Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 15 NEXT

I think when Movie Bob says "While Japan is represented by...well everything else." I think he meant pre-teen girls pretending to be men.

I have to admit I was expecting Cop Out or The Crazies. I mean, it's a Kevin Smith film and a remake of a lesser known George Romero film. That's movie geekdom right there.

Just watched it. Complete and utter shit. I almost never have to force myself to watch a film but here it was a chore.

HardRockSamurai:
I must say I like the way MovieBob approached this review. While Halo Legends certainly isn't anywhere near as good as Animatrix (particularity owing to, lets face it, the dull source material that is the Halo franchise), it's an interesting experiment and bizarre social turn-around. I can't even remember the last time Japan took a crack at an American franchise (at least, since the Animatrix).

It's almost as if Japan is getting revenge on the West for turning it's numerous franchises into dull Americanized remakes, a revenge that we've admittedly had coming for quite some time (see Silent Hill: Homecoming and the U.S. remake of One Missed Call if you're not convinced).

Despite MovieBob's discrepancy for Halo (which I'm willing to tolerate because, quite frankly, who on earth plays Halo for the story?) I think he nailed this review. Well done!

In addition to MovieBob's statements, I'd recommend Halo Legends to any Halo fan who wants to convince himself that the franchise still has some storytelling merit. It's no masterpiece, but unless you're a brainless idiot (like the majority of the underage Halo populace) you might enjoy it, or at least recognize it as a decent work of animation.

I feel that there is a bit of a reoccurring misunderstanding about the Matrix and the Animatrix in these posts. The live Matrix movies were basically live action reimaginings of anime. The Wachowski brothers commissioned the Animatrix from anime creators who had influenced their creation of The Matrix and oversaw the whole thing and they wrote several of the short themselves. That's partially why the Animatrix seems better than Gotham Knight and Halo Legends to fans of the franchise. Its as true to the source material as possible. The films are based on anime and an anime based on the films with the same writers/directors is going to be more of the same. With Gotham Knight and Halo Legends their source material has nothing to do with anime so while the Gotham Knight shorts were mostly written by comic book writers the art styles they ran with didn't fit traditional Batman ideas and Halo Legends has the same sort of problem. This is why The Animatrix seems "right" while Gotham Knight and Halo Legends feels like a "Mash-up".

I'm only really commenting on "Japan takes a crack at American Franchise"

Does anyone else see this as a terrible idea to start out with. Think of it this way, we all know movie games suck a big hollywood cock, right? Well why should it be any different the other way around? I mean, the only reason people make movie games (and this is just my opinion) is to please the fanboys who wanted to play as a 10 foot tall blue kitty kat person (just an example) no matter how much the actual game sucks.
So the only reason someone would think that a halo movie would be good, logically, is if they were uber fans, and japan even fucked up that. Why would they bastardize the story of halo when the people who will end up seeing the movie are the people who will get pissed at everything in it.
That's why this movie (short stories, whatever) utterly fails, if you're going to make a movie import of a video game maybe stick to the actual story word by word, or else the following you were hoping for will just turn out to be an angry mob.

Wow. This really has the haters of a lot of things out in force doesn't it?

Well I for one love Halo's storyline. You just have to look beyond the games. As for Legends I still need to see all of them (I missed the S-1337 episode dammit!) but I did catch, among a few, the Duel and I loved that one. In fact I'd say that the best part of the Halo series is the Covenant's side of the story since even though the SPARTAN's have a good storyline in the books there's no way around the 'manly space marine' mentality that people get.

Although I've seen more JRPG bashing low-lifes out in force in this thread. Anyone who bashed that picture of the two sides' good games as nothing being good on Japan's side is just a hater. Plain and simple.

meh personaly I tought Duel was very weak, didn't like the art style
The Odd one out, Homecoming and Origins otoh were siply amazing
the others were okay-ish

and your bias for Japanese games is simply laughable

Awexsome:
Wow. This really has the haters of a lot of things out in force doesn't it?

Although I've seen more JRPG bashing low-lifes out in force in this thread. Anyone who bashed that picture of the two sides' good games as nothing being good on Japan's side is just a hater. Plain and simple.

