Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Charlie Brown reference = My excessive laughter.

I would like to agree with you thank you.

qbanknight:
interesting review, though you are very well justified in knocking the foamy-mouthed dickheaded group of people known as Halo Fans

There's nothing wrong with Halo fans, they're not all foaming at the mouth, must kill things now, type idiots. I really enjoyed the Halo games, I'm not going to argue that they're particularly original, but I do like a bit of space opera every now and then and I do think the music is incredible. Plus the gameplay suits my playstyle for multiplayer better than COD4. I will admit that I haven't played it recently and I didn't buy ODST because, apart from the Fireflyness, I found it difficult to get excited about.

About Halo:Legends I wasn't particularly hyped about it before and after seeing this review I still am not hyped about it, probably something to do with me disliking anime really, I kinda get why people like it, but I've yet to find anything of that sort that I can enjoy.

d319tm:

qbanknight:
interesting review, though you are very well justified in knocking the foamy-mouthed dickheaded group of people known as Halo Fans

There's nothing wrong with Halo fans, they're not all foaming at the mouth, must kill things now, type idiots. I really enjoyed the Halo games, I'm not going to argue that they're particularly original, but I do like a bit of space opera every now and then and I do think the music is incredible. Plus the gameplay suits my playstyle for multiplayer better than COD4. I will admit that I haven't played it recently and I didn't buy ODST because, apart from the Fireflyness, I found it difficult to get excited about.

About Halo:Legends I wasn't particularly hyped about it before and after seeing this review I still am not hyped about it, probably something to do with me disliking anime really, I kinda get why people like it, but I've yet to find anything of that sort that I can enjoy.

Then you sir, need to watch Baccano! right the hell now. The dub (which in deference to tradition, is not only good, it's better than the original audio) is up on Hulu for free. It's only 16 episodes long too.

Also rememer: Anime is not a genre. It's a medium.

Nightfalke:
B-b-b-but Deus Ex.

B-b-b-but Thief 2.

B-b-b-but System Shock.

Granted, none of these have been made in the last decade...

So I'll end with... B-b-b-but Bioshock?

I agree, but if you just look at the protagonist for Bioshock, he is mute and not massively fleshed out, but Rapture is a work of art. I think that Bioshock is one of the most beautiful games out there, just because of the way the art direction has been done.

lordlee:
[quote="d319tm" post="6.177289.5122243"]

Sorry for being slow, but what do you mean by a medium in this case?

mchoueiri:
With all due respect movie bob you review movies keep reviewing movies. Im sorry to say that you do not know much about video games. While I think halo legends does not look good that does not give reason to go after US made games and stereotype them since the west has a large range and variety of games. Not to sound rude but stick to reviewing movies and leave video games alone

So you've never seen his Game Overthinker series on Screwattack? Where he doesn't review games but looks at the issues around them, such as portrayal of women, lack of minority characters, and even criticizing his own precious Nintendo?

On another note, Bob, your thoughts on the Iron Man and Wolverine anime projects? Produced by Madhouse, and I've yet to hear anything recent, but hey, it's still on the table.

d319tm:

lordlee:

I mean it's no different than books, movies, or games. It's just another medium for storytelling. There's lots of different genres for it, where everyone seems to think they are all about little girls with breasts larger than their bodies in giant robots.

To contrast: Baccano is about mobsters. Oh, and the first episode is a bit confusing, so don't be turned off by it.

So basically this is The Animatrix. Nothing special and totally worth missing out on except for one, maybe two shorts. Oh and by the way, the Duel sucked xD It looked pretty in the beginning, but it only got more and more confusing until it was ridiculous. Not to mention the story is a rehash of every samurai cliché ever invented.

This has officially made me interested in seeing Halo Legends...

Good job, M-Bob...

lordlee:

d319tm:

lordlee:

I mean it's no different than books, movies, or games. It's just another medium for storytelling. There's lots of different genres for it, where everyone seems to think they are all about little girls with breasts larger than their bodies in giant robots.

To contrast: Baccano is about mobsters. Oh, and the first episode is a bit confusing, so don't be turned off by it.

Quoted for truth. Here's another way to think about it:

Imagine filling a burlap sack with every single cliche you've come to accept about anime: giant robots, superpowered samurai, teenagers wielding weapons of mass destruction, legions of women fawning over sexually inert men, gratuitous and unecessary diversions to the beach/pool, etc. Then, imagine a show that takes that sack, ties it to a cinder block, and then throws it off the end of a pier. That show is basically Baccano!

I can't wait to see it. As soon as I get home from work tonight, I'll scope it out on netflix.

b-b-b-but Valve is over-rated.

