Escape to the Movies: Shutter Island

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

PunchClockVillain:

Ian Caronia:

ramik81:

Ian Caronia:
You're right, MovieBob. I wouldn't expect anything "profound" in this era, even by Scorsese.
-As for the review: You're awful Brooklyn accent made me feel unclean (I don't care if you really tried with it or not, it made the review difficult to listen to).

Umm..that's a Boston accent, and that's his...he isn't trying to fake anything.

(what a re....)0o

Are you being serious? GO watch his other reviews right now and tell me if that's his real accent. Also, we call it a Brooklyn accent where I'm from.

-If you're not serious and just taking the piss outta me, then... Well played, sir.

Ahem:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-escapist-presents/561-MovieBob-Oscar-Show

Check out 0:29.

Well...shit. Alright, then, I guess his "Boston" accent is real, but my opinion of his review still stands (an opinion that was cut in half when quoted). Thanks for the proof, PunchClockVillain. Now I [can] watch his review without bleeding ears.

I didnt guess the twist!, I must suck.

What sucks about living near Boston is that it took my about 2 minutes into the video to realize he was putting on an accent.

There are going to be soooo many people who are going to be like, "Yeah, I had it figured out halfway through" as if it's some accomplishment. It's pretty apparent there wasn't a big effort to hide it so much as straight up tell you and maybe throw in an intentionally harebrained seed of doubt or two and you're really just there for the ride.

Everybody wants Shyamalan in their thriller movies these days.

Hey asshole, pick an accent and stick with it. It's not clever, and it's not funny, it's just distracting. I don't care where the movie is set. Yeah, Scorsese is awesome and I'll see it just to watch him do his thing; and to watch Di Caprio prove he's an actor again and crawl out of the "I was in Titanic" purgatory.

edit: Yes, I know it's his real accent but he slips in and out of it the whole review. Someone said that people want M. Night S. style twists in their movies -- oh please dear god no! I want a twist that I don't see coming a mile away but it also has to be relevant and plausible. It should not render the entire movie pointless in the last 10 min, like The Village.

GameGoddess101:

It's a New England accent, actually. Bostonian, to be precise

Thank you so much for helping everyone know the difference, i was getting kind of ticked at how often i saw Brooklyn/New York Accent.

Good to know i'm not the only one that knows Bob is from Boston.

spoiler alert

The only thing I would have changed about Shutter Island at the screenplay level would be to move that big back-is-burning hallucinatory sequence with his wife to somewhere in the climax of the film. That was a stunning scene, and it really would have carried a goddamn transcendent level of oomph if it had been built up towards, rather than jarringly cut to-and-from. As it is, the scene serves to tell us that...Leo's character is...grieving his wife. Because that hadn't come across yet I suppose <_<

As it is, I thought it was pretty decent. And say what you want, people, but pretty-boy/teen-heart-throb roots aside, DiCaprio has become a damn fine actor.

Also: JACKIE EARL FUCKING HALEY.

No, I had no idea that Scorsese had directed for Michael Jackson. I do remember a cameo by Marlon Brando in the "You Rock My World" video, though.

Happy Birthday MovieBob.

Wow i dont think i saw anything bad said about the movie this time around..

Dark Templar:

Onyx Oblivion:
Thank god you understand that Avatar's plot is fine. Seriously, if you only have a few movies to compare the plot to after 50+ years of movies, you've got a decent plot.

Here here.

Everyone who keeps pointing out that avatars plot has been done before is just railing against a popular movie for the sake of looking "cool" on the internet. Imo.

It was remarkably well presented, visually spectacular, the characters and settings where remarkably fleshed out. Even if it is just dances with wolves again its on of the best dances with wolves movies out there.

Is anyone else getting sick of people pointing out that people pointing out that avatar's plot has been done are pointing out the obvious??

honestly, I've heard more people bashing people pointing it out than I've heard actual people pointing it out!

you know what was cool? Serenity.

anyway,
my problem with avatar isn't that it rips off a well known story, it's that it rips off THE WRONG well known story. obviously sci-fi and western can mix well, just not THAT story, I guess I was expecting sci-fi, and thats not really what I got, just came off as a movie that went with special effects and genre to draw one crowd in, and a story to draw another crowd in, to get the best bang for buck, all the while braining us against the 'GREEN' wall for the hundredth frikin time this decade! in short, its not what I was expecting, not really my thing, I think it was better suited in the hands of the Disney animators, I mean its set in the future! how can you feel guilty for something that hasn't happed yet?

sanctity? lol

I want to see this movie, and this review only made me want to see this movie more, but I can't do scary movies at all so I can't see it. I was terrified by I Am Legend, for crying out loud. (Yes, I know it wasn't scary, shut up about it already. That's the point I'm trying to make here.) Not fair...

