The Escapist Presents: Penny Dreadful

Penny Dreadful

Susan Arendt gets steampunked talking to Penny Dreadful Productions.

Watch Video

pretty awesome stuff, i wished there where an steampunk hobby related to cooking, burning the food and slapping on some wheels dont count.

to bad the big machine had no other function than pumping water in and out of tubes, it looked so awesome.

Steamy. This takes me back to the days of convention going and all the little works of craftsmanship you'd see here and there at the stalls or just as decoration for the con. I've always envied their creativity a little bit, and this is just as awesome. It's always fun to see people being successful with their creativity, working in teams and accomplishing these amazing things.

They nice costumes, they original and look like something from the 1950s

Yay for steampunk!

sephiroth1991:

I don't remember seeing anything like that in the first Back to the Future movie xD
I think maybe you mean 1850's?

I love Steam-punk and this has just made me more eager to help out my girlfriend with her Victorian, steam-punk re-telling of the story of Icarus...

Love it.

Archemetis:

sephiroth1991:

I don't remember seeing anything like that in the first Back to the Future movie xD

I love Steam-punk and this has just made me more eager to help out my girlfriend with her Victorian, steam-punk re-telling of the story of Icarus...

Love it.

It just reminded me of Bioshock and Fallout whichs theme is around 1950s

sephiroth1991:

Archemetis:

sephiroth1991:

Love it.

It just reminded me of Bioshock and Fallout whichs theme is around 1950s

Ah, yeah you have a fair point there, they do have a pretty heavy steampunk influence in the designs, especially Bioshock... How did I manage to overlook that, I was playing Bioshock 2 just yesterday... admittedly only with the drill, but even so...

hmmm, I've never really "got" steampunk... I mean unless it actually DOES something then I don't really care. I love huge steam engines you see at the science museum but that's mainly because of the ingenuity behind the mechanism, which kind of entirely goes against steampunk, the process of sticking unnecessary gaskets and gears on everything.

Daveman:
hmmm, I've never really "got" steampunk... I mean unless it actually DOES something then I don't really care. I love huge steam engines you see at the science museum but that's mainly because of the ingenuity behind the mechanism, which kind of entirely goes against steampunk, the process of sticking unnecessary gaskets and gears on everything.

Steampunk's just a fashion subculture, so it doesn't "do" anything, anymore than goth or fetish clothing "does" anything. It's just a bit more involved, and dare I say creative. But unlike most other subcultures, steampunk doesn't have a unifying identity. There are steamers who do the extraneous gaskets and gears like you mentioned, and others who think that those things should only be used in "functional" devices. And some of participants in steampunk groups I've gone to just do straight Victorian costume without gadgets or gears or goggles at all.

Since it is just a fashion-driven culture at this point, everyone's coming at it from their own angle. Other fashion subcultures like goth or cyberpunk have an underlying philosophy to them, but not steampunk. So the debutantes, dashing pulp adventurers, mad scientists, noble inventors, colonial soldiers, explorers, sky pirates and spies all mix and mingle for the time being.

Is it just me or does Erin Bushko look a lot like Maggie Gyllenhaal or Lisa Romano or a younger Maria Bello? I swear she must be related to one of them.

Always nice to see a bit of steampunk. AND Susan!

Nice costumes! Very sweet and steampunk!

Great costumes, and that guy was so cute! ^^ No wonder the old ladies love 'im.

AvsJoe:
Is it just me or does Erin Bushko look a lot like Maggie Gyllenhaal or Lisa Romano or a younger Maria Bello? I swear she must be related to one of them.

Thank you, I was trying to think of who she looks like.... Dark Knight continued to pop into my head and now I know why.

They had a lot more things to see at the conference. Our booth was diagonally facing theirs so we could see a lot of the costumes and artifacts that they had on display. By far, the best presentation and popularity of any steampunk centered company I've seen.

I think she means actress, and that is very cool, Im not talking about the steampunk (yes they're steampunk, ooooohhh) the fact that they did it so WELL is what I'm praising

Did I see a steampunk Boba Fett helm? If so these people can have my SOUL!

Simriel:
Did I see a steampunk Boba Fett helm? If so these people can have my SOUL!

Something like this, perhaps?

Nice albeit short interview. Would've liked to have seen more of their work, maybe learn a little more about them or their company. Seemed as if they didn't know they were going to be interviewed, or they're just nervous on-camera?

God that was a cool interview!
+ I really don't know what exactly, but right now I wish for a Susan Arendt doll.
OT: I wish these guy's would come to my town, too. :(

Hey guys, it's Erin from Penny Dreadful Productions. Thanks for all the awesome feedback. Just to answer a few questions, yes, that is Steampunk Boba Fett...you can check out him and the rest of our stuff at www.GetDreadful.com

Also, yes, it was a surpise interview, but we had a blast....feel free to let us know if you have any questions...or if you want us at a particular convention, just let us know! You can sign up for our newsletter or email directly from the website :)

Thanks again for the compliments, and hope to see you out and about sometime soon!
~Erin

OMG ITS MATT HARDY

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or