Mantonio:
There's gonna be a massive fallout about your view of all Western character designs being bald generic space marines, that's for sure.

Sadly, western character designs are largely generic macho space marines. These days it seems to be either that or custom characters a la Mass Effect. (I know which one I prefer.) The only fallout I think you'll get there would be of the "but I like generic macho space marines!!" variety.

I do object, though, to the assertion that Japanese designs are any more varied. Few recently introduced japanese game characters don't fall into the "spunky, hair-gelled pubescent" or "anthropomorphic cartoon fantasy animal" categories. (Keep in mind that legacy characters like Mario don't count.)

lordlee:

With due respect, animation is the medium. You could argue that anime is a movement rather than a genre (which is kind of a silly distinction to make), but it's demonstrably not a new medium.

good job MB, you made me care enough about Legends to actually take a look at it when it comes out in the UK (assuming there's a delay in release as per usual)

my argument for "b-b-b-b-but FPS" is "i play FPSs to shoot up, kill, destroy and otherwise bring ruin to shit" i don't give two tugs of a dead dogs cock about story in an FPS, be it in single or multiplayer

DoctorDisaster:

Mantonio:
There's gonna be a massive fallout about your view of all Western character designs being bald generic space marines, that's for sure.

Sadly, western character designs are largely generic macho space marines. These days it seems to be either that or custom characters a la Mass Effect. (I know which one I prefer.) The only fallout I think you'll get there would be of the "but I like generic macho space marines!!" variety.

I do object, though, to the assertion that Japanese designs are any more varied. Few recently introduced japanese game characters don't fall into the "spunky, hair-gelled pubescent" or "anthropomorphic cartoon fantasy animal" categories. (Keep in mind that legacy characters like Mario don't count.)

lordlee:

With due respect, animation is the medium. You could argue that anime is a movement rather than a genre (which is kind of a silly distinction to make), but it's demonstrably not a new medium.

Genre refers to storytelling, not style. Granted, movement is more accurate, but even in anime there's numerous different styles. And that's not even getting into the numerous different artstyles in manga.

Moviebob, I officially love you now. Granted, I loved your videos before, but your absolutely dead-on commentary on the "ghey anime will ruin our Haloz" brouhaha, not to mention the general East vs. West thing, is nothing short of brilliant, even moreso a much-needed necessity.

As for Halo Legends, I wasn't interested before, but I kinda am now since it seems to take the piss out of the aforementioned Halo fanboys.

TimeSplitters 2, buddy. That's all I'm sayin'.

Also, please use the picture that accompanied "you mean there's a single player" every chance you get. It adds to my happy.

mchoueiri:
With all due respect movie bob you review movies keep reviewing movies. Im sorry to say that you do not know much about video games. While I think halo legends does not look good that does not give reason to go after US made games and stereotype them since the west has a large range and variety of games. Not to sound rude but stick to reviewing movies and leave video games alone

you obviously don;t know much about moviebob, he has a whole other blog and series of videos on screw attack called "The game overthinker" you're kinda late to tell him to stay out of games by about, 2 years or so.

I have to admit, I've seen Halo: Legends and, really, I enjoyed the hell out of most of it. Yeah, there were a couple duds in there. For me, one of them was The Duel. I was interesting and had interesting concepts, but the art style just didn't work for me. Plus, I find it rather odd that apparently the Sangheili had a society who armored its warriors exactly the same as Japan did a couple hundred years ago. But maybe that's just me.

And if you think Halo is all about a bunch of super manly men grunting super manly thing and being the manly epitome of manliness whilst wielding manly guns and giving each other manly man pats on the ass like manly football players at the MANLIEST SPORTING EVENT IN THE WORLD, then you've not read either of the books that Eric Nylund wrote. They're both all about the humanity of the whole thing and, really, the paradoxical tragedy and salvation that was the SPARTAN-II project.

As a note to all of you itching to call me a rabid fanboy: I loved Halo:CE. Halo 2 was bad. Halo 3 was meh. They'd both been done before, and better, by their progenitor.

It was really hard to hear what he was saying over the sound of Japan's balls furiously smacking against his chin.

But however, in all seriousness, Fuck Japan.

Odoylerules360:
It was really hard to hear what he was saying over the sound of Japan's balls furiously smacking against his chin.

oh ho? what excatly are your problems with the country from which half of my family comes from? awfully chauvinistic statement you're making there buddy

I love that you use the term "Halo trolls" in the same point as an image of someone crying with the whole "waah" thing going on, which is pretty much the biggest example I can think of being a troll. Only you're doing it to the people you call trolls. I love the sense of irony you are conjouring up. Hilarious.

