Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

PayJ567:
Ha, That was pretty funny review. Still mabye a bioshock prequel would have worked a lot better?

watch Star Wars: Episodes 1 & 2 (and arguably 3), then renounce your foul words cretin!

solidstatemind:
Amusing review. I knew Yahtzee would trash it, and was not disappointed.

Unfortunately, while he is entitled to his opinion, I disagree with it. I enjoyed the living hell out of Bioshock 2, and already have played it through twice. I got pretty good value out of my purchase, I think.

Some refined gameplay mechanics? Check
Some new gameplay mechanics to 'freshen up' things? Check
New locations that remain asthetically faithful to the original? Check
New plot, that stays thematically faithful to the original? Check
Same high production values as the original? Check
...and I could go on.

Now, obviously some ret-conning is going to have to happen, because the first game left little in the way of flexibilty for continuation, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Yahtzee made it out to be.

A perfect example of how Yahtzee is completely off-base on some of these points? There's a series of audio logs that specifically explain why the prototype Big Daddy (the player) is so much more powerful than what ended up as the "production" Big Daddy, namely:

The point is: the info was there if you cared to look for it. Clearly, Yahtzee doesn't have time to actually thoroughly play a game; instead, he has to rip right through them as fast as possible looking for elements he can excoriate, rather than provide a legitimate, in-depth review.

Which is exactly why I consider his 'reviews' to not be informational, but simple entertainment.

High five. Agree with you every step of the way. You have to take his reviews with a pinch of salt because, well... it's all about ripping the shit out of a thing; That's exactly why people watch them. Plus I don't think he has the physical capacity to enjoy anything in life because he's an evil man filled with hatred, spite, oozing with venom and bile BUT I think the sweet hat cancels out about 98% of that.

*puts on vending machine suit, and eventually kills self out of boredom*

While I always appreciate Yahtzee's critique it has been a little while since I LOL'd at one of them. (Even "beats the fuck out of me" was more an intellectual appreciation of a smart joke than actual laughter.) Nice to see the LOL moments back in this one.

MaxChaos:
Wow, the BF:BC2 background is a bit much isn't it? Am I the only one seeing that?

No, you're not the only one. For a second I thought the internet was screwed up.

Back to the game, I wonder why Yahtzee never mentioned being able to use both weapons and plasmids at the same time? For me, it's got to be the best feature, besides the new and improved hacking system. Plus there's just something that gets to me about being able to use the trademark Big Daddy drill. As opposed to the wrench.

kronoset:

PayJ567:
Ha, That was pretty funny review. Still mabye a bioshock prequel would have worked a lot better?

watch Star Wars: Episodes 1 & 2 (and arguably 3), then renounce your foul words cretin!

Excuse me but What the fudge are you talking about. George lucas made 3 fucking shit prequels so by this logic you come to the conclusion that all prequels are shit... Maybe next time you can be less of a Complete Utter Nice Turtle with your argument and logic.

Oh look, it's a big ZP banner that links you to a huge advertisement with a video on top of it! How subtle.

I liked Bioshock 2, but I have to agree about the way they pull every plot mechanic out of ADAM's ass. It doesn't just do genetic reconfiguration but also genetic memory, telepathic connection, plasmids from trace elements and whatnot? The hell?

Is anyone else unable to watch because of the Battlefield 2 pop up? Seriously, what was wrong with the way the ads were played before? I can't get my new Yahtzee fix now. :(

Yahtzee Croshaw:
BioShock 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews BioShock 2.

Watch Video

Nice review and very well put, although you could have made it 3 minutes shorter and said "Bioshock 2 is shit, don't get it" and the point would have been the exact same without all the icing for the cake.

Next week I know, I just KNOW, you're preparing to review Battlefield: Badcompany 2, but how about instead you review Supreme Commander 2 instead of another lame ass mainstream shooter. Please, think about it.

solidstatemind:
Amusing review. I knew Yahtzee would trash it, and was not disappointed.

Unfortunately, while he is entitled to his opinion, I disagree with it. I enjoyed the living hell out of Bioshock 2, and already have played it through twice. I got pretty good value out of my purchase, I think.

Some refined gameplay mechanics? Check
Some new gameplay mechanics to 'freshen up' things? Check
New locations that remain asthetically faithful to the original? Check
New plot, that stays thematically faithful to the original? Check
Same high production values as the original? Check
...and I could go on.

Now, obviously some ret-conning is going to have to happen, because the first game left little in the way of flexibilty for continuation, but it wasn't nearly as bad as Yahtzee made it out to be.

A perfect example of how Yahtzee is completely off-base on some of these points? There's a series of audio logs that specifically explain why the prototype Big Daddy (the player) is so much more powerful than what ended up as the "production" Big Daddy, namely:

The point is: the info was there if you cared to look for it. Clearly, Yahtzee doesn't have time to actually thoroughly play a game; instead, he has to rip right through them as fast as possible looking for elements he can excoriate, rather than provide a legitimate, in-depth review.

Which is exactly why I consider his 'reviews' to not be informational, but simple entertainment.

Agreed but I disagree with your excuse-for-Yahtzee. I spent less than 7hrs in the single player and really Yahtzee's "OMG T3H STORY POINTS" show a distinct lack of effort. A lot of the things he said were rubbish (e.g. Little Sisters being protected by Big Sisters) were quite clearly pointed out.

You can play the audio logs as you go along (i.e. you don't need to pause the game to listen to them), and I would suspect Yahtzee ignored this feature for some reason.

Play as a vending machine? GENIUS!! Yahtzee: you're in the wrong job!

I'm still looking forward to playing this game (eventuallly), but at least I know roughly what to/not to expect from it.

its funny, my mate loved it... its alot like the CoD6 game, shit game, story full of holes, but a pretty playable game...

brynnflynn:
Is anyone else unable to watch because of the Battlefield 2 pop up? Seriously, what was wrong with the way the ads were played before? I can't get my new Yahtzee fix now. :(

Well said

I won't be watching it until that's gone!

Xombee:
I haven't played the first Bioshock, so I figured I would just play the second. Sorta how my friend suggested I skip Assassin's Creed and just play the sequel.

Except Bioshock 2 now sounds like rehashed garbage and AC2 actually played better than its predecessor.

To be fair it is a good game... but the first was so good that Bioshock 2 just doesn't live up to the hype

Definetly play the first but don;t put off playing the second one because it is still good... I just felt as though the horror and suspense of the first game isn;t there, after all you're a big daddy with a sweet-ass drill :D You get great satisfaction when drilling a splicer's face... or maybe I'm just violent and psychotic :P

What's wrong with the player? Can someone fix this, please?

Almost lost faith in humanity when Yahtzee started trolling me at the beginning of the video.
"No way he thinks it's good! He can't! This game is utter bull just to make a quick buck off a successful game" i taught to myself while he was trollin' me. Thank god he was all like "GOTCHA"

Deathfish15:

Yahtzee Croshaw:
BioShock 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews BioShock 2.

Watch Video

Nice review and very well put, although you could have made it 3 minutes shorter and said "Bioshock 2 is shit, don't get it" and the point would have been the exact same without all the icing for the cake.

Next week I know, I just KNOW, you're preparing to review Battlefield: Badcompany 2, but how about instead you review Supreme Commander 2 instead of another lame ass mainstream shooter. Please, think about it.

1) that would have made it 4 minutes and a half shorter
2) the icing for the cake is the exact reason for most people to watch Zero Punctuation
3) he couldn't have left it like that, he'd have had to say "as is this review" as well

and i don't want to make it no.4, because its really not relevant. You do know he barely ever does requests right?

anyway, onto my actual comments, I do disagree with Yahtzee in a lot of ways. Mainly because from everyone who's played it, i've heard its actually worth getting. granted, not the exquisite experience of the original, but still pretty damn good considering. They also said that the new plasmids were fun too, something which Yahtzee seemed to completely ignore.

