Zero Punctuation: Borderlands

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Complete and utter bull. It is a fun and as paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry

I know he's a critic and it's opinion, but the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hording is just brilliant.

Also interface being bad? I never had a problem with it...maybe someone was running out of complaints?

Hudson Hawk is the best movie ever fucking made!

Wow, he seemed extra angry at this one.

chenry:
I like Borderlands. But Yahtzee's not wrong about it either.

Yea verily. I had a blast playing it single player, but as you say, Yahtzee's gripes about it are all true. That interface is one of the worst I've ever seen.

The game gets alot more entertaining once you figure out how to mod it and turn rocket launchers into nuke launchers :D

seriously he bitchs about how he has to review 4 games about mytical creature massacer in a row and when dantes inferno finally comes out he dosnt review it i mean seriously what the hell??? still i liked borderlands even solo so ya he rly did just pick at stupid things still made me see a different side of the game then i have befor.

As always extremly entertaining and glad you finally did Borderlands~

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Borderlands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands.

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page .

Watch Video

Sir i bow to your review! everybody was hyped (and maybe most of them are..) about this game, but frankly i must say it's a simplistic FPS with few rpg elements and that's it.
and you might have lacked to add that there's no storyline... only a mirage of it.

Overall you've got the logical way of seeing it.

Poor Yahtzee XD. Saw the blurb last episode but I didn't think he would actually cave in. Oh well at least it's entertaining to watch him rant.

Talcon:
At first I liked Borderlands, but stopping to check if the new gun you found is marginally better than what you have, really "breaks the flow", to borrow a phrase from Yahtzee. Stopping the action every five minutes to analyze new gear is NOT good gameplay design, it's tedious and doesn't live up to the fast-paced action that FPS are SUPPOSED to be.

... or you could get a handle on your own OCD. It's not the game's fault that you go into your equipment menu every time you pick up a new gun. Admittedly it might make a big difference at low levels but, if it's killing your fun you have to be a grown-up and prioritize a little.

With a good collection already on my hands I've learned to mostly grab guns for cash value. I only look at stats when it's time to sell and often end up keeping 1-2 to replace weapons in my current lineup. Yeah maybe I'm missing some awesome white-letter sniper rifle, but probably not.

As someone who has played Borderlands and liked it, I must say this review was surprisingly accurate. Good job!

i was hella happy to see that YZ felt the same feeling that i had about borderlands. i have been taking wayyy too much heat from friends for my opinions. making me feel like i had to either get a new opinion or new friends. after watching this episode im thinking about getting new models of the latter.

The Rockerfly:

Also interface being bad? I never had a problem with it...maybe someone was running out of complaints?

Personally, the menu system is my biggest complaint with the whole game. The sheer time it takes to select a gun, scroll down the screen, find the stats, and find the other gun's stats probably took more time than half the missions (over-exaggeration).

I bought this game, played it by myself, beat it, and traded it in within the hour. Thank god for Gamestop, or I would have wasted all my money. Good review, Yahtzee.

runningfatman:
seriously he bitchs about how he has to review 4 games about mytical creature massacer in a row and when dantes inferno finally comes out he dosnt review it i mean seriously what the hell??? still i liked borderlands even solo so ya he rly did just pick at stupid things still made me see a different side of the game then i have befor.

GAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!!! SPELLING! Is English your first language?

Good on ya, succumbed to whiners.
Now go do a double Mass Effect / Bioshock 2-2 for me next week or I'll also cry.

On a totally irrelevant and meaningless sidenote: I agree fully with the review.
It's crap. It's cute and charming crap that'll make you giggle at ball jokes. But it's still crap.

The Rockerfly:
Well I think it is a fun and fast paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry.

I for one found the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hoarding brilliant.

I never had a problem with the interface, but I can understand if some people think differently

There. I re-wrote your post so you don't come off as a pretentious fanboy that perceives his, and only his, opinions as facts. Thank me later.

The Rockerfly:
Complete and utter bull. It is a fun and as paced RPG/FPS with some of the best gunplay I have seen since Far Cry

I know he's a critic and it's opinion, but the modded weapons, special abilities, choice of guns and hording is just brilliant.

1. Best gun play since Far Cry... what? Yeah, the shooting was fun, but all hit calculations were still d20 based, not actual accuracy/distance/etc based. They might have had the stats but that's not how the system worked (Placebo Effects). You're comparing apples to oranges.

2. This is also an opinion, I found it to be good, not great, making a first person loot-em-up isn't necessarily something new and innovative. If you want tons of loot at a cheaper price with about the same level of plot, character design, and level design get Torchlight.

3. The interface was pretty obnoxious on the PC, I can't even imagine how bad it was on the console.

DanHibiki:
Hudson Hawk is the best movie ever fucking made!

Yeah, I like Hudson Hawk too. *Whistles Singing on a Star*

I'm disappointed that you bowed to public pressure and reviewed a game you weren't going to do. Now you've set a precedent and idiots are going to realise they can manipulate you. Things are going to get a whole lot worse now.