Yeah I agree with that. I'm not saying it's bad because it's anime, that's just 12 year old xbox live bullshit. I'm saying it's bad because video game movies suck (despite the whopping 5 bob posted in the intermission). I think reality should go like this: no video game movies and no movie video games. It's like someone said before, video games are a medium. We don't need to be redundant by just bringing it to a new medium.

Interesting, as always your opinion is appreciated Bob :)sounds like I'll check this one out at some point.

Sorry Bob,
I gotta second solidstatemind's opinion. The last couple of reviews have been... opinions, not the analysis that I have loved you for in the past. Your review on the reworked Star Trek comes directly to mind. It understood your preconceived opinions (hell, you opened the first half of your review with them) and then jumped into a brief analysis of script, acting, effects, set pieces. These analysis included jokes, but they didn't separate from the subject i.e. THE FILM ITSELF, not the subject it was based on, not the series it spawned from, not the actor's background or track record (btw, i personally think that Pegg could have phoned in Scotty's role and fans still would have loved because it's SIMON 'FREAKING' PEGG! Geek humor's only staple right now with Bruce Campbell doing crap all... haven't seen Burn Notice yet but I'm trying) wow... i meander as much as you do Bob...
That brings me to my next point. What I loved about Moviebob is the same thing I loved about GameOverthinker, it was an analysis, a frequently humorous one mind you, but still, an analysis.
I understand the limited timeframe of the creation of these segments mean that not as much depth is to be expected, but at least try man, because I love your stuff, and I want to keep loving your stuff.
Scott Glasgow

Talo_AML:
I think when Movie Bob says "While Japan is represented by...well everything else." I think he meant pre-teen girls pretending to be men.

Indeedie. Or rather, cartoon versions of pre-teen girls pretending to be men.

Doug:

Talo_AML:

Or rather, all the characters he put when he said "while japan is represented by... well everything else"
not just preteen girls T_T

Awexsome:

Agreed, and the "hurpa durpa girly men" (works better spoken, trust me) thing people go on about needs to die. In a fire.

Also, it appears nobody used my link to his 9 review, as shown by the continuing cries of Japanophile.

Badassassin:

Doug:

Talo_AML:

Or rather, all the characters he put when he said "while japan is represented by... well everything else"

And, by the same token, 'the West aka America' is represented by more than Master Chief and Gears of War. But given Bob choose to stereotype everything from Bioware games to Half Life to Bioshock to C&C as 'Halo', I don't see why my stereotype of Japan is any worse.

Doug:

Badassassin:

Doug:

Talo_AML:

And, by the same token, 'the West aka America' is represented by more than Master Chief and Gears of War. But given Bob choose to stereotype everything from Bioware games to Half Life to Bioshock to C&C as 'Halo', I don't see why my stereotype of Japan is any worse.

Oh i know, his representation was totally biased. i'm just saying just cause he was biased to the west doesn't mean you should be biased to japan. at the risk of sounding like YOUR mom, "two wrongs don't make a right." lawl. I think we can all say honestly that since at least the Eli review, Bob is EXTREMELY biased. No way I look to him for which movie I should go see, I just observe it as a point of entertainment. Just how if you follow yahtzee's critiques to the word you wouldn't have any games but batman arkham asylum. But that doesn't mean he isn't the funniest guy on the escapist.

Badassassin:

Doug:

Badassassin:

Doug:

Talo_AML:

Oh i know, his representation was totally biased. i'm just saying just cause he was biased to the west doesn't mean you should be biased to japan. at the risk of sounding like YOUR mom, "two wrongs don't make a right." lawl. I think we can all say honestly that since at least the Eli review, Bob is EXTREMELY biased. No way I look to him for which movie I should go see, I just observe it as a point of entertainment. Just how if you follow yahtzee's critiques to the word you wouldn't have any games but batman arkham asylum. But that doesn't mean he isn't the funniest guy on the escapist.

Ok, maybe it was childish of me to go in the oppose extreme (though I generally don't like Japanese stuff in general - not necessarily because of the subject matter, more because of the gameplay styles they seem to like), but I'm sick to death of MovieBob claiming he's neutral and hates Japanophiles and then actually being an intense Japanophile.

Doug:

Badassassin:

Doug:

Badassassin:

Doug:

Talo_AML:

Ok, maybe it was childish of me to go in the oppose extreme (though I generally don't like Japanese stuff in general - not necessarily because of the subject matter, more because of the gameplay styles they seem to like), but I'm sick to death of MovieBob claiming he's neutral and hates Japanophiles and then actually being an intense Japanophile.

