Preview: StarCraft II

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Preview: StarCraft II

StarCraft II really does feel like the game we've been waiting for.

Read Full Article

Ohhhhh!!! Yayness!

Eh. Seriously, if Starcraft 1 is the best the genre has to offer, then I don't care for that genre.

But holy shit does that game look pretty.

So... you didn't get to see the singleplayer? Disappointing - I'm not really interested in the multiplayer aspect of most RTS's because I'm basically not very good at them, but I liked Starcraft 1 for having a good story mixed in with the RTS battles.

Makes me want to play it more than I already do -_- but I agree it's hard to class this game as a BETA considering the polish presented, and the 5 year (more?) development period. They could release it now and it would still have more than most BETA releases from the past couple of quarters.

And if you haven't already look at the Demo of the World Editor... can't wait to play the custom maps as well.

Well, we wanted a remake, and we got it. Now... beta keys are needed for...sampling.*smiles*

Doug:
So... you didn't get to see the singleplayer? Disappointing - I'm not really interested in the multiplayer aspect of most RTS's because I'm basically not very good at them, but I liked Starcraft 1 for having a good story mixed in with the RTS battles.

They're keeping the singleplayer very close to their chests until the game comes out.

I really really hope this game is worth it. From the sounds of it so far, it sounds like Starcraft Two is what we SC fans were waiting for. We *raises mug of Root Beer* here's to what we can only hope will be a game that lives up to expectations.

I tried to get into the first Starcraft, but it just seemed so slow-paced and bland. I played for a couple of hours, and never did it seem like actual fun. Which is a shame, because I've always had a certain fascination with RTS's, just that I haven't found one to entertain me enough.

Well, you know what they say...

ZERGLING RUSH AWAY!!

John Funk:

Doug:

They're keeping the singleplayer very close to their chests until the game comes out.

Righto - I'll have to look and see for the review when it comes out :D - though did Blizzard go ahead with the plan to split the singleplayer plot into 3 parts, only 1 of which comes with the game? i.e. the rest are downloadable content..?

I heard talk of that awhile go (a year, I think) - just wanna see if it was troll talk or real.

I feel an overwhelming urge to construct additional pylons.

Man I wish I got in the beta.

Doug:

John Funk:

Doug:

Righto - I'll have to look and see for the review when it comes out :D - though did Blizzard go ahead with the plan to split the singleplayer plot into 3 parts, only 1 of which comes with the game? i.e. the rest are downloadable content..?

I heard talk of that awhile go (a year, I think) - just wanna see if it was troll talk or real.

There will be one game and two expansions. The first game, Wings of Liberty, is going to have the Terran campaign (30 missions, aka three times the size of the Terran campaign in the first game and the size of StarCraft I overall). The first expansion will have the Zerg campaign (again, 30-some-odd missions) and the second expansion will have the Protoss campaign (30-some-odd missions).

Honestly, having spoken to members of the team, I've really come away with the idea that the trilogy was the best way to go in order to do everything they wanted to do while still letting us, y'know, play the game before 2014.

I think....I'm going to cry :').

John Funk:

Doug:

John Funk:

Doug:

There will be one game and two expansions. The first game, Wings of Liberty, is going to have the Terran campaign (30 missions, aka three times the size of the Terran campaign in the first game and the size of StarCraft I overall). The first expansion will have the Zerg campaign (again, 30-some-odd missions) and the second expansion will have the Protoss campaign (30-some-odd missions).

Honestly, having spoken to members of the team, I've really come away with the idea that the trilogy was the best way to go in order to do everything they wanted to do while still letting us, y'know, play the game before 2014.

Ah, excellent - that sounds fair enough if we're getting a proper sized story campaign. Looking forward to SCII now!

EDIT: Proper sized with the game itself, I mean. I'm personally not opposed to the idea of multiple campaigns being sold, just opposed if that meant the game would come with a campaign purposefully short ot many you folk out for a good game overall.

I think opinions are clouded as many have been waiting so long they convinced themselves it will be so great. Ask a non-fan of the company to review it and see what they think.

tehroc:
I think opinions are clouded as many have been waiting so long they convinced themselves it will be so great. Ask a non-fan of the company to review it and see what they think.

Sorry, you're wrong.

There are four of us in the beta. Only two played the original SC1 at any length. All four of us are having an absolute blast.

Hell, I was initially skeptical when I played it at PAX '08, but the game has come miles and miles since then. I had significant doubts, but Blizzard really knocked it out of the park on this one, I feel.

Doug:

No, they kind of went overboard with creating a campaign and realized that there's no way they could get it all finished on time so they postponed a big chunk to future expansion packs(the predecessors to dlc that are actually worth their money) or be patched it when it's available like they did with the Rexxar campaign in WC3 TFT.

Any news on what the South Korean elite think of it so far?

John Funk:

tehroc:

Sorry, you're wrong.

There are four of us in the beta. Only two played the original SC1 at any length. All four of us are having an absolute blast.

Hell, I was initially skeptical when I played it at PAX '08, but the game has come miles and miles since then. I had significant doubts, but Blizzard really knocked it out of the park on this one, I feel.

I really don't think there's a thing you could say that will convince people it's a non-biased review. People either love blizzard games, or do everything they can to knock them. This looks like one of those unfortunate circumstances that you just had to reply to.

Having played the beta myself, I'm glad to see that, while you do refer to it as the old game constantly, you at the same time acknowledge that this isn't just a polished up version of the original. I've found enough innovation, even if it's the small aspects of the maps like the places you can hide, to the new unit functions, it feels like a true sequel in my eyes. Cannot wait to get my hands on the single player.

It looks like everything it should be. People will still raise hell once it hits, because expectations are too high.

