Shamus Plays: LOTRO, Part 7

Pages PREV 1 2

Blackbird71:

You are both aware that nursery rhymes were not intended for entertainment, but as ways of remembering bits of history, right? In the days when most of the populace was illiterate, stories and rhymes were used among the common folk to recall certain people and events. For example, "Ring Around the Rosie" = the Plague, "Mary, Quite Contrary" = Mary, Queen of Scots, etc. As such, they were never intended to be "enjoyed," but rather to be learned from.

Can you tell me how:
"To market, to market to by a fat pig.
Home again, home again jiggety-jig."

has anything to do with history? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Mortagog:

The LotRO makers must really hate hobbits then I guess. And I hear you on the "kill x number of y creature" quests; mosts dev's seem to lack the guts to create their own version of the wow-formula. And no matter how innovations they add, the core remains the same, and the fate of those games is inevitably depopulation as the players go back to wow. But I digress...

Do you recall who says it and when? I really can't recall, though it wasn't exactly yesterday I saw that flick (the word flick doesn't do it justice really, but it sounds hip).
I'm also a fervent hater of nursery rhymes and I can't recall that I enjoyed them as a kid either. Down with Mother Goose!

That quote from the movie comes when J.F. Sebastian walks through the door to his aparetment with Pris. J.F.'s little toys come marching in and they say, "Home again, home again jiggety-jig. Gooooooood evening J.F."

I'm surprised that after all that fuss about Dirk Mudbrick, the comedy gold that is "Gail Catchpole" was left on the table. Guess more NPC name jokes might've been pushing it at this point, though. And those ones would've been a little risque.

I was wondering if I was the only person to chuckle at three women fighting over who gets the pole...

matrix3509:

Blackbird71:

You are both aware that nursery rhymes were not intended for entertainment, but as ways of remembering bits of history, right? In the days when most of the populace was illiterate, stories and rhymes were used among the common folk to recall certain people and events. For example, "Ring Around the Rosie" = the Plague, "Mary, Quite Contrary" = Mary, Queen of Scots, etc. As such, they were never intended to be "enjoyed," but rather to be learned from.

Can you tell me how:
"To market, to market to by a fat pig.
Home again, home again jiggety-jig."

has anything to do with history? Yeah, I didn't think so.

Actually, that one wasn't a nursery rhyme, it was a song, so I suppose the whole conversation has gotten way off track now. ;)

Double poast. Sorry.

Blackbird71:
Snip

I did not know, but that certainly isn't true for all rhymes. They are nothing but friggin weird and pointless today regardless.
After explaining what Ring Around the Rosie is about (which is pretty apparent if you think about it), they are now macabre as well. Blech.

matrix3509:
Snipsnip

Ah, right. The residence of JF Sebastian always freaked me out. That scene is like one long nursery rhyme. *whimper*

I love this series so far. Those quests are really, really bizarre and stupid, but I kind of love them too in a weird meta sort of way...

Saw your tweet about an alt for LOTRO. My favorite is Hunter as you are a deathdealing glass cannon that has to use actual (if limited) strategy in your fights. Loremaster is ok, but Gandalf you ain't, not by a looong shot.

Never played the new Runekeeper or Warden classes though, you might want to check those out before making your decision.

w00tage:
Saw your tweet about an alt for LOTRO. My favorite is Hunter as you are a deathdealing glass cannon that has to use actual (if limited) strategy in your fights. Loremaster is ok, but Gandalf you ain't, not by a looong shot.

Never played the new Runekeeper or Warden classes though, you might want to check those out before making your decision.

I have not played as a Runekeeper, but a Warden was my main and they're pretty good. Their way of using attacks is a bit different than the other classes, you have to get certain patterns of weaker attacks to use a more powerful one, but overall I'd say it's a worthy class. My only problem with it is that Warden's don't wear heavy armor, but they still can tank pretty well.

Oh and I forgot to mention... their names are so lame... catchpole... srsly...

I think these brigands aren't too bright. They raided the town and only destroyed the tavern. and now they steal a bunch of junk. They totally fail as bad guys. Hell... even their leader jumped into the fire to escape...

WaderiAAA:
So you do all the work and get 0.018 percent of the money? I can't remember having heard about any deal more horrible than that.

Yeah, the Nigerians who keep emailing me trying to get me to help them recover their family fortunes offer me MUCH larger percentages... ;-)

reading these actually gives me an impression of this game that is completly in line with when i played the demo: An MMO written pretty badly (After Tolkien himself theres that 99% of going downhill anyway)
But at least you make some fun about it for me, huzaa.

Ah the "logbook" of doom... see what I did there? log... book? Tree diary?
Damