Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

agreed, most of them are worth watching, although I liked "The package" best canon-wise and yes, "Homecoming" plot-wise :)

I loved Halo legends, personally. then again, Im a huge Halo fanboy and i love teh animez.

I actually agreed with this 100%.

Awesome review

So you liked the ones that slapped Halo into different mindset, and disliked the ones where it remained just Halo.

I agree.

I must say I like the way MovieBob approached this review. While Halo Legends certainly isn't anywhere near as good as Animatrix (particularity owing to, lets face it, the dull source material that is the Halo franchise), it's an interesting experiment and bizarre social turn-around. I can't even remember the last time Japan took a crack at an American franchise (at least, since the Animatrix).

It's almost as if Japan is getting revenge on the West for turning it's numerous franchises into dull Americanized remakes, a revenge that we've admittedly had coming for quite some time (see Silent Hill: Homecoming and the U.S. remake of One Missed Call if you're not convinced).

Despite MovieBob's discrepancy for Halo (which I'm willing to tolerate because, quite frankly, who on earth plays Halo for the story?) I think he nailed this review. Well done!

In addition to MovieBob's statements, I'd recommend Halo Legends to any Halo fan who wants to convince himself that the franchise still has some storytelling merit. It's no masterpiece, but unless you're a brainless idiot (like the majority of the underage Halo populace) you might enjoy it, or at least recognize it as a decent work of animation.

mchoueiri:
With all due respect movie bob you review movies keep reviewing movies. Im sorry to say that you do not know much about video games. While I think halo legends does not look good that does not give reason to go after US made games and stereotype them since the west has a large range and variety of games. Not to sound rude but stick to reviewing movies and leave video games alone

Ha, your starting to sound like that goth girl. :P

"Leave video games aloooone!" Lawl.

Yay! You said "Ender's Game". Otherwise, Halo Legends is in the exact same place on my rental list as it was, with the other 100 "wouldn't mind watching" titles.

lordlee:

DoctorDisaster:

lordlee:

DoctorDisaster:

lordlee:
Also rememer: Anime is not a genre. It's a medium.

With due respect, animation is the medium. You could argue that anime is a movement rather than a genre (which is kind of a silly distinction to make), but it's demonstrably not a new medium.

Genre refers to storytelling, not style. Granted, movement is more accurate, but even in anime there's numerous different styles. And that's not even getting into the numerous different artstyles in manga.

Anime certainly does contain different storytelling styles! But give genres some credit; many are quite broad. "Action" is a genre which encompasses everything from bare-knuckle beat-em-ups to balletic wire choreography. I'd go so far as to say that the nice thing about the word "genre" is that it can refer to something as specific as "German abstract impressionism" or as all-encompassing as "romance." It's just a way of finding connections between different works of art.

I guess the reason I bring this up is because it's unnecessary to set certain kinds of work apart and say "this is special and different; it warrants unique consideration." It's much more interesting to treat everything as interconnected, regardless of the quirks of style, story, geographic origin, and what-have-you.

And I wholeheartedly agree. My point is that a lot of people think that just because something comes from Japan, it's going to be pedophilia or about giant robots (also apparently there are people that consider the latter a bad thing).

Crunchy English:

lordlee:

Crunchy English:
Ugh, my two least favourite things. Halo story telling, and Japanese art direction. God I hate anime. And Halo is boring in the extreme. It just goes to show you how far personal opinion can differ. Someone who enjoyed Halo AND anime could not be further from me on any scale.

Sorry if this comment didn't add much to the discussion, but I think its amazing that someone out there enjoyed this.

>Implying there is only one Japanese art direction
>implying you can hate an entire medium and that you haven't just seen an episode of Lucky Star and declared the whole thing moot

Now that's not fair. I've been exposed to a LOT of this shit. I am a gamer after all. And it's not as though I haven't given anime a fair shake. Trigun, a couple Gundam series, and that weird World War one where all the countries are personified? DBZ, if that counts? The point is, I don't like it. And that's ok man. That's my whole point. Obviously someone likes it, and that's enough to justify its existence.

The fact that I hate it is completely irrelevant.

But those are all more or less the same genre, except Hetalia (which I can only wonder how you saw it). Try Tokyo Godfathers, Metropolis, Baccano, or Princess Mononoke.

