Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

whats with 1337? sry i'm a newb.

ZOMG. lol i am actually a halo and an anime fan. ive never played ANY game online (except CS 1.6) and i actually liked the one with spartan 1337. btw i saw them b4 this review came out.

i havent seen the duel yet though

viking97:

1337 mean LEET in gamertalk or as its commonly known 'leetspeek'

I like to think that this project isn't necessarily aimed at the people who already like Halo. No, its Bungie's way of saying "Lets try to expand our fan base before the next game." by attempting to prove to dissenters that Halo's backstory doesn't live up to all of the bad press and hopefully win some new fans in a new demographic. Besides, I think this looks pretty cool, from what I have seen.

I proballly sound stupid but uh, 1337? I don't get it, and I'v seen that refrenced twice, waht does it mean?

If you like Anime, you will love this.[Animatrix was the shit! The CGI experiments in this are topnotch, except the Package... references to Evangelion were in Prototype[Hedgehog's Dilemma strikes again] and Babysitter[Female Character Empowerment Force Go!] btw, War and Power are not always glorious.
Homecoming is based on the Halo books! And not done too well with it's lack of ambiguity.

IF you like good books about Militaristic SciFi you will love this.[Ender's Game is the Shit for RIZZLE!]

IF you like Halo, for the plot, you will love this[about time they mentioned the Spartans are kidnapped children who turn into albinos, some of them are females[women made the best snipers in WW2], and the Covenant "Journey" is a lie/misunderstanding]

All around, the Odd One Out was the weakest followed by Homecoming. Why that animation style for that story...eew.
And sitting next to art from Prod. I.G and 4C, damn Toei must have been butthurt when they saw the other shorts.

"1337" means "leet" or elite. That is called a pun, an evil nerdy thing. Good thing they left it in the Dragonball homage.

Been a fan of halo for a long time, the original halo was what got me into the FPS scene. That said I haven't been fond of anything halo that wasn't made by bungie, halowars was annoying and didn't feel like it knew what it was doing. I haven't seen these yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing if they fit the franchise.

I rise to the challenge of that ending blurb. How about moon? Its a DS FPS (hooray for acronyms) and its really cool and realistic after you think about the game's concepts for a few seconds. Also, one of the guns literally shoots air as ammo, a machine gun fires balls of acid and the shotgun-esque weapon utilizes neutrons (its all very zany).

Spartan 1337?
That ain't no coincidence.

I have to say, that you, Bob, have no knowledge of the general concensus between the majority of Halo fans, those being those past adolescense, and subsequently less vocal, which are wholeheartedly fans of the story of both the games and the novels. We have known for a long while that there a lot of female Spartans, and are generally excited about them(especially when we were finally going to have one featured in a game, in the upcoming Halo: Reach). You also lack knowledge about the backstory of the franchise, probably by your selfadmitted intolerance of the series. I don't see why you would review a piece of media out of a franchise that you so deeply despise. It makes as much sense as if a scholar in Classical music were to review a heavy metal album.

I am not without selfirony, and must admit that I laughed at a few points which are true regarding certain aspects of the Halo community, but I think it's unjust to bash every fan of the franchise like you do.

paragon1:
If you think Gears of War and Halo are the only Western games out there Bob, then I think it's time you payed a visit to ANYWHERE THAT SELLS VIDEOGAMES. If you do, you'll see a wide range of titles with a wide range of characters in a wide range of genres that you appear to have missed.
Let me name a few that break your stereotype that are sitting on my shelf right now.
Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

Agreed, America(or the west) is way more varied and has alot more intellectual depth than Japan in my opinion. Master chief and Halo is just the worst example of the west and Moviebob should dig alot deeper than that, then he'll find the Mass effect series. Overall this is a good review though.

Blingling:
Dinosaurs! Of course - thats what Halo was missing all along.

In one of the original ideas for Halo, there were dinosaurs. Also Master Chief looked more like a japanese main character, being thinner and having an energy sword and shield. But there was still Sgt. Johnson. Yay!

dude i really did not expect to see minato on your Japanese charecter thing.

I do generally ike MovieBob, but this review was fairly annoying to sit through. Mainly because of his narrow-minded Nintendo fanboyism. You should mostly stick to movie reviews Mr. Chipman and stay out of videogames. Everything i hate about your other show, the game overthinker came back in this episode and ruined everything about it. I do love this series, but not the game overthinker.

i may buy it if they cut out every thing halo and replace it was real anime and not shite

Wow, that was the most biased review, ever.

