Zero Punctuation: Dante's Inferno

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

like god of war (no "but")
i will remember that for years!

Oh dear; now my webcomic contest entry is unoriginal due to a throwaway gag in this episode. (Free hat to who can guess which one before I upload)

Posting just to help the viewer stats along, but worth it for that one line alone, beats the fuck outta me. Did anyone else see it?
Anyhu, I'm a Pc gamers that still believe RTS is a legitmate genre and only have one outdated hacky slashy game Devil my cry 4 (which will always look better on my pc than any console out there ptw) which got got at discount prices of course.

A1:

geldonyetich:
Maybe I would wait for God of War III if I wasn't already pretty bored of the Devil May Cry formula.

Developers are cutting mighty close to the quick here in terms of, "its time to stop milking that cash cow and do something original again." Ah, who I am kidding? Big game developers avoid doing that like it'll give them leprosy.

Regarding the humor of the review: a tad wank heavy, but what can I say? At this point, it seems Wednesdays shoddy incomplete works without a Yahtzee review, and this one was certainly up to snuff. A divine comedy about a God of War knockoff of the divine comedy.

I'm going to assume that you haven't seen the latest trailer for God of War III, because if you have then your first comment doesn't seem to reflect particularly well on you. I think it's safe to say that when God of War 3 is released most, if not all, of the people who are genuinely willing to give the game a chance (as opposed to you apparently) aren't going to be pointing at it and saying Devil May Cry. Especially not after the release of Devil May Cry 4. Please refer to Yahtzee's review of Devil May Cry 4 for a bit more on that point.

Me: This gameplay seems mighty derivative seeing how there's so many Devil May Cry/God Of War-like games these days.

You: OMG! GOW-III IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DEVIL MAY CRY! I'M GOING TO NAME MY FIRST BORN SON KRATOS AND CAST YOU DOWN INTO A PIT OF DESPAIR FOR DARING TO SLANDER THE GOD OF WAR NAME.

Me: ...

Nemu:
One can only hope that kids don't look at this game and think that it is on par with The Divine Comedy. 700 years later, that poem lives up to it's epicness and I'd hate to thik kids were (once again) misguided by mainstream media.

Yes. I wonder if, like's Dante's original, the Purgatory sequel will be superior to the first act. Dante III, though, will be an incredibly boring game:

"And here's ANOTHER choir of angels praising God's name. No, no slaughter, but you can hum a few bars of celestial harmony if you like..."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/9.176816

I get bonus points for talking about this before the video came out...

What do bonus points do again?

Just keeps getting better!

Cant wait to see what he makes of Hard Rain...

Liked the review. The religious jokes were funny and not trying to be preachy in the slightest. Overall sounds like an average game and not worth shelling out sixty bucks over. Also sounds like it could have been worth the money if they put the extra mile into the game's development. Rushing projects usually does not work.

Awesome vid. I assumed the game would be crap since EA marketed the hell out of it, and it seems to be true.

SamStar42:

Like my right hand on a sunday night - IT BEATS THE FUCK OUT OF ME made me laugh hard.

I lol'd almost til I exploded at that line, another gem :)

Nice episode. That "beats the fuck out of me" line was indeed genius.

Sounds like someone has a cold, though...

"history's first record of self-insert fanfiction"

My thoughts exactly.

Ya, pretty much what I got out of it. This was my first hack and slasher, so I had no point of reference. But it definately didn't feel like the best thing I've played.
Granted, it was still fun as hell once my brain got put back in and i started speccing scythe. I spent an hour doing the last challenge in fraud, and enjoyed every minute of it.
Now the six hours of Lucifer...that was a bit brain frying. But oooooh sooooo satisfying XD

edit: Also, the story was actually pretty damn good, and since I"m not a huge hack/slasher guy, that scored bigger points with me than it should've.

"So what the fuck does being tossed around by the wind have to do with Lust, Mr Alighieri"
I believe 'tossed' is the operative word in the sentence :D

And since this is probably the first and last time I will ever comment, I'm going to be incredibly presumtive and recommend a game to a game reviewer *shock/horror* Tear it apart if you must, but at least take a look. Machinarium

Kessira:
Machinarium

I tried it and loved it. Too bad I'm an unimportant nobody :)

Excellent episode, I loled quite hard.. time for a wank now..

So when exactly DID the gaming world decide there would be one game that was the staple of an entire genre whie all other games of that particular type are just trying to be major "rip offs" of it? I'm a bit over this attitude lately...

No not every hack 'n' slash is trying to be God of War.

No not every FPS is trying to be Halo.

No not every cover system thinks it's from Gears of War.

Seriously, God of War wasn't even the first of it's kind o_O

Anyway, I didn't enjoy this vid. I think Dante's Inferno could be the most underrated game to come out so far in 2010.

Oh yahtzee, how you amuse me so.

i always laugh. God bless you.

geldonyetich:

A1:

geldonyetich:
Maybe I would wait for God of War III if I wasn't already pretty bored of the Devil May Cry formula.

Developers are cutting mighty close to the quick here in terms of, "its time to stop milking that cash cow and do something original again." Ah, who I am kidding? Big game developers avoid doing that like it'll give them leprosy.

Regarding the humor of the review: a tad wank heavy, but what can I say? At this point, it seems Wednesdays shoddy incomplete works without a Yahtzee review, and this one was certainly up to snuff. A divine comedy about a God of War knockoff of the divine comedy.

