Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

BEASTMAN SP:

qbanknight:
interesting review, though you are very well justified in knocking the foamy-mouthed dickheaded group of people known as Halo Fans

Watch the stereotypes, buddy. I'm a fan of the series, but I'd like to think that I behave myself better than most of the steaming morass that is the XBox Live community. Not all Halo fans are preadolescents shrieking obscenities, you know.

sadly, though you're wrong. its either squeeky preteens or over competitive MLG douches. i'dsay the cool levelheaded normal person percent halo fans (or Xbox live community) is probably about 15%.maybe

Comparing Nintendo to Halo/Gears in terms of character design seems to me to be reaching for the lowest hanging fruit. You're comparing the character lineup of 25 years worth of games to two single game series. Even putting aside for the moment Nintendo's propensity for reusing character designs, your two examples simply aren't representative of the two sides as a whole.

Your argument is every bit as disingenuous as it would be for me to compare Square Enix to Tim Schafer and conclude that the Japanese need to learn to make games that aren't centered around spikey haired androgynes.

Doug:
I don't really give a flying fuck about Halo, but I am utterly sick of Bob's Wapanese attitude to everything western.

I take it you never saw his "9" review, though I will admit, as said earlier in this thread, that he glossed over some depth on the western side. Of course, his hate is more towards FPS's and their aesthetic than anything (I watch his Game Overthinker videos, he hates them all with the exception of Bioshock).

Yelchor:
Snipped for space

Hey Yelchor, you've become a bit of a Moviebob fan haven't you?

That aside, while I can't go point-by-point with you as I haven't actually played the Halo games beyond some co-op sessions (never had an Xbox), I somewhat agree with you on the depth of the series; maybe it's just because my experience with Halo was when I was 11 at a friends house, but for me it seemed to have an interesting sci-fi plot and backstory. Your bit about the Covenant's socio-political structure adds to this view.

As for Halo Legends, I'm pretty sure it is trying to reach new audiences, what with money and all, but in response to the "hack and slash settings" comment, I have to add that despite its backstory and universe it's still based on an FPS where a notable weapon is a beam-sword, and thus will contain a good bit of that. Also, you might have been referring to Toei's short, in which case it's supposed to be rather silly and Dragonball Z-esque.

Of course, I'd have to disagree with you on humanizing the Spartans. While they were taken away and raised to serve the military, they're still fundamentally human and would have human emotions; cybernetic modifications to their bodies would not change this. Personally I like that it makes them deeper than the 1-dimensional machismo-men Moviebob complained about, though it should be kept to side-stories and somewhat disconnected things like this as Halo's less about characters and more about the humans vs. aliens conflict and overall military/sci-fi things.

A random person:

Doug:
I don't really give a flying fuck about Halo, but I am utterly sick of Bob's Wapanese attitude to everything western.

I take it you never saw his "9" review, though I will admit, as said earlier in this thread, that he glossed over some depth on the western side. Of course, his hate is more towards FPS's and their aesthetic than anything (I watch his Game Overthinker videos, he hates them all with the exception of Bioshock).

He SPECIFICALLY stated that Western games consist only of Space-marine-tough-guy games in this review - the examples he gave where Halo and Gears of Wars.

Amazingly, there are more Western games than that. Its like me saying "All J- Games are just angsty 13 year olds trying to screw their adopted sisters" - not true (as far as I'm aware) for anything more than a small number of games.

EDIT: And I have seen his 9 review, but not in awhile.

I am very disappointed. Call me paranoid, but I feel like this review was twisted by a hateful bias of MovieBob's against Halo. It sounds like he was praising Legends solely for going completely against what Halo is known for and pissing off all the Halo fanboys. Little praise of the episodes themselves was actually done. If antagonizing a group of people you don't like makes something great, maybe Nazi Germany was a much better place than we give it credit for.

Now I will admit that I only saw the first Legends episode, but it doesn't matter much because my opinion of all the episodes will be heavily affected by the fact that I simply don't like anime. In discussing that first episode I found myself unable to describe why I don't like anime, but I am just extremely unimpressed by it. I've heard there are some good animes, which I've never seen, but Legends seems to be characteristic of the ones I have seen and disliked: predictably, hackneyed, and corny stories and writing that seems more suited to a children's show. Plus even I could tell the animation was very mediocre for any animated show.