Yeah like I said, Bob is too biased to look to for movie advice. But to me, as long as he stays funny I can let that whole thing fly because I can make my own decisions. I don't like Japanese games either, I just don't like the characters that much in general. It's like every person in japan gets a hard on whenever they see something overly cute.

>.> Ok, I've heard it from just about everyone else, Moviebob (the latest to protest there hate for Halo) has finally roused my to make a point. (note, I am fully prepared for the waves of hate towards me that are on the way, so don't bother, I will not be returning to check these comments after my post).

I am sick of this stereotype image of all Halo Fanboys being these Rabid, stick-stupid meatheads who ask "can-I-haz-xbox" and think that anything with more story then Borderlands is "too wordy". I love Half-life, Mass Effect 1&2 are some of my favorite games, and I'm even a fan of the old Final Fantasy games. Heck, I wonder how many people actually had heard of Ender's Game (or read the entire Shadow Series) before this Review. But I still feel, even before the second (and especially before the second) game came out, Halo was one of the most compelling stories I'd played in a game. Why? Because I was able to get into the Chief's helmet easier then any other role I've ever played. Is it the most original story every? No, but it wasn't trying to be.

Correction: Western Gaming is defined by Space Marines as well as completely player definable base templates, a la the Western RPG.

Nice review though.

Nightfalke:
B-b-b-but Deus Ex.

B-b-b-but Thief 2.

B-b-b-but System Shock.

Granted, none of these have been made in the last decade...

So I'll end with... B-b-b-but Bioshock?

I submit an addition:

B-b-b-but Call of Cthulhu.

This review was another stump upon which Moviebob can spew his biased, non-factual, and frankly idiotic opinions and dress them up as criticism. Industry wide it's being acknowledged that the Japanese creative game market is stagnant, even from the Japanese themselves, look up interviews from the last tepid Tokyo Game Show if you don't believe me.

He comes across as an angry Nintendo fanboy, blasting his rage that these, in his opinion, inferior franchises have succeeded in the West. Setting aside that his opinions on Halo are unfounded, I've found that Halo hatred is a symptom of internet backlash rage at anything that gets popular enough and that most haters despise the games fans and its popularity outside gaming culture.

He ignores that most of the development in gaming over the past ten years has come from Western game developers, not the Japanese. I can think of Half-Life, Bioshock, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, Obilvion, Fallout 3, Killzone, Uncharted, Modern Warfare, Mass Effect, Grand Theft Auto and that's just relatively recent games I can pull out off the top of my head.

Bob is ignoring the way gaming has been going, and his very ugly bias and ignorance shows

I'd kinda expected him to wrack down on it more, so better than expected I guess.

If you don't like something that doesn't mean you should stereotype it. Another thing, the "West" does have a large variety of games and you don't need to look that hard to find them.

Wow. The Japanese made Halo good?

I feel like I'm in some kind of evil bizarro universe.

dekkarax:

It would probably make for a good overthinker episode to look at the design aesthetics of each culture and how their respective histories have influenced them, and maybe to look at the differences between how each culture makes unique characters in games.

realy no point in doing that, we all know his opinion and that he will like usual ignore a lot of the western character design that doesn't fit his view

In response to MovieBob:

You do appear to enjoy caricaturizing Halo's fanbase, don't you. I mean, it's not like each and every game fanbase has it's share of mouth breathing, drooling troglodytes or anything. Nope, it's us who are the idiots.

To tell the truth I don't think Halo is that great, but I still enjoy it and it's expanded fiction enough to warrant a defense against the straw man argument you've seem to have created.

You keep making up points of how Halo is some muscle-tripping, testosterone filled cock-fest about beefy zipped up muscle-men beating down endless waves of bad guys in order to save humanity and get the girl. I think you've mistaken it with Gears of War (I know you haven't but just listen) whose unapologetic scandalous methods are intentionally done as such and shouldn't be taken seriously. Halo on the other hand actually has some depth, emulating world events such as ultra religious militaristic pragmaticism in the form of the covenant and a group of terroristic insurgents attempting to break away from the overly controlling human government. I'll admit Halo's story isn't exactly original unto itself but unravels in an at least glance-worthy way.

