Review: Aliens vs. Predator

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Great review Mr Pitts, it really does sum up this game perfectly. I think it's a double edged sword, so much wrong with it, but there really is so much that is captivating!

Thank you for the review!

JB

Russ Pitts:
Review: Aliens vs. Predator

Despite presentation issues, Aliens vs. Predator has that elusive quality - fun - in abundance.

Read Full Article

I just gotta say this:

THANK YOU for an honest review. So many of the reviews I've read on this game seemed to either miss the point of the game, get hung-up on pointless issues, or both. Take the Game Informer review that marked the game down because the Predator had too much focus on Stealth. Shit man, I haven't even seen the Predator movies (yet) and even I know that the Predator is all about stealthing about. I'm glad to see that rather than griping about shit that doesn't matter, you acknowledge that yeah it's there, but none of it really matters. The bottom line is that the game is fun, and I think other gaming review sources tend to forget that little detail. Am I saying this game is deserving of a prefect score? Hell no, but it's certainly better than the 5.7 of 10 that GI gave it.

Nerdfury:
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.

Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.

... easily one of the most interesting and immersive shooters of all time.

Aliens vs. Predator is a game in which it's entirely possible to lose oneself to the moment and remember how videogames can be great - and why this one is.

I bagged the shit out of this game! The industry better look out for me and my crazy ways! WoooOooOooOo! 0_o

So, game play is good, story and graphics not so much?

Well, that's saying something. If I had to pick between those three things, game play had better be the best in a GAME.

Though I'm from the old gen systems, (SEGA Genesis wohoo!), and so graphics don't mean terrible much to me, (as long as I can tell what's what). I like a good story as much as the next guy, but I find Robot Unicorn Attack fun and I couldn't care less about the story for that. Though if it was a Final Fantasy game it had better deliver on story because that's why I bought it. But AVP? Game play should shine.

Too bad they couldn't do better in those other two regards.

Russ Pitts:

Nerdfury:
It doesn't do much to help the industry when Editors-in-Chief are bagging a game for it's graphics of all things.

Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.

Aliens vs. Predator is a game in which it's entirely possible to lose oneself to the moment and remember how videogames can be great - and why this one is.

I bagged the shit out of this game! The industry better look out for me and my crazy ways! WoooOooOooOo! 0_o

I'd always imagined that Editors-In Chief would be straight laced and uh... businessy... Thankfully you've proven me wrong... Good review by the way.

comadorcrack:
Well I personally Thought that it was a bag of Cock biscuits.
But to each its own...

Agreed. This game is absolute crap, and the only saving grace is the IP. The campaigns are absolute junk, they only contain about 3 hours of content that they copy/paste, and none of it is impressive in any sense. The multiplayer is pretty poor in general. It can be completely mastered in a couple hours, and all the maps are terrible.
This game is only slightly better than what I'd expect from a free mod. Rebellion is now on my developer blacklist.

I played this game, my inital excitement faded.

In the end, this was an average game.
To me, anyway.

Okay, after having read most of the responses in this thread, and judging from my own reaction ("What, a cover system? To the forums!") I think Russī comment about the game needing a cover system was actually some kind of meta-joke, that no one got. :-)

(If not: What, a cover system? What for?)

Russ Pitts:

Nerdfury:

Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.

Nicely done. Obviously someone didn't bother to read your review past the part they didn't like, then tried to come off like some intellectually gifted critic's critic. Gee, does that happen a lot on the intertubes?

Anyway, I loved AVPs one and two so I'll be picking this game up for sure.

My only question is how random are the Alien attacks? They were totally unpredictable in the first game, but scripted in the second. This will really be a factor with me in regards to replayability... Ok who am I kidding, no it won't. I still play AVP2 to this day. What can I say? I love the franchise. Even when you know where the bad guys are, they can still flank your ass, and I haven't played many games since then that got me quite that immersed on almost every playthrough.

Have you seen anything new about Aliens: Colonial Marines yet? I have been waiting for nearly 25 years for someone to come up with a squad based game in the Aliens universe, so I'm probably looking forward to playing that one more than AVP3. Getting blazed and going bug hunting with a bunch of buddies that understand tactics? Yes please.

I agree with some parts of your Review, for instance the bad writing and the forgettable characters and that it is kind of fun, unfortunately that's about it.

For instance, personally I enjoyed the Aliens campaign the most, followed by the Marines and didn't especially like the Predator gameplay that much.

