Review: Shiren the Wanderer

Review: Shiren the Wanderer

Despite being rather mediocre, Shiren the Wanderer is still an addictive dungeon-crawler.

Read Full Article

As a fan of dungeon crawlers, that sounds right up my alley. I'll look it up, thanks.

Never heard of this :O

Glad you put a review up! Wanna play this now!

Shiren games are a boon to fans of the Rogue-like genre. I haven't played this latest installment, but if it's anything like its predecessors I'll be giving it a go.

Ouch, that was kind of an indictment of the game. And if you die your inventory goes poof? Yeah, that's a negatory good buddy.

Making a game difficult for the sake of it being difficult is not endearing and is downright frustrating.

JaredXE:
Ouch, that was kind of an indictment of the game. And if you die your inventory goes poof? Yeah, that's a negatory good buddy.

Making a game difficult for the sake of it being difficult is not endearing and is downright frustrating.

It's an established type of rpg called a roguelike going back billions of years. I actually really enjoy them and wish this one was on pretty well anything but the wii.

I loved the Shiren that came out for the DS a couple years back. Actually, the DS is fucking LOADED with brutal old school rpgs. Goddamnit I love that little system.

JaredXE:

Some people enjoy sadomasochism. Therefore, they will want this game. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean somebody else in the world doesn't enjoy it. That said, as much as I love Atlus I am not a big fan of roguelikes either. The lack of good story is the biggest turn-off for me.

JaredXE:

I take it you've never played Diablo, as that's how it works in Shiren (you even have a storage area in town you can stow items you're not using to save for later, or to use if you're killed).

Count_ZeroOR:

JaredXE:

I take it you've never played Diablo, as that's how it works in Shiren (you even have a storage area in town you can stow items you're not using to save for later, or to use if you're killed).

And if you just don't want the hassle, play on Easy. The only difference is that you get to keep you items when you die.

So, this got a 3 because it's rouge-like?

thatlaurachick:
So, this got a 3 because it's rouge-like?

That's not too surprising. 1up.com's RPG Podcast, Active Time Babble did an episode recently about Roguelikes, and they've never really been commercially successful in the US in any form (with the sole exception of stuff like Diablo and Torchlight).

That in turn explains why Atlus tried to distance themselves from the Roguelike genre in their promotion of the game. However, judging by reviews like this one, I'd guess it's safe to say that the marketing strategy backfired, at least a little.

Count_ZeroOR:

[snip] That in turn explains why Atlus tried to distance themselves from the Roguelike genre in their promotion of the game. However, judging by reviews like this one, I'd guess it's safe to say that the marketing strategy backfired, at least a little.

Yeah, I heard that podcast too. I don't think the marketing backfired, at least for me. If the ads touted Shiren as a dungeon crawler or a rouge-like I would never have become interested. The art got my attention, and I'm still interested in playing though I'd never touch Diablo. Atlus just made another sale at full price. :)

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here