Zero Punctuation: Mass Effect 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 15 NEXT

quite a fair review to be, well fair.

don't agree on the combat, i thought it was pretty solid compared to the first game, and the inclusion of "ammo" (in inverted commas of course) was good. makes you think more about your shots rather than spray, then wait a fraction of a second THEN SPRAY SOME MOAR.

I miss the vehicle sections they were fun...and so was equipment.... oh well water it down here we go bioshock again >>

uhg when will devs learn you can dumb it down and have that as a default option for people who can't handel menus while the rest of us can haz a game to play minus the piss...er...water.....

You could see how much he hateed the game... not having enough flaws to rip into.

And by all means it's understandable, Mass Effect 2 is an excellent game. As for which character to bone this time round, I went with the ship's secretary character because she was pretty much on her knees in front of you the second you joined up. The other female character IE who actually fights along side you is so bloody annoying. Not just her character but her face, want to punch it!

It's funny when you meet Ashley Williams again because she's angry at you. "So I sex with you for nothing?"

ZippyDSMlee:
I miss the vehicle sections they were fun...and so was equipment.... oh well water it down here we go bioshock again >>

uhg when will devs learn you can dumb it down and have that as a default option for people who can't handel menus while the rest of us can haz a game to play minus the piss...er...water.....

I love RPGs, I love Bioware and I love Bioware RPGs.

Both vehicle sections and equipment screen were THE WORST things about ME1, if you exclude problems with modern Nvidia drivers, not game's fault. Equipment screen was a major clusterbeep and Mako sucked ass. Seriously, it was so unwieldy I did all the "walking" missions first before going into Mako.

The Uber n00b3r:
After playing Mass2 I'd agree to most of this. Mixing Vehicle exploration and scanning at the same time would be waaaaaaaay better. The ending was rather bad though, because when you eliminate the threat and go say "Hey council i took care of the problem for you." That option mysteriously isn't there.

It's like they fucked it up on purpose...

Solid game, good fun, DLC is probably coming out in droves so hang onto it. The end.

It wouldn't be logical if they DID thank you. They said they won't acknowledge the Reapers as a real threat, since nobody saw them except for Shepard, and they think Sovereign was actually a Geth warship or something... Especially since the scavengers (one of them was Cerberus) took most of the parts from the ship, so it was impossible for Council to get any informations about the Reapers.

Every time I come to a ZP topic....the first post is always banned because some twat thinks his funny to say "first"....
Way to go.

f3niks:

littlerudi08107:
I knew it, overblown bland piece of shit just like the first one.

Wait, you actually use Yahtzee's videos to determine whether or not you are going to buy a game?

Furthermore Yahtzee never said that...

BlueInkAlchemist:

Axolotl:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Axolotl:
Bioware games have good writing now?

Well they sure hid that in all the games I've played by them.

That's a nice business card you have there. I'm surprised you've kept it dry whilst living under that bridge.

What?

image Professional troll.

Oh I get it now, since I have a different opinion from yours I must be a troll.

Well no, I'm not trolling Bioware games are not well written (at least none of the ones I've have been), they're badly written especially when compared to other RPGs.

Wakefield:

f3niks:

littlerudi08107:
I knew it, overblown bland piece of shit just like the first one.

Wait, you actually use Yahtzee's videos to determine whether or not you are going to buy a game?

Furthermore Yahtzee never said that...

Almost like he didn't watch the review. o3o

A1:

Telperion:

I must point out that ME 2 is not an RPG. It's a 3rd Person Shooter fest with the lightest of possible RPG elements stacked on top of a good storyline.

Umm, do you mean that in a good way or a bad way?

As long as you don't go in expecting too much ME 2 is a very good game. So, ME 2 not being an RPG is either a good thing or a bad thing depending on your own personal preference. Then again, as Yathzee pointed out ME 2 is not a great shooter either. The game tries to be a lot of things, but doesn't exactly shine in any one particular area, except in the storyline department.

I whole-heartedly agree with Yahtzee that the most of the side-missions can get awefully repetitive, and you can always guess when a gang of bad guys is going to jump you. Just look out for random stacks of crates, boxes, high pilars and whatnot. Basically anything that the game's cover system can stick to, and soon enough you will come under fire.