My opinion of anime out of the way though, the very same reason MovieBob seemed to like Legends, its standing in complete opposition to what has formerly been known as Halo, seems like a very big mistake to me. From what I could tell of the other episodes from the review, it sounds like they are completely perverting Halo and making it into a pussified emotional touchy-feely story rather than a (relatively) gritty tale of galactic warfare. Though there was some heavy connotation in my previous sentence showing which I prefer, I am not necessarily saying one is better than the other. My point is that there was no logical reason to change up Halo so drastically and disappoint most of its original fan base. That's simply not a good idea to do with anything, and though some may call it "interesting" I consider it a poorly thought out idea or simply a massive blunder.

As a disclaimer, I should mention that I am in no way a Halo fanboy; in fact I have come to hate the series for being a very generic and unimpressive shooter whose multiplayer is populated by the most immature and annoying little children in existence, making it virtually unplayable for me. So I assure you there is no personal bias present in my previous statements. Except possibly the one against anime, but I plainly called that to attention and did my best to not criticize Halo Legends solely because of being an anime.

Doug:

A random person:

Doug:

He SPECIFICALLY stated that Western games consist only of Space-marine-tough-guy games in this review - the examples he gave where Halo and Gears of Wars.

Amazingly, there are more Western games than that. Its like me saying "All J- Games are just angsty 13 year olds trying to screw their adopted sisters" - not true (as far as I'm aware) for anything more than a small number of games.

EDIT: And I have seen his 9 review, but not in awhile.

Part of me thinks he was being a bit comedic there, though again, I agree with you that it's not true, and my objection was more towards your claim that he had a wapanese attitude hence my mentioning his "9" review (he HATES hardcore Japanophiles, and let me say that he is far from one).

at first I thought "ho god, he's trolling again." but you actually handled it pretty well, so I'll give you a cookie. and why does there always have to be a first at the top of everyone of your videos? no, really, the first comment on all of them is "FIRST!!!111ONEONEONE2"

Doug:

lordlee:

Teh Blasta:

paragon1:

Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

Some of those are not FPS.

He was just listing Western games.

Agreed. Part of the reason his wapanese views annoy me. He seems to think Halo == All Western Games. And J- games annoy the crap out of me in general - the only "J-" games I like that I know about are the Mario ones. And I mean main series Mario. Oh, and some of the Zelda ones.

But now you've done the exact same thing. Also go play Fire Emblem, God Hand, and Okami.

lordlee:

Doug:

lordlee:

Teh Blasta:

paragon1:

Brutal Legend
Mass Effect 1 and 2
Assassin's Creed II
Dragon Age
Uncharted 1 and 2
Bioshock
So...yeah.

Some of those are not FPS.

He was just listing Western games.

Agreed. Part of the reason his wapanese views annoy me. He seems to think Halo == All Western Games. And J- games annoy the crap out of me in general - the only "J-" games I like that I know about are the Mario ones. And I mean main series Mario. Oh, and some of the Zelda ones.

But now you've done the exact same thing. Also go play Fire Emblem, God Hand, and Okami.

No, I didn't.

I said I don't like J- games that I know about - I did NOT say "ALL J- GAMES SUCK" in the same way MovieBob did about Western games.

I am confuzzled by your "Try complaining aboot me picking on FPSes without mentioning Half Life" comment. The original story of a power armored non-character fighting one dimensionally evil aliens that are opressing humanity for no adequately explained reason, while the protagonist has literally no in game evidence that he is anything more than a pair of floating hands. How is that a defense of the genre?

Saying Halo is bad for popularizing Space marines (Doom is responsible for that), power armor (Half Life) and aliens baddies,(Doom/Duke Nukem/Half Life) and super machismo (Duke Nukem) is like hating Watchmen for the Dark age. Sure, it was responsible for it, but that doesn't make it bad.

You talk about Homecoming subverting Halo, however, the whole kidnapping gifted children, replacing them with clones, and then putting them through a hellish training that most don't survive has been Halo cannon for a while now. Halo takes the Metroid Prime "As much plot as you want" approach. If you don't care aboot the plot, you won't find any, if you do care you will find interesting stuff. You just got turned off when you saw the space armor and the evil aliens. Also, the thing aboot female Spartans would not surprise anyone who was familiar with extended Halo lore. The Spartans drafted children who showed signs of being physically and mentally superior. You just don't hear about them much, because by the games all but like 3 Spartans had died in some major battle, and I am fairly certain you don't see the other Spartans.
The Spartans were basically mass produced Captain America.

