Escape to the Movies: Halo Legends

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 15 NEXT

You do realize that not all Halo fans are raging dickholes right Bob?

lordlee:

Nurb:
I agree that a lot of video game heros of the west are one-dimensional ultra-masculine macho-men who only speak with grim detatchment or sarcasm...

but c'mon, a lot of Japanese characters aren't one-dimensional? what have we seen in games from Japan: spikey haired adolecents or males who look like women, who are angsty/snarky/smirky, involved in over-the-top melodramatic storylines, and talk way too much with snide grins or shakey rage-face... I know there's other stereotypes out there, but I don't watch a whole lot of anime or play many JRPGs

What you're picture did to me was show me WRPG's have a variety in story telling, setting, and gameplay while JRPG's are pretty much the opposite.

Canid117:

He clearly does not realize that.

simmeh:

Nightfalke:
B-b-b-but Deus Ex.

B-b-b-but Thief 2.

B-b-b-but System Shock.

Granted, none of these have been made in the last decade...

So I'll end with... B-b-b-but Bioshock?

In his other work, the Videogame Overthinker, he mentions that he loves Bioshock.

Damn you sir! I got curious as to what Videogame Overthinker was, so I went there... 14 videos 12 Youtube comments and 4 hours later I realised that i actually intended to watch this and then the winner of the Escapist Filmfestval!
Seriously, those of you who haven't gone to this website: http://gameoverthinker.blogspot.com/ Do it! But be warned, hours will go by unnoticed. : )

Talo_AML:

mchoueiri:
With all due respect movie bob you review movies keep reviewing movies. Im sorry to say that you do not know much about video games. While I think halo legends does not look good that does not give reason to go after US made games and stereotype them since the west has a large range and variety of games. Not to sound rude but stick to reviewing movies and leave video games alone

Ha, your starting to sound like that goth girl. :P

"Leave video games aloooone!" Lawl.

Lol I guess I can kind of see that but thats not what I meant to sound like haha.

I'll be honest. I kind of like Halo. Maybe it's the fact that I thought the first one was particularly pertinent because of an aside in the accompanying literature that the Covenant were religious fanatics intent on our annihilation (I'm in America. This was November of 2001.).

The story has gotten ridiculous at this point, but I liked the first story. Alien religious fanatics who use weapons of mass destruction to destroy infidels in the region of a religious artifact? Okay, I'll play that. It was just the right combination of ultranationalism/xenophobia and fantastical detachment for me at the time.

Also, the canon actually includes multiple female Spartans, and Halo: Reach is actually going have at least one playable female Spartan character for the campaign.

That being said, I can understand how someone could dislike the franchise. Master Chief is an unapologetic hyper-masculine badass, and the story doesn't do a whole lot to try to explain itself unless you're just curious enough about how the characters got into the situation they're in to seek out that information.

But I'm going to introduce a different fps defense than that to which you may be accustomed. How about Condemned: Criminal Origins? It's not really a "shooter", but what are your thoughts?

whycantibelinus:

Canid117:

He clearly does not realize that.

Of course he does, but those fans have enough self-distance to realize that the type of fan he was talking about exist in abundance.

It's funny, I really liked Animatrix, but hated the Batman animations (the one about the bullet shield was alright, but it was mostly just crappy). I doubt I'd like any of these, and to be honest, I'm pretty sure that if I'd end up seeing Homecoming I'd sigh and mumble to myself that no way in hell have I ever seen this exact sequence in an anime before.

It's funny actually. Japanese writers often try to explore deep emotions in popular media like comics, games and animations to a larger extent than their western counterparts. Unfortunately they're mostly very bad at writing, but get undue credit by the people starved for that sort of thing (myself included). I mean, come on: there are people who consider Kojima the best writer in the industry!

I'd like to see more collaborations like these though. Perhaps we'll eventually get an original project where the writing is well-balanced on all fronts. Who knows?

edit:

But I'm going to introduce a different fps defense than that to which you may be accustomed. How about Condemned: Criminal Origins? It's not really a "shooter", but what are your thoughts?

Don't just name-drop and hope for a response: Argue your point, dude :(

Wow! I've never been able to get into Halo, but Bob I think you may have sold me on this. Well I'll at least have to give this a rent sometime.