The planet scanning minigame is also a major borefest, but unfortunately something that you have to go through. This seriously cuts down on the game's replay value, as you know what a chore you have go through going in a second time. Personally I don't know, if I even feel like giving the game a second playthrough. Never mind the achievements you can only lock with a second playthrough - I'm not that interested in them in the first place.

daxterx2005:
Every time I come to a ZP topic....the first post is always banned because some twat thinks his funny to say "first"....
Way to go.

I think they should send someone to go punch that person in the face.

OT: I know resource mining was a bore, but overall I think ME2 was an excellent game. The "world" felt small through. There are random places for you to head to the surface and kill stuff, but you have to find them through resource harvesting. I took 2 days off work to play through the game and did spend far too long resource mining so that in my second play through I didn't want to do it at all and was looking for some cheat code so I could skip it on subsequent plays.

PC Version ftw.

Axolotl:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Axolotl:

BlueInkAlchemist:

Axolotl:
Bioware games have good writing now?

Well they sure hid that in all the games I've played by them.

That's a nice business card you have there. I'm surprised you've kept it dry whilst living under that bridge.

What?

image Professional troll.

Oh I get it now, since I have a different opinion from yours I must be a troll.

Well no, I'm not trolling Bioware games are not well written (at least none of the ones I've have been), they're badly written especially when compared to other RPGs.

I think theres a little confusion as to which of you is the troll...while I disagree with Bioware games being not well written (may I ask what RPG's have better writing in your opinion?) I would certainly not call you a troll for your opinion.

I hate to say "I called it", but, I called it.

Well, besides the "alien sex" bit. Just replace that with "sex".

I'm playing it though on Insanity difficulty with my 30 Infiltrator and so far the combat has been a lot more satisfying than my first run through on Veteran (even late game Harbingers were just just Heavy Warp, shot to the head, next). Mooks have minor armor or shielding for one, and you can't just rape them with biotics.

Suskie:

In all seriousness, solid video as always. A little disappointed he didn't like it more, but obviously I can't say I'm surprised. I do like how he tried to make the fact that BioWare are known for good writing sound like a negative (and failed miserably).

Didn't like it more? If you compare to all other reviews, he basically gave this a 10/10.

My personal opinion coincides quite well with Yahtzee's on this one. Generic reviewers have gone ape bonkers over this game, yet it is quite clear - as Yahtzee pointed out - that boring Mako sections got replaced with even more boring "peel the orange" resource mining. And number two in pointless time wasting isn't far behind: who on Earth came up with the inane idea to include "Memory-4-Dummeez" as a hacking subgame?

So I guess the ape bonkerzness came from the game's superb graphics, slick interface, sound Resident Evil 4-styled weapon system, gripping soundtrack, quality narrative (although there are some loopholes I'm not going into here), the seamless integration with the previous game and generally okay fighting scenes (still a bit too easy for my tastes, but oh well).

Personally, I do think going ape bonkers is the right attitude here, but with an added "but..." in there for the obvious and daft time wasters. So, definitely not ape bonkers all the way. Still, a great Action Adventure to purchase and I do want to see what's in store for us all in part 3.

Yatzee's being a bit overcritical of this one. The Mass Effect 2 gameplay is alot better than say Fallout 3's gameplay.

lol. first post is best. I liked it. The review i have yet to play the game. Also His dixk is Unimpressed or Unimpressive? ZING! lol.

Funny, but honestly Yahtzee, there are multiple levels of difficulty and you need your AI on Hardcore and Insanity. Not that you really care for challenges it seems.

Also, you must have gone into the game thinking I must be either entirely bad or evil because I made a lot of Renegade choices but my dialogue and everyday actions were usually paragon so by the time I was banging Tali I had practically even and near full boxes on both (slightly more renegade)

I didn't like this Zero Punctuation, although it did make some good points. It just wasn't funny, and that's the only reason I watch this. Hopefully next week is better.

KillerRabbit:

Suskie:

In all seriousness, solid video as always. A little disappointed he didn't like it more, but obviously I can't say I'm surprised. I do like how he tried to make the fact that BioWare are known for good writing sound like a negative (and failed miserably).

Didn't like it more? If you compare to all other reviews, he basically gave this a 10/10.

Hahaha, yeah, that seems to be the approach most people are taking to this review. But there have been cases in the past (Infamous, Call of Duty 4, etc.) where he nitpicked but then admitted he was having fun. I'm wondering if this'll be a case like Uncharted 2, where his review isn't all that positive but he later admits to enjoying the game.

Didn't he attack Demon's Souls in his column for not having difficulty settings? And now he's complaining about an optional mechanic that's making the game easier for him, and he's complaining game's too easy? In a game WITH difficulty settings? Yeah, he's just looking for stuff to complain about.

