The Escapist Presents: Game Dogs: Behind the Scenes

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Game Dogs: Behind the Scenes

Meet the people behind the show and see how it's made.

Watch Video

Spoilers...

Interesting... Keep up the good work guys. My suggestion would be work on those jokes too.

"We're very serious, and very professional"

Somehow, I doubt that.

Anyway, I've directed my spite towards this show enough so you know what I'll say anyway. Still, it's nice to see what makes a show, no matter how terrible it is.

And it is terrible.

Imper1um:
snip

Also, this person provides sound advice, Mr.Pitts. I'd take it handy for when you start production on the next batch of episodes. I'd recommend you read mine as well. It's not as professional as this gentleman or womans, but you'd do well to pick up every piece of constructive criticism you can if you want this shows success to live up to your expectations.

Interesting. It's amazing just how much work goes into a short animated series. I can imagine it being annoying at the least if people don't like it then. The jokes aren't that horrible, it's just that they aren't rofl-jokes, more chuckle-jokes.

Also, I can explain what a furry is. Mickey Mouse is a furry. Donald Duck is a furry. Heck, there are so many commercial furries I start to wonder why people are so afraid of them.

I can't believe I just sat and watched that. It was so boring, and I don't even like the show. Gah. It's not even like I don't have anything else to do.

Spoilers much?

Still, nicely done.

Also, Axel Roma?
Hmm...

Might he be in charge of Guitar Hero, perhaps?

So... I'm sure this has been asked somewhere.

Why anthropomorphic dogs? What was the reasoning behind using dogs instead of people?

Also, if I had any animation or art critique to give, it would be that their eyes should show more emotion. They really don't... move much. They need to pop out more. Also, give the boss dog a couple of different animations for his tie. Let it droop when it needs to.

I love seeing the cast, this was the most fun episode for me.
I'm always interested in learning more about the teams behind escapist shows.

I loved how Russ parodied the animation at the end of the credits, funny.

Parody works best if you know who it's a parody of, : /

Actually I think I finally got an answer as to what a Furry is:

Anthropomorphic talking animal on TV/Film/DVD = Not furry

Anthropomorphic talking animal on Internet/Web Series = Furry

My only question now is what happens if you take a show that was originally TV/Film and watch it on the web/internet? What if it was a internet originated animation and I show it on TV? *GASP!!*

I will have to run some tests, develop theories, speak with a scientician, somehow involve quantum mechanics, and report back the results. Watch future episodes of Game Dogs for the answers!

:)

Always nice to see behind the scenes =D

Thanks!

Don't really know very many famous game developers, but Sir Dick the Duke is totally Richard Garriot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry

Read it.

Furry fandom (also known as furrydom, fur fandom or furdom) refers to the fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics. Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, the ability to speak, walk on two legs, and wear clothes. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of artists, writers, role players and general fans of the furry art forms who gather on the Internet and at conventions.

So if you read or create anthropomorphic animals with human attributes, wearing clothes and walking on two legs...

No, stop bringing up Looney Tunes. Not anthropomorphic. It's a personification. You might as well claim that "Little Red Hood" is a furry novel too. Three Little Bears and Goldeylocks. Shrek too.

Also, this reminds me a LOT of Duke Nukem Forever - tons of work put into something by "professionals"... and it doesn't really show. What, 3 or 4 people working on the graphics and animation and it looks about, more or less, a 10-year old Java animation? How many people work on steali... I mean, making jokes?

Alright, this is cool and all, but I really need to give my two cents on this.

- Please stop posting "behind the scenes" videos. I know you want to look professional, but these things are made for people who are actually interested at what goes on. This gives two outside appearances on this show when you do it:
1. You're pleading people to like it and watch.
2. You're revealing exactly how much work you're putting into a piece that at least 50% of the outspoken community has told you it needs improvement. This is just further pissing people off that you are spending time on a show which people only watch to give you pointers, rather than be entertained.

- For the animator:
1. All living creatures with mouths pivot on a jaw point. Instead of using an elevator effect on the mouth, PIVOT on the jaw. You'll thank me.
2. Make the eyes blink every 0.5-3.0 seconds. Ugh, we're not in a staring contest.
3. When smiling, extend the mouth, and pull the line down when someone is giving a glare.

- For the artist:
1. Please make different eyes for the different emotions. Dogs are incapable of showing emotion, but you can get away with it by looking at the 'South Park' way of animating eyes. Putting a curved line on the outside side of either eye shows surprise.
2. The arms look so stubby. I understand you're copying a dog, but you're making a show that gives personification to dogs, since they are standing upright, make sure you maintain proportions.

- For the recording artist:
1. GET AUDACITY. Seriously. Before every session, take 5 seconds of straight up silence. Why? Audacity has this amazing feature that removes background noise beautifully over voice. Damn, this is something I learned in 10th grade about how background noise f's stuff up and people notice, especially me. It's giving me a migraine.
2. Put a spit filter over the mic. I saw the picture of your setup and I was almost pulling out my hair going: NO NO NO NO. You are going to peak during people's P's every time, and during everyone's start. If you can't get a spit filter, just move the microphone to the side and don't speak directly into it.
3. Normalize your audio. Audacity has a really nice normalizer. Use it.

