Review: Aliens vs. Predator

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I can't wait to play this, I've popped in the original AvP2 in the meantime. Even the originals had faults, but it was still a great game..

you should have just nuked the site from orbit

ehh graphics arnt that bad, altho Ive been playing games for over 20 years now so I know bad graphics, the main thing that bugs me about this review tho is the cover system thing, why would a cover system help anything? Im assuming you mean like the one in gears or something

If your not high on nostalgia, and I mean really high, the game sucks. All mechanics save the Predators have been done better by someone else a long time ago. Atmosphere wise except for some of the marine missions most of them are pretty boring and even the marine sense wears down just after the first alien encounter because when I saw the aliens in this game I thought of roaches and not the majestic beast of prey. All in all it kinda sucked for me, I`m no editor but I would definitely recommend a demo or something before buying it and not trusting Russ on this one.

cover system in an FPS? erm, silly idea imo

keep it to 3rd person chest high wallers

Not complete full gen graphics... Unless I'm missing something like "it not being on PC" I'm going to get it on PC.

Installed, played, removed. Looked like something playing on an emulator and played worse. Acurately portrays being surrounded by Aliens that want to eat your liver in that its bloody aweful.

MortisLegio:

Hmm, well... It is the only way to be sure...

One thought I've had recently is that the graphics for the surroundings don't really matter that much. Due to the darkness/pitch blackness of each level, all you're ever going to see is the flashes of the wall as you walk past, scanning for things that move, or the black and white or infrared of the Xenomorph/Predator. It doesn't need to look amazing.

Of course, I think it looks great, so I really don't know where this is coming from at all. It's like [PROTOTYPE] all over again.

Probably haven't watched it as much as me. God, that film is the shizniz. One of Cameron's best works, more so than Avatar at any rate.

"What are we supposed to use, harsh language?"

Cover mechanic? Are you fucking SERIOUS?

Yeah, cover mechanics aren't very fun to begin with, but in a game with alot of melee it would make absolutely no sense to have it.

First of all, it's a generic FPS that's copying the old golden standard. A bit bland, but hey . . . sounds like it works.

Nowthing, the actual IMPORTANT note . . . "the graphics look old" BULLSHIT . . . frankly, if you can't tell the difference between FMVs, cutscenes and gameplay graphics . . . it does NOT look old, and from the views they showed, it flows fast smooth and clean, there's no obvious seams, the graphics aren't blocky or bit covered . . . so it looks GREAT, it looks WONDERFUL . . . sure it's probably not as ULTRA real world looking as say . . . Heavy Rain . . . but that doesn't matter.

It's ALIEN VERSUS PREDATOR, we're not looking gfor it to be super real. We're looking for it to be VIOLENT, DARK, GOREY, and COMPLETELY INSANE. As long as that happens, it doesn't matter if it's not so realistic looking you'll go to bed wishing you had a motion sensor.

The review pretty much told me what I already know about the game, having played it for the past five days straight, that and nothing else.
I agree with most of the things in this review, however there are two things I'm stumped about.

1: Cover system? It's an FPS, and only when playing as the Marine, a cover system would have been largely useless as Aliens swarm your position so fast that they'd be in melee range before you even have a chance to make reasonable use of it. As an Alien or Predator, it'd be even more redundant.

2: Poor graphics? Seriously now? Maybe it looks like arse on the 360 version, I dunno, but fire it up on PC and it looks better than most other games I've played recently, even on DX9 mode, I fail to see how it looks old/dated in the slightest.

Leave it to the Escapist to review a good game based on it's undeniable merits, rather than just calling it shit because it's not Modern Warfare 2.

I concur with JdaS...

Looks pretty fun, but heavy rain and final fantasy 13's out soon, so will have no time or money to spare^^

I got this game on the xbox 360 on day 1, and i must say I think it has been an excellent game!
The predator and alien campaign are fun and unique, and as all ready covered, pulling out a marines spine and seeing the pure terror on his face is awesome :D
The marines campaign was ok, but i think it could be improved by making it more survival-horror (even though it is, the infinite pistol takes away the survival)
Finally the multiplayer is just epic, sure its got its bugs and glitches, but what game has none? infestation and predator hunt are both insanely fun, while the many modes of deathmatch (3) are a great addition.

BTW: i have an hd tv on my xbox 360 and the graphics look GORGEOUS.

My gut tells me I will hate, so I'm gunna avoid this one, but good review. A lot of people seem to either love or hate this game.

I was going to say "I agree mostly with Russ...", but then I found this post and figured I could just quote it instead."

Angelo Credo:
I agree with most of the things in this review, however there are two things I'm stumped about.

