243: Misadventures in Role-playing

Pages PREV 1 2

LTK_70:

The Youth Counselor:
Almost. But it's one of the few games that take into account your breaking character. You can't kill most of the main cast in the beginning of the game, but towards the end everyone is up for grabs.

For example in the Hell's Kitchen Bar:

On going into places you shouldn't reach:

On the captured NSF soldiers.

And don't forget Jock. You know what I mean.

The endless possibilities are also something from the Black Isle/Interplay days of Fallout that I cherished. I'm not in the crowd that spouts "OMG! Fuck Bethsada, they ruined Fallout. It should have been an overhead dungeon crawler," though I enjoyed Fallout 3, I was indeed disappointed that there are so few games like Fallout, Deus Ex, and Vampire the Masquerade.

I knew about the interrogation, did that every time just to piss Simons off. The ladies' room, rather than a place you shouldn't reach by mean of game mechanics, is a place you shouldn't reach because of social norms. Although I didn't know about the bartender, that's cool!

Uh, Jock? What about Jock?

wasn't it that following your choice of either investigating or not, the helipad in the Illuminati base, that jock would live or die?

Orcus_35:

LTK_70:

Uh, Jock? What about Jock?

wasn't it that following your choice of either investigating or not, the helipad in the Illuminati base, that jock would live or die?

Could have been, I don't know. The one time I did neglect to investigate, I watched the chopper fly away, and waited for it to go down in a blazing ball of black steel. When it didn't, I assumed there was no effect and didn't bother to continue with a bomb in the chopper. How silly of me!

Fwee:
Great story. Me and my friends are fans of "game breaking", lately I've been thinking about making my 10th Fallout 3 character to see if I can shoot Mr. Burke's pistol from his hand to stop him from murdering the sheriff.

You mean you want to actually stop Burke from killing the sheriff, or by doing it in a specific way.

Because, if you've played the game and you know when the scene starts, you just go into VATS and blow some holes in Burke's head and the sherrif is saved.

Richard Hannay:

rembrandtqeinstein:
And that is why Deus Ex is the greatest game ever. Because there was no way to break the story and no way to act that didn't produce consistency later on in the game.

Almost. It's possible (though very difficult and it actually depends largely on luck) to complete Deus Ex without killing Anna Navarre. The game does not account for this possibility and will continue as though you had killed her.

Still the greatest game ever, though.

No, in won't.
If you don't kill her, Gunther won't complain about it but complain about you leaving him as a prisoner, not giving him a pistol, or he simply won't like you.

I tried to mess with this game and as long as you don't cheat this game's consistency seems unbreakable.

Doom972:

Richard Hannay:

rembrandtqeinstein:
And that is why Deus Ex is the greatest game ever. Because there was no way to break the story and no way to act that didn't produce consistency later on in the game.

Almost. It's possible (though very difficult and it actually depends largely on luck) to complete Deus Ex without killing Anna Navarre. The game does not account for this possibility and will continue as though you had killed her.

Still the greatest game ever, though.

No, in won't.
If you don't kill her, Gunther won't complain about it but complain about you leaving him as a prisoner, not giving him a pistol, or he simply won't like you.

I tried to mess with this game and as long as you don't cheat this game's consistency seems unbreakable.

What? No way. That's not at all how it went down when I did it. I don't believe you.

EDIT: I've read that patched versions of the game prevent any NPC from opening that door, thus solving the problem. Don't know if that part's true, though.

If you don't believe me, start a game of DX and when you get to the part where you have to kill her in the HQ use the no-clip mode to avoid her. When you meet Gunther in the church you'll have one of two possible new conversations - depending on whether or not you rescued him in the first mission.

Deus Ex has some conversations that cannot be triggered with conventional means.

Awesome article, still building my consensus of what game to do an anti-walkthrough.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here