Review: Endless Ocean: Blue World

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Endless Ocean: Blue World

EO:BW has enough fun things to do underwater to keep you busy for far longer than most titles.

Read Full Article

I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive. Oh, and on that PC thing, too.

...Piranhas...
YOU RUN INTO BANKS OF PIRANHAS...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!
God the Japanese are crazy...

Onyx Oblivion:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive.

Same here as well but damnit this looks like fun.

Wow...never expected so much from a glorified diver simulator

Two things:
1. Did you say your own private reef? Like, can you put the types of fish you want in it? Because
Sting-Rays rule.
2. I saw the name Bob Jingle. Bob Jingle...

Tonimata:
...Piranhas...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!

I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.

Nice!Now,only if the game had an Aquaman skin...

Chipperz:

Tonimata:
...Piranhas...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!

I'm fairly certain it's near impossible for Piranhas to kill a man, especially if they know what they're doing (the person, not the fish). Of course, they're fucking lethal in James Bond, so I don't know what to think...

OT - This looks... Surprisingly calming. It reminds me of Flower in a way, just with a pulse gun and creatures that can kill you.

Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes, so I'm not sure either. Would definately not take any chances, though.

And yes, I would play that game. It does look relaxing. Damnit, now I want a diver's certificate! Better buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best.

I just picked up this game on the weekend. I really enjoyed the first one so this one was a no-brainer. There's definitely more gaming/tracking aspects, but they managed to keep what made the first so enjoyable intact.

When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.

Chapper:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes

Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?

I should give this game a look. I could use a bit of ambient exploration.

rembrandtqeinstein:

Chapper:
Well, I've read a large school of piranhas can eat a cow clean within a couple of minutes

Did you ever wonder why the cow was the standard unit of measurement when talking about the skeletonizing capabilities of small angry animals?

Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

Either that or the text book writers hate farmers.

dalek sec:

Onyx Oblivion:
I actually want to get this damn game now. I do believe the game would fare better on a 360/PS3, where they could up the graphics to make game just feel more...alive.

Same here as well but damnit this looks like fun.

Oh yeah, I would probably pay 60 for this if it came out on 360/PS3 or even PC. I'm not a big "OMG GOod GRAFIX = GG!" person, but a game like this could really be amazing if the graphics were top-notch.

Echolocating:
When I read/watched the review, I got the impression that the game is excellent for what it is, but why only 3/5 stars then? I don't get it. I think I've been conditioned by other websites to believe that 3/5 (or 60%) is mediocre. Perhaps you should have a link by the score to explain what the different ratings really mean. Or... are the scores meant for the hard-core gaming audience only? Like, if you liked Assassin's Creed, you might rate Endless Ocean at 3/5 stars? As I said, I'm confused.

I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean

BUT HOW DO YOU SHOOT YOUR GUN!?

WHERE IS THE COVER SYSTEM!?!?!?

WHY ARENT THEY TALKING IN GRITTY VOICES!?!?!?

AAAHHH!!! WHATS HAPPENING WITH GAMES!?!?!?!?

*twitch twitch*

Greg Tito:
I debated for a long time whether to give EO:BW 3 or 4 stars. In the end, it's a solid game which will only appeal to a few people. As a game, it works, but there's no single feature or gameplay element that pushes it into excellence. It just has a lot of features that add up to a really fun game. That's a 3.

Three stars. An average game. You'll play it and probably enjoy it. A month from now, you'll likely have forgotten all about it.

Well, it's a pretty unique "average and forgettable game". ;-) Sometimes, the atmosphere and experience is the element that pushes a game to excellence. Anyway, this is a great review. Seriously. I just don't get the scoring thing though, and probably never will; it feels like it contradicts your review.

Looks like fun. I am a big fan of nature documentaries (I recently got Planet Earth on Blu Ray, dear god its beautiful), but I don't have a Wii. I hope they'll do a port to PC or PS3 or maybe a sequel.

Also did the diver fart at 2:49?

So the game is basically a really long fetch quest?? I guess I shouldn't knock it until I play it but it doesn't seem very fun.