Mr.Tea:

Hawkeye16:
Dat Brooklyn Accent Makes it dificult to consentrate on card games.

bikeninja:
heh, Bobs got his angry New York accent again.

Freebird.:
Wow, your Brooklyn accent's really strong in this one. Anyway, I haven't heard of this movie before but it looks good. I might have to check it out.

Sovvolf:
Happy Birthday movie Bob. Why the New Yawker accent?. I haven't seen this movie just yet but well Scorsese hasn't failed me yet and I've been looking forward to playing this movie since I saw his name on it.

Jaranja:

BROOKLYN RAGE!

He's from Boston! It's a Boston accent!

The Departed? Good Will Hunting? TF2 Scout? Anyone?

I know Bob is from Boston but I thought he sounded more like a New York cab driver. My mistake, being that I'm not from America I get my accents muddled up, Mark Wahlberg = Boston accent correct?. Boston accents for what I've heard of them off of T.V have a like Irish style accent.

I wasn't too impressed by this film. It was "alright" but that's about it. It had a lot of great actors in it but I don't think it was executed as well as it could have been. I know that it was kind of Scorcese's tribute to Stanley Kubrick but it still could have been a little cleaner in my opinion. Like Bob said, after I saw the trailer I knew what the movie was about and how it would end. Still it was entertaining enough.

thenumberthirteen:
Happy Birthday Bob.

I baked you a cake

I'm a fast Baker

You sir deserve a fan of the week award from him :D

Songbird-O:

It wasn't Avatar's plot that made me dislike it. It was the film's long, drawn out, anvilicious nature that did it for me, as well as many other people I know. It made me groan when it tried to be witty, and made me cringe when it tried to send a message. Why couldn't it just be about humans and aliens romping around a visually stunning world?

The plot was fine and the movie looked beautiful. I don't even really hate Avatar. It just annoys me. Not all of us dislike Avatar for it's cliche plot. All plots are cliche, and it is unique execution that distinguishes them from all of the others. But that doesn't mean I can't dislike the movie for other reasons. Please stop harping about people who didn't like Avatar.

I second that. Thank you for actually explaining it!

As for this movie. I thought it was quite possibly one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time. It was so beautifully shot and executed that I was glued to the screen the whole film. I'll agree,I expected most of the twist pretty early on so it was pretty predictable in that department. But damn was it good!

Dark Templar:

Onyx Oblivion:
Thank god you understand that Avatar's plot is fine. Seriously, if you only have a few movies to compare the plot to after 50+ years of movies, you've got a decent plot.

Here here.

Everyone who keeps pointing out that avatars plot has been done before is just railing against a popular movie for the sake of looking "cool" on the internet. Imo.

It was remarkably well presented, visually spectacular, the characters and settings where remarkably fleshed out. Even if it is just dances with wolves again its on of the best dances with wolves movies out there.

It still doesn't deserve best picture.

That movie was seriously underwhelming. Without any surprising twist or very deep thought in the plot, it really just didn't have much going for it. Meh.

Yeah. I thought it was a really good movie. I saw it on Saturday and I felt that my money was not wasted at all. Thank God for this redeeming what little faith I had about movies these days.

Giving away that there is going to be a twistending is spoiling in my book, but I also think that over 90% of all the trailers spoil way too much.

However, I do appreciate the fair spoiler warning, Movie Bob. I'll watch the movie (when ever that might be), before watching your video.

Thanks

Dark Templar:

Really? I wonder what other things I've been avoiding admitting that I like on the internet to avoid scorn from people who just want to look internet cool.

ZerOmega:
Giving away that there is going to be a twistending is spoiling in my book, but I also think that over 90% of all the trailers spoil way too much.

You have to take into consideration that this includes a lot of action movie trailers though, most of which don't have much plot if any and give everything away in the trailer because if they left that part out the trailer would just be explosions. Not that that will stop some action films from making all explosion, no plot trailers anyway, as it apparently doesn't stop people from watching. The first trailer I saw for Avatar was a 30 second TV spot that had about 2 lines of dialogue, one of which was something along the lines of "Woah, this is pretty cool." This led to my completely misunderstanding the plot of the film for a few weeks, and I still like my version as well (I also avoided the Dances with Wolves discussion because I don't read that kind of thing on forums, don't have cable TV to watch south park, and have not, in fact, ever seen the film in it's entirety, as what I remember from it was from the times it aired on television and I happened to be playing video games in the same room with someone watching it). It didn't stop me from seeing Avatar twice, though admittedly the second time was because my brother hadn't seen it yet and we were celebrating his birthday.