- For the writer:
1. Alright, Russ, I understand how you are going with a Parody to your own office, why aren't you running with it? That would be quite funny, if that is what you did, but you didn't do that. You made something up and took one part of your office issue and put it in the show. whoop de fricken do
2. Stick with one type of comedy. Watch some Robin Williams, Jim Carrey, SNL, Last Comic Standing, etc. Every funny comic you have will note that they follow the same style of comedy. You probably can look up on YouTube some fail comics and notice one general issue: They go from one type of comedy to another.

Seriously, stop producing them and step back, take a break. No one will blame you, I guarantee it. You need to get your heads on straight before you produce another episode.

Abedeus:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Furry

Read it.

Furry fandom (also known as furrydom, fur fandom or furdom) refers to the fandom for fictional anthropomorphic animal characters with human personalities and characteristics. Examples of anthropomorphic attributes include exhibiting human intelligence and facial expressions, the ability to speak, walk on two legs, and wear clothes. Furry fandom is also used to refer to the community of artists, writers, role players and general fans of the furry art forms who gather on the Internet and at conventions.

So if you read or create anthropomorphic animals with human attributes, wearing clothes and walking on two legs...

No, stop bringing up Looney Tunes. Not anthropomorphic. It's a personification. You might as well claim that "Little Red Hood" is a furry novel too. Three Little Bears and Goldeylocks. Shrek too.

/sigh

ANTHROPOMORPHIC- it does not mean what you think it means. Looney Toons characters, (like Bugs), would be Anthropomorphic because they have human characteristics. That's all that means. Look back on some fairy tales and you'll get something like, 'the dish ran away with the spoon'. If that story has a picture of a dish and a spoon with eyes and a mouth and with arms and legs running away, they would also be anthropomorphic. It does not matter the object, if it has any human characteristics it is anthro. Simple.

Now we come into the subject of Furries, which is not as simple. Furries are people, (people mind you), who like anthro animals. Furry art depicts anthro animals, but not all anthro animals are a part of furrydom. The Furries are a community of sorts, and the art they make are for themselves, ie other Furries. It's the artist and intended audience that makes the anthro art cross over into furry art.

So Game Dogs? Not Furries. Not made by Furries, not made for Furries. This would sorta follow the 'art is what the artist says is art' line of logic.

EDIT: Also, the term furry is used as an insult on the interwebs. It doesn't matter, if you draw an animal on two legs or with clothes it will be called a furry by someone. Artist haaaaate it when people call their stuff 'furry' when that wasn't their intention. This isn't a 'call it like I see it' sort of thing, though the unedumacated think it is. If you go on dA you will find some articles on the subject if you are interested.

And no, I'm not a furry. I've just been on art sites way too long.

Furrama:
snip

Now we come into the subject of Furries, which is not as simple. Furries are people, (people mind you), who like anthro animals. Furry art depicts anthro animals, but not all anthro animals are a part of furrydom. The Furries are a community of sorts, and the art they make are for themselves, ie other Furries. It's the artist and intended audience that makes the anthro art cross over into furry art.

So Game Dogs? Not Furries. Not made by Furries, not made for Furries. This would sorta follow the 'art is what the artist says is art' line of logic.

Well, I noticed a tendency - most of the people saying that the show is good either have some sort of furry or an animal-esque avatar and sometimes they even put it in their profile description. So they can be considered the target audience... although I'm not sure WHO is this target audience of the show. Gamers? Lame jokes. Dog lovers... people who like dogs? Too human. Fans of art? Yeaaah...

EDIT: Also, the term furry is used as an insult on the interwebs. It doesn't matter, if you draw an animal on two legs or with clothes it will be called a furry by someone. Artist haaaaate it when people call their stuff 'furry' when that wasn't their intention. This isn't a 'call it like I see it' sort of thing, though the unedumacated think it is. If you go on dA you will find some articles on the subject if you are interested.

No thanks, I'd rather not get into dA too much, as it's pretty much the biggest source of furry pictures and, let's be frank, bastardizations of popular characters/movies/whatever. Animals or not.

Abedeus:

No thanks, I'd rather not get into dA too much, as it's pretty much the biggest source of furry pictures and, let's be frank, bastardizations of popular characters/movies/whatever. Animals or not.

well, you have not reached far into the debts of the internet, have you?
There are far bigger art sites for furry art and rule 34 ;)

Abedeus:

Furrama:
snip

Well, I noticed a tendency - most of the people saying that the show is good either have some sort of furry or an animal-esque avatar and sometimes they even put it in their profile description. So they can be considered the target audience... although I'm not sure WHO is this target audience of the show. Gamers? Lame jokes. Dog lovers... people who like dogs? Too human. Fans of art? Yeaaah...

No, you're thinking of FURAFFINITY. dA has lots of things. Like robots. And ninjas. And robot ninjas.