I honestly thought Odd one out was the best. It was funny, and had that anime feel I was looking for. Homecoming certainly was the most "Emotional" but I didn't like the characters or think they were interesting. The main SPARTAN of that one didn't have any organic feel whatsoever, but maybe she wasn't supposed too. Her movements were robotic, swift, and overall pointless which i suppose made the teddy bear dangling from her belt, shifting in the wind all the different against her blue metal robotness. The package I thought was the worst. It completely milked the Halo 1 opening dialog *Hint*No thanks to your driving yes. They did some other one's that i couldn't remember, because i thought that entire episode was so terrible. The duel, before I saw any of the other ones really made the movie for me. After the extremely boring "Origins" That was pretty dang awesome with sort of a whole Samurai vs. Ninja thing. I must say that had some pretty dang awesome energy sword duels.

I feel like I got my face singed just watching this. I mean DAMN, that's some spite.

When considering the Halo mythos it's pretty important to realize - it's almost like a separate issue from the game itself. Halo has a very well constructed universe, and the fact that the games revolve around you being a supersoldier who can casually punch an alien to death is really not a reflection on the quality of the mythos Bungie built behind it. Watch the Arbiter cutscenes from Halo 2 and tell me that's not some elegant presentation at work. The unsettling militarism is gone, replaced with a portrait of religious zealotry that comes across as more an ironic cautionary tale than gun-wanking attempts at acting badass because we know that it's ultimately misguided.

The fact is that Halo's singleplayer, while still not exactly what I'd call highbrow anything, is an entirely different game from its multiplayer. Singleplayer is a story about a lame protagonist in a lovingly crafted universe. The multiplayer is a pit full of twitchy twelve year olds calling each other naughty words. A lot of games are like that. I went into Modern Warfare 2 expecting a landslide of the impossible claiming to be ultra-realism and chest-thumping American jingoism, and actually found the single-player campaign, unlike its multiplayer population, dropped attempts to recreate warfare as something fun and instead provided you with a sort of entertaining James Bond/Tom Clancy-hybrid action movie, and little quips on the loading screens were bereft of fanatical USA nationalism and instead filled with words of caution about the horrors of war and absurdity of conflict, as if to prevent the multiplayer crowd from getting brainwashed into joining the army by their skill with an tiny analog stick, lest they imagine it carry over to an actual firearm.

So, yeah. I think the writers of Halo are a cut above most of their readers, so to speak.

I think Bob misunderstands Halo's fanbase. There are the macho FPS heads and they probably are a majority but anyone who genuinely enjoys the story and has read the books would not have seen homecoming as the outraging shock Bob seems to think we should feel. The only one i truly disliked as a Halo fan was The duel because it gives the Elites japanese architecture for some strange reason and also gives the Elites chins... which they dont have.
I have to go with Bob and say Homecoming and Odd One Out were the best and Origins coming third. Just love Cortana's face for pretty much all of Odd One Out.

I still dont get why you hate halo with such a burning undieing passion.
OT: good review as always, keep on going.
Edit: mabye you'd like it better if you read the forerunners story. Try that out before bashing halo please.

Wasn't interested before and am not interested now.

Of course that's hardly surprising, given that I've got only a vague interest in both Halo and animu. I mean, both can be fun at times, but the combination doesn't strike me as something even remotely worth watching.

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Nurb:
I agree that a lot of video game heros of the west are one-dimensional ultra-masculine macho-men who only speak with grim detatchment or sarcasm...

but c'mon, a lot of Japanese characters aren't one-dimensional? what have we seen in games from Japan: spikey haired adolecents or males who look like women, who are angsty/snarky/smirky, involved in over-the-top melodramatic storylines, and talk way too much with snide grins or shakey rage-face... I know there's other stereotypes out there, but I don't watch a whole lot of anime or play many JRPGs

What you're picture did to me was show me WRPG's have a variety in story telling, setting, and gameplay while JRPG's are pretty much the opposite.

It's almost certain you have no idea what any of those titles but Final Fantasy 5 are. None of their stories are remotely alike, same with the gameplay.

It's interesting what you said about the western and Japanese character archetypes. I'm doing a project for a research class where I'm trying to find out why Manga is becoming more popular than American comics.

One of the theories is that manga manages to target a younger Audience. The most popular American comics have characters who have been around since the beginning of the 20th century and have aged, relatively. The Lion's share of American comics, and games for that matter, star characters in their 20's or thirties. Not too much of a problem considering that most of the target audience is that age group.