Of course, I've never actually seen one of these mythical Halo trolls, which leads me to believe that you're talking about the anti-Halo trolls who pop up so regularly and with the tedious inevitability of a dick joke in a Zero Punctuation episode. With that in mind, I can at least see how you connected trolls and Halo, but I thought you were smart enough to work out that all the trolls think hating Halo is cool, not the other way round.

Wait Wait Wait....

Halo has a single Player!!

I do not accept your challenge!
But I will say while Halo is nothing more than Aliens Knocking up Starship troopers. Can;t really claim its cliche in gaming terms... Since it pretty much defined those cliches in games.

Ugh, my two least favourite things. Halo story telling, and Japanese art direction. God I hate anime. And Halo is boring in the extreme. It just goes to show you how far personal opinion can differ. Someone who enjoyed Halo AND anime could not be further from me on any scale.

Sorry if this comment didn't add much to the discussion, but I think its amazing that someone out there enjoyed this.

[quote="wildcard9" post="6.177289.5122133"I think that would be a little more to your likings Moviebob, as I can personally tell you that if XBOX live is full of imature trolls, at least PC online is a bit better.[/quote]

Counter-Strike begs to differ.

Anyway, I'm renting Halo Legends from Netflix after I've shown my family Citizen Kane. I've got a minor interest in it, but considering I only really liked one story out of the Batman shorts I'm not going to assume this is going to be all that good.

Halo does have the opportunity for some great story-telling. The plot for the marines is, for the most part, boring as opposed to the more interesting Covenant (the side that, for some reason, no one ever wants to explore and in fact hated seeing explored in Halo 2). Halo 3 completely dropped the ball and had an ass for a story altogether.

What gets me is that whoever they get to do the commercials captures the real potential of the franchise better. I absolutely love the full advertisement for ODST, how it begins with the funeral of a young man's father, shows him training, going to war, nearly dying, and then the very last shot that says it all without words. He's older, buried yet another of his friends in an endless fight. Gun fire is heard in the distance, and the man dons his helmet as if to say "same old song and dance" while the younger marine, not yet embittered by the experience, gears up with purpose, believing that they can still make a difference.

It's a series of depressing emotions that the Halo universe COULD capture incredibly well, and the ODST game ALMOST captures (seriously, ODST >>>>>> Halo 3). Unfortunately, the game has to instead focus on the Master Chief being some sort of bad ass.

Holy shit I just realized they didn't just steal the Halo Ring from Larry Niven's Ringworld, but even that one chick's "special ability" being how incredibly lucky she is. Wow, good job Bungie. You didn't even make good use of that plagiarization.

Crunchy English:
Ugh, my two least favourite things. Halo story telling, and Japanese art direction. God I hate anime. And Halo is boring in the extreme. It just goes to show you how far personal opinion can differ. Someone who enjoyed Halo AND anime could not be further from me on any scale.

Sorry if this comment didn't add much to the discussion, but I think its amazing that someone out there enjoyed this.

>Implying there is only one Japanese art direction
>implying you can hate an entire medium and that you haven't just seen an episode of Lucky Star and declared the whole thing moot

JaredXE:
I think I'm going to rent it. See, I am one of those few Halo fans that actually have both common sense and a sense of the ridiculious. I don't play Halo because it's a FPS, I play it for the story. I play it multiplayer, but not XBL because I detest Halo fans and the kids on XBL in general.

Btw: OMFGBBQWTF, there ARE female spartans.....as they have already established before. So if anybody is surprised....then they are mentally retarded.

Really, this comment said it the best for me.

Anyway, i'll probably pick this up, mainly since Halo holds a special place in my heart, and partly becuase alot of these stories seem rather interesting. (Although some seem, Bleh...)

I don't like that trend started by Animatrix and followed by Gotham Knight.
In the later case, they totally ignored what Batman is in favor of putting their anime signature style to it. It brought nothing worthy to the batman universe.
At least Animatrix brought us deeper in the Matrix universe (wheter you like the Matrix movies or not, it doesn't matter, because it really did brought something new to the story).
An now this? It's all hell breaks loose! Halo as no story to begin with... basically what Legends seems to be is just "Let's take the characters, stick our visuals to it and come up with whatever silly story we can!"... well, I'm not buying it. At all.
I'm not saying there is no enjoyment to be found here... simply that if you like Halo... it's not going to bring something that goes with the reasons why you like it and if you like anime... there are probably better one than this one.

the_baku_eats_dreams:

Odoylerules360:

oh ho? what excatly are your problems with the country from which half of my family comes from? awfully chauvinistic statement you're making there buddy

I don't think you mean "Chauvinistic"... prejudiced maybe, or racist even. I think Chauvinist only refers to an assumed superiority of one's own nation, not an irrational dislike of another culture. I would like to throw it out there though, that Japan is one of the most Chauvinist nations going, which makes your statement pleasingly ironic.

