Going Gold: Why You Need to Buy Heavy Rain

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

story is very important to me. however, gameplay is equally important. heavy rain is just 5 hours of "press X to not die," and that doesn't work for me. plus, I don't think things like taking a piss helps immersion. I'll just be like "holy crap I'm bored right now I should turn off the game and interact with real people"

blindthrall:
I don't mind a game were the gameplay is so bad it's practically an interactive novel. I think Planescape had the best story I've ever seen in a game, but it's fighting sucked ass.

I don't think you can call the gameplay "bad" simply because it doesn't conform to pre-conceptualized standards. Halo is considered to be a very good game, yet I've played other very bad first person shooters who have ripped off Halo's control scheme and gameplay motif note for note. I believe the developers have succeeded in what they set out to do with Heavy Rain's style of play. They wanted deliberately paced yet seemingly organic conversation and clue gathering sections framed by pulse-pounding scripted action events dictated by contextualized quick time button presses. There are about a four dozen ways this model could have gone sour very quickly, namely with the quicktime events (which I usually loathe). The fact that they managed to keep these mechanics fresh and engaging throughout speaks volumes.

So, considering what they set out to accomplish, I believe the "gameplay" is in fact rather good. I see this as a success.

blindthrall:
This game just sounds too mundane. It sounds like all those things we play games to get away from, but it's a fantasy were you control the outcome of those events.

This game only BEGINS in the mundane, and quite purposefully. I doubt once players find themselves being toyed with by a serial killer, receiving impossible, life threatening tasks ala SAW and desperately trying to piece together the puzzles of the mystery while racing against a very real and ever-present clock will they view the action as mundane.

Anyone judging Heavy Rain on hearsay should reserve their opinion until actually playing it themselves. I can already see this game is receiving a lot of negative bias due to some of the play choices the developers made. I feel that Yahtzee's personal opinions on that certain isolated gameplay mechanic and the "me too-ism" of some of his fans may tint Heavy Rain in the wrong light.

silversun101:

blindthrall:
I don't mind a game were the gameplay is so bad it's practically an interactive novel. I think Planescape had the best story I've ever seen in a game, but it's fighting sucked ass.

I don't think you can call the gameplay "bad" simply because it doesn't conform to pre-conceptualized standards. Halo is considered to be a very good game, yet I've played other very bad first person shooters who have ripped off Halo's control scheme and gameplay motif note for note. I believe the developers have succeeded in what they set out to do with Heavy Rain's style of play. They wanted deliberately paced yet seemingly organic conversation and clue gathering sections framed by pulse-pounding scripted action events dictated by contextualized quick time button presses. There are about a four dozen ways this model could have gone sour very quickly, namely with the quicktime events (which I usually loathe). The fact that they managed to keep these mechanics fresh and engaging throughout speaks volumes.

So, considering what they set out to accomplish, I believe the "gameplay" is in fact rather good. I see this as a success.

blindthrall:
This game just sounds too mundane. It sounds like all those things we play games to get away from, but it's a fantasy were you control the outcome of those events.

This game only BEGINS in the mundane, and quite purposefully. I doubt once players find themselves being toyed with by a serial killer, receiving impossible, life threatening tasks ala SAW and desperately trying to piece together the puzzles of the mystery while racing against a very real and ever-present clock will they view the action as mundane.

Anyone judging Heavy Rain on hearsay should reserve their opinion until actually playing it themselves. I can already see this game is receiving a lot of negative bias due to some of the play choices the developers made. I feel that Yahtzee's personal opinions on that certain isolated gameplay mechanic and the "me too-ism" of some of his fans may tint Heavy Rain in the wrong light.

If you like it, more power to you, but from everything you just said, I'm steering the hell away from it. A SAW-like puzzle game could be interesting, but it's not for me. Are there sections where you don't know who the killer is, and you end up killing an innocent person because the killer set them up? Because if I were playing a situation like that, I would just save and shoot everyone until I figured out which one was the killer, then reload(although if the killer's identity were randomized, I guess the joke would be on me). In any game, you have to take into account that the player can basically invoke Groundhog Day pretty much on command.

Therumancer:
I honestly never really got into the whole idea of the "interactive movie" even when it first appeared. I do not consider it any kind of "evolution" of gaming as much as a step backwards for people who can't really play games. A sort of big budget version of a "casual" game so to speak.