Greg Tito:

Echolocating:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7149-What-Our-Review-Scores-Mean

Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".

I enjoyed swimming around for a while in the previous game but don't really have the mindset for unlocking content. It was surprisingly enjoyable to do things like guiding someone on a dive then getting good feedback in an email.

I think I would prefer just going outside to fish only because I get free lunch and the pointless sense of achievement like no one hear cares about me catching a fish, So why am I even talking..... Good review by the way.

AC10:
Welcome to one of the several reasons the escapist never should have bothered with review scores. The comments are going to be swamped with squabbling over why it got a 60 instead of a 70 or why something got an 80 when it was "so totally a 90".

Just to clear one thing up though... I don't really care if Greg Tito liked or hated the game. I was just confused by what I thought was a really positive review coupled with a surprisingly mediocre score. But yes, this is a squabble involving a score. It was like, "This game is really good! I give it a 6/10." I'm just adjusting to this new grading curve, is all. ;-)

Wow, this looks awesome. I love fish etc, my dad studied marine biology and passed on his love of the ocean to me... but before you ask...

I can just tell that if i ever got this game, my life would be forfeit. I love exploring in games.

I've wanted a diving game for years, but I don't have a Wii. Dammit.

Chapper:

rembrandtqeinstein:

Chapper:

Uhm, no. I didn't.

But a cow's big, and skeletalizing a big thing in a short amount of time is impressive maybe?

There is a huge variety of Piranha species, and many of them aren't even carnivore. Plus, piranhas tend to be more dangerous around certain water conditions and seasons. The chances are, the diver is going to be encountering the harmless kind.

If I owned a Wii I'd get this game and play it. Too bad it can't be for the PC on steam...

maninahat:

Chapper:

rembrandtqeinstein:

Chapper:

Uhm, no. I didn't.

There is a huge variety of Piranha species, and many of them aren't even carnivore. Plus, piranhas tend to be more dangerous around certain water conditions and seasons. The chances are, the diver is going to be encountering the harmless kind.

The entire stripping a cow rumour was made up to support the idea of having an aquatic foe that isn't a shark.

sounds interesting, I always liked exploration and this sounds like it rewards you well for it, too bad I dont have money for it right now

HentMas:
BUT HOW DO YOU SHOOT YOUR GUN!?

WHERE IS THE COVER SYSTEM!?!?!?

WHY ARENT THEY TALKING IN GRITTY VOICES!?!?!?

AAAHHH!!! WHATS HAPPENING WITH GAMES!?!?!?!?

*twitch twitch*

CHEST-HIGH-WALLS!!! OH GOD WHERE ARE THE CHEST-HIGH-WALLS!?!?

Ooooh, that looks like a breath of fresh air.
I love random collecting.

It's so tempting to get the game. A nice, bright, water-based game with exploration. It's just too bad fish (or any kind of sea creature) make my skin crawl. I don't want to get freaked by some huge ass sorta creepy or freaky fish.

AC10:
So the game is basically a really long fetch quest?? I guess I shouldn't knock it until I play it but it doesn't seem very fun.

Greg Tito:

Echolocating:

Definitely liked it better without scores.

I once did articles for a page that used review scores too (for music, of all things), and i ended up not giving much thought about actual scores because you can NEVER GET IT RIGHT. (Aliens vs. Predator should be enough proof for that).

Games, like most other things, shouldn't be rated by a vague score, and these just distract from the actual review where you can point out the good and the bad so everyone can decide if the game is something he would like personally (despite bad/good scores).
Not that it is The Escapist's fault when readers just look at the given score, still, any scoring system is pointless.

Chipperz:

Tonimata:
...Piranhas...
AND JUST STAY THERE?!

Well, a bank of piranhas can completely devour a cow in less than 30 seconds. So by knowing what you're doing I assume you mean staying the fuck away from them :P

Crap this reminds me of that PSOne game that totally escapes me at the moment. Probably because it's the only other diving game I know of, but still it reminds me of it and that's important..to me.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here