Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 5

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 5

It looks like the people of Archet finally get what's coming.

Read Full Article

Alright great article in general, but loved the Monty Python quote at the end

it may be sad, but you handle the drama well with your bitter sweet humor *stares at his shamus young pillow and sighs* yet another great one, and i still have a comic and article to look forward to.

i was thinking about trying LotR online out so i would get some of the references (you do a great job of keeping us up to date but still), but i feel like that would be cheating.

Does this game have a massive hard-on for spiders or something? o.O

Man, I remember playing the LOTRO free trail, and just thinking WTF when I hit this point.

Lost In The Void:
Alright great article in general, but loved the Monty Python quote at the end

Yeah, gotta admit that caught me too lol

"Dying hard or hardly dying?"

Oh, I needed that laugh...

Oh you just wait til you get the Postal Delivery service missions...

Or the Pie missions.

Hellman:

Huge and throbbing.

Gaaah, normally I just gloss over this kind of stuff with my ample supply of Willing Suspension of Disbelief, but this image of the well from page 3 just jumped out at me and wouldn't stop punching me in the face:

How. Did. She. Reach. That. Handle?! It doesn't even look like Lulzy could reach it with her arms up over her head. If she tried turning the handle she'd have to be a few feet off the ground just to keep it going around in a circle! Or did she just haul the bucket on a rope straight up the well with her exceedingly muscular physique? Her immense, ogrish forearms?!

This will haunt me forever.

Otherwise, very entertaining!

Suddenly I realize he's probably grief-stricken because he just lost his dad. Moreover, I seem to be standing on his dad's corpse.

That is one of the best lines ever. I can't stop laughing. Well done! I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Man, thank God Amdir wasn't Isildur's Heir, Middle-earth would have been screwed.

Hellman:

Spiders and boars. Later, they even lampshade the latter by having a timed boar hunting quest that results in you not finding any boars, as it seems like it's the first area up to that point not to have tons of boars.

Moosehowl- My thought the first time going through this instance was that when you throw the bucket of water, it's a very tiny amount of water that suddenly puts out a huge fire. They should have had you run back several times or something.

First time commenting on an Escapist... well, anything. I love this to bits, these sorts of quests were hilarious when playing the game. And I hope this continues up until Lulzy gets a pony, because I can only imagine the good jokes to be had.

As always, can't wait until the next one!

I really like this series. Will you do any game other than LOTRO? I definitely think you should. Also, what is the release pattern. What I mean is, ZP comes out every Wednesday, what about this?

Almost makes me want to try LOTRO. Almost. Funny as always. But whether its due to the game or to Shamus' writing is hard to tell.

Awesome work Shamus, this series is one of my favorites on the escapist. Im curious as to which direction you will go in once you get out of the newbie instance.

Champions online is sounding soooo much better.....

Honestly, vicarious MMO playing is much better than real MMO playing, you save time, get the gist of the story and NO GRINDING!

heyheysg:
Honestly, vicarious MMO playing is much better than real MMO playing, you save time, get the gist of the story and NO GRINDING!

Champions is turning out to be...*SHOCK* fun least until the nerfs hit everything...then it will be like COX was a year or so after launch...oh sorry we made this game for grinding and PVP not to have fun with....because PVP is serious business....

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/a/4/2a4770708407e0d2f59f97784593bc0f.jpg

sorry fail pic is fail >>

This is a good way for me to play LotR online since I have enough MMO's to play at the moment I dont want to add to it, plus Im poor enough as it is

-M

While I'm reading all of these the thought I can't shake is that Tolkien was, well, 'a bit of a Luddite' to put things mildly and I can only imagine him spinning in his grave fast enough that we could use his body as an electrical generation turbine.

Which is, as they say, hilarious.

I started playing LOTRO when I read the first part of this comicization,(decided to create a new word), of the game. I have to say I really like the game, it definitely has enough to keep me playing for a long time. But I have to say my favorite part of the game so far was after I pulled my hair out trying to navigate the Old Forest, I finally found Tom Bombadil's house. I have to say it is the most cheerful and uplifting place I have been in a game. I wish that that part of The Fellowship of the Ring had been put into the movie. It probably would have tacked another 20 minutes onto the movie, but if it was done right it would have been crazy awesome.

Great job Shamus, this comic is hilarious and so true.