"Casual games" have been getting a bad rap, and while as a member of the "hard-core" it pains me to see 10 year olds complaining that they gave up on Super Mario Galaxy b/c it was "too hard" (and it is not, that game is a cakewalk compared to the evil, unforgiving shit I grew up playing), just because a game is labeled "casual" does not mean it automatically sucks. There is a lot of animosity towards the general non-gamer crowd the Wii seems to cater to. I am guilty in sharing in that attitude. I feel this is mostly the developers' faults, seeing the Wii as a children's toy and not taking it or its consumers seriously. However, there is another side to that coin.

I have a friend, for the sake of her privacy lets call her "Jane". Jane is terrible at video games. She is legitimately interested in them, and is drawn to the top-notch, AAA titles. However, there is a wall separating her from being able to fully enjoy these games. Namely that most of the games a hard-core would consider "worth playing" have a learning curb that is honestly terrifying to people who have never even held a controller before. I never realized what keenly developed eye-hand coordination I had until Jane tried to play Bioshock, a game she was absolutely fascinated in yet ultimately defeated by. She finally relented and handed the controller to me. She still enjoyed watching the story unfold, but there is a keen difference in watching someone experience something and experiencing that thing yourself.

In this regard, Heavy Rain may be the godsend of casual games. Compared to other AAA titles, the controls are rather simplistic and easy to pick up, yet higher difficulties still offer a surprising challenge to those who seek it. With a bit of trial and error, Jane found Heavy Rain to be a natural fit. We were both elated. Here was a game that fulfilled that mature depth she was craving while still being completely accessible to someone who has never played a video game before. I bet money my grandmother could play this game.

And that is fantastic.

blindthrall:
[Are there sections where you don't know who the killer is, and you end up killing an innocent person because the killer set them up? Because if I were playing a situation like that, I would just save and shoot everyone until I figured out which one was the killer, then reload(although if the killer's identity were randomized, I guess the joke would be on me). In any game, you have to take into account that the player can basically invoke Groundhog Day pretty much on command.

Actually, Heavy Rain has been designed specifically so that you can't really do that, and the decisions you are making aren't that black and white to begin with. Also they are much more inventive than that and don't feel contrived. First of all, you can't save at will and are at the mercy of the checkpoints. Secondly, while you could go back to the beginning of your current chapter to fix a "mistake", that only really effects the short term. Most of the time, you won't realize you should have maybe done things differently until hours later. At this point you could go all the way back to that point in the story and begin play again from there, but that isn't really a feasible option if you actually want to complete the game in any sort of timely manor.

Honestly, the game is more fun if you simply allow the organic nature of the direction to take its course. Its often very rewarding to watch the butterfly effect taking place; some small, mundane decision that seemed totally insignificant at the beginning of the game becoming what a character may very well hang their life on at the end of it.

I don't have a ps3 so I'll never play this game, but even if were able to play it I'd be skeptical.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Utsuge

Based on what a few posters have said, Heavy Rain appears to be a game with mature themes, and that is its selling point. However, I do not like it when something is so mature with so many depressing themes that it becomes laughable. I don't know if this is the case in Heavy Rain; I hope not.
Example:
My terminally ill cousin was evicted from her home while prostituting herself to pay for her terminally ill mother's surgery which is necessary to fix the wounds caused by a heavy dose of domestic violence from the father who is an alcoholic who was sexually abused by several priests and a caretaker at a nursery. My couusin's little sister was brutally raped repeatedly by 10 men and became pregnant with the rapists baby, which she aborted but then felt guilty. She then met a nice man and they started dating but after she told him she was raped he left her. She hung herself. The mother became depressed and died. The father burned down an orphanage killing the 26 children inside.
Also my 8 months pregnant girlfriend was punched in the stomach by a hoodlum and suffered a miscarriage, and from the depression shot herself in the head.

What a trainwreck huh. I could keep going too.

All I can say is that I, too, have finished a playthrough of Heavy Rain and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It has been a long time since I was pulled into the characters and story so completely.

And, unlike Bioware games (which I completely love) the decisions you are forced to make are much more difficult for the human psyche and have more long-term consequences. For instance, something I'd been doing during the game seemed completely harmless...until one of the ending sequences.

I was fully-immersed in everything I was doing and that was the point. Therefore, this is the kind of game for me, but it's not for everyone. It's just like how everyone loves games like Modern Warfare 2 but I simply don't see the appeal. So...I don't play it, but I don't detract from those who do. If you don't like Heavy Rain, then it's simply not for you. That does not make it a bad game.

archvile93:

Sadly_awake:
Should have it in a few hours cant wait. I personally think anyone that has a PS3 and thinks of this game as a QTE movie and is not buying is just scared of new things.Xenophobes
Anyways I'm waiting for Yahtzee to review it, It will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it.