Japanese comics and games, by comparison, have younger, less weathered characters. I can't tell you how many times I'm read the synopsis for a game or manga and the phrase "ordinary high school student" pops up.

The thing is that more people are able to relate to these young, inexperience characters more than the older ones. As such, they focus more on them.

JaredXE:
I think I'm going to rent it. See, I am one of those few Halo fans that actually have both common sense and a sense of the ridiculious. I don't play Halo because it's a FPS, I play it for the story. I play it multiplayer, but not XBL because I detest Halo fans and the kids on XBL in general.

Btw: OMFGBBQWTF, there ARE female spartans.....as they have already established before. So if anybody is surprised....then they are mentally retarded.

what do you think of THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6JKP_W_HGY

lordlee:

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Nurb:

It's almost certain you have no idea what any of those titles but Final Fantasy 5 are. None of their stories are remotely alike, same with the gameplay.

I'll hazard a guess that they all involve guys using swords, guys using magic, and a fantasy/medieval setting. And at least three of them use a turn-based combat system.

You let me down, there, Bob.

You were remarking about the competing aesthetic styles of Japan and the West, and characterized the latter as boasting macho one-trick ponies, which is simply bullshit, and you know it.

This aesthetic war generally stems from the comic book industry, and not from game design. The Western style is inspired by characters from classics like The Watchmen, Spiderman, Batman, Superman, X-Men, Cpt. America, Iron Man, and a legion of interesting, original creations with great stories and differing visual tendencies. Lumping all of that into a category of "interchangeable manly heroes in manly suits and manly guns" does them as great an injustice as characterizing anime-inspired characters as emo girly-men.

While you bash the Xbox Live fanboys, you constantly wave the flag of anime fanboyism, which is really no better.

---

As far as the gaming industry is concerned, yes, popular games of late are filled with the sad stereotype you mentioned, but you throw out the great protagonists/characters of Half-Life, Bioshock, GTA 4, Fallout 3, Starcraft, and the ever ovetly macho, self-parodying Duke Nukem, Serious Sam, and Redneck Rampage. I didn't even mention the great works of Bioware, Double Fine, and Lucas Arts.

mechanixis:

lordlee:

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Nurb:

I'll hazard a guess that they all involve guys using swords, guys using magic, and a fantasy/medieval setting. And at least three of them use a turn-based combat system.

So now you are taking the position that all turn based systems and fantasy settings are the same? Are you shitting me?

The Halo universe is amazing, the books truly show who the real heroes of the franchise are, normal humans who are just trying to do one thing, to survive. It is clear in the novels that the real hero is Sgt. Johnson, undeniably. That is why Bungie bought themselves back from MS, and they themselves stated that the way Halo was going was not what they intended, heck Halo was not even an FPS but actually was being developed into an RTS. I suggest you play Halo 3 ODST, the single player story, coupled with O'Donnell's amazing soundtrack makes for a true Halo experience, no spartans, just a bunch of normal guys trying to survive what seems to be an unstoppable genocide.This is the essense of the universe that Bungie wants to convey in their games, and with them having free reign on the new upcoming Reach installation, i have high hopes for another great story, even if the gameplay will seem as stale as it did in Halo 1. I am not a fan of the Halo games, but i am a hardcore fan of the novels and the overall universe that Bungie so well defined.

honestly, those pictures dont help you prove your point, the JRPG pictures all share the same common themes, seriously. Guy with sword, other guys behind them, hot girl that does magic. While on the WRPG side, you have not a single common theme, atleast that i cannot see. WRPGS are more varied if we go by your picture, sir. Neither one is better than the other, and storytelling in WRPGs are sometimes horrible, but at the same time the story telling in JRGs are just cheeky, mainly because what is humorous to a japanese gamer is stupid to an american gamer. So, stop arguing about this crap, your no better than the PS3>360/PS3<360 idiots.

Nightfalke:
B-b-b-but Deus Ex.

B-b-b-but Thief 2.

B-b-b-but System Shock.

Granted, none of these have been made in the last decade...

So I'll end with... B-b-b-but Bioshock?

I honestly don't want anybody making movies based on any of those franchises. Why take something that's already as near to perfect as it can get (except for Bioshock, not perfect, but still better than Halo by far) and shit all over it in the name of creative license?

lordlee:

mechanixis:

lordlee:

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Nurb:

So now you are taking the position that all turn based systems and fantasy settings are the same? Are you shitting me?