I laughed at the pictures of him getting up and then jumping THROUGH THE FIRE hahaha. good stuff. Now he's going to go chase after Bilbo Baggins instead -.- lol

Even in a smoldering village of outstanding stupidity, there's never a bad time for Monty Python. I wonder what an MMO with remotely intelligent NPCs would be like...

Sonic Doctor:
I started playing LOTRO when I read the first part of this comicization,(decided to create a new word), of the game. I have to say I really like the game, it definitely has enough to keep me playing for a long time. But I have to say my favorite part of the game so far was after I pulled my hair out trying to navigate the Old Forest, I finally found Tom Bombadil's house. I have to say it is the most cheerful and uplifting place I have been in a game. I wish that that part of The Fellowship of the Ring had been put into the movie. It probably would have tacked another 20 minutes onto the movie, but if it was done right it would have been crazy awesome.

An interesting fact. There are 2 licenses for Lord of the Rings. There is the movie license which does not allow the reference to Tom Bombadil and then there is the book license which does. LOTRO is based off the book license and hence why we are able to meet Tom. I am sure there is someone out there that can explain to me why Tolkien Enterprise did I currently have no clue as to why.

Tsk, shame on you Lulzy for your misanthropic ways. I was quite saddened by the passing of the gaoler when I played that part, even if he was a bit thick.

never notice the ridiculousness of the newb area before XD

you know... i think the dwarf/elf end of tutorial sequence is better then... atleast you know.. the baddie stays dead then

MooseHowl:
Gaaah, normally I just gloss over this kind of stuff with my ample supply of Willing Suspension of Disbelief, but this image of the well from page 3 just jumped out at me and wouldn't stop punching me in the face:

How. Did. She. Reach. That. Handle?! It doesn't even look like Lulzy could reach it with her arms up over her head. If she tried turning the handle she'd have to be a few feet off the ground just to keep it going around in a circle! Or did she just haul the bucket on a rope straight up the well with her exceedingly muscular physique? Her immense, ogrish forearms?!

This will haunt me forever.

Otherwise, very entertaining!

When I saw that image I burst out laughing.

Not because of what you said, but look. The well is labeled "well".

They......labeled......the.....well.

Are people that stupid?

ZippyDSMlee:

heyheysg:

Champions is turning out to be...*SHOCK* fun least until the nerfs hit everything...then it will be like COX was a year or so after launch...oh sorry we made this game for grinding and PVP not to have fun with....because PVP is serious business....

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/2/a/4/2a4770708407e0d2f59f97784593bc0f.jpg

sorry fail pic is fail >>

give me a few sec to get into a pvp arena thingy in champions online and i'll give you a better picture.. (one in which someone is busy running away) since running away is what champions online pvp is about! (yes i got champions online)

Cor! You were really lucky that Eogan didn't taunt you a second time!

.....I'll get my coat.

Sorry if this one is a bit of a downer. "A village burns down and everyone dies" is a pretty tough set-up for jokes, actually.

Au contraire, I thought this was your best, and funniest, episode so far. Well done!

Delmar Wynn:

Sonic Doctor:

An interesting fact. There are 2 licenses for Lord of the Rings. There is the movie license which does not allow the reference to Tom Bombadil and then there is the book license which does. LOTRO is based off the book license and hence why we are able to meet Tom. I am sure there is someone out there that can explain to me why Tolkien Enterprise did I currently have no clue as to why.

Wow, didn't know that. It would be interesting to find out why. My take would be that Tolkien Enterprise saw some of the stupid changes that Peter Jackson was making to the story(i.e. the elves coming to help out at Helms Deep, which they didn't in The Two Towers book), and decided that they didn't want him to screw up the great character that is Tom Bombadil.

"Dying hard or hardly dying?" Gold. Gold!

Mundo Sackville-Baggins.
Mundo. Sackville. Baggins.

Really? That's really this guy's name? I have to admit that I own The Hobbit and the three LOTR books, but I've never actually finished any of them, so imagine my surprise when I learned that "Sackville-Baggins" was actually something Tolkien himself came up with. Funny part is that in the official Baggins family tree, there appears to be no Mundo Sackville-Baggins. In fact, according to Wikipedia, there were only Otho Sackville-Baggins and his son, Lotho. Lotho was killed and, with him, that line of the family died off.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here