But Yahtzee did make a good point, if by 'good' i mean 'funny due to hyperbole'
"It would be like playing a Gun Turret from Half Life"
made me laugh at the very least...

I definatly agree with him on the story-line though. A prototype being stronger than the final product? and yes, i have been told the bull-crappy 'this will fill in the holes!' version, that is so Cliche that at first i didn't believe him. they were too strong to control? it makes it hard for me to believe that it has the same writers, who would never have dreampt of reverting to such Cliche. (sorry, don't know how to do the accent on the 'e')
If they had merely left it as "because he only bonded with one little sister" i would have maybe found that more acceptable... other than the fact that surely that creates a stronger fighting will/power to protect that one little sister.

meh, but whatever, it was an entertaining review, Bioshock 2 still sounds like a good game in my opinion, but it does have its faults.

I just finished the game the other day and I did like it a lot! Might have seemed more new to me cause I played the first one on PC and this on Ps3.

I think it works even though the story is hokey

PayJ567:

kronoset:

PayJ567:

Excuse me but What the fudge are you talking about. George lucas made 3 fucking shit prequels so by this logic you come to the conclusion that all prequels are shit... Maybe next time you can be less of a Complete Utter Nice Turtle with your argument and logic.

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that if you make a bad sequel, a prequel is not really going to change anything unless it's developed by a different director. And please do not call me a cunt in a subtly concealed way--or any way for that manner; it detracts from your argument. So to correct you, I'd say that a prequel, made by a developer of a bad sequel will most likely NOT be a very good prequel. It doesn't matter when you set something, if the very foundation of the story-telling is bad, then it will continue to be bad until that issue is addressed.

Well, I've finished Bioshock 2 and rather liked it. Rapture isn't as fresh as it once was, but there's enough new stuff that it kept me gripped. Not the best game ever, but pretty good.

And you could have at least MENTIONED the moderately fun multiplayer.

kronoset:

PayJ567:

kronoset:

PayJ567:

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was suggesting that if you make a bad sequel, a prequel is not really going to change anything unless it's developed by a different director. And please do not call me a cunt in a subtly concealed way--or any way for that manner; it detracts from your argument. So to correct you, I'd say that a prequel, made by a developer of a bad sequel will most likely NOT be a very good prequel. It doesn't matter when you set something, if the very foundation of the story-telling is bad, then it will continue to be bad until that issue is addressed.

First of all the cunt thing was a joke and was regarding the presentation of your argument.
Secondly I was meaning originally there should have been no sequel just a prequel. Learning about the origins and stuff or rapture would be excellent.
Next time maybe present your argument like you just did and I won't mistake you for an idiot as I can now see that you had a good point and you had misunderstood my original point.

i'd play as a vending machine

PayJ567:

kronoset:

PayJ567:

kronoset:

PayJ567:

First of all the cunt thing was a joke and was regarding the presentation of your argument.
Secondly I was meaning originally there should have been no sequel just a prequel. Learning about the origins and stuff or rapture would be excellent.
Next time maybe present your argument like you just did and I won't mistake you for an idiot as I can now see that you had a good point and you had misunderstood my original point.

Fair enough comrade.

combat was improved. Also, why can't people realize that the big sisters aren't random, they only appear after you've dealt with all the little sisters in an area.

Whooo! Another ZP video watched without sound. I'm sure it makes more sense with audio, but I'll have to do that later.

In short I liked bioshock 2 because it was good fun crushing the skulls of splicers... I did think that the gathering bit was a pain in the arse but made incredibly easy by adding the trap rivets and later on the trap spears which was pretty much the only thing I bought later on in the game. Comparisson to the first I agree the original was better but thats not what I want to rant about.