I'm not scared of new things. I'm scared of things that take the worst of other things and try to hide it with a decent story. Why should I pay fifty dollars for an interactive movie? I'm sorry, but I like my games to have...gameplay.

Well I just played five hours of it and, wow i gotta say though I did run into a couple glitches and the horrible acting (not through the whole game).
The story is very interesting. Whats not there in standard game play the game makes up for by just being pure fun and adrenaline.

I'm really so glad i bought it! Just cause your not doing whats considered in the ordinary does not mean it has no game play I think the article was just referring to the difference in what you might consider how games "should" be played, and how much different this game is to that thought of what "should" or "is".
Sure I'm not shooting people, zombies, monsters, but when I did shoot I actually regretted it I wanted to go back and say "NNOOOOOOOOOOO DONT SHOOT!!" I was also thinking of resetting my system before I saw the HDD come up. Haha It's a very fun experience and well worth it.

I can also say that it does not take the worst things from other games. If you have the idea that games with a really good story and considered to be cinematic that have QTEs and you automatically think they're crap? I'd think you've been watching to much Zero Punctuation and actually take all that he says to heart.

It's all based on opinion though and I wouldn't give one until you've played it :D
Why don't you rent it?

Completely off the subject but sorry if this is unreadable im under the influence of quite a few brews, so yeah

I am tempted to buy this game even though I don't have a PS3, for exactly this reason. I suppose I could hope they do a PC port of it.....

Rocketboy13:
Silent Hill, Grand Theft Auto, and Mass Effect have all covered a variety of mature topics

Not played Silent Hill so I can't say anything there but Grand Theft Auto is about as mature as a fart joke, I don't know anyone with a brain above the age of 15 who thinks it's anymore than shooting people and blowing shit up...not mature and Bioware's idea of mature is death and sex (see Mass Effect) or MOAR BLOOD ( see Dragon Age: Origins) and neither of those things resemble maturity, they resemble teenage fun.
18 rated games aren't mature, they're likely just normal games with lots of swearing, blood, sex and explosions. That doesn't make something mature, that makes it gimmicky and not good enough to survive without the hype that comes from the promise of all this to please the average teen.

Veldt Falsetto:

Rocketboy13:
Silent Hill, Grand Theft Auto, and Mass Effect have all covered a variety of mature topics

Not played Silent Hill so I can't say anything there but Grand Theft Auto is about as mature as a fart joke, I don't know anyone with a brain above the age of 15 who thinks it's anymore than shooting people and blowing shit up...not mature and Bioware's idea of mature is death and sex (see Mass Effect) or MOAR BLOOD ( see Dragon Age: Origins) and neither of those things resemble maturity, they resemble teenage fun.
18 rated games aren't mature, they're likely just normal games with lots of swearing, blood, sex and explosions. That doesn't make something mature, that makes it gimmicky and not good enough to survive without the hype that comes from the promise of all this to please the average teen.

So yeah, apperantly you missed not only GTA IV but also the entirety of both Dragon Age and two Mass Effects, that are definitly about more than death and sex, although both do occur.

Especially the element (in ME) of the Krogan Genophage (a artificial sickness of a biologic weapon that causes the probably most violent species in the galaxy to be almost unable to breed, and as such, they are in controlled numbers, but also even more desperate and war-torn than before, and as such, more hostile) is probably one of the most clever themes featured in a videogame...

Veldt Falsetto:

.... but Grand Theft Auto is about as mature as a fart joke, I don't know anyone with a brain above the age of 15 who thinks it's anymore than shooting people and blowing shit up...not mature .... .

GTA is indeed mature. It has some crazy black humor and brings up some very controversial topics. But maybe you have to be a little bit older to see that.

Don't have a PS3, not going to be buying one on the promise of this game. Metal Gear Solid 4 didn't sell me on it, I consider the Final Fantasy seires to be dead, and this game is not going to be able to justify my spending 250 pounds I haven't got in order to appreciate what seems to me to be a victim of overhype.

Frybird:

Veldt Falsetto:

Rocketboy13:

So yeah, apperantly you missed not only GTA IV but also the entirety of both Dragon Age and two Mass Effects, that are definitly about more than death and sex, although both do occur.