Speaking of which, Happy Birthday Movie Bob, and great video, as always.

JZmada:

GameGoddess101:

It's a New England accent, actually. Bostonian, to be precise

Thank you so much for helping everyone know the difference, i was getting kind of ticked at how often i saw Brooklyn/New York Accent.

Good to know i'm not the only one that knows Bob is from Boston.

Well, I'm from that neck of the woods myself, so I have a very slight Bostonian/Mainah accent going on.

Yeah, my problem with this is that I figure out the ending by watching one trailer...then my friend who read the book confirmed that I was right...you know, good twist endings are supposed to be UNEXPECTED.

Movie Bob,
For future reference just saying that there is a suprise/twist ending is a spoiler. If you really want to not spoil the movie, just open with the spoiler warning and not why you feel the need to include spoilers.

Ironically, after spoiling the movie by warning that you could not review the movie without discussing the twist ending, you almost managed to review the movie with out discussing the twist. You barely mentioned it. You could have cut 10 seconds and safely stayed away from any spoiler material. Of course you would then have needed to cut an additional 45 seconds by trimming your "warning".

Saying that you need to discuss the twist in a review is a cop out and lazy. There is plenty to talk about without going anywhere near the "suprise" material. For that reason, I rate this as one of your worst reviews. Even worse than that 2012 one where you somehow managed to give it a positive rating.

You can still have a (belated) happy birthday though.

Best thing about the movie was the deliberate lack of continuity. It's most noticeable in the dream sequences but you see it more subtly all through the film.

Well the problem with Avatar is that with 500 milion dollars to make a movie you'd expect a stellar script never done! It's solid, but not something new.

If it's as half good as Cape Fear, I'll check this film out. Thanks Bob!

Happy Birthday Bob! Keep doing what you're doing because you are the best.

Canid117:

Dark Templar:

Onyx Oblivion:

Here here.

It still doesn't deserve best picture.

Oh with this I whole heartedly agree.

Happy birthday man.

Might see the movie.

My thoughts on the movie are quite simply that it was pretty good, but could have been better.

See, I think Moviebob is sort of lost in his admiration for the movie's director that he tends to forget the entire point of this kind of movie. I don't see the point of a "twist" that is that heavily foreshadowed and obvious. Truthfully I think that makes the movie something of a failure, especially seeing as I can think of things they could have done like having a double twist (which I half expected) that could have redeemed the whole thing on that level.

What's more I will be honest in saying that while the bits at the Asylum itself were positively awesome, with good effects and visuals all around, I almost walked out of the movie at the very beginning.

Why you might ask? It has nothing to do with the twist, but there is this scene of Leonardo Dicaprio and his partner coming into the island on the ferry, having a conversation. I'm no expert on visual effects, but to me it looked painfully like a soundstage with the "boat platform" placed in front of a moving backround/backdrop. Maybe I'm wrong, but that is how it actually looked. In today's world of visual effects, I don't expect to see something that looks like it could have actually been in an old 1950s detective movie. I don't know... maybe that was intentional, but I was half expecting rubber bats on strings, fake blood capsules, and other FX that are only entertaining in intentionally bad movies (or very, very old ones).

Opinions vary, but that first scene was really, really disappointing. If it was actually shot on a real boat (which I doubt) then someone really needs to have a word with a Camera crew that can make reality look like a badly executed soundstage scene. :P

That said, I won't spoil the "twist" (and I actually came back to Moviebob's review to avoid even an indirect spoiler) but really... it will overwhelm you. Sadly this is a style over substance movie.

bikeninja:
heh, Bobs got his angry New York accent again.

I thought he was making fun of how strong DiCaprio's accent was...
OT: Pretty good movie. Good review too.

Melancholy_Ocelot:
For those of you who enjoy this film check out Spellbound by Hitchcock

Also Mulholland Drive by David Lynch.

I found this movie pointless, it spends the whole movie setting up an epic plot about phycological experiments and conspiracy. Then it just goes "haha got you, it was all just a big dream and now this guy is getting a lobotomy and is going to spend the rest of his days as a hollow shell." well fuck you shutter island, fuck you for wasting my sunday moring.

Therumancer:
-snip-

Also, I completely agree about that first scene. Also, the storm in the cemetery looked very fake to me.

Listened to you over Phillips and Scott and went and saw this: love the hell out of it! Most intense movie I've seen in ages!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here