I honestly didn't give a flying toss if he reviewed Boarderlands or not. But that's probably because of my MMO hate.

I've been waiting for this for awhile.
However, I didn't feel like asking for it.

Let the man do his job the way he wants to do it.

I really like Borderlands. Then again, I actually do have pictures and video of my car rolling over from 49,999 to 50,000.

Solid review.

It should be interesting to see what's to come in the following weeks.. So many new releases.

God of War clone, God of War clone, God of War clone and well... Borderlands.

wut

Did anyone else notice when they showed the Extra Punctuation photo that it said that Yahtzee had 5,361 new messages?

Pretty funny, looking forward to whenever he does ME2.

That was so sweetly venomous. I liked the sock puppets.

NickCooely:

There. I re-wrote your post so you don't come off as a pretentious fanboy that perceives his, and only his, opinions as facts. Thank me later.

I didn't though, I addressed that it's is opinion, reread my original post. I am a human being therefore I have an opinion, why is that such a bad thing these days?

How does it make me pretentious though?
No I won't thank you, you just come off as rude

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Borderlands

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Borderlands.

Be sure to join the Zero Punctuation Facebook Fan Page .

Watch Video

Loved the usual Yahtzee greatness! Great video. However I will respectfully disagree with your take on the game. Can't wait for Mass effect 2 review though! He is going to rip planet scanning a new one!

And so we disagree, nothing wrong with that good sir.

While I can't approve of complaining about problems that aren't there (like the lack of upgrades in Valkyria Chronicles) , or just plain stupid (like comparing Demon's Souls to IWBTG) I don't see why people object to nit-picking. As small as a flaw may be it's still a flaw. Wouldn't you prefer to have them fixed? Criticism can be constructive and harsh at the same time. If you have some self-distance then you shouldn't be excusing flaws in it, you should be looking for them and posting about them on the developer forums so they can easier decide what can be improved.

Sethstorm:
ok

Jamesigh:
Yahtzee, try not review Final Fantasy XIII until AFTER I've completed it......

he doesnt even like JRPG's i dont think a review of FFXIII is ever gonna hit here im sure the skies will fall and rivers run red with blood first lol

i reckon he will review it. it will be his first opportunity to critically mutilate a Final Fantasy game. and he has reviewed a couple JRPGs before.

I agree that playing the multiplayer shouldn't be needed. I actually play the game alone more often then online because when i play online its usually with people on my friends list an they have good connections. Also playing random online is the stupidest thing. Everyone just runs for the items and doesn't give you the time of day.

Jamesigh:

Sethstorm:
ok

Jamesigh:
Yahtzee, try not review Final Fantasy XIII until AFTER I've completed it......

he doesnt even like JRPG's i dont think a review of FFXIII is ever gonna hit here im sure the skies will fall and rivers run red with blood first lol

i reckon he will review it. it will be his first opportunity to critically mutilate a Final Fantasy game. and he has reviewed a couple JRPGs before.

I don't know about that. Yahtzee doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will review something just for the sake of bashing it. Maybe the editors at the Escapist will force him to, but I doubt it'll be completely by choice that he'll want to review it. I don't think movie critics go out trying to find movies they won't like to review. Don't forget they still have to invest all the time watching/playing the thing first.

Seeing this review makes me wonder what Yahtzee would think of the PC game of Fallen Earth, which is similar to Borderlands in that it blends first person shooter and rpg gameplay. In my opinion, Fallen Earth is the better game in it's story, where as Borderlands seems to be about killing Jason Voorhees.

And yes, I joined the Zero Puncutation Facebook Fan Page. Looks good.

Jamesigh:

I agree with that. Sooner or later he'll probably review a Final Fantasy game, and tell us his thoughts on the franchise. What he doesn't like about it, what he finds alright about it, and more importantly what annoys him the most about it. But none the less, regardless of what he says, I have XIII reserved to buy at my local video game store, and I hope it will be at least better than XII was.

I'm also really p.o.'d at the recent of abundance of games that are "only good online." If I wanted to interact with people, I'd go outside, maybe play some tennis or hockey. I might actually have fun. Video games have advanced beyond the inconvenience of having to find someone to play it with. That's why they were invented. What was the first major advancement of pong? Being able to play it at home by yourself. It's like saying masturbation's only enjoyable if you do it with a group of buddies. The second you introduce more people into the fold, it's no longer masturbation, just sex.

Likewise, online play is really swayed by the fact that you play with people you like. I swear I've read reviews that said Borderlands is much more fun with 3 friends who know what they're doing. Well yeah, everything is more fun with people you like. School, work, root canal, driving, sleeping, eating, going to the movies... doesn't make it any better in of itself just because you personally had a good time.

"You know, I really dug New Moon."
"Really, that movie was crap!"
"Yeah, well you didn't see it at the midnight release with dozens of screaming fans and then get laid afterwards by six different women because you were the only eligible male present."
"Oh, I guess I'll have to watch it again some time."

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 17 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or