1: Cover system? It's an FPS, and only when playing as the Marine, a cover system would have been largely useless as Aliens swarm your position so fast that they'd be in melee range before you even have a chance to make reasonable use of it. As an Alien or Predator, it'd be even more redundant.

2: Poor graphics? Seriously now? Maybe it looks like arse on the 360 version, I dunno, but fire it up on PC and it looks better than most other games I've played recently, even on DX9 mode, I fail to see how it looks old/dated in the slightest.

I can't understand why anyone would want a cover system in this when there aren't any firefights, and I don't understand what everyone's whining about with bad graphics. I thought they were great, and I haven't upgraded my computer's hardware for 3 years.

I've really given no attention to the multiplayer; my harddrive seems to be starting to kick the bucket, so sometimes things take absurdly long times loading, and I've never had it more evident than in AvP's multiplayer, where games start before everyone's finished loading. I had joined a 4 person Survival, because I loved it when I tried it singleplayer, and when I finally finished loading, I spawned at the VERY beginning of the stage surrounded by dozens of aliens (they can attack you before you finish loading), and there was only one person alive, about 3 floors beneath me. That's simply bad design.

So I've mostly stayed away from multiplayer, especially until they implement dedicated servers, and I still have no regrets with pre-ordering it back in January. I loved the campaigns, especially the Alien campaign and stalking marines as the Predator. I found the combat droids to be rather unfair at points in the marine campaign; I had gotten to my first group of them, where there were stacks of crates or something and I was outside; one of them ran straight at me with that sniper rifle thing and killed me. The Survival mode (I really can only do it solo for aforementioned reasons) is fun, more-so on the C-block map, which resembles something you might have found in the movie Aliens.

Wow I've really rambled. I'm just going to stop by saying that while Aliens vs. Predator has many flaws, it's simply FUN! But it is a niche appeal, you really need to love the original Alien, Aliens, and Predator movies to get the full enjoyment and references.

finally a fair review

its it me or do the aliens also look a bit too dinky... tiny little bastards...i think that the space is too open as well (from what i saw in the video) it might just be a claustrophobic kinda thing, but it always seems scarier if your in like a tight,dark hallway then an alien drops from the ceiling eats your face then starts eating the rest of you with 4-5 of his buddys...

People are complaining about the controls on PC. It does take some getting used to, but it is quite managable.

First thing you need to do. Set the Alien to auto-transition! It will save you a lot of hassle.

Second, run like hell. Aliens use speed. Get in, hit the bastard as fast as possible, and bang out in a hurry if things aren't going your way.

About the graphics. I honestly don't care if they aren't technically advanced. In the artistic sense, the graphics are perfect. It looks just like the Hadley's Hope Colony from Aliens.

It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.

Alien from AVP 2000 controls like a Ferrari. Alien from AVP 2010 controls like a Buick with a flat tire.

It's funny how no one who reviews this game even mentions the multi player, yet when Halo 3 sucked ass story wise, everyone rose to its defense using multi player as a shield.

It's true, this is those of those love em or hate em games, I happened to like it, but I do see its faults.

MortisLegio:

Only way to be sure.

Nerdfury:
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.

I agree, I actually think it's such an immature thing to hate the game on. I know people who saw it and went, it's ugly so I'm not going to try it.

It is a stylized approach visually, like Arkham Asylum.

finally a fair review

It was, except he didn't mention the multi player at all and that like with many shooters is a big part of it.

Worgen:
ehh graphics arnt that bad, altho Ive been playing games for over 20 years now so I know bad graphics, the main thing that bugs me about this review tho is the cover system thing, why would a cover system help anything? Im assuming you mean like the one in gears or something

Angelo Credo:
The review pretty much told me what I already know about the game, having played it for the past five days straight, that and nothing else.

Damn, that's exactly what I was thinking! How would a cover mechanic 'bring it up to date'? Does MW2 have a 'mechanic' to help you stand behind objects?! That bit of the review really jarred with me :/

On the other point of graphics - they looked fine in that video. Sure, maybe there's not funky volumetric lighting and HDR, and maybe the blood piffs are a little dated, but they are hardly bad graphics. More affordable perhaps, definitely easier to scale, but bad? Nah.

We should nuke them from orbit. Its the only way to be sure.

EDIT: Ninja'D like five times.

Killerbunny001:
If your not high on nostalgia, and I mean really high, the game sucks. All mechanics save the Predators have been done better by someone else a long time ago. Atmosphere wise except for some of the marine missions most of them are pretty boring and even the marine sense wears down just after the first alien encounter because when I saw the aliens in this game I thought of roaches and not the majestic beast of prey. All in all it kinda sucked for me, I`m no editor but I would definitely recommend a demo or something before buying it and not trusting Russ on this one.