Oh I totally saw Princess Mononoke on TV! and my girlfriend made me watch Metropolis too. See, I work in a video game store and my girlfriend and my co-worker (it's a small store so it's just us and the manager) both watch and read a ton of this stuff. In fact my co-worker was a japanese studies major in university. I can't say I've seen Tokyo Godfathers though, or Baccano. I probably never will, in fact.

But I just mean to say, I didn't make a snap decision about it, I really don't care for it. And that's not a big deal. I like Batman: TAS, Batman Beyond and old episodes of Darkwing Duck. I like MST3K and and James Bond Movies. I bet you a dozen people will happily volunteer right here and now to say they HATE all that stuff! The great thing about the internet is that we're all exposed to view points that are radically different from our own.

I had one issue with this review--when Bob was discussing Western Vs. Japanese character designs, he totally glossed over Western comic books (Superheroes), which would've been forgivable if right before then he hadn't shown art from Marvel Vs. Capcom. 'Cause, you know, the MARVEL part is important there.

Otherwise, I thought this review was pretty good, though at some points it seemed that he was cycling through the stories quickly, only to return to each of them over and over. (Did that make sense?)

Also--and maybe this is just me being the jackass I am, but does this review strike anyone as a pretty cynical attempt for a movie critic to stay relevant on a site based around video games whose members are all pretty jaded to the Halo games? Not that bashing Halo isn't justified, I was just pretty surprised as to the subject of this week's review and was wondering about the reasoning behind it.

Crunchy English:

lordlee:

DoctorDisaster:

lordlee:

DoctorDisaster:

lordlee:
Also rememer: Anime is not a genre. It's a medium.

With due respect, animation is the medium. You could argue that anime is a movement rather than a genre (which is kind of a silly distinction to make), but it's demonstrably not a new medium.

Genre refers to storytelling, not style. Granted, movement is more accurate, but even in anime there's numerous different styles. And that's not even getting into the numerous different artstyles in manga.

Anime certainly does contain different storytelling styles! But give genres some credit; many are quite broad. "Action" is a genre which encompasses everything from bare-knuckle beat-em-ups to balletic wire choreography. I'd go so far as to say that the nice thing about the word "genre" is that it can refer to something as specific as "German abstract impressionism" or as all-encompassing as "romance." It's just a way of finding connections between different works of art.

I guess the reason I bring this up is because it's unnecessary to set certain kinds of work apart and say "this is special and different; it warrants unique consideration." It's much more interesting to treat everything as interconnected, regardless of the quirks of style, story, geographic origin, and what-have-you.

And I wholeheartedly agree. My point is that a lot of people think that just because something comes from Japan, it's going to be pedophilia or about giant robots (also apparently there are people that consider the latter a bad thing).

Crunchy English:

lordlee:

Crunchy English:
Ugh, my two least favourite things. Halo story telling, and Japanese art direction. God I hate anime. And Halo is boring in the extreme. It just goes to show you how far personal opinion can differ. Someone who enjoyed Halo AND anime could not be further from me on any scale.

Sorry if this comment didn't add much to the discussion, but I think its amazing that someone out there enjoyed this.

>Implying there is only one Japanese art direction
>implying you can hate an entire medium and that you haven't just seen an episode of Lucky Star and declared the whole thing moot

Now that's not fair. I've been exposed to a LOT of this shit. I am a gamer after all. And it's not as though I haven't given anime a fair shake. Trigun, a couple Gundam series, and that weird World War one where all the countries are personified? DBZ, if that counts? The point is, I don't like it. And that's ok man. That's my whole point. Obviously someone likes it, and that's enough to justify its existence.

The fact that I hate it is completely irrelevant.

But those are all more or less the same genre, except Hetalia (which I can only wonder how you saw it). Try Tokyo Godfathers, Metropolis, Baccano, or Princess Mononoke.

Oh I totally saw Princess Mononoke on TV! and my girlfriend made me watch Metropolis too. See, I work in a video game store and my girlfriend and my co-worker (it's a small store so it's just us and the manager) both watch and read a ton of this stuff. In fact my co-worker was a japanese studies major in university. I can't say I've seen Tokyo Godfathers though, or Baccano. I probably never will, in fact.

But I just mean to say, I didn't make a snap decision about it, I really don't care for it. And that's not a big deal. I like Batman: TAS, Batman Beyond and old episodes of Darkwing Duck. I like MST3K and and James Bond Movies. I bet you a dozen people will happily volunteer right here and now to say they HATE all that stuff! The great thing about the internet is that we're all exposed to view points that are radically different from our own.