And I drew that monkey avatar. So... monkeys. And I never said I liked the show. I wish they had used people, I can't find a reason for dogs to make sense in this particular genre.

So... disapproving llama Abedeus!

That was more interesting than the actual episodes of the series thus far. I agree with you that this series could be great, but so far it is not. I think it is just that the characters are not relatable. Have you ever met anybody in the game industry that lacked an idea for a game?

If you stick a designer, a programmer, and an artist in a room and tell them you will pay them to make a game in 3 months. You are not going to get a situation where they lack for ideas. Depending on their personalities they will either come up with a unified game concept or tear each other apart trying to get the other people to help them make their concept.

ProTip: Less time telling us how you make and more time actually making it.

The jokes need some serious work and by work I mean the way of ol'yella! Put bluntly, this shwo isnt funny at all, its just tired jokes about tired cliches which comes off as lazy, poorly written and rushed.

jeez harshness______^ there

but ya i wouldn't mind if this show took 2 weeks to come out if it meant the scripts could be better with more K.O. jokes that get me ROFL all the way to ROFLMAO. but i think people are jumping the gun. nearly every show on the escapist, at least the story based ones, had random episodes before the main plot started unfolding. UR, Apoc. Lane, Doomsday Arcade they all had bumps on their now glorious roads. i can't wait for this show to start shining because i think it will get better... which is weird cause I'm a huge pessimist.

Wow, you put that much work into something that bad?

awesome behind scenes show

I just hope the voice acting and animations do get better

Alex Roma reminds me of Cliffy B. from Epic games which is a good hing because Alex Roma looks like a awesome character

Lamech777:
Interesting how the girls were some what decent looking, I expected them to look as bad as the show is.

I understand that it might be difficult to cobble together some kind of social grace while imprisoned in whatever dark, dank, sweat-stained dungeon you call 'home'. I get that you might think that this is something appropriate to say over The Internet, where you can be as inflammatory as you want, with little chance of punishment or rebuke. I can even see why you might, in some twisted, base way think that someone else of your mental and ethical caliber might even be amused by this.

But I guaran-fucking-tee you I am not.

They really think that Game Dogs is so great they think they have to make a behind the scenes thing every couple videos?
Hell Unforgotten Realms as better than this crap.

Here's what they should do.
Take the money and effort they put into this and either buy some hookers, or hire someone to make video supplements to anime reviews.
Guarantee then they would increase people paying attention to the anime reviews (yes they have anime reviews) since they wouldn't have to search for them, the video would just show up in new videos.

Oh and inb4ihateanime

you seemed to stress the difficulties of the animation proses, but others shows like Unforgotten realms and apocalypse lane have the same kind of animation but are much better shows because they're well written.

A challenge aye? Well I'm guessing that Sir Dick the Duke is most likely Peter Megaz...I mean Moleyneux. I'm pretty sure the crew questioning furries is all sarcasm so everyone just relax about that and stop with the posting of definitions and versions no matter how clever they may be, please and thank you.

I've loved this show since it's beginning and always find myself to be quoting, "Are you insane?!", at the end of the theme song.

I don't know why but I think this show has gotten more hate than it deserves. It ain't the best but it certainly ain't the worst.

Landslide:

Lamech777:
Interesting how the girls were some what decent looking, I expected them to look as bad as the show is.

I understand that it might be difficult to cobble together some kind of social grace while imprisoned in whatever dark, dank, sweat-stained dungeon you call 'home'. I get that you might think that this is something appropriate to say over The Internet, where you can be as inflammatory as you want, with little chance of punishment or rebuke. I can even see why you might, in some twisted, base way think that someone else of your mental and ethical caliber might even be amused by this.

But I guaran-fucking-tee you I am not.

Well I will admit this brought a grin to my face.

addeB:
Parody works best if you know who it's a parody of, : /

I agree... If it's a parody of the Escapist's office, it's a little too much of an inside joke to be very accessible to an outside audience.

Why not make it so every second week is gamerdogs and every other week is Doralus, that way you get two weeks with each.

Ugh, so one week of horribleness every other week? No, they just need to take a break for...8+ Weeks to decide if it's really worth it. I think one of their biggest things is they are laughing at it, but no one else understands it. Heck, I work in a development environment and I'm watching it straight faced.

And POW about 20 posts in the furry discussion starts. I don't watch the show because it's not my cup of tea but I can't wait until it comes out every week so I can watch people argue about it.

I found the making of pretty interesting but not entertaining. It served as a showreel for the show and I'm always amazed at the things people produce with the facilities they have. (chroma key, etc.) I think the reason I don't like Gamedogs is not that they are all dogs but more why is it not live action. It's set in an office with people just talking. I'd much prefer a badly acted live version than a cartoon as visually interesting as 60's Spider-Man. So unless they start going into computers to have adventures re-boot style I'm not biting.

Also pop shields cost like 10-20 bux: http://www.amazon.com/Nady-MPF-6-6-Inch-Clamp-Microphone/dp/B0002CZW0Y/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=musical-instruments&qid=1267018854&sr=8-2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here