Five Great Movies About Videogames

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Five Great Movies About Videogames

Not all movies about videogames are terrible, you know.

Read Full Article

I love The Last Starfighter! Too bad the NES game was awful.

WarGames, what a classic! And I've got existnez recorded on the dvr so I'll be watching that one soon as well. I'm glad to see Gamer didn't make the list; neither the Gerard Butler version or the early-2000's French piece of crap.

Movies about video games aren't necessarily always bad, it's the movies based off of video games that seem to disappoint every single time. Those are some great ones you got there, though.

the last starfighter was a great film. numerous times after watching it did i dream of something similar happening to me. the biggest tragedy was that they set this film up PERFECTLY for a sequel and they never made one.

What about The King of Kong? that was a great Videogame related movie

star wars was pretty decent

No, no, no, no, NO. eXistenZ was a TERRIBLE movie and I cannot believe I suffered through it. I spent most of it thinking "Why am I watching this?! EWW. EWW. EEEEWWW!"

It was terrible sci-fi and the director clearly enjoyed watching people cutting up lizard-things and then doing close-ups of the action. Not to mention having what is essentially USB ports in the back of your spine, as well as those "gaming consoles" looking like giant freaking nipples.

And the acting was crap. I felt so ashamed to like video games after the portrayal "gamers" got in that movie. Uuuuurrrgh.

So it's not an actual video game movie, but the entire time I was watching Eden Log (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087842/) I couldn't help but draw parallels to how videogames unfold and the story - it was ripe for being made into or made from a videogame.

Thiosk taps his foot and waits for the reevaluation of the Mario Bros. movie.

Number 1 in bizarro world, number 1 everywhere!

Mortal Kombat
King of Kong

Both of those movies are both good and not having them is making me question your opinion on films more than not having Chun-Li, Dragonball, or Disaster Movie as the worst movie of 09

Eruanno:
No, no, no, no, NO. eXistenZ was a TERRIBLE movie and I cannot believe I suffered through it. I spent most of it thinking "Why am I watching this?! EWW. EWW. EEEEWWW!"

And the acting was crap. I felt so ashamed to like video games after the portrayal "gamers" got in that movie. Uuuuurrrgh.

I absolutely second that. eXistenZ is not just bad, it's painful.

Should've been replaced by "The Thirteenth Floor". True, it has more the Matrix "Fake Reality" Angle, but still, it's very much like the ultimate Second Life-ish MMORPG

The gristle gun is still burned into my memory.

Another in the VR model is Avalon, a live-action film directed by Mamoru Oshii (of Akira and Ghost in the Shell fame) and filmed in Wrocław, Poland. Overall I preferred it to eXistenZ, though it is entirely in Polish and like his other films has a "Er, what happened?" ending.

Why the fuck is Tron not in the number 1 slot?

I saw eXistenZ years ago and now that I know David Cronenberg directed it, it kind of makes more sense...still incredibly strange, but with a half-decent twist...

I liked the Final Fantasy movie. I know it wasn't final fantasy andthere were some very dodgy moments but it was still good.

You also forgot Pokemon: The First Movie.

uppitycracker:
Movies about video games aren't necessarily always bad, it's the movies based off of video games that seem to disappoint every single time. Those are some great ones you got there, though.

Yeah, I don't think anyone believes movies about Video games in general suck. It's just there's never been a good adaptation from a video game. But nice try anyway, Bob. I don't think there will ever be a good, non-anime adaptation of a video game; the differences in the medium are just too great.

Kinda sucks for me, as I can only watch anime when a comedian is dubbing over their lines to point out how ridiculous the medium is.

Other watchable "Video Game" Movies:

- Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children:
...it's a sequel to a video game, so yeah. The Story might be paper thin, but is tolerable, especially since the movie itself is an absolute audiovisual blast with great over-the-over-the-top-action. And i don't even like the game!

- Futurama: Benders Game
...okay, that one's about Pen and Paper RPGs more than anything. But most of the jokes definitely apply to videogames too.

- Crank
Come On! It doesn't even hide it! It might not be based on a Game, but it's story combines a premise of an arcade game on acid with the stupid, senseless fun of an open world action game like GTA and Saint's Row. And no movie captured this like that.

Never heard if a couple of them. May need to look into them!