Especially the element (in ME) of the Krogan Genophage (a artificial sickness of a biologic weapon that causes the probably most violent species in the galaxy to be almost unable to breed, and as such, they are in controlled numbers, but also even more desperate and war-torn than before, and as such, more hostile) is probably one of the most clever themes featured in a videogame...

No I played GTAIV until it bored me to death, maybe I did miss some ultimate moment that makes it mature but what I played was just silly.

Meh Genophage was ok but it wasn't dealt with very well and no one cared when you said it was right or wrong, even Krogan, the most violent species in the universe didn't so much as bat an eyelid at you destroying the cure possibly twice. Mass Effect definitely is the most mature mentioned, I certainly fail to see where Dragon Age: Origins succeeded.

ElZeru:

Veldt Falsetto:

.... but Grand Theft Auto is about as mature as a fart joke, I don't know anyone with a brain above the age of 15 who thinks it's anymore than shooting people and blowing shit up...not mature .... .

GTA is indeed mature. It has some crazy black humor and brings up some very controversial topics. But maybe you have to be a little bit older to see that.

I'm honoured to be the recipient of your first post lol.
Hmm well as much as 1 did nothing except give you fun and 3 and 4 did have controversial topics, albeit only if you looked for them, it's mostly a parody anyway, I saw in a documentary that it's pretty much a parody of american action films and culture, so perhaps it has mature undertones but it's a very shallow and silly game on the surface

Veldt Falsetto:

Hmm well as much as 1 did nothing except give you fun and 3 and 4 did have controversial topics, albeit only if you looked for them, it's mostly a parody anyway, I saw in a documentary that it's pretty much a parody of american action films and culture, so perhaps it has mature undertones but it's a very shallow and silly game on the surface

Our opinions differs here a little. ;-)

ElZeru:

Veldt Falsetto:

Our opinions differs here a little. ;-)

That it does, yay being civil ftw!

I really WANT to buy Heavy Rain. If I had the money, I would even consider buying a PS3 just to play it. But sadly, I do not have the money.

I've only played the demo of Heavy Rain, so I can't say too much about it.

Having said that, I have a lot of mixed feelings about those SCI Miami Crime Vision/Instant Forensics Sunglasses (I call them "Caruso's", for short) and it's Powerglove peripheral.

I mean, it really did throw me for a loop. On one hand, I came in expecting Fahrenheit 2, and instead got a combination of that and Deus Ex. On the other hand, they are fucking awesome.

It's too bad its not on PC. You would think there would be more money if they put it on every platform possible. Ya know.. because then.. sorta like, more people will buy them instead of less.

pluizig:
I really WANT to buy Heavy Rain. If I had the money, I would even consider buying a PS3 just to play it. But sadly, I do not have the money.

I already posted this on another board, but I must be one of the rare people who has a few PS3 games but doesn't have the console yet...
Definitely gonna buy Heavy Rain though...

Sadly_awake:

archvile93:

Sadly_awake:
Should have it in a few hours cant wait. I personally think anyone that has a PS3 and thinks of this game as a QTE movie and is not buying is just scared of new things.Xenophobes
Anyways I'm waiting for Yahtzee to review it, It will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it.

I'm not scared of new things. I'm scared of things that take the worst of other things and try to hide it with a decent story. Why should I pay fifty dollars for an interactive movie? I'm sorry, but I like my games to have...gameplay.

Well I just played five hours of it and, wow i gotta say though I did run into a couple glitches and the horrible acting (not through the whole game).
The story is very interesting. Whats not there in standard game play the game makes up for by just being pure fun and adrenaline.

I'm really so glad i bought it! Just cause your not doing whats considered in the ordinary does not mean it has no game play I think the article was just referring to the difference in what you might consider how games "should" be played, and how much different this game is to that thought of what "should" or "is".
Sure I'm not shooting people, zombies, monsters, but when I did shoot I actually regretted it I wanted to go back and say "NNOOOOOOOOOOO DONT SHOOT!!" I was also thinking of resetting my system before I saw the HDD come up. Haha It's a very fun experience and well worth it.

I can also say that it does not take the worst things from other games. If you have the idea that games with a really good story and considered to be cinematic that have QTEs and you automatically think they're crap? I'd think you've been watching to much Zero Punctuation and actually take all that he says to heart.

It's all based on opinion though and I wouldn't give one until you've played it :D
Why don't you rent it?