Souplex:
I am confuzzled by your "Try complaining aboot me picking on FPSes without mentioning Half Life" comment. The original story of a power armored non-character fighting one dimensionally evil aliens that are opressing humanity for no adequately explained reason, while the protagonist has literally no in game evidence that he is anything more than a pair of floating hands. How is that a defense of the genre?

BECAUSE ZOMG PHYSICS AND SUPPORT CHARACTER VALVE IS GOD

lordlee:
INTERESTING STUFF. MORE NEXT TIME ON: TALES! OF! INTEREST!

Nightfalke:
B-b-b-but Deus Ex.

B-b-b-but Thief 2.

B-b-b-but System Shock.

Granted, none of these have been made in the last decade...

So I'll end with... B-b-b-but Bioshock?

So basically, Deus Ex (which is more of an RPG) and Bioshock, which doesn't play very well but has a nice atmosphere. I haven't played Thief admittedly, but System Shock was horrible.

I'm pretty sure he means the sequel to System Shock. The only thing good about the original was the hacking.

And good job Moviebob. I may think you're too generous with some movies (Daybreakers!) but you know when to stick it to certain movies (Book of Eli).

blindthrall:

lordlee:

Nightfalke:
B-b-b-but Deus Ex.

B-b-b-but Thief 2.

B-b-b-but System Shock.

So basically, Deus Ex (which is more of an RPG) and Bioshock, which doesn't play very well but has a nice atmosphere. I haven't played Thief admittedly, but System Shock was horrible.

I'm pretty sure he means the sequel to System Shock. The only thing good about the original was the hacking.

And good job Moviebob. I may think you're too generous with some movies (Daybreakers!) but you know when to stick it to certain movies (Book of Eli).

I didn't like System Shock 1 or 2. I find Bioshock superior in every fashion.

Is it just me or is Halo Legends the same concept as Animatrix and Gotham Knight?

I gotta say I was impressed by the level of open mindedness about this topic. Honestly I was expecting a lot of vicious ragging on the franchise but what I got instead was a well thought out response to these animae shorts. While I would disagree with you on a few of the main points within the confines of the actual game story itself I still have to admit you did a good job at analysing Halo Legends as a lot of the praise and criticisms are things that I do tend to agree with.

I myself have only seen a few, I might give renting it on DVD a try at some point.

Also incidentally, I had been planning to make a compliation of reviews based on Halo Legends myself once I've seen them all, however I'm pretty sure you beat me to the punch in some respects.
So yeah, kudos on that too.

MovieBob:
Halo Legends

This week MovieBob takes a look at the animated Halo Legends.

For more from MovieBob, check out Intermission.

Watch Video

But... seriously, you need to grow a pair of balls ;)
Stay off the joy-pad stuff Bob, the first quarter of that review slipped and fell flat on its face, but only after desperately grabbing at a few pithy generalisations about modern gaming. I certainly wouldn't call myself a "gamer", but whenever a movie critic begins a review with a 30-second brief on the past 10 years of "video gaming and the broader geek culture", it smacks a little bit of the new guy on the block rehearsing his 'whose who' list before trying to show off to his new friends with hesitant non-committal opinions and desperately unfunny sarcasm.

You do have some interesting opinions on cinema and often make comfortably incisive points. Yet I must confess that it was only after you used the words "perfect" and "visionary" in the same sentence as "Kill Bill" that I've watched review after review after laughably smug review to see what bizarre claim you're going to make next; Peter Jackson doesn't make films, he slurs self-absorbed mediocre geek-fodder, then puffs them out with indulgent wide-shot after indulgent wide-shot after indulgent 'look at me aren't I pretty, look at the pretty people in the middle of my pretty world' wide-shot. District 9? A film doesn't need explosions to be sci-fi, I blank-cheque funded debut from a clearly intelligent director who wants to be noticed by the moronic masses needs explosions, but not a sci-fi - just ask Duncan Jones. Moon did thinky-thinky sci-fi better, and explosions with A GOOD NARRATIVE (something you confuse with intelligence) was done far better in Star Trek. But whatever...

See you next time.

A long time ago.....I predicted that something will come along to ruin Halo for me..well my friends this is it.

