Zero Punctuation: BioShock 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

I wasn't expecting this to be so funny! I thought I'd just gotten used to the ZP humour and that it's more of an inside-laugh kind of funny now. Not this review. This was the best one in a long time! Hell, it's so good that it has gotten me to post a comment on a ZP video O_o

The part at the end is the reason I didn't buy this one. Bioshock 1 was great. I loved it. It was pretty much perfect. It ended well... I'm worried about the retcons, but I do think I'll eventually buy it on a Steam 99% off sale in a year or two. This is the same reason I'm worried about a Portal sequel. Hrm...

Thanks for the "review"! I hope you review Bad Company 2!

You know, I'm getting tired of the concept that we're eventually going to make a giant robot/mutant/superhuman to work for us and not install a bomb or something similar on it's brain in case it becomes self aware/goes crazy/decides there's no reason to serve someone inferior.
If I can think of it, certainly someone capable of a feat like that would as well. Asimov talked about the three laws sixty years ago, for fuck's sakes.

Yep, I knew it; Bioshock 2 isn't that great. It is after all a sequel and by definition must be worse than it's predecessor.

I fail to see what is wrong with sequels. Here is a little food for thought:
Game Y is a sequel to game X. Game Y appears to just be game X with some cool new stuff thrown in. Game X is awesome. Cool New Stuff is cool and new. Therefore: Game Y is awesome, cool, and new.

Very very very very very very very very funny, as usual.

MaxChaos:
Wow, the BF:BC2 background is a bit much isn't it? Am I the only one seeing that?

Wait when in the video did you see that? (Yahtzee has never reviewed aa BF game so I want to hear is opinion on them)

nay, in bioshock 3 you'll become a big sister. or a big whelp.

That basically summed up my feeling having finished the game. I adored the first game, the second one made me wish I had never played it. The ONLY improvements it brought to the table were the better hacking, having both hands out for combat, and fixing Insect Swarm and Cyclone Trap to be not shit. In return we suffered a hugely formulaic romp that's story was almost as plothole-tastic as MW2 in a world that was all about atmosphere but this game sorely lacks in.

Oh, and the multiplayer is possibly the worst thing ever created. Terrible balance, terrible netcode, and they're CHARGING for 'DLC' that will further break it. GG 2k, you hit the fuck up trifecta.

Souplex:
Game Y is a sequel to game X. Game Y appears to just be game X with some cool new stuff thrown in. Game X is awesome. Cool New Stuff is cool and new. Therefore: Game Y is awesome, cool, and new.

In this case, Game Y (Bioshock 2) adds 3 marginal upgrades to Game X (Bioshock) and strips it of all character that made Game X interesting. The story was garbage, the Big Sister encounters were entirely scripted and not random, none of the characters had any real character.

L4D2 is an example of a sequel that takes everything that made the first great and improves upon it. Bioshock 2 and Deus Ex 2 are examples of how to tank a franchise with a horrible sequel.

A prototype can be stronger than everyone else because the original vision might have been too expensive to mass produce so they dumbed it down.

realy. i felt bioshock 2 was better. better combat and a more orgonil story.

Well, your review once again shows that you're not that great at video games. I've barely ever had trouble saving the little sisters, especially considering stuff is fairly cheap, ie health kits. Have at least a small plan and you should live through it without too much trouble.

People, please don't let this "review" make you not get Bioshock 2. It's a great game, he just uses hyperbole because that's entertaining.

I'm not liking how Yahtzee is the first person to complain against realism but when a game has a few holes because it isn't real enough (eating food etc), he then call it out on it!!

Karlott:
I haven't played Bioshock 2 yet. I guess I can't say I'm surprised by Yahtzee's verdict. Still, I can't believe I hadn't heard from anyone else in any other review mention having to defend little sisters from splicers if you want the good ending. How lame.

Actually Yahtzee's wrong there. My first playthrough I wanted to be good for once, and the only real difference if you want the good ending is you just have to find a vent to rescue them. It doesn't matter if you have done the two gather's or not.

I do like how I have to earn my happy ending, but I still don't get why 90% of Rapture isn't an aquarium.

Does anyone think that having Rapture be the setting for this game was a mistake? I think the developers should have tried something else, like

making a new IP instead?

a friend of mine said it's better than the first one.

If your space game went REALLY well, Mr. Yhatzee, what requirements would have to be met first before you consider making a sequel and working on the other parts (I.E. New plot, new gameplay, new graphic etc)

Ahhh the sequel where its no longer "kill/free little girl" its "Baby sit/kill little girl" Bioshock 3 you must have to adopt the bloody things.

Souplex:

Because Game Y + Variant #A does not equal good game.

Variant A could be good things tacked on or bad innovations. In the case of Assassins Creed we see Game X + Variant 1A - Repetition N = Good Game Y. However in the case of Bioshock we have Good game X + Variant 2A + Arbitrary story = Inferior game Y.