Completely off the subject but sorry if this is unreadable im under the influence of quite a few brews, so yeah

If I rent it then I just wasted five bucks and my time that I could've spent on something fun, like Bad Company 2. It's like I said with Bioshock and why I hated it; interesting plot and atmosphere does not ever make up for bad or boring gameplay. If all I wanted was a decent plot and nothing else I'd watch a movie which is cheaper. Also, I don't hate games that have QTEs, I hate games that are QTEs and nothing else.

Veldt Falsetto:

QFT...

I am so getting this game (in fact getting it today). Don't care about the graphics (yes they are impressive...nearly looks like a Mental Ray render, but meh), but I finally want to play a game with a story and gameplaymechanics that do not base on kill-everything-that-moves. I like the fact that you do pointless stuff like brushing you teeth or boiling an egg. That helps you to connect with the characters. And even if the controls might seem strange and look like a constant QTE, they are not. It is not press-X-to-no-die. You do not fail the game if you fail to press one button on time. Not even if you fail multiple buttons in a row. In fact, you cannot fail the game at all. There is no game over. If all four characters die, the story has a different ending. That is not game over.

I know this game is not Halo or CoD, but in my book that is a good thing.

If you don't want to buy it, then at least rent it. Then like it and buy it.

Hmm ...

I need more money ... and time ... besides, I already ran through my gaming budget for the month. No deal. Sorry Heavy Rain - appreciate the effort.

I unfortunately don't have a PS3, so that means I can't buy it.

However, with Heavy Rain I can't help but notice a peculiar similarity between David Cage and another person with the last name of Cage.

Namely, I'm referring to composer John Cage, who's known for being one of the first composers to partake in true aleatoric music, who pioneered the prepared piano, and who created the gamut technique of composition. Oh yeah, and he also wrote an extremely infamous piece that you may know by its rather odd title of 4'33". (For those that don't know it, it's that exact time period of written out silence. I kid you not.) There's also a popular story assosciating his teacher, Arnold Schoenberg (father of 12-tone serialism), who, when Schoenberg told him "you're banging your head against a wall" due to a percieved problem with harmony, Cage replied "I'll keep banging my head against the wall".

I think we're getting something incredibly similar between the two Cages here. With John Cage, his music is sure as hell not for everyone; it takes a while to get used to some of his gamut technique pieces, and there's a reason why 4'33" is infamous. I'm personally of the crowd that believes that 4'33" is pointless art if only because I deal with silence regularly. But I can understand the esoterics behind why he would write a piece consisting of silence, and for that he deserves brownie points for having the balls to follow his artistic ambitions, even if he alienates a certain crowd of people doing so.

Which leads me back to David Cage. Now, if I had a PS3, I would certainly buy this game, not just because it looks like an incredibly intriguing game on a story level (and let's face it, back in the day story was one of the main reasons I would play RPGs), but also because I admire David Cage for following his artistic ambitions, even if he's not entirely sure the gaming audience is ready for it. Did John Cage change every piece ever written after he came along? Hell no. Will David Cage change every game after Heavy Rain? Probably not. But as with 4'33", Heavy Rain will become one of those rare games in gaming history that serves as a landmark to an artist's ambitions, even if the final product isn't totally what he hoped to be. And it will be talked about by gamers and designers alike quite a bit afterwards.

Christian Ward:
Going Gold: Why You Need to Buy Heavy Rain

Whether you like the game or not, if you care about seeing real emotional drama in videogames, you need to buy Heavy Rain.

Read Full Article

Yeah... sorry, I'd rather go to the cinema than having an "interactive movie" in which I have to press buttons for my character to brush his teeth, dry his hair or wipe his arse.

Also "Heavy Rain" is nothing new, check out Phantasmagoria from 1995, Urban Runner from 1996 or Black Dahlia from 1998 and lots more that fall into the Interactive Movie genre.

I'm not finished playing Heavy Rain yet. However so far I've enjoyed it a lot.

The vocal dialog hasn't been amazing so far, but I most of the dialog I have enjoyed has been kino dialog (body movements and interactions). Many sequences and the direction within them have hit home for me despite never being a parent, woman, detective or drug addict.

In some instances tropes are less than stellar in their telling. All the other content and attention to detail keeps me well up past my bed time.

Ultimately the gameplay itself feels like a choose-your-own-adventure. There are many interactions and characters, all of which have fairly defined roles, plus a series of choices in both QTE and less explicit forms. I feel I've taken many of the obvious choices; I intend to play through a second time to see what other paths there are. I'll hold my final judgement at least till the end of the story.