Yes he is not a huge halo fan but he doesn't even explain why. (Other than it is amongst the other shooters we have today)

But the biggest evidence is when he talks about the opening that explains the universe of Halo and then, just says "It all comes down to a generic first person shooter"

I mean what the fuck?

He refuses to give Halo a chance at all, the novels, the games, hell even the comics are good (Especially about the one with Rtas Vadum) This whole review is just him attempting to beat the franchise with a crowbar.

I don't hate movie bob, he's still okay, and hasn't lied about too many films IMO. (Convinced me enough to see 2012 and I enjoyed that)

But this one review isn't even a review, just straight up bashing.

Swaki:
i have never been a fan of either the anime reimaginings (saw the batman and matrix ones) or halo, so for me this was an easy decision, but the review did spark some interest, i may rent it or just watch the good bits on youtube.

Cause a good percent of the country is japanaphobic, America dislikes anime a lot and when they send their franchises to Japan to actually see a different viewpoint, America hates it because its not the same shit they got with the original version of the franchise >.>

radicaledward92:

Swaki:
i have never been a fan of either the anime reimaginings (saw the batman and matrix ones) or halo, so for me this was an easy decision, but the review did spark some interest, i may rent it or just watch the good bits on youtube.

Cause a good percent of the country is japanaphobic, America dislikes anime a lot and when they send their franchises to Japan to actually see a different viewpoint, America hates it because its not the same shit they got with the original version of the franchise >.>

erhm... maybe? i dont know how Americans behave, im Danish, and i Didnt like the batman re imagining because it was really really strange, in one of the "episodes" batman was a over weight middle aged man, also he existed in 3 or 4 forms at the same time, also he was a alien, i didnt like it because it had nothing to do with the batman i knew from the comics, cartoons and movies, but it did have a couple of episodes i really enjoyed, its been a while since i saw it but i remember one where batman was badly hurt and running trough the sewers, i really liked that one.

but i admit i have never been a fan of anime, i dont really care for the art design of most of them and they have another way of telling stories, i dont hate it, but its just not for me, i like my batman to be a martial arts master and a super intelligent detective, not a alien.

to be honest i preferred the books, but legends was good.
my one problem: the girl spartans

heheheh just made you think i'm sexist. but anyways my problem was that they made it as a plot twist, which made no sense. there are female spartans. i don't get why thats such a "MBWAAAAAAHHHH?" moment.

halo faboyness aside at first i hated these. i am not an anime fan you see. but after a good deal of time and watching your video twice (and watching the anime film, ghost in a shell despite my instincts, on netflix) i decided halo legends is different from average halo, but that doesn't make it bad.

Love, a not incredibly generic halo fanboy.

Swaki:

radicaledward92:

Swaki:

erhm... maybe? i dont know how Americans behave, im Danish, and i Didnt like the batman re imagining because it was really really strange, in one of the "episodes" batman was a over weight middle aged man, also he existed in 3 or 4 forms at the same time, also he was a alien, i didnt like it because it had nothing to do with the batman i knew from the comics, cartoons and movies, but it did have a couple of episodes i really enjoyed, its been a while since i saw it but i remember one where batman was badly hurt and running trough the sewers, i really liked that one.

but i admit i have never been a fan of anime, i dont really care for the art design of most of them and they have another way of telling stories, i dont hate it, but its just not for me, i like my batman to be a martial arts master and a super intelligent detective, not a alien.

Once again your falling straight into the group of people who absolutely REFUSE to have a franchise go explore a different viewpoint whatsoever even if its just for a random spin off that seemed more like a joke from the japanese compared to actually taking it seriously

viking97:

i think its some old internet joke or something having to do with 4chan

i found it's very boring

I really enjoyed this collection of shorts. it really tried to be accurate and did that really well. Although i didn't understand some things mainly because in halo games i don't pay attention in the cutscenes like the fore runners, never really payed attention to who they were. And the battle of Reach, didn't under stand why spartans, the best of the best, died until there were 4 (or some crap like that). but in the end, I really liked it. There im done now. :P

I think it's kinda funny that even though you obviously don't like halo, your favorite episodes of the legends series were the ones that followed the halo mythology the closest.

this DvD is da shit

You know, not all of us Halo fans are internet obscenity spewing jocks, there's a community of what would be the eqyuialvent of trekkies or star wars nerds, looking over canon and such.

i remember prototype more than anything else mainly for the flashbacks not the giant robot

CoD fanboy much?