Let's compare the variation between the JRPGs to the variation between the variation between the WRPGs, shall we?

We've got Morrowind, Deus Ex, KotOR, and Fallout 2. One is set in a fantasy setting, one is set in a modern-world setting, one is a sci-fi setting, and one is a post-apocalypse setting. That's four radically different kinds of games.

When we look at the JRPGs, we see four guys with swords, right there on the box. Now, we're not saying they're all just the same stereotypical fantasy setting, they all have their own quirks - technology is bumped a couple hundred years forward or back, the nature of magic is explained differently, etc. They all attach their own nuances to the form, but that's just what it is: a form. All these games are about guys with swords and magic fighting monsters. And if I don't want that, I have nowhere to go. In the genre of WRPGs, if I get sick of swords and magic and monsters, I can switch to something else. If I find turn-based combat too slow and abstract, I can switch to something like Morrowind or Mass Effect, and then switch back if that starts to feel frantic and simplistic. That's the issue with JRPGs - they're the same thing being reiterated in a whole bunch of slightly-different iterations.

Not all fantasy setting or turn based combat systems are the same. Not all potatoes are the same, either, but I don't just eat only potatoes.

mechanixis:

lordlee:

mechanixis:

lordlee:

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Nurb:

Let's compare the variation between the JRPGs to the variation between the variation between the WRPGs, shall we?

We've got Morrowind, Deus Ex, KotOR, and Fallout 2. One is set in a fantasy setting, one is set in a modern-world setting, one is a sci-fi setting, and one is a post-apocalypse setting. That's four radically different kinds of games.

When we look at the JRPGs, we see four guys with swords, right there on the box. Now, we're not saying they're all just the same stereotypical fantasy setting, they all have their own quirks - technology is bumped a couple hundred years forward or back, the nature of magic is explained differently, etc. They all attach their own nuances to the form, but that's just what it is: a form. All these games are about guys with swords and magic fighting monsters. And if I don't want that, I have nowhere to go. In the genre of WRPGs, if I get sick of swords and magic and monsters, I can switch to something else. If I find turn-based combat too slow and abstract, I can switch to something like Morrowind or Mass Effect, and then switch back if that starts to feel frantic and simplistic. That's the issue with JRPGs - they're the same thing being reiterated in a whole bunch of slightly-different iterations.

Not all fantasy setting or turn based combat systems are the same. Not all potatoes are the same, either, but I don't just eat only potatoes.

But there are real-time JRPGs, and sci-fi JRPGs. Tales is a good example of the former, Chrono Trigger of the latter. In fact, Final Fantasy goes off into scifi fairly often.

Edit: Xenosaga and Phantasy Star probably fit sci-fi better than Chrono Trigger, but I'm not really a fan of either one.

Edit 2: Also Shin Megami Tensei games are often in modern settings, but feature mythological story and gameplay elements.

Wow, I almost feel this could be worth buying... so I guess that;s a "good job, Bob!" from me.

lordlee:

mechanixis:

lordlee:

mechanixis:

lordlee:

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Nurb:

But there are real-time JRPGs, and sci-fi JRPGs. Tales is a good example of the former, Chrono Trigger of the latter. In fact, Final Fantasy goes off into scifi fairly often.

Okay, okay. Setting wise, JRPGs have a little variety. I still feel all their genres bleed into each other a bit much - a lovably hapless (or angsty and brooding) young male protagonist and his spunky female sidekick gather a rabble of similarly-aged individuals to combat a looming evil, using large medieval weapons or things that strongly resemble medieval weapons - and if you want variety in gameplay, WRPGs are much more accommodating. While they have differences, no two JRPGs are as different as Baldur's Gate is from Fallout 3.

I agree with you about Halo, disagree with you about Japan, and strongly disagree with your Western game stereotype. Mostly because a lot of Japanese games these days tend to show the same anime stock characters. There are exceptions to this, just like everything else of course. Also, the term "Western game" is far too broad to effectively stereotype. Just sayin'.

mechanixis:

lordlee:

mechanixis:

lordlee:

mechanixis:

lordlee:

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Nurb:

Okay, okay. Setting wise, JRPGs have a little variety. I still feel all their genres bleed into each other a bit much - a lovably hapless (or angsty and brooding) young male protagonist and his spunky female sidekick gather a rabble of similarly-aged individuals to combat a looming evil, using large medieval weapons or things that strongly resemble medieval weapons - and if you want variety in gameplay, WRPGs are much more accommodating. While they have differences, no two JRPGs are as different as Baldur's Gate is from Fallout 3.