My objection is not that you dislike something (I for example LOVE Trigun but understand why others might not), but that you are dismissing it because it's Japanese. Works should be tried and examined regardless of origin.

Also, only monsters would claim to dislike Darkwing Duck, MST3K, or the DCAU.

paragon1:

Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

Some of those are not FPS.

OT: Weird review, didn't expect Halo Legends to be this week's review.

Teh Blasta:

paragon1:

Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

He was just listing Western games.

Halo Legends was AWESOME! The BEST one being Odd Man Out and the Package....the WORST one was the Dual. It just plain SUCKED. The rest were pretty good.

will probley buy it. it is intresting that halos story is alwas better in the expanded fiction than the games for example the novels

I am a big Halo fan (but not fanboy tyvm) but I was very underwhelmed and disappointed by the episodes they showed on waypoint. The animation was only passable at best, the voice acting was bland, and the continuity very suspect.

And to Bob and anyone who is not a halo fan, Origins is a lie. It goes against everything you're told in the games. If you hoped for it to explain the Halo backstory for you then you were sadly misled. Even if you look over that it's still boring, ugly, and stupid.

I expected this to be terrible. I mean, Halo might be the most hacked up, generic FPS around. ANY Halo movie I was expecting to be a piece of crap. Methinks Japan wanted to mess with us. I can see it now... "YEAH! That'll teach em to make fun of mario!"

Must....resist....urge....to.....gut.....MovieBob......

lordlee:

Teh Blasta:

paragon1:

Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

He was just listing Western games.

Well, Bob seems to be using shooters and apparently Madden as the only genres of Western gaming, so I figured keeping it within those boundaries would make a good argument. Being that he is criticizing Halo as being an example of poor Western games I'd say the proper response would be to name a "good" FPS. Rather than saying, "you're wrong, the West has many good games in other genres", you could just say "these Western games in those specific genres are great, Bob you should look at these games as shinning examples" it would be a better argument. Didn't I say that in my first post? ;P

cball11:
But I'm not going to ignore your decision to paint Japan as the champion of all thing cerebral while ignoring its glaring and unsettling faults, and highlighting your own culture's missteps while omitting its tremendous successes.

Not to jump to my own defense or anything, but just to be clear I AM speaking exclusively of video games here. You can do the Japan vs. The West back-and-forth all day long over just about anything else, but in my estimation in the lone realm of designing varied game characters Japan is pretty damn dominant. Go look at a rundown of the most-recent "Smash Bros." title - the roster of which includes characters of types as different as bad-ass soldiers, female space-armor heroes, retro-cartoons, magical-girls, animorphic animals, fantasy knights, elves, pink puffballs... and not only do they ALL come from Japanese roots, all but two are from the SAME COMPANY.

Personally, I'm thankful that they finally elaborated on the Halo back story. The Second Renaissance was my favorite part of the Animatrix and I'm glad to that the story of Halo is getting some attention.

I usually only play single player on Halo games with an occasional death match with friends, but the whole online multiplayer only, hardcore, big manly (bordering idiotic) sub section of the fan-base as always irritated me. Also, I'm glad they included a female spartan simply because the whole concept feels a bit more realistic since female Spartans and even the spartan project never really get mentioned with any detail in the games.

MovieBob:

cball11:
But I'm not going to ignore your decision to paint Japan as the champion of all thing cerebral while ignoring its glaring and unsettling faults, and highlighting your own culture's missteps while omitting its tremendous successes.

Not to jump to my own defense or anything, but just to be clear I AM speaking exclusively of video games here. You can do the Japan vs. The West back-and-forth all day long over just about anything else, but in my estimation in the lone realm of designing varied game characters Japan is pretty damn dominant. Go look at a rundown of the most-recent "Smash Bros." title - the roster of which includes characters of types as different as bad-ass soldiers, female space-armor heroes, retro-cartoons, magical-girls, animorphic animals, fantasy knights, elves, pink puffballs... and not only do they ALL come from Japanese roots, all but two are from the SAME COMPANY.

I would, in general agree, but you ARE committing a fair bit of omission here all the same Bob.

I went to the store last week, and said to myself, "I'm a halo fan, I'll buy it, and if it sucks, I have lost all faith in the series." It's a good thing I was wrong, because I really, really enjoyed it. The only one I kinda had problems with was The Duel, only because the style they did it in just bothered me, and the actual "duel" took fooooreeeeveeer. But Overall, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Good review, I'm glad it's not another person tearing it a new one.

RAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUULLLLLLLLLL
*ROFL*

Plurralbles:
OMG MONSTER RANCHER REFERENCE AND EVENGELION!

And I thought I was the only one who watched Monster Rancher as a kid...

Interesting review, it's good to see the narrative depth of Halo actually expand, too bad all the Japan hate will kill the idea of having 2 or God-forbid 3 dimensional characters.

MovieBob:

cball11:

Hey man, look at all the Star Wars games there have been. Look at the plethora of wildly varied, interesting, 3-dimensional characters we have there. Just look at how many of those come from KOTOR 2 The Sith Lords, alone. You have just as many totally different characters, in terms of story, look, motivation, what-have-you and that's just from one game, from one company, from one mythos. If Brawl is what we're comparing that to, remember that Nintendo had to pull out all stops and dig up every great character they've had in the entirety of their video game making career to do what they did. I think it's also worth mentioning that they just keep doing that. How many Mario and Zelda games are there now?

Moviebob, you forget about Close Range, which tells a story that is deep and layered, like a Chicago style pizza or a lasagna, about a man who shoots people in the face because of his troubling emotions and because they took his brother or something.

Stop picking on FPS's!
...b-b-but System Shock 2!
...b-b-but Tron 2.0!
...b-b-but STALKER!
...b-b-but Deus Ex!

When I rented the dvd my friend said it drags. Even though it's true I still enjoyed watching it. In the 1337 episode I was just expecting the spartan or the teen kids to energy blast that mutated brute. I'm waiting for the Bioshock, Grand Theft Auto, Left 4 Dead, and Team Fortress 2 versions.

Dante's Inferno felt more like a walkthrough with different animation styles.

I guess I'm one of two people that has "The Package" as a personal favorite. Dusting off my inner fanboy, I thought "The Duel" was hard to watch visually and a very faulty portrayal of the Elites in general. That aren't space samurai, that's all I'm sayin'.

As for "Homecoming"... eh. Interesting idea, but more flaws with the rest of canon. Flash clones lived for about a year before suffering total metabolic failure and dying. Before that, they couldn't walk, talk, or do anything the real versions could do; newborn minds in child bodies. If I recall correctly, they usually tried to cover up the switch by making it look like some kind of crippling accident.

So, yes, I suppose I'm griping they didn't stick close to the source material, and there might be a little "You got anime in my Halo" along with it, but I guess that's just what happens when pop cultures collide. (BTW, I'm not anti-anime; animesuki's been my home page for years now.)

And yep, despite my gripes here, I did catch as much of the pre-release stuff on Live as I could, and I did get the (deluxe) version of the DVD.

Honestly, my biggest gripe with the whole affair is just how many times the humans get their asses kicked. True, it's one of the few things that is actually canonically accurate, but it makes watching the entire thing start to finish kinda depressing, and probably is what bolstered my enjoyment of "The Package": THEY WIN.

Oh no, teddy bears and flowers! Not them! Kill it with fire!

PURGE THE GROUND IT WALKS!

I don't really give a flying fuck about Halo, but I am utterly sick of Bob's Wapanese attitude to everything western.

Doug:
I don't really give a flying fuck about Halo, but I am utterly sick of Bob's Wapanese attitude to everything western.

Consider yourself very lucky I didn't have this job back when they remade "Godzilla" ;)

qbanknight:
interesting review, though you are very well justified in knocking the foamy-mouthed dickheaded group of people known as Halo Fans

That's not very nice to say. Some Halo fans, such as myself, are reasonable normal human folk.

OT: I think that Movie Bob should have reviewed Halo Legends in more detail rather than spending as much time as he did essentially just saying, "Teh Haloz fanz r teh sux and teh Japanz pwned tehmz by makinz teh Haloz animez!!!! LOLZ!!!"

As a person who is quite familiar with the Halo story and expanded universe, not expert just familiar, I always find it rather offensive when people say that Halo has a shitty story and it's always this, "oh they stole this from that!" Sure they did, it's called influence, and they don't steal it or rip it off they take it and make it their own. To make a comparison, I'm sure most of us like Quentin Tarantino films, I know for a fact that Movie Bob does, well Quentin Tarantino has said in interviews that the way he makes his movies is that he steals scenes from his favorite movies and puts them all together into a cohesive story. He isn't making anything new, just using his influences to create something that is his. That's really all I see Bungie doing with Halo and I think they do it rather well.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here