I understand some discrepancies you might have with the series but everything you've shown has been one giant bought of misinformation that is indicative enough that you really didn't give the series nothing more than a passing glance. Yes, I'll say it, the story doesn't feel all that good or well written without the expanded fiction, and you'll reply that if a game can't stand on it's own two feet than it is isn't good to begin with. There is however, only so much story one can fit into a game, something that Halo doesn't do all that well admittedly, but could never have been fit into, as you described, a truly multiplayer centric game.

I wrote this with the greatest amount of humility I possess, and I hope to death you don't take this overly-long and complex post as an insult as an insult it is not.

nightwolf667:

paragon1:
If you think Gears of War and Halo are the only Western games out there Bob, then I think it's time you payed a visit to ANYWHERE THAT SELLS VIDEOGAMES. If you do, you'll see a wide range of titles with a wide range of characters in a wide range of genres that you appear to have missed.
Let me name a few that break your stereotype that are sitting on my shelf right now.
Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

You know, there are Western video games out there that break MovieBob's stereotype. You haven't named one yet. Actually, you've proved his point.

So...yeah.

Yeah nothing. Almost none of the main or supporting characters in those games fit his description of western game characters. Hell, half of those let YOU pick what the character will be like.

Doug:

lordlee:

Teh Blasta:

paragon1:

Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

Some of those are not FPS.

He was just listing Western games.

Agreed. Part of the reason his wapanese views annoy me. He seems to think Halo == All Western Games. And J- games annoy the crap out of me in general - the only "J-" games I like that I know about are the Mario ones. And I mean main series Mario. Oh, and some of the Zelda ones.

Yeah, if he'd said "character design" in reference to only the physical appearance, I might have agreed with him. But he brought the "character" part of characters. I disagree.

simmeh:

So basically, Deus Ex (which is more of an RPG) and Bioshock, which doesn't play very well but has a nice atmosphere. I haven't played Thief admittedly, but System Shock was horrible.

You mean, you hated system shock, as far is it sucking, you are horribly wrong in every aspect. Being one of the highest ranking games made of its time and all....

"so basically".... Thats a bs statement to make. There is no point wasting time with large list when you only had to name a few.

Moving back to one of the first statements about japan vs the west. All and all moviebob, for someone who analyzes game stereotypes you really generalized all western gaming by saying all of them "including everything not an fps" were about 1 dimensional machismo marines. Tim Schafer, Will Wright, Peter Molyneux? I don't recall them making many military grunt base games.

So this thread finally got me to register.
I'm not going to defend bob's statement about "western game characters" as accurate, I really don't think it was intended to be. Bob's comment was likely a hyperbole, meant at least in part as joke.
Obviously not all western game characters are cookie cutter space marines with stubble. However, it it very rare to see a western game character who is not a realistically rendered human. More specifically, a medium to well built adult, dressed in either practical clothing or armour, and able to handle a weapon. The only exception to this I can think of is Brutal Legend, and not much of one.
While this is more accurate than what moviebob said, it's a lot less funny.

paragon1:
If you think Gears of War and Halo are the only Western games out there Bob, then I think it's time you payed a visit to ANYWHERE THAT SELLS VIDEOGAMES. If you do, you'll see a wide range of titles with a wide range of characters in a wide range of genres that you appear to have missed.
Let me name a few that break your stereotype that are sitting on my shelf right now.
Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

Let's see:
Brutal Legend - Yeah That's a unique Character
Assasin's Creed II - that one too
Mass Effect 1 & 2 - I man or a woman created from stock parts, because the creator's were too lazy to do it themselves
Dragon Age - Same as Mass Effect
Uncharted - A guy
Bioshock - A guy

Even if you look further, you'll find many similarities between the characters in terms of design:

Half Life - A guy in a Suit
Gears of War - A guy in Armor
Modern Warfare - A Soldier
Call of Duty - A Soldier
Medal of Honor - A Soldier
Wolfenstein - A Soldier
Halo - A guy in Armor
Duke Nukem - A guy (pretty bad ass one though)
inFamous - A guy
Prototype - A guy
God of War - a Guy with chain weapons

The Only exceptions I can think of are:
Prince of Persia
Rayman
Beyond Good and Evil
Western Point & Click Adventures
Battletoads
Mortal Kombat
XIII
Comic Book and Movie Characters don't count since they originated in a different medium.