If your statement was true than every game would benefit from a sequel. Truth is only some do and the ones that really need a sequel (Beyond Good and Evil) don't even get one whilst Bioshock, a game that ended with you either taking over Rapture (So if you got the Evil ending it basically makes no sense that Bioshock 2 can even happen) or blowing it up.

Please leave that ad for Battlefield: Bad Company Whatever up there, and please let it interfere with the video some more. That way, I can guarantee that only idiots will let an ad like that persuade them to BUY Battlefield: Bad Whatever, as opposed to avoiding it like the plague as it convinced me to do, and that means fewer retards I have to play against on the servers of games that I like.

Oh, and BioShock 2 is awesome, Yahtzee is wrong for numerous reasons that have already been mentioned earlier in this thread so I won't waste page space reiterating them, et cetera, et cetera.

Oh hey! The Quadratic formula, used for working out the two possible values in an x-squared equation, never thought I see that in an internet show! Good review, never understood Bioshock 2 in the first place.

PrototypeC:

1337mokro:

PrototypeC:
What if, for Silent Hill 3, we let them play as Red Pyramid? No no, it's the prototype Red Pyramid, forced to find his identity in an uncaring world, but with a heart of gold. Eh? EH?

Sounds interesting but you mean SH6, they already did 3-5 :).

I'm chanelling some imaginary dipshit after the success of Silent Hill 2, circa 2002. And please tell me you're kidding about it being interesting!

Its-a Sarcasm. But good thing your stuck in 2002. Saved you allot of miserable games.

The enemies in 2 are better, they're more varied and travel in packs. I'm also more motivated, I need the Big Sister to survive. In 1 I just did shit because a guy I never met asks me kindly to do stuff. The weapons and plasmids are stronger, especially those plasmid upgrades that yahtzee ignored due to ignoring adam. And the only reason he didn't need them is because he didn't take up any gathering. You can still be evil after you let little sisters gather adam, if you don't you just get a lot less adam. So the choices are better too in that respect, as well as the fact that you get to decide if you'll assist in suicide, kill somebody who's got a grudge against you but is otherwise fine, and whether or not to kill somebody who's responsible for your fate. Also you get to dual wield shit and not have a horrible ending in 2.
I'd also like to mention that the prototype big daddy is better than the other's because he was too expensive to make on a large scale.
Oh, don't get me wrong by the way. 1 is still scores better than 2 in pretty much every field except gameplay, which I feel 1 get's trounced in.

I actually liked the second game, but to each is own. and yes, I hated the main character of two as well.

hah, every time you say splicer Yahtzee it makes me giggle...anyway, i agree mostly, story wasn't nearly as good, everything was the same pretty much, and the hacking really was an improvement...was i the only one who thought that the story would have more of a twist in it? i was extremely disappointed when i found out that people made the big sisters...i was hoping the the big sisters were just little sisters that grew up in rapture made themselves some armor and just went around at their free will helping little sisters. Game was a disappointment but was still fun...and isnt that almost all that matters?

Whoa. That review blew my mine. I'll admit that because game numero two of Bioshock is inferior to the first game, I may actually start to lose faith in humaity the earth mother, and the time father. But, she allowed the first to exsist and be as gnarly as it was, so I still got a trunk full of confidence and optimism for both those three.
I just pray that 2K Boster'ino makes the third game, and not someone else :)

Playing as a vending machine? Hmm...
"Welcome to the circus of value, mother****ers!"
Actually, sounds OK compared to the idea of playing as Big Daddy.

As much as I loved Bioshock 2, this did make me laugh a lot.

Bit of a return to form for ZP, methinks.

Though it will be annoying seeing all these people suddenly start to hate on the game because Yahtzee did.

Lord_Gremlin:

El Ammo Bandito is gonna fill you wit lead gringo!

Actually you might have a point there.

Well that one vending machine did shoot out frag grenades... hm maybe it was a prototype that accidently lit all the matches then it turns out to have advanced AI (for a vending machine in the 1950s?) and it manages to break its bonds of selling knick knacks and uses its mighty power of frag grenade lighting ability...Also because of adam it can move, think, shoot, dance the cha cha....

god you know I could see them doing something like this now that adam can do anything

would you kindly not tell them this idea.

1337mokro:

Lord_Gremlin:

El Ammo Bandito is gonna fill you wit lead gringo!

Actually you might have a point there.

lol I know what gringo means

content face =|

That was unexpected

Demented Teddy:

I loved fighting the big sisters but that's just me.
I played on normal mode and was still owning the bitches....why is there an achievment for killing one without dying?

I played the game first time on hard and at the first Big Sister I killed it without dying, it really wasn't that hard. The game is a little repetitive, shock and smash, rinse and repeat. Still fun though.

The game is definitely better game-play wise than the first but the storyline was a let down, no real twists and a bit bland.

really good episode yahtzee

actally yahtze you dont have to collect atom with the little sistures you can just put them in the vent

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 . . . 16 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here