The lack of respect for David Cronenberg in this thread disturbs me.

eXistenZ is a really well made film. I wonder what the people who hate it thought of Cronenberg's other films Videodrome and Naked Lunch. Maybe they just hate it because it is weird and has what can be called an "anti gaming" message.

If you look at board games as well as video games then I think Jumanji is pretty good film about a game. Games can be used as a good trigger for crossing the threshold from the normal to a strange world of adventure. Films about game mechanics or video game stories are just crappy though.

LiquidGrape:
The lack of respect for David Cronenberg in this thread disturbs me.

Cronenberg's film is on another planet in terms of quality to the other films but that is the one that gets the hate. Really, The Wizard is a fine example of the art of cinema but eXistenZ is horrible?

I stand by my belief that an Ace Attorney movie could be great. They just need to get the tone right, somewhere between My Cousin Vinny and Twelve Angry Men.

ckeymel:
So it's not an actual video game movie, but the entire time I was watching Eden Log (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1087842/) I couldn't help but draw parallels to how videogames unfold and the story - it was ripe for being made into or made from a videogame.

You know, I rented that on a whim ages ago and watched it all the way through. To this day, I have NO idea what it was about, and that's after reading the wikipedia article on it. Great film though, and you're right, could easily have been a video game.

OT - I agree with the top three. The Last Starfighter was just so awesome that it still remains one of my favourite movies, even after I've taken off rose-tinted nostalgiavision.

More Fun To Compute:
eXistenZ is a really well made film. I wonder what the people who hate it thought of Cronenberg's other films Videodrome and Naked Lunch. Maybe they just hate it because it is weird and has what can be called an "anti gaming" message.

It's one thing if a film is weird, but another if the plot goes nowhere other than a BIIIG STORY TWIST that almost seemed like a excuse for the plot going nowhere. And if the Dialogues are horrible. And it proves to have as much knowledge about videogames as other films have when they show a kid wildly swinging around a Playstation 2 Controller with 8-bit "boop-be-doop" sounds (Made even worse by the constant "I'm a Game Designer!" Lines).

I like Cronenberg, but for things like Eastern Promises, History of Violence and The Fly (one of the best horror movies ever made). But even when you compare it to stuff like Naked Lunch, eXistenZ is STILL pretty unremarkable and tame.

What about Blood Ra....HAHAHAHAHAHA! almost said it with a straight Face.

:) Good choices Bob. Tron was definately a good one.

if they remade Last Starfighter today, it'd probably involve Army Recruiters showing up at kids' front doors when they unlocked Call of Duty achievements: "You're pretty good at pwning noobs, son. Now, Uncle Sam wants you to pwn the enemies of freedom!" I can't decide if that sounds like the best thing ever, or the worst.

first episode of Stargate Universe used that same exact plot...

otherwise i pretty much agree with the choice, but i would have put Tron before last Starfighter.

wing commander was quite good to me, but not enough to made it top 5

Good list MovieBob, although I honestly think that The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters should replace The Wizard as #5.

people on the internet apologize to much, its the internet your going to offend someone, see you offended me by apologizing for offending other people.

I'm starting to hate moviebob for introducing me to TV tropes.
3 words: Electronic. Crack. Cocaine.

Edit: Why doesn't he have an Avatar?

T.R.O.N. should have been number one. Being the only game movie to spawn the game from the movie.

Resident Evil and Advent Children are probably the better "based on a video game" movies.

tho Advent is probably lost on non-ff7 fans.

Frybird:
It's one thing if a film is weird, but another if the plot goes nowhere other than a BIIIG STORY TWIST that almost seemed like a excuse for the plot going nowhere. And if the Dialogues are horrible. And it proves to have as much knowledge about videogames as other films have when they show a kid wildly swinging around a Playstation 2 Controller with 8-bit "boop-be-doop" sounds (Made even worse by the constant "I'm a Game Designer!" Lines).

Definitely agree. The plot had stagnated about halfway through, and so by the end I found myself apathetic about the whole situation. The "twist"... honestly at that point I yawned and said, "really? you're going with that? that's not a twist, that's a cop-out".

I guessed every movie on that list. I must say I had an awesome childhood.

I would put a case forward for the Matrix (first one) It ticks a lot of boxes the other ones do too. (also ticks a lot of Campbell's boxes) although you can argue that it seems to be about video games considering how much it inspired them retrospectively.

Something for your mind-grapes.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or