Sums up everything I like/hated with ME2. I can appreciate that. And Yahtzee's hatred seems to have lessened a bit for the series since the first one.

Xanyr:
Good writing? So did you miss the humongous plot holes and failed characterization of the Reapers?

The writing and story were great. You are right that there were some plot holes in the sense of "how could he know that already" kinds. And as for mischaracterization of the Reapers...??? If you mean that they don't act like they should act then you can't make that call because their intentions and why they destroy all biological life still isn't clear. Theoretically they need fuel or tech. Or possibly they have some sort of twisted god logic in that they must destory life before it becomes to corrupt, decadent, evil, dark, like them, etc.

Kind of sick of his schtick. Seriously, the guy has one trick. Its a great trick the first couple times you see it, but then it gets pretty tedious.

MiracleOfSound:
I never really get why Yahtzee complains about games being too easy when there are multiple difficulty settings.

He should try not issuing commands to the AI on Insanity and see how far he gets...

Someone may have already said this but I'm fucked if I'm reading 191 posts after a 12 hour shift to find out but...

He's only got a few days to review the game, I'm fairly confident that 'easy' is a setting that will allow him to cut a swathe through the story fastest to cover as much game as possible.

am i the only one shocked he dident say anything about the QTE dialog interupts?

Well, having played the game I can this...Yahtzee had given a fair review and it's kind of what I expected. By now most people now that he hardly ever gives a game a review filled with only praise, not to mention he has made a really good point.

The fact that Bioware got rid of the whole vechile section was good, but replacing it with probing was a mistake. Also, I can see his point with diffculty because on the normal mode the game is very easy, I only died because I pulled off a few stupud moves.

All in all, is a fair review for the game!

My idea for planetary exploration in ME3 was more along the lines of taking the Normandy itself down (or a shuttle), but jetpacks will do.

Also, he gives the game credit where credit is due - such as with the streamlined inventory system and absent vehicle sections.

And is it wrong to like the fact that Yahtzee and I chose the same specialization?

hahaha been a while since I had laugh out loud with ZP =]

Brad Shepard:
am i the only one shocked he dident say anything about the QTE dialog interupts?

If I remember correctly, Yahtzee once said that he doesn't mind quicktime events IF they're a core part of gameplay instead of randomly tossing them in when the player isn't ready. Mass Effect 2 has one of the better implementations of QTE's in that they can be very useful if you want but you won't be punished if you miss them.

JeanLuc761:

Brad Shepard:

If I remember correctly, Yahtzee once said that he doesn't mind quicktime events IF they're a core part of gameplay instead of randomly tossing them in when the player isn't ready. Mass Effect 2 has one of the better implementations of QTE's in that they can be very useful if you want but you won't be punished if you miss them.

ok, thats a good point, in fact, they reward you half the time, like with the airship with the archangel mission

The game is easy on any difficulty level. The chest high walls make you completely invulnerable (while healing all wounds in a few seconds) and the fact squad powers operate based upon your line of sight rather than theirs removes any sort of challenge. Pop em, shoot em, kill em.

The only reason you will ever die on any difficulty is determined retardation or when the cover system bugs out. Like it always will if there is ever a target to your immediate left or right.

And scanning was dull. The only way to not have to scan anything is to play the game twice. importing me1 saves only gives 3k-5k of everything. No matter how much of the scavenger hunt you completed.

Great review yet again.

I hope they won't go with planet exploration again in ME3,although I didn't mind it in ME1.The only annoying thing in ME1 for me at least was the inventory.

Suskie:
Wow, people really refuse to give resource mining a break, don't they? Not that I'm surprised Yahtzee would spend 80% of the review complaining about something you can just skip altogether. The game must've been pretty awesome if that's the best he's got! </fanboy rant>

So I'm taking it your a ME2 fan, then? The reason he has to say those things is because of his FANTASTIC Psychonauts review, which half the site apparently hated because he stated his honest to god opinion about it.

So don't make a remark about him which is UNJUSTIFIED.

The "HammerHead" is supposed to come out on the Cerberus Network so you can do planetary exploration again.

Xanyr:
Good writing? So did you miss the humongous plot holes and failed characterization of the Reapers?

Maybe there's no characterisation of Reapers because you don't meet any?!? Plus, it's a trilogy and this was the second part. I assume "plot holes" were intended.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 49190)