on PC, that's all pointing and clicking as well).

Different stories, as well as different methods of telling those stories.=

Neither of which you will pay attention to, because stories do not drop good loot.

Entirely cosmetic, as mentioned before. The drive to proceed in Diablo and Borderlands is that you kill stuff and every so often find a slightly better sword/gun/bow with which to kill harder stuff. Anything else is window dressing. In the other games you mentioned, the drive to proceed is the drive to advance the story and explore the world itself, not so in Borderlands or Diablo.

Again, irrelevant. This is not what makes you play the games, what makes you play the game is the sweet anticipation that this time you'll find that shiny gun/sword/pair of pants.

Yes, the games are similar. I'm not arguing that. What I was arguing was that below the surface, the games did actually have differences. And that your sarcasm was trite more than anything else. My little knock with Dragon Age, Fallout and the rest was simply gentle fun aimed at your very, very open and vague original comparison checklist.

I can only speak for myself but I've played both Diablo 2 and Borderlands - incidentally, both on the PC - and, while I can see quite well that Diablo fans who like FPSes will see a certain allure in Borderlands, they both play as distinctly different games.

It seems that we are comparing them in two different manners. You are comparing Diablo and Borderlands in their manner of continuation - or drive to proceed, as you so succinctly put it.

I compare them differently - mainly, in the method of murder. It still boils down that Borderlands is a desert-land shooter while Diablo is a little-of-everywhere point-and-clicker - which is, for me, the key difference between the games and what separates one from the other for me. Because of that difference, I see them as similar but still different games.

Niccolo:

It seems that we are comparing them in two different manners. You are comparing Diablo and Borderlands in their manner of continuation - or drive to proceed, as you so succinctly put it.

I'm comparing the games from the perspective of their most central concept. It's really something that people should do more when they assess what a game is doing. What is the reason that the player continues to play this game?. Really, if you don't start with an assessment of that core concept then any analysis of a game you will make is all but bound to miss the point. As you have gone on to do:

I compare them differently - mainly, in the method of murder. It still boils down that Borderlands is a desert-land shooter while Diablo is a little-of-everywhere point-and-clicker - which is, for me, the key difference between the games and what separates one from the other for me. Because of that difference, I see them as similar but still different games.

You are comparing mechanical interaction, which really isn't a useful method of assessing a videogame unless you think that people really like the difference between how their mouse hand moves in game A vs. game B. If people really played games simply for the mechanical interaction, we would never have progressed beyond Quake, but we did, because the real reasons people play games, and the real reasons why game A is different from or similar to game B have nothing to do with the mechanical interaction.

Another great review of a terrible game.
Funny how that works out.

I'm not saying this game is bad. But im saying is to long and thats why Yatzee couldnt review it well

someone should invent a program that instantly blocks any messages that start with,or contain,"I think you should review.." so Yahtzee can review whatever the hell he wants (or whatever the Escapist force him to,however it works)
Playing borderlands is like looking at a 1-ft by 1-ft square of sand and flicking ants off of it whenever any of them stray onto your precious square of dirt. I feel sorry for him that he had to play this.
still,at least he didn't spend his own money on the game.

lax4life:

ProtoChimp:

Domitianus:

K1LLSVV1TCH:
first

When will people ever fucking learn that saying "first" always gets you a ban?

I think they do know. But that they want to be "cool"

If anyone is amazed at seeing some post "first" they should see the museum of fluff and wood splinters.
that'd blow their minds.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Borderlands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands.

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page .

Watch Video

The Mission:
Shoot Jason Voorhees in the face.

Not like they haven't done that one before in all of the Friday the 13th movies. Hell, I think they killed his ass in SPACE!

Good episode Yahtzee.

This is how he should have reviewed FO 3 >>

Damn, that was brutal.

It rings true for me though. I have the same problem Yahtzee does with co-op games: I don't bloody know anyone to play them with. I would love nothing more than to go through the entire game with a friend, but 95% of my friends don't give a rats ass about video games, and the 5% that do are busy playing other games or don't share the exact same schedule as me required to accomplish something like co-op play on a lengthy rpg-esque title.

It's completely frustrating. There's also no way I'm doing random net matchups with assfaces on a co-op game. It hardly ever works out.

To be honest, I'm not even interested in half the games he reviews, this one included.
I just love listening to him rant.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or