I just can't overlook your post without saying that I completely DISAGREE.
I just got home a few hours ago from my friends house after playing the first 30-50 mins of each campaign, and for me, this is one of the games that seal the deal for me: I'm going to upgrade my computer. I didn't want to stop playing, I enjoyed every campaign.

Playing as a marine reminded me a bit about Doom III, but I felt more immersed and on edge in this one. If the radar is beeping, but you see nothing, you're probably gonna get attacked, but you don't know for sure. How will you know? They could be anywhere. Above you?! Nope...TO THE LEFT?! Nah...so, behi-AH SHIT FUCKING HELL DIE!
Though it could also be a false alarm, and you end up having walked around all tense and paranoid for no reason at all. The damn buggers sometimes mess with you like that, seemingly for the fun of it. Sadistic, remorseless killing machines as they are...

Playing as one of those aforementioned killing machines, I enjoyed my speed and agility. I was fast(!), I could effortlessly climb and walk walls and ceilings, and my black body blends perfectly into the shadows, which I can arrange by destroying lights using my tail. Sprinting on walls and ceilings to come up behind my targets to finish them with a trophy kill, while looking into their terrified eyes and hearing the agony in their voices, was very enjoyable.

In the midst of all this is the Predator. Oh boy...so much about them I like. Very complex to play, resulting in many possible approaches and methods to finish your task. You can stealth around humans, while zooming in on them and listen to their conversations right before you rip their spine out. But before you do that, you want to split them up so that the other one is completely unaware of his mates recent demise. This is accomplished by providing a distraction, fooling your target to think that a friendly human called him over to some dark and remote corner. Of course, that was just a trick, and now they're both going to die. Too bad.
But what I probably enjoyed most about the Predator was that you can jump around in one of the most awesome ways of jumping I've ever enjoyed in any game. You feel extremely immersed, and I found myself having a mad smile on my face half the time I was jumping around.
Same goes for the rest of the game, at least the 2 or so hours I tried.

And honestly, I don't get what people are complaining about when it comes to the graphics. What about it? It's no technological marvel, certainly no Crysis, but the details are there. It looks enjoyable. I never once found myself thinking "BOY! I sure wish that awesome-looking scene was in better graphics". Maybe that's because I played the PC version on high settings though, I don't know.

Anyway, I should probably have stopped a while ago, but I could easily go on for a long time and call this my own review. All I can say is, try this game before you judge it. It's not revolutionizing, but it's more entertaining than many games who were. A lot more entertaining. 4/5 stars seems fair, though I prefer a 10-point grade system, in which I would give the 2 hours I spent on this game something between 8.5 and 9.

From what I saw of the video review, if you whack the graphics upto max on the PC version its far better than its console counterparts.

Seems like a pretty fair review. Figure I'll get this once the price drops a little.

One thing. How could a cover system help? It's not like aliens are going to be shooting at you.

I agree with the review for most of it apart from a few points.

First being you don't need a cover system in the game as theres nothing really to take cover from. Secondly, while said the graphics on the console aren't great, that doesn't hold true to the PC (if anyone wanted to know). Having this game maxed out in dx11 looks fantastic.

Why the hell do we need a cover system? IS the crouch button not enough?... seems slow however, compared to the previous AvP, the aliens were so unpredictable!!!

Hello long time listener, first time caller...

Firstly thanks for the review, it was quite refreshing to have one that didn't boil down to "not CoD". Perhaps the reason so many people have such strong feelings towards this title is because they play it the same.

And then they get slaughtered horribly over and over again. I myself was amoungst the first with the demo (loved it) and one of the most frequent complaints were "YOU CAN'T THROW GRENADES?!?!" Which, as a mostly alien player, I have to wonder how much good they'd do with my speed. This is a rare fps, as in it requires a bit of forethought, and the knowledge that, say, when three preadators team up, it is almost always suicide to charge.

It is very fun though, killing the straggler marines that refuse to cooperate with the others because they think they will get more xp. And as for a cover/crouch system, it would not be helpful.

I just wish they would fix the matchmaking, I'm so very tired of waiting for a game to start, load, begin, host leaves, game over, start again...

Kind of what I expected in this review however I don't see the problem with the graphics they look just fine to me, sure there not amazing cutting edge graphics but who needs that.

The other thing that really bothered me was you saying there should be a cover system when avp really has no need for cover. You are fighting an enemy who can easily turn invisible sneak up and rip out your spine and another enemy who rushes in on the ceiling or through a vent to eat your face. If you stop to take cover and shoot you will quickly be over run, you have to haul ass backwards trying to kill them before they can reach you.

Maybe in a marine vs marine mach cover would make sense but if you do that what the hells the point to playing avp?

I don't think this game, or any FPS needs a cover system. I can't believe you actually suggested it would improve it... like really, Russ?

REALLY?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or