The graphics DO look a bit on the bad side in the video, fortunately it looked nothing like that on my PC, especially if you also got DX11 features enabled and it probably plays a lot better with the Keyboard and Mouse also.

What annoyed me a little though was that all the levels in the 3 campaigns were basically the same ones, a bit enhanced maybe with a few more set pieces and new areas you can walk on with the new species but other than that the same.

Also, NOT ALL GAMES NEED A COVER SYSTEM, if you need to get into cover just hide behind a wall or a crate and shoot from there...
Personally I regard a cover system as a step backwards, that is only helpful in giving the player time to "aim" with his controller, seeing as it is inherently more unnatural and difficult to do that compared with a mouse (e.g. a dumbed-down console mechanic)

Some people love it, some people hate it. For me, I loved it, but that's because I'm a hopeless fan of the original incarnations AND the avp abominations (films I mean, games were also awesome).

It's nice to see a review give it merits outside of it's superficial flaws. Kudos

A cover system in AvP? That would be horrible.

i would like to point out that when you said that the campaign was short at 12-15 hours, most FPS games struggle to get to 10 hours mark. i only know RPGs that have got past the 10 hour mark without messing around

You didn't really mention the balance, or imbalance of the game. Allow me to explain. The little disks that the predator can get is very cheap. One hit kill, requires no energy and is the thing most predators use in matches. If you have played one online match, you know what I mean.

Also, the stealth kills. Just get behind someone and press one button? Works for me! Uggg... plus, doing that will almost guarantee your own death as unless you are alone in a corridor, far far away from anyone else, you will get killed instantly. Also, the flashlight is complete crap. To quote one of my friends "It's like they took it and smeared peanut butter all over it". Plus, no flares in MP? Those would have been really helpful...

Also, the game felt short. Way too short. Especially the aliens for some reason.

Despite these things, I still enjoy the game. I don't love it, but it's alright.

Russ Pitts:

Nerdfury:

Dude, you are so right:

4 out of 5 stars.

Apagogical sarcasm, Russ, really? Is that the best you can come up with?

Just out of curiosity. What would a cover system have added? I mean with the mobility of the Predator/Alien I can only see it causing frustration. Seriously hide behind a chest high wall and then they'd just jump behind you. Also since when did everyone become so fixated on graphics?

On pc the graphics were pretty good. To make things fit on a disc for x-box they are gonna have to cut some data, unfortunately the easiest place to do that is with the textures. What I think is funny is that x-box players complain about graphics where pc players complain about controls, just the price to be paid for cross platform games.

My problem with this game was mostly with the transitioning as the alien, the system that the 2000 AvP had where you just held crouch was so much smoother.

Oh and a Cover system? really? what ever happened to stepping behind stuff manually anyways?

Great review, and I couldn't agree more.

The point on cover is the one point i need to disagree with in this review as an alien and predator cover is not needed because you can hide pretty much anywhere and as a human you can count on cover when the monster can leap from building to building, climb on all surfaces, and turn invisable. honstly the smart human is the one constantly moving in a group making the monsters job harder.

I bought this game without any knowledge on how it was and guess what? I love it! It is a very fun game. It has it's problems but quite frankly so does just about every single game out there. Call me strange but I think the scariest thing is the marine's motion tracker. With it's shrill peeping getting faster and faster and knowing it's not a friendly, the motion tracker does a good amount of the "Freak the Hell out of the player"

I've only played/seen the PC version of this game in person and... well, it looks really good. Some models look bad, but most are really nice (especially the predator and aliens) and foilage, lighting, and animation are definitely next gen. So... is there a big difference between the PC and 360 version, or what?

I think im going to pick this one up cause the thought playing predator tickles my fancy.

I think this is one of those games which I will wait for the price to drop. This review was a lot more honest I think than many others I read.

A cover system in this game?

I could see it now, owning noobs as the alien from behind because they think taking cover is gonna protect them them. :D

Would be redundant imo.

I can't believe no-one said it yet, looks like it's going to have to be me.

THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE WALLS, MAN, THEY'RE COMING OUT OF THE GOD-DAMN WALLS!

Anyway, this has actually been on my "to-get" list for a long while, none of the reviews would've persuaded me one way or the other, it just looked like my kind of thing so I've got my heart set on it. Due to the atmosphere I think I'll mostly play it at night... mostly.

