Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Bioshock had alot of things going for it, atmosphere, story, and gameplay. Bioshock 2 on the other is 60 dollars that has so far failed to impress me. It has failed spectacularly at drawing me in to it.

Hah not bad, right on the money for many parts. Still, I really enjoyed it, moreso than the first. Also, ADAM is far more necessary if you play the game on Hard mode.

Good point on the Big Sister's. What are they getting all pissed about when you save the girls? I suppose the point is Lamb sends them because you stole ADAM but it's silly.

Ooooh yeah. Yahtzee very neatly summarized every single thing that bothers me about Bioshock 2 - the ability to eat and drink despite the helmet, the stupid "10 years after" bullshit, and most importantly, the immense awkwardness of a sequel to original Bioshock's story.

Really, this game is just plain ridiculous.

It should inexcusable for a sequel to suck worse than the original game. But, can you blame a developer for experimenting with there own franchise to see what does, and doesn't work?

Latinidiot:
hmm, I disagree. I think Bioshock 2 is still fun. not as good as the original, but still good.

I agree with this assessment, as mentioned in my review.

I for one can't wait for "BIOSHOCK 3: CIRCUS OF VALUES PAIN".

Playing as a Big Daddy sounded good on paper, but then paper's a very flimsy thing, isn't it?

Demented Teddy:
I loved fighting the big sisters but that's just me.
I played on normal mode and was still owning the bitches....why is there an achievment for killing one without dying?

Yes, it was fun, but it was way to easy, IMO they could have made it rarer and harder for you to fight them.

And what?
I DIDN'T GET NO FUCKING ACHIEVEMENT!

I should have gotten it like 40 times over!

Hmm. But nobody expected an actual sequel did they?
Everyone just wanted 'more' of Bioshock. Never could quite work that one out actually. Maybe I shouldn't have played it on the PC.

Also, Yahtzee, you being something like the voice of thousands of hateful and disappointed gamers, I would like to ask you to mail yourself to the Valve HQ and bludgeon the shit out of those lazy cunts with one of your toy imps.
Seriously, when the hell are they going to release some news about Episode 3 or Portal 2?

Yahtzee said you can only save little sisters after they've collected 2 lots of adam for you, this is wrong. You can simply adopt them, take them to a vent and save them there. You dont have to defend them while they get adam.

I thought he'd rant on the Big Sister a little bit more but oh well and he did't ever mention the Brute Splicer which I think is the most annoying enemy in the whole game, even more annoying than the Alpha series since they can come in at any time and the Alpha series usually come in at predetermined times. Nice review Yahtzee!

I was wondering about the prototype thing myself. It's like if a character has some sort of latin title he automatically becomes more bad ass.

Knifewounds:
It should inexcusable for a sequel to suck worse than the original game. But, can you blame a developer for experimenting with there own franchise to see what does, and doesn't work?

Well, you certainly can if it doesn't work. In this case the "not work" was more thematic than mechanic, although there were still a few nigglings to be had at the mechanics.

I think I heard a punctuation in there someplace.

Maybe I'm on my own actually liking the defending the little sister while she milking the corpse dry. Setting up traps, and just sitting back watching the splicers get posted to a wall burning with the Rivet Gun's highest upgrade...

That said the plot was nothing special (I ignored it after the first or second monologue once it was obvious she was just the polar opposite of Ryan). Also the collectible recordings were a big let down.

Alright review, not laugh out loud funny. But okay.

A vending machine you say?

In that case I can't wait for Bioshock 3 multiplayer.

Well done, Yahtzee. While the rest of the journalistic community half-arsedly admit that BS2 is just an empty cash-in by nervously tweaking their score to 8/10, you tell it how it is.

You can actually rescue little sisters at any time you want. You can still walk up to a vent and choose rescue or harvest even if you haven't gathered any ADAM with them, the only difference is that the vent isn't highlighted.

The only thing more predictable than the review are peoples responses.

The only parts I agree with is that the Big Sisters should be more annoyed with you harvesting than saving, it would make those trying to get more ADAM (aka, the easier option) have something to worry about in return. The other part is that it was a little odd how they still allowed you to eat/drink/smoke, I never got that decision.

If you are going to bitch about the story then how about knowing it first, half the complaints made are explained and he says that Sophia Lamb's voice is annoying but didn't complain about it in Gears of War 2 where it's the same actress using the same voice.

the whole undertone of WHHHHYYYYYYYYY in the video pretty much sums up how I felt when i heard they were coming out with a sequel.

I thought I had misheard and perhaps it would be a prequel...but no.

Playing as a big daddy seemed so forced, and the first game ended where it should have.

BlueInkAlchemist:

Latinidiot:
hmm, I disagree. I think Bioshock 2 is still fun. not as good as the original, but still good.

I agree with this assessment, as mentioned in my review.

I for one can't wait for "BIOSHOCK 3: CIRCUS OF VALUES PAIN".

would you shoot alcoholic beverages at your enemies until they die, and play that little tune you get when you exit it?

42forlife:
I was wondering about the prototype thing myself. It's like if a character has some sort of latin title he automatically becomes more bad ass.

I suppose dumbing down the Big Daddy's is the equivilent of a kill switch? Don't make them too strong or too smart so they don't bite your frakkin' head off...Though considering they're one of three enemies in the game at actually pose a threat, they're not that much of a walkover.

And thats the reason i dont want to play it :]

I have only one niggle with the review - The chances of Tranmere Rovers scoring 3 goals? Bwahahahahahaha!!!

Oh, and different types of endings = evil forced-replay scourge upon the earth. Damn things.

I'm reminded of many a sequel by technically proficient companies: Better gameplay but a plot only a circle-jerk of complete hacks could find adequate as a follow-up.

I can't say I agree, I actually thought Bioshock 2 was better than 1 in gameplay mechanics and interaction, but then again I thought Bioshock wasn't much of a novelty as it is pretty much System Shock 2... just instead of a space station/ship it is an underwater... station and compared to that they're both okay/mediocre games.

He didn't consider the perspective of someone who hasn't played much bioshock 1 because he couldn't stand it. To be fair, someone like that wouldn't play bioshock 2 to begin with. But it happened in my case.

Er, can someone help please? Every time I try to watch the video, an ad pops up for battlefield 2. How do I watch the actual video?

Just like the SSBB review, funny making fun of something I enjoyed but then again it's your opinion I loved Bioshock 1 and Bioshock 2 is also on my favorite games of the year list. Oh and by the way I feel like this next remark is equaly as dangerous as wearing a star of David at a skin head meeting but, what about the multiplayer section?

I think Yahtzee pretty much hit the nail right on the head with this one. Bioshock 2 by all accounts seems to be a totally unnecessary sequel that was made for the sole purpose of making more money and nothing else.

play as vending machine? id love that! but it needs a "upgrade" section!

You had me thinking that you liked it up till 0:48, until you pulled the rug out from under us. Nice review, I agree about the whole Big Sister mechanic but I like the game anyway.

I actually want to play as a vending machine now...

I have to say that this is one of the first reviews in a while that made me laugh out loud. It was nice and fast paced and the comparisions were very apt (HL2 Gun Turret). Great work.

About what I expected for the game. Looks like more of the same but just not as good.

brilliant last line

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or