Strange Love

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Strange Love

Dreading Valentine's Day? Maybe MovieBob can help.

Read Full Article

Actually, from this list, Natural Born Killers is the only one I've seen. But, based on what you've discussed, I might have to work a few of these into my Netflix queue.

Great Article Bob. Maybe i'll check these out. Except NBK's cause i hated that movie

I'm surprised you didn't mention the Jean Cocteau "Beauty and the Beast". That one is a great movie to put on for Valentine's day, mainly because everything about the production is so eerily beautiful and it's so wonderfully subtle as to work brilliantly.

Great list as always. I'll try to work some of those into my Netflix queue.

For whatever reason, I feel the need to recommend Secretary (2002) as a fantastic Valentine's Day film.

Interesting movies; I'm definitely adding some of these to my Netflix queue.

If I had to add anything to the list, it would be Oldboy: it's the only film I know that replaces a sub-romantic revenge story with surprise voyeurism in the last 15 minutes, perfect for Valentines Day!

Tromeo And Juliet is fantastic, one of my favourite films ever. Totally recommended for fans of sick crap (i.e me) and probably the best thing Troma studios have ever made. The freakiest thing about it is that I know a girl who looks exactly like that lesbian cook and even has almost the same tattoos and piercings.

And Oldboy is just wrongtown. Good film though.

Also, A Clockwork Orange would work; playing this movie on Valentines Day will immediately cleanse any aura of romance once associated with it.

Geoffrey42:
For whatever reason, I feel the need to recommend Secretary (2002) as a fantastic Valentine's Day film.

Why would you say that?

WHY!?

It's so...

No, there isn't a word for it

No Princess Bride? tsk tsk, MovieBob, that romance was very comedic.

"Life isn't fair, princess. Anybody who tells you different is selling something."

GrinningManiac:

Geoffrey42:

Why would you say that?

WHY!?

It's so...

The word you're looking for is "romantic".

Geoffrey42:

GrinningManiac:

Geoffrey42:

Why would you say that?

WHY!?

It's so...

The word you're looking for is "romantic".

But...!
I...
Eh...
Uh...

Oh alright, it's "romantic". But it's damnably strange, and a little uncomfertable to watch

Uh-oh..I'm one of those women who loves May. But it's because of May's transformation from unsure, weak wallflower to confident, empowered woman...great performance, very nuanced.

Natural Born Killers?!? Really?!?

That movie is a steaming pile of shit: as I watched it, I realized immediately that any irony and/or wit was entirely incidental. It was 2 hours of Oliver Stone screaming at the top of his lungs "OMGZ! I MAKE PROFOUND MOVIE ABOUT HOW MEDIA CREATES ULTRAVIOLENTZ!"

No, no, no.

A thousand times no.

The best Valentine's Day film to watch with your GF that is brutal and sick and twisted, but will still make her heart melt?

TRUE ROMANCE.

As a bonus, it has Brad Pitt in his finest role ever.

That is all.

Edit: I <cough> may have to check out May, however. So thanks for that recommendation, anyway.

Semi-random jab at Romeo "+" Juliet (& > +)? Nice. I knew I liked you, Bob.

That movie is wretched. Who knew that an entire generation of d-bags would claim to like it because they think doing so will make women believe they are deep?

BlueInkAlchemist:
Actually, from this list, Natural Born Killers is the only one I've seen.

Same, might have to try to see some of these films.

The fun this is I have seen most of these, and I really liked May, but I dont think that I will be sittin down with the g/f to watch them this Valentines day

-m

PhiMed:

That movie is wretched. Who knew that an entire generation of d-bags would claim to like it because they think doing so will make women believe they are deep?

Really? Oh wow. That's wonde- I mean, terrible! What age group are you speaking of? I like my odds against guys who are that stupid...