I thought it was the great review except for when he said the words COVER SYSTEM. now i will try not to rant but a Cover System is FOR 3PS Why would you go a step backwards? if you said something like leaning mechanics i would have agreed though

I want to get it and play it, but after trying the demo (I only had a chance to play as the alien so far) I'm still trying to get over a headache. Playing as the alien is a good concept but it isn't done well. The camera moves everywhere and with the iffy graphics of the game, it comes off looking sickening. I logged out mid-game (host or not) just so my eyes would stop hurting. I'm sure the marine and Predator wouldn't have been as bad, but I wanted to get off the game and do something else for a bit and rest my eyes.

I not to worried about the graphic of this game been last gen as to many games companies these days spend far to much time&money tryin to get their game to look a shinny as possible

From the sounds of it Rebellion put most of their work into gettin the design of the game play for the three different types of characters we get, making each one as different as possible which in turn gives us more to play with // I can see myself goin as Predator in this because when I played the 90's version the Marine missions scared the living daylights out of my and when I was an Alien I would die every three steps

But Bioshock 2 is on my list of games to buy before I can afford to get this one // I dont mind, I can wait

-M

I'll rent it when the local rental shop gets it.

This getting more mixed reviews than any other game I have seen in recent memory. I own it and feel that it is very in keeping with what I loved from the original PC in 1999 by Rebellion and the sequel from 2001 by Monolith. What I don't get is that because it is so reminiscent of it's old school brethren that it gets points taken off from it. The original games for PC were awesome and shared many of the same mechanics. What innovations would you like to have seen aside from the melee system? Granted we have seen stuff like that in other games like Xeno Clash, but it was great there and it makes attacking people a bit more of a tactical challenge than the original push the attack button to attack or push a mapped key to lung forward, which can still be done when you press the "focus mode" key to target and stun your prey.

You recommended a cover system for the marines, I don't really think this game needs it. Iron sight aiming would have been a nice touch though but again is not that necessary. In the end, people who hated the AvP movies are probably not gonna give this much of a chance, while the fans of the individual movie franchises, comics and the original AvP games will probably love it if they haven't picked it up yet. Considering that the game is selling well and that Rebellion is already talking about a sequel it is very likely that they will make improvements when they make that one.

One more thing, you (like most reviewers of this game it seems) totally left out the multiplayer game. I know that you have deadlines to meet and that doing a review just on the single player is easy, especially when a lot of games have MP tacked on as unnecessary feature, but with this game it is an essential part and always has been in this series. It's like someone only reviewing Modern Warfare 2 by it's single player experience, which is rather unoriginal and really only stands out for the spectacular set pieces. I doubt many people can tell me the name of a memorable character aside from Ghost (only because of his cool skull mask) and Ramirez (because of the internet memes). If you did that it would be like you only reviewed half a game because the MP is like a game unto itself for that series, the same can be said for the AvP games.

Nerdfury:
Apagogical sarcasm, Russ, really? Is that the best you can come up with?

One can never go wrong when using the appropriate tool for the correct task. ;)

Tell you what, though, the next time you feel the urge to lase me with pedantic fury over a review, try to read the entire thing. Calling me out as "harming the industry" for praising a game as "great" marks you as the fool, sir, not me.

None of these games has ever been "top of the line" in innovation, but they have always had kickassery, and atmosphere in spades :) I just need to save my pennies for a next gen system to get this latest installment! Too bad I came in 3rd for the Marines portion of the Escapist game haha :)

Despite some of the positive reviews I've read of AvP I think I'll most likely rent it.

First, I am a huge AvP fan. That being said, if someone could answer just one question for me, it would help tip my view on this game between "Pass" and "Purchase":

Throughout the video footage, I only saw one instance where all three races were "on screen" at the same time, when as the marine looking out a window you see an alien go splat thanks to a cloaked hunter's shoulder cannon. One of my big draws to the series was the dynamics of having -all three- races interacting with each other at the same time, which is why I love the arcade version of AvP and what left the 2000 version feeling lackluster.

My main interest in this game (being a chiefly single player gamer) is having the feeling of being in the middle of some bigger war, one chess piece in a game with three factions, each opposed to allowing the other two to continue breathing (although having the human-predator team-up happen again would be a practically orgasmic level of awesome) effectively making each side's play through feel like a dire or pivotal role in a larger conflict. From all of the footage I've seen, it seems to be a much more linear experience, and having criticisms levied against the game's writing really doesn't assuage my fears.

So, long story short: Is this the fatal 3-way I've been praying for, or just an FPS which has Aliens, Predators and Marines in intermittent bursts of solo performances?

I don't think I'd recommend this one. Mildly interesting with a handful of stand-out moments, but not a scratch on AvP2.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here