Let's look to the popular japanese games:
Super Mario - Main Franchise(that game series alone almost as much distinguishable Characters as are listed Above)

Sonic The Hedgehog - a blue stylized hedgehog
Bomberman - a ... thing
Alex Kidd - what ever the hell he is supposed to be
Bionic Commando - a guy with a Bionic Arm
Kirby
Pikmin - a very stylized space explorer
Donkey Kong - a Monkey
Bubble Bobble - a dragon that shoots bubbles
Megaman - a Robot
Devil May Cry - A Guy who is a demon with a big ass sword and two Pistols
Bayonetta - a witch with guns attached to her feet, that uses her hair to create giant monsters
Final Fantasy IX (the only one not using stock character designs)
Dig Dug
No More Heroes
many japanese nes/snes/mega drive/saturn/pc-engine/dreamcast etc.

There a plenty of other memorable and distinguishable characters on Japanese side, I just don't have the time to write all of them down, BUT their game industry is much bigger than western game industry, and opposed to all great designed characters, they have many games featuring anime style stock character's too.
so i would say japan wins at the moment. But I see what moviebob was trying to say when he said that the western games are represented by guys with gun's. Because the western game industry is aiming that way, most of the recent games are FPS games featuring stock character designs of a guy with some gimmick attached to him, so it's not that far away from the truth.

mchoueiri:
With all due respect movie bob you review movies keep reviewing movies. Im sorry to say that you do not know much about video games. While I think halo legends does not look good that does not give reason to go after US made games and stereotype them since the west has a large range and variety of games. Not to sound rude but stick to reviewing movies and leave video games alone

*sigh* Um excuse me, but do you even know that he DOESN'T play video games?

And we have a variety of games? Like what kinds? Because all I normally see out are either Guitar Hero/Rock Band, FPS, or God Of War-like action games. He has a strong point when it comes to gaming in the west. Japan has much better quality games than we do here. We used to have a lot of variety but ever since the PS3 and 360 came out, it hasn't been very interesting.

I thought Halo Legends would be...............different.

I do believe that this is worth watching just for the lolz I'll get from watching japan tear Halo and new... um... halo ^_^ *Chuckle* I be so witty.
Halo truly does suck absolute and utter balls. But try telling that to a 13 year old fan boy who has been playing it for the past 3 years and nothing else.
Side note: Why do kids these days calling absolutely everything they dont like or disagree with "Gay" or "fag"? Is it a new genetic compulsion or something? Or are they just fucking retarded.
I'm going for the latter.

Osaka-chaness:

mchoueiri:
With all due respect movie bob you review movies keep reviewing movies. Im sorry to say that you do not know much about video games. While I think halo legends does not look good that does not give reason to go after US made games and stereotype them since the west has a large range and variety of games. Not to sound rude but stick to reviewing movies and leave video games alone

*sigh* Um excuse me, but do you even know that he DOESN'T play video games?

And we have a variety of games? Like what kinds? Because all I normally see out are either Guitar Hero/Rock Band, FPS, or God Of War-like action games. He has a strong point when it comes to gaming in the west. Japan has much better quality games than we do here. We used to have a lot of variety but ever since the PS3 and 360 came out, it hasn't been very interesting.

I have to agree with you on that Osaka_chaness. The wests hyper masculine gaming culture is obviously aimed at the early teen male market who all want to be big strong men and kill things when they grow up and their balls drop. Its where the money is cause they will lap that shit up even if its a pile of crap like Halo. A game company cannot fail with that kind of foamy fan-boy market.

Me I'm a big RPG fan. I like story, character interaction and dialogue. Yes thats right all you kids out there, I like all that gay stuff. Try reading a book, you may learn some words other than gay and fag. But name me a western rpg with good story, dialogue and characters. I'll give you almost any Bioware game cause that their bread and butter, deep engrossing story. Borderlands had almost no story to speak of pretty much just another fps. Fallout3 was fun but the story sucked balls, very shallow and insulted my intelligence.
I could go on but you get the point. Western gaming is aimed at the retard teens cause that is where the money is. Simple as.
And sadly thats not likely to change any time soon.

As for me I'll be sticking with Japanese games for teh foreseeable future until the west makes something that doesnt suck... I'll probably be either old or dead by then.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here