At 1:36 you put in the video a tack ontop of the original gamebox and to my utter digust you then stuck the front cover of "The Colour of Magic" paperback to it. (Yes I'm a Pratchett Fanboy) Comparing "Bioshock 2" to "The Colour Of Magic" is like comparing a really large slab of rubbery emmental with its gassy bacteria and gaping holes included to a Strawberry cheesecake made by its first creator after mastering the recipe balancing the mixture of sweet and savoury in perfection. ITS NOT EVEN A SEQUEL! Rincewind, Twoflower and the luggage have cracked me up everytime in "The Colour of Magic" and then again in THE sequel "The Light Fantastic" which isn't the best book but still very good for a casual read, admitedly some books weren't as good as others in the series but without knowing pain and pleasure how can you experience pleasure to its fullest extent. If you are as brilliant as I perhaps think you are, then the appreciation of a good writer shouldn't be beyond you and I cannot understand why you have seemingly at random chosen this book to pin to a game that doesn't really compare. Plenty of other books to choose from all of which would have made a better analogy.

A blot for me on a very entertaining selection of reviews the cod 4 review still makes me laugh.

I do however also understand that the chances of this bleating sheep being heard over the chorus of Yahtzee loving sheeps is unlikely so I won't be expecting a response.

A very nice review. I agree with how sequels should be, jumping off points instead of "how much money can we get out of this series" crap shoots. For the people who think gameplay makes this a better game than the first I'd have to say that giving a game props on its gameplay means nothing these days since the gameplay for most games is unoriginal and repetitive so that plus bad story = shitty game overrall. At least the first one had a good plot, still had relatively unoriginal gameplay though. Also the prototype being stronger does make sense because that's usually how it is with everything. You make a super badass prototype as kind of a test and then make an inferior version since it's easier to mass produce.

MuD3:
i don't even see what was so great about the first one..

Seconding this...

I agree with what you said about the big sister. I mean, if your not killing the little glorified containers, protecting them while they harvest ADAM, and just saving them before the container-turned-npc goes into the vent, then what reason does the Big Sister have for trying to stick a 4 foot needle down your skull?

Ether way, I liked the game. Good review as always Yahtzee.

meh, the problem was that the first game was based partially on the philosophy of ayn rand, that and its atmosphere gave it its charms. By being put into a big daddy suit, although your not such a beast(in terms of health)kinda ruined it for me. Then again im a bioshock fanboy so im gonna finish it anyway :D

You revealed a few major plotlines here, good thing I already finished Bioshock 2.

Whose face is that @ 1:07? That guy is used in nearly every review and I will die unfulfilled unless I find out who it is.

PLEAAAAASSSSE!

Phoenix09215:

Xombee:
I haven't played the first Bioshock, so I figured I would just play the second. Sorta how my friend suggested I skip Assassin's Creed and just play the sequel.

Except Bioshock 2 now sounds like rehashed garbage and AC2 actually played better than its predecessor.

To be fair it is a good game... but the first was so good that Bioshock 2 just doesn't live up to the hype

Definetly play the first but don;t put off playing the second one because it is still good... I just felt as though the horror and suspense of the first game isn;t there, after all you're a big daddy with a sweet-ass drill :D You get great satisfaction when drilling a splicer's face... or maybe I'm just violent and psychotic :P

Am I the only person who thought it was better than the hype?
Everyone knew it couldn't be as good as the first and some of the plasmids were extremely overpowered, but the tension is so great! Not the same horror tension, but more like a caring father this time. I loved killing big sisters. I loved protecting the little sisters. I f****** loved being a Big Daddy!

A little short though...

well because by transforming them back into girls you render them useless in terms of collecting adam and so futil for lamb.

Uh, do you realise you can skip the little defending bit, even if you want the good ending? You only have to guard the little sisters if you want a little extra ADAM. You can just bring them straight to the vent, ignoring the corpses.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here