I personally loved the shorts, they had stories that were easy to understand and Odd Man Out felt like a nice not serious intermission after the first half. I also noticed something, IRIS (The viral campaign for Halo 3) Is the same as Origins only Origins is the animated version of the story while IRIS took place as messages. As for Homecoming, i have to say it's a pretty bold statement, imagine that, being kidnapped and placed in the Spartan program only to escape and find out that nobody has known about your disappearance due to the fact that they cloned you, it's pretty depressing in that thought. The most hollow though is The Package because it IS a Master Chief kills everything-a-thon with a thin story. I'd watch it again, reminds me of the Animatrix

Jabberwock xeno:
You know, not all of us Halo fans are internet obscenity spewing jocks, there's a community of what would be the eqyuialvent of trekkies or star wars nerds, looking over canon and such.

I think it's a in general thing, ya know crazy idiots making everyone else suffer a stereotype label because they were pricks. It's sad that we can be thought as that

Heh heh this is funny! I don't understand the big fuss about Halo, bored me stupid. I think people should keep hating on it, because frankly if enough people show that they don't want to play generic, stupid games about flag fucking then the industry might throw us a few more scraps of original games

The confirmation of the existence of female spartans was actually all there in the manual (the manual in question being DoA4, with the secret fighter being a female spartan, basically designed as Master Chief but with a female voice).

The "Stop picking on the FPS/Stop "But Half-Life"ing me" challenge is actually a little difficult. I liked Halo: Reach and Combat Evolved, but purely because of a gameplay aspect. I won't lie, the writing is pretty bad and Halo 2 had me sick of the hyper-machismo before Gears of War was ever published. FPS games are easy prey for critics.

Let me think of the good ones...

Condemned: Criminal Origins, but that was more melee based.
BioShock had RPG elements and an element of strategy (Sort of) not seen in the typical"Gun down enemies with complete impunity because you have regenerating health" style of a lot of FPS games, but the difficulty curve got fucked once you had a full line-up of Plasmids and the Natural Camouflage Gene Tonic.
Fallout 3 also survived thanks to it's RPG elements and also had quite a bit of melee. It also had bugs out the ass.
Portal counts as a "But Half-Life" argument. I mean it's a great fucking game, but comparing Valve to the people at Infinity Ward or 3D Realms would be a massive insult.
Thief? Again, a little too sophisticated to play by the same rules as Halo.

...you know, the thing about the FPS genre is that it seems to be a total hit or miss on the single player, and we know you can just "But Team Fortress 2" and "But Counter Strike" him to death in that field for devout multiplayer FPS games.
...more Valve titles now that i think about it. I wonder if Bungie would have survived if Valve was more aggressive in advertising and did better commercially as far as games are concerned.

DevilWolf47:
The "Stop picking on the FPS/Stop "But Half-Life"ing me" challenge is actually a little difficult. I liked Halo: Reach and Combat Evolved, but purely because of a gameplay aspect. I won't lie, the writing is pretty bad and Halo 2 had me sick of the hyper-machismo before Gears of War was ever published. FPS games are easy prey for critics.

Let me think of the good ones...

Condemned: Criminal Origins, but that was more melee based.
BioShock had RPG elements and an element of strategy (Sort of) not seen in the typical"Gun down enemies with complete impunity because you have regenerating health" style of a lot of FPS games, but the difficulty curve got fucked once you had a full line-up of Plasmids and the Natural Camouflage Gene Tonic.
Fallout 3 also survived thanks to it's RPG elements and also had quite a bit of melee. It also had bugs out the ass.
Portal counts as a "But Half-Life" argument. I mean it's a great fucking game, but comparing Valve to the people at Infinity Ward or 3D Realms would be a massive insult.
Thief? Again, a little too sophisticated to play by the same rules as Halo.

...you know, the thing about the FPS genre is that it seems to be a total hit or miss on the single player, and we know you can just "But Team Fortress 2" and "But Counter Strike" him to death in that field for devout multiplayer FPS games.
...more Valve titles now that i think about it. I wonder if Bungie would have survived if Valve was more aggressive in advertising and did better commercially as far as games are concerned.

Can't find a FPS with fun game-play and a great story? Three words: The Marathon Trilogy. There, I just answered the question in less than 5 seconds. And guess who it's by too. That's right, Bungie themselves. This game is considered the spiritual predecessor to Halo, but it has a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more in depth storyline. I'd consider it what you would get if you crossed Half-Life, Halo, and System Shock together but with DOOM graphics. The game play and story is like Half-Life, you're controlled by a sadistic, sarcastic AI (like SHODAN or GLaDOS),
and it's universe has a lot similarities to the Halo universe.

If you haven't played Marathon, you're missing out, especially since the entire trilogy is absolutely free and can be played on PC, Mac, AND Linux.

Pages PREV 1 . . . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here