Except for Korea. They'll have to raise wages to get people to work again over there.

Peace Frog:
Any news on what the South Korean elite think of it so far?

I imagine it's kind of like the Second Coming for them.

I loved the Preview though. "Carriers have arrived" indeed!

WC3 was suppose to be what we were waiting for and it disappointed SP fans due to the last luster AI...and since AI is not mentioned in this preview I bet the AI is jsut as bad as WC3..... *sigh* I si wish half assed games stopped doing so well....

Onyx Oblivion:
Eh. Seriously, if Starcraft 1 is the best the genre has to offer, then I don't care for that genre.

This. Looks to be a re-skinned version of the original, which is great if you liked the first one... However, those of us that like the improvements made to the genre over the last 12 years are going to have to give this one a pass. Seriously? Your air units have to stop to fire? WTF is the point??? I will take my TA/SupCom any day thanks!

Sooo, this game is just a WC3 adaptation of Starcraft? That's really lame, I kind of expected a little more from blizzard... Oh well, at least I have Diablo 3... Oh wait, they probably won't realese it until 2020 or something... *Sigh* Stupid blizzard, I won't buy Starcraft...

ZippyDSMlee:
WC3 was suppose to be what we were waiting for and it disappointed SP fans due to the last luster AI...and since AI is not mentioned in this preview I bet the AI is jsut as bad as WC3..... *sigh* I si wish half assed games stopped doing so well....

The only AI in the game at the moment is Very Easy. There *isn't* any singleplayer right now. That's why it wasn't mentioned.

uppitycracker:

Having played the beta myself, I'm glad to see that, while you do refer to it as the old game constantly, you at the same time acknowledge that this isn't just a polished up version of the original. I've found enough innovation, even if it's the small aspects of the maps like the places you can hide, to the new unit functions, it feels like a true sequel in my eyes. Cannot wait to get my hands on the single player.

Oh, totally. I'm still learning how to take advantage of the whole line of sight things like trees and the steam vents and stuff.

Jebusetti:

Onyx Oblivion:

This. Looks to be a re-skinned version of the original, which is great if you liked the first one... However, those of us that like the improvements made to the genre over the last 12 years are going to have to give this one a pass. Seriously? Your air units have to stop to fire? WTF is the point??? I will take my TA/SupCom any day thanks!

Balance, playability, and precision, mostly. Not every RTS needs every feature.

Hvati:
Sooo, this game is just a slightly revamped Star craft 1 with better graphics and slight alterations and new stuff... that's REALLY lame, I know I won't buy it.

It's very difficult to show in video or even communicate in text, but StarCraft 2 i... it's simultaneously "StarCraft, but not StarCraft." It feels just like picking up the first game, but different at the same time. All the new units, all the new strategies and abilities, they really change how you approach the game.

Honestly, I was incredibly skeptical until I got the chance to play it at length.

Doesn't matter if it's a new Mona Lisa. I won't be buying it until they remove the DRM and restore the LAN.

The_root_of_all_evil:
Doesn't matter if it's a new Mona Lisa. I won't be buying it until they remove the DRM and restore the LAN.

Okay, that's just childish.

HellbirdIV:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Nope, exercising my rights as a consumer to protest against a direction I don't like.

The_root_of_all_evil:

HellbirdIV:

The_root_of_all_evil:

Nope, exercising my rights as a consumer to protest against a direction I don't like.

I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response from you? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.

Slycne:

The_root_of_all_evil:

HellbirdIV:

The_root_of_all_evil:

I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.

Because Valve can do no wrong, man. Valve can do no wrong.

John Funk:

ZippyDSMlee:

The only AI in the game at the moment is Very Easy. There *isn't* any singleplayer right now. That's why it wasn't mentioned.

Ah ok...sorry I am a bit of the old curmudgeon(only a few things put a tree up my butt and games not being finished or polished is just something I can not take much of anymore), next review on the finished project whoever dose it focus a bit of the review on the AI....its nice it looks good its nice they implemented more lil field tactics and layers that all good but without solid AI its just another project that spent to much time and effort on everything but finishing the game.....

John Funk:

Slycne:

The_root_of_all_evil:

HellbirdIV:

The_root_of_all_evil:

I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.

Because Valve can do no wrong, man. Valve can do no wrong.

I dunno...HL2 was a bit bland and empty...weapons could have been better balanced...there could have been a bit more to the single player game. Tho over all its not back tracking much on HL1 but I was hoping for a bit more....

And for the record I boycott steam I wont have anything to do with it if I buy a game that has steam on it I make sure there is a un steamed version to put in the case with the retail disc...

Tonimata:
Well, you know what they say...

ZERGLING RUSH AWAY!!

you mean roach rush?

Actually, your units can fire while moving (see the Terran bikes, the Protoss stalkers, and the Mothership (oh lord, the mothership is impressive)) and are balanced around this (go watch the gameplay videos for the Terran and Protoss). There are new features that add more depth to the maps which will be fascinating to see play out.

Slycne:

I'm not saying you are wrong and you should certainly vote with your money, but how come Steam doesn't garner the same response from you? That's what Blizzard has made though, a system where you loose some rights for other services.

Who says it doesn't? What Steam doesn't do is: slow my games down, limit my installs, limit my use of mods, force me to use one d/l system, and snoop without my permission.
What it does do is give me instant messaging that I can turn off, a robust package and reasonable prices some of the time. It also support independent developers and talks to its community.

That counts for a lot, and while I understand that companies have all gone down the DRM route, there are fair trade-offs and unfair trade-offs. I won't buy from those I believe have made unfair trade-offs.

Steam also crashes occasionally, have a support staff where sarcasm is an inbred trait and hides too many options away; but if I have to have a DRM, it's the one I'll put up with.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here