Plurralbles:
OMG MONSTER RANCHER REFERENCE AND EVENGELION!

Pretty damn awesome video even though I went into it dissapointed with the subject matter but damn did it pull through to be interesting.

I know I loved Monster Rancher!

I however went into this fearing that he would tear into it with the fury that most of the internet has. I actualy like Halos story (sereously whenever someone says "Halo has a story?" or anything like that it makes me grind my teeth). Legends took that story and incorperated it with Anime realy well.

You know, the sad irony is, when we send popular western things to Japan, such as Halo or the Matrix, we get back awesome films such as the Animatrix and Batman Gotham Nights.

When the Japanese send their great things over here to the West to let us have a go, we end up with Godzilla (1998) and DragonBall Evolution. :(

I never really liked the Halo Universe. Too depressing, and there isn't a whole lot of substance in the games. They're OK First-Person Shooters, but the storyline is just...not that enjoyable.

But really? There are actually people who are against the concept of this? At worst Legends was just going to turn out to be a failed experiment. I guess I never understood the mindset some people have where if anything gets changed in their beloved series, the whole thing is ruined forever. Even if you hate Legends, that doesn't mean you can never play Halo 3: ODST again.

While I usually like movie bob, when it comes ti anything Halo, he is an arrogant prick to say the least.

Onyx Oblivion:

Octopusesgarden:

Onyx Oblivion:
b-b-b-but Valve is over-rated.

Left 4 dead 1-2,team fortress 2,half life 1-2 episode 2,steam,counter strike and PORTAL.How are they overated?

Because of people like you.

The games are good, but the memes their damn fanbase spawn kill them. (Still Alive, PILLS HERE!, etc.)

Don't get me wrong,I may love valve games but I'm not a valve fanboy.

lordlee:

blindthrall:

lordlee:

Nightfalke:
B-b-b-but Deus Ex.

B-b-b-but Thief 2.

B-b-b-but System Shock.

I didn't like System Shock 1 or 2. I find Bioshock superior in every fashion.

Not just in the graphics department? Because while I enjoyed Bioshock's objectivist deconstruction, I thought the central conflict of the individual vs. the mass was better in System Shock. Bioshock just wasn't hard enough for its gameplay to be that engaging or for it to really be that scary(except a certain part of Fort Frolic). System Shock kept me creeped out the whole game, more from how fucked the whole situation was more than apprehension that something would jump out at me.

OT: I think it's great that the animators were trying to rile up the Halo fanbase. Master Chief getting eaten by a T-Rex makes me want to see it. And oh boy are they getting riled up. I only had to scroll through one page before Godwin's Law was invoked. In a completely stupid fashion too, basically saying that the Nazis were epic trolls. In case anybody's wondering, the few times I've enjoyed watching anime far outweigh the zero time I've played Halo and enjoyed it. Between the fruity graphics and cutesy little noises, I felt like I was shooting Care Bears. It's like a kindergarten version of Gears of War.

EDIT: Anybody who thinks the Halo story is original should read the Ringworld series.

Oh, hey: I forgot one more game:

B-b-b-but Fallout 3...

Granted, Bethesda ain't much for story or character designs, but the setting of a post-nuclear 50's-future-tech downtown DC and the RPG-FPS blending is just incredible. Besides, there's noting more cathartic than blasting the head off a super mutant or even your much-hated power-armor wearing super soldier with a .44 magnum. Just think of them as a Halo Space Marine, or any other one at that, and you're good to go.

Oh, and it's currently the highest scored Western game in Famitsu history, with a total score of 38 out of 40. And these guys are the Electronic Gaming Monthly of Japan: the best damn gaming magazine reviewers in Japan. Check it out.

If anything, you get to nuke an entire town. I'll repeat: you get to nuke an ENTIRE town. What more could you want?!

Octopusesgarden:

Onyx Oblivion:

Octopusesgarden:

Onyx Oblivion:
b-b-b-but Valve is over-rated.

Left 4 dead 1-2,team fortress 2,half life 1-2 episode 2,steam,counter strike and PORTAL.How are they overated?

Because of people like you.

The games are good, but the memes their damn fanbase spawn kill them. (Still Alive, PILLS HERE!, etc.)

Don't get me wrong,I may love valve games but I'm not a valve fanboy.