Also, I think Moviebob was fairly clear in his bias, it doesn't necessarily act as a detriment to a piece rooted so firmly in his personal opinion to begin with.

Personally, I agree with an anti-japan sentiment mostly, their entire culture scares the shit out of me. Then again, I don't hold my personal opinion to be the end all, be all. More than likely, I'm just too set in my western ways to "get it".

lordlee:

DoctorDisaster:

lordlee:

Genre refers to storytelling, not style. Granted, movement is more accurate, but even in anime there's numerous different styles. And that's not even getting into the numerous different artstyles in manga.

Anime certainly does contain different storytelling styles! But give genres some credit; many are quite broad. "Action" is a genre which encompasses everything from bare-knuckle beat-em-ups to balletic wire choreography. I'd go so far as to say that the nice thing about the word "genre" is that it can refer to something as specific as "German abstract impressionism" or as all-encompassing as "romance." It's just a way of finding connections between different works of art.

I guess the reason I bring this up is because it's unnecessary to set certain kinds of work apart and say "this is special and different; it warrants unique consideration." It's much more interesting to treat everything as interconnected, regardless of the quirks of style, story, geographic origin, and what-have-you.

lordlee:

Crunchy English:

>implying you can hate an entire medium and that you haven't just seen an episode of Lucky Star and declared the whole thing moot

Now that's not fair. I've been exposed to a LOT of this shit. I am a gamer after all. And it's not as though I haven't given anime a fair shake. Trigun, a couple Gundam series, and that weird World War one where all the countries are personified? DBZ, if that counts? The point is, I don't like it. And that's ok man. That's my whole point. Obviously someone likes it, and that's enough to justify its existence.

The fact that I hate it is completely irrelevant.

DoctorDisaster:

lordlee:

DoctorDisaster:

lordlee:

Anime certainly does contain different storytelling styles! But give genres some credit; many are quite broad. "Action" is a genre which encompasses everything from bare-knuckle beat-em-ups to balletic wire choreography. I'd go so far as to say that the nice thing about the word "genre" is that it can refer to something as specific as "German abstract impressionism" or as all-encompassing as "romance." It's just a way of finding connections between different works of art.

I guess the reason I bring this up is because it's unnecessary to set certain kinds of work apart and say "this is special and different; it warrants unique consideration." It's much more interesting to treat everything as interconnected, regardless of the quirks of style, story, geographic origin, and what-have-you.

And I wholeheartedly agree. My point is that a lot of people think that just because something comes from Japan, it's going to be pedophilia or about giant robots (also apparently there are people that consider the latter a bad thing).

Crunchy English:

lordlee:

Crunchy English:

Now that's not fair. I've been exposed to a LOT of this shit. I am a gamer after all. And it's not as though I haven't given anime a fair shake. Trigun, a couple Gundam series, and that weird World War one where all the countries are personified? DBZ, if that counts? The point is, I don't like it. And that's ok man. That's my whole point. Obviously someone likes it, and that's enough to justify its existence.

The fact that I hate it is completely irrelevant.

But those are all more or less the same genre, except Hetalia (which I can only wonder how you saw it). Try Tokyo Godfathers, Metropolis, Baccano, or Princess Mononoke.

MovieBob:
Halo Legends

This week MovieBob takes a look at the animated Halo Legends.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission.

Watch Video

I didn't expect a glowing review, since you don't like Halo. To each his own there.

But, honestly, have you been lighting up schoolgirl panties and smoking them? The West's preoccupation with preposterone is huge and unforgiving, but the idea that Japan is the hero of "everything else" is nauseatingly extreme.

Though I suppose "everything else" DOES include pedophiliac cartoon porn, uniformly heinous voice acting, and raising a generation of youth so obsessed with cosplaying that they forget to fuck and end up shrinking the national population.

My outrage strikes me as a bit ironic, since literally everything you liked or did not like about Halo Legends matches my objective opinion without exception. But I'm not going to ignore your decision to paint Japan as the champion of all thing cerebral while ignoring its glaring and unsettling faults, and highlighting your own culture's missteps while omitting its tremendous successes.

Such a small offhand comment on your part. Yet so loaded, and so telling. Maybe I haven't always agreed with you Mr. Chipman, but this is an opinion I can't even respect.

Roger Ebert, is that you?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or