Seen some of these. Good films =D

I miss the days of "unusual euphamisms". I remember some particularly risque terms from the Laurel and Hardy films: "he kicked me right in the middle of my 'daily duties'," and "Oh, you think you can go down the stairs with my wife eh?" My favourite was one where they were flirting with some young lady by getting her to describe the appearance of some lost underwear.
Anyone remember this outrageous scene that happens in It Happened One Night?

Ban this filth!

MovieBob:
Strange Love

Dreading Valentine's Day? Maybe MovieBob can help.

Read Full Article

Hehe I remember watching Possession with my GF last year. All I can say for it is one thing, Tentacles.

if someone ever makes me watch King Kong Lives again I will blind myself by stapling my eyelids open and letting my eyes dry into dust.

Oh, and I feel like I have to mention this...

Shaun of the Dead was "A Romantic Comedy...With Zombies". It's a valentines tradition for me and my girlfriend

Good list, although now I'm curious about Possession. Well, I'm going in, wish me luck.

Captain Pancake:

"Life isn't fair, princess. Anybody who tells you different is selling something."

Now there's a movie I haven't seen in a while.

Harry Slaughter:
Oh, and I feel like I have to mention this...

Shaun of the Dead was "A Romantic Comedy...With Zombies". It's a valentines tradition for me and my girlfriend

yes, yes a thousand times yes! especially (not much of a spoiler but will do so anyway)

no mention of last tango in paris.........?

Captain Pancake:

solidstatemind:

That movie is a steaming pile of shit
The best Valentine's Day film to watch with your GF that is brutal and sick and twisted, but will still make her heart melt?

TRUE ROMANCE.

That is all.

You two have suggested some of the best romantic movies made. Interestingly I have to disagree on Natural Born Killers, I very much enjoyed it.

To the list I would add 'A Life Less Ordinary'

I'd also add L'enfant (2005) to that list.
Recently watched it. Romantic as hell.

Never saw NBK. Probably won't...judging from reactions in the comments here.

If you REALLY want to come across as deep and sensitive while still watching a movie that can be called "art" with a straight face, sit down with your GF and watch The Place Promised in our Early Days.

Thanks Bob, even though I have a date, I would still like to check those out. hehe.

THIS is precisely why I love Intermission. I've only heard of 3 of these movies (Kong, May, Killers) and only seen one (Killers). I'll add the rest to my ever-growing list of movies I need to see before I die and I'll love every second of them. Thanks Bob!

I'm not sure how to feel about the fact that I've seen Possession. I dated this girl for a while who was a formidable film geek in her own right, and we had a habit of raiding Kim's Video in Manhattan and just looking for stuff that was out there to check out we'd never heard of. This was one of those nights.

Yeah. I. Years later, I still have no words.

Except possibly to say..."Huh. I've dated women like that before."

solidstatemind:

That movie is a steaming pile of shit: as I watched it, I realized immediately that any irony and/or wit was entirely incidental. It was 2 hours of Oliver Stone screaming at the top of his lungs "OMGZ! I MAKE PROFOUND MOVIE ABOUT HOW MEDIA CREATES ULTRAVIOLENTZ!"

No, no, no.

A thousand times no.

TRUE ROMANCE.

That is all.

Edit: I <cough> may have to check out May, however. So thanks for that recommendation, anyway.

BAH! Ninja'd!

Yup, True Romance should have been on the list. Replacing Natural Born Killers.

Although I'd say Brad Pitt was better in Twelve Monkeys.

I thought Rebecca was a good romance film.

If I may add a few movies of my own:

The Return of the Living Dead Part 3: Boy loves girl. Girl dies in motorcycle accident. Boy's father is secretly experimenting with toxin. Boy exposes girl to toxin. Girl becomes zombie. Girl zombie is really into S&M. Also eating people.

Grimm Love: The story of Armin Meiwes. A.k.a. the German cannibal who ate a willing victim. Bet you didn't think they could make a love story out of that did you. But they did, and quite well actually.

Nekromantik 2: The touching story of a man, a woman, and a corpse. Much love ensues.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here