I'd say Star Ocean 3 is about as well removed from Fire Emblem as Balder's Gate is from Fallout 3.

And your comments on the plots and settings make it seem quite likely that you haven't PLAYED many JRPGs.

I'm not a Halo fan (Played one FPS, you've played them all) but Homecoming seems really interesting. Like, what Halo should have been.

AnonymouZero:

JaredXE:
I think I'm going to rent it. See, I am one of those few Halo fans that actually have both common sense and a sense of the ridiculious. I don't play Halo because it's a FPS, I play it for the story. I play it multiplayer, but not XBL because I detest Halo fans and the kids on XBL in general.

Btw: OMFGBBQWTF, there ARE female spartans.....as they have already established before. So if anybody is surprised....then they are mentally retarded.

what do you think of THIS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6JKP_W_HGY

@ _ @

Ok, I laughed, but I also felt really bad because I know guys like that. Not EXACTLY like that, mind you, but really close to it. And that is a huge reason why I hate the FPS culture.

Ugg just another "let's jerk off Japan" Moviebob rant.

lordlee:

Ok. So being a generalizing person such as Movie Bob apparently is those four are essentially late teens/early twenties people who's world is slowly dying/about to be conquered by a long lost thought to be defeated enemy, said people must assemble team, be imbued with some sort of weapon/soul/knowledge in order to save world from complete and utter destruction.

In a nut shell. Granted there is more to the stories than that, but I'm giving them just about as much chance as Movie Bob gave Halo. Just being fair here.

simmeh:

lordlee:

d319tm:

lordlee:
[quote="d319tm" post="6.177289.5122243"]
Also rememer: Anime is not a genre. It's a medium.

Sorry for being slow, but what do you mean by a medium in this case?

I mean it's no different than books, movies, or games. It's just another medium for storytelling. There's lots of different genres for it, where everyone seems to think they are all about little girls with breasts larger than their bodies in giant robots.

To contrast: Baccano is about mobsters. Oh, and the first episode is a bit confusing, so don't be turned off by it.

Quoted for truth. Here's another way to think about it:

Imagine filling a burlap sack with every single cliche you've come to accept about anime: giant robots, superpowered samurai, teenagers wielding weapons of mass destruction, legions of women fawning over sexually inert men, gratuitous and unecessary diversions to the beach/pool, etc. Then, imagine a show that takes that sack, ties it to a cinder block, and then throws it off the end of a pier. That show is basically Baccano!

I'm watching the opening credits. Verdict: I'm already in love <3

whycantibelinus:

lordlee:

Ok. So being a generalizing person such as Movie Bob apparently is those four are essentially late teens/early twenties people who's world is slowly dying/about to be conquered by a long lost thought to be defeated enemy, said people must assemble team, be imbued with some sort of weapon/soul/knowledge in order to save world from complete and utter destruction.

In a nut shell. Granted there is more to the stories than that, but I'm giving them just about as much chance as Movie Bob gave Halo. Just being fair here.

Playing a game and finding the plot bland is not the same as taking a number of games and arbitrarily slapping some cliches on them without playing them.

Moviebob's treatment of Halo is also not relevant to what you and I were talking about.

B-b-b-but STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl?!
Considering that this is a game based of ANDREI TARKOVSKY'S MASTERPIECE sci-fi film Stalker, which in of itself is based on the sublime Russian novel Roadside Picnic, its not exactly the ussual source matterial for a game?

Fallout, System Shock, Bioshock, TF2, Portal, Deus Ex ect have already mentioned but that's just considering a FPS's cultural and artistic merit. There are plenty of other shooters that are still fun and exciting even if they aren't the cultural or narrative equivilent of The Godfather. Gears of War, Halo, they're still fun and exciting like a dumb action movie.

Oh and actually, I think most people associate Japanese game characters with the kind of stupid androgenous spikey haired angsty anime RPG characters you get in Final Fantasy and every other kind of JRPG. That's their problem.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 . . . 15 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here