Ultimately this type of game will probably have an uphill battle for a long time. While many gamers are getting on in years the age of population, and their maturity in the hobby, makes marketing for such a game a challenge.

Veldt Falsetto:
Not played Silent Hill so I can't say anything there

Oh God, what have you been doing with your life? Stop sitting at your computer. Get up. Get up right now. Go out your door, find a copy of SH2, I don't care how. Bring it back home and then play that shit.

Do it.

The game's creator, David Cage, says as much. "It's about asking the market, are you interested in experiences that are for a mature audience based on storytelling and triggering more complex emotions?" Cage told Eurogamer. "If the game doesn't sell, it's going to close doors to everybody and for a long time... Do you want [games] to be just trolls and goblins and zombies? Then don't buy it."

While I understand that this is an excerpt of a larger comment, I also recognize that this is a false dichotomy. I appreciate that Heavy Rain represents an alternative of sorts to typical (or at least stereotypical) gaming; it's inaccurate to paint it as a sort of us-them relationship.

Nope wont be getting it.
No intention of getting a PS3.
Sony can claim to be pushing the envelope on maturity in gaming,but untill they and Microsoft pull their heads out of their arse's on exclusives,I'll be keeping my money.

According to Games Radar the game is full to the brim with plot-holes, average voice-acting and some of the characters are pretty flat.

I'm left wondering, when those things were supposed to be the main draw, what the point of getting the game is.

Yeah, I could spend my money on the film equivalent of 'Choose Your Own Adventure' books in the hope of encouraging people to make games but that would be a mistake, because what people who want games with mature themes/plots and emotional impact ought to be encouraging developers to make GAMES with these sorts of storylines. This is the second time this columnist seems to have overlooked the misnomer of this 'game'.

I've been saying this stuff for years. Remember Final Fantasy VII? Remember how you felt when Aeris died? Remember how funny it was when you first saw Cloud dressed up as a girl? Remember the feelings that game produced??? Yes-- I want to have more storytelling. I love game stories. A game's story can either make or break an experience for me. Ever played Dawn of War II? The gameplay is quite fun, and fast paced, but Gods, the story is completely boring and predictable. All it needed was a good story tand then I would have actually finished.

i played the demo, and it played like one big quick time event, unless your giving me the cash, sorry i'm not buying

ethaninja:
It's too bad its not on PC. You would think there would be more money if they put it on every platform possible. Ya know.. because then.. sorta like, more people will buy them instead of less.

I dunno... it's sorta like the game wouldn't have gotten made without money from Sony, which they provided so they could have another artistic and distinctive game and maybe convince a few people to buy the console. A unique exclusive game makes a better case for buying a specific console than a videogame that's got enough general appeal (e.g. God of War) that you're likely to see a successful multiplatform me-too title (e.g. Dante's Inferno)

That said: the holier-than-thou guilt trip tone of both the article here and the David Cage quotes are thoroughly repulsive. I'm on the fence about buying the game, being preached to how I should bite the bullet on all of its flaws "to save gaming" - especially from Cage - is offensive almost to the point that I'd skip buying the game out of spite. I'm fine with the games we've already seen come out... that's why I'm on this site, that's why I own a console already, etc, etc. If I thought videogames as they were pre- Heavy Rain sucked I WOULD BE DOING SOMETHING ELSE WITH MY LIFE RIGHT NOW.

On the other hand, this has been a great comments thread: there are a handful of people so far who've said they played the game and they're unanimous that it succeeds on delivering something really different... then there's this ravenous pack of guys jumping on all the game's reported shortcomings and philosophizing at length about how much and why it sucks.

Let's use math to crowdsource my decision-making about buying the game!

In favor: 5 people * (8 strong theme - 3 unanswered criticisms) = 25 points
Against: 75 people * (6 some good points - 4 probably missing the point a bit) = 50 points

Looks like a noo..ooohhhh wait, I forgot one step... multiply by any applicable first-hand experience:
In favor: 25 * 1 average experience with the game
Against: 50 * 0 average experiences with the game

I should probably give it a shot.

Maybe it shouldn't be called a "game", but rather interactive fiction.

As interactive fiction I got no problems with it.

One of the appeals in story driven WRPGs is the impact your choices (could) have. This is like that, but with more consequences and the gameplay replaced with QTEs.

Atleast this should be better than a game that is both dumbed down and has a pathetic story, I think.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here