Good. I like Valve, but dear god does Left 4 Dead bore me. It's good at what it does, but I just don't like it.

dathwampeer:
Hating halo has become even more cliché and overdone that being a pissy halo fan-boy.

Fucking agreed. A trend I've also noticed among the hating halo people is that alot of them have never even played the games, or if they have it was Halo: CE but less than three years ago and it, "Seemed bland with not too good graphics and a story that has been far too over used." Well, yeah if you played Halo: CE for the first time in 2008 of course the graphics are going to seem crappy because games now have infinitely better graphics, but in 2001 those graphics were very cutting edge. Of course the story is going to seem over used because most FPS's set in space for the last 9 years have basically taken Halo's story and characters and turned them into something that has flooded the market and been mediocre (Section 8 anyone?)

Sure Halo may seem mediocre and it may seem like something that isn't worth 2 shits, but at the time it was incredibly revolutionary. It practically single handedly re-birthed console FPS's, which hadn't had a new idea since Goldeneye.

B-b-b-but Metriod Prime 1-3...
B-b-b-but Bioshock...
B-b-b-but Serious Sam...
B-b-b-but Condemned...
B-b-b-but Perfect Dark...

I could go on, but I think others have beaten me to the point. (though if I'm the first person to bring up Metriod, I'd be pretty damn depressed)

Actually, I think you're more or less right in that most FPS's follow around Halo's example like it's the freaking LAW and deviating even slightly from what's already come is something nobody seems willing to do unless they're copying Call of Duty, instead.

Fortunatly, I've discovered that you can use this as a way to judge how good a game will be before it's even released; if it looks like a Halo clone, skip it, as you won't be missing out on anything mindblowing, anyway.

This rule has helped me avoid drivel like Area 51, Haze, The Conduit, Turok, Jericho and Wolfenstein, and for that I guess I can be thankful.

lordlee:

Souplex:

But while the physics make for some fun puzzles, Alyx is the worst support character I have ever encountered.

i recently bought it and loved every short they all realy delved into the halo universe more, except for odd one out which is a hilarious pisstake, the visuals were all stunning especially the elite one(cant remember its name) so all in all well worth the 9.99 on itunes, its great to buy just to watch even if your not a halo fan or a anime fan.

I agree that a lot of video game heros of the west are one-dimensional ultra-masculine macho-men who only speak with grim detatchment or sarcasm...

but c'mon, a lot of Japanese characters aren't one-dimensional? what have we seen in games from Japan: spikey haired adolecents or males who look like women, who are angsty/snarky/smirky, involved in over-the-top melodramatic storylines, and talk way too much with snide grins or shakey rage-face... I know there's other stereotypes out there, but I don't watch a whole lot of anime or play many JRPGs

Souplex:

lordlee:

Souplex:

But while the physics make for some fun puzzles, Alyx is the worst support character I have ever encountered.

Yeah pretty dull game overall. TF2 and Portal are awesome though, so I don't regret the Orange Box.

Nurb:
I agree that a lot of video game heros of the west are one-dimensional ultra-masculine macho-men who only speak with grim detatchment or sarcasm...

but c'mon, a lot of Japanese characters aren't one-dimensional? what have we seen in games from Japan: spikey haired adolecents or males who look like women, who are angsty/snarky/smirky, involved in over-the-top melodramatic storylines, and talk way too much with snide grins or shakey rage-face... I know there's other stereotypes out there, but I don't watch a whole lot of anime or play many JRPGs

Crunchy English:

Odoylerules360:
It was really hard to hear what he was saying over the sound of Japan's balls furiously smacking against his chin.

But however, in all seriousness, Fuck Japan.

I don't think you mean "Chauvinistic"... prejudiced maybe, or racist even. I would like to throw it out there though, that Japan is one of the most Chauvinist nations going, which makes your statement pleasingly ironic.

It's not racist, because I don't hate the ones who have left the country (except those who genuinely deserve that hate), and it's not prejudice, because that would imply that I have no actual experience with it.

I don't know if there is a word for hating & despising something after you've experienced many aspects of it and even used to be able to speak the language.
So whatever that word is, that's how I feel about Japan. Fuck that place.

I sympathize with MovieBob, I don't like FPS games either. These anime Halo movies, especially the one with the pet dinosaur look awesome! XD

Great thought people were going to talk about Halo Legends in this thread. O well, guess I'll keep looking.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here