I'm going to assume that you haven't seen the latest trailer for God of War III, because if you have then your first comment doesn't seem to reflect particularly well on you. I think it's safe to say that when God of War 3 is released most, if not all, of the people who are genuinely willing to give the game a chance (as opposed to you apparently) aren't going to be pointing at it and saying Devil May Cry. Especially not after the release of Devil May Cry 4. Please refer to Yahtzee's review of Devil May Cry 4 for a bit more on that point.

Me: This gameplay seems mighty derivative seeing how there's so many Devil May Cry/God Of War-like games these days.

You: OMG! GOW-III IS SO MUCH BETTER THAN DEVIL MAY CRY! I'M GOING TO NAME MY FIRST BORN SON KRATOS AND CAST YOU DOWN INTO A PIT OF DESPAIR FOR DARING TO SLANDER THE GOD OF WAR NAME.

Me: ...

As far as straw man tactics go I've seen a lot better than that. The two games may be of the same genre but the similarities pretty much end there for the most part. And let's not forget that story and characters are important parts to factor in too. And a key word here is "seems". It would be nice if you could reserve passing judgement until after the game has actually been released and has had a chance to prove it's worth to the gaming community.

wow my friend got this game and its been a blast. The levels are freaky and graphic and the game doesnt even try to skirt around anything mature it just shies a big beacon light on it. I have played GoW 1 and 2 and found this game to be at least as good if not better just because of the mature focus of the game. Is it perfect, no, there is No game that will ever be perfect. Is it fun yes. Also this game had a decent story that was followable unlike Bayonetta which was a story thrown into a blender then thrown across the room. Will GoW 3 be better, most likely they have already had 2 games to build off of, but the story and art of the game gives it playability all of its own. But if you can't handle an actual Mature contented game GoW 3 will be out soon for your sensitive eyes.

Oh don't be so coy, Yahtzee. We all know you enjoyed this game for the sheer pleasure of getting off on carnage and destruction just like the rest of us.

Brotherofwill:
I can't recall a single positive thing he said about it, it was about as negative as they get.

Oh, it was rife with negativity, but for some reason, it felt like they were all small complaints, or like the filler (mostly wank jokes) somehow made them less severe...compare with Borderlands, which I think was *much* worse.

Ben, why does it sound, at 2:45, that you are about to burst into tears?

Oh man, I spent a billion hours playing False Prophet. Swore I was the only one who ever played it. Impressive.

I so hope he will review Heavy Rain next.

You hear me Ben? Go play Heavy Rain...and I dare you not to like it...

Was it just me or did he seem to have a bit of a dry throat?

I'm just curious as to why, since he mentioned his fuzzy bum, Yahtzee didn't comment at all about Lucifer's ridiculous bait and tackle flopping across the screen during the entirety of the second phase.

Contrappasso to Lust: people who abandoned themselves to their overwhelming feelings while alive, letting themselves be carried, are now forced to be overwhelmed by a stormy wind (with painful, rock-slamming epilogues at times).
Enough of an explanation, Mr. Croshaw? :)
Time to find another hobby to your saturday evenings, if you don't like windy places..

Devil May Cry was first (2001) and God of War came out second(2005) so I'm sorry GOW copied DMC[/quote]

DMC and GoW are very different games and have very different styles. I am a little annoyed with how people keep lumping the two together. DMC had the ability to switch between main melee weapon and gun in a combo, where GoW had one main weapon and you switched as needed.

But mostly DMC was about style and combos, GoW was about the raw brutality. I have played both and if you want to say one is like the other, you may as well lump every blody action game where you gain exp together.

A1:
As far as straw man tactics go I've seen a lot better than that.

That's not a straw man tactic. It's an overenthusiastic expression of exasperation that you misinterpreted my message.

Which failed.

Granted, this shouldn't surprise me. As as been my experience of forums, if someone didn't bother to read and understand what I wrote the first time, they won't the second or subsequent times either.

The two games may be of the same genre but the similarities pretty much end there for the most part. And let's not forget that story and characters are important parts to factor in too. And a key word here is "seems". It would be nice if you could reserve passing judgement until after the game has actually been released and has had a chance to prove it's worth to the gaming community.

To clarify, the reason I mentioned Devil May Cry isn't because the game is better or worse than God Of War but rather because Devil May Cry did the genre first. [Edit: Lest we run into anybody else as thick as Shadow Skill, don't take the word "genre" as implying "Action" or "Beat'Em'Ups" or "Fighting" or any silly word someone tasked with categorizing games might have put under the word "genre." Instead, think of it as something much more specific to the God of War/Devil May Cry experience.]

Again, that you chose to interpret this as me judging anything is wrong. I'm guessing you're chomping at the bit to get back into some long gone Devil May Cry vrs God Of War thread. I've some bad news there:

[Jedi Wave] this is not the Devil May Cry vs God Of War post you are looking for.

The summary at the end was funneh!

ewhac:
I rather liked the throwaway tableau he drew at the beginning with Abraham about to spike Isaac, with $(GOD) floating in at the last minute saying, "Just kidding."

My sweetie, who is a religious studies major, has corrected me on this point. If you're Judeo-Christian, it's Isaac on the slab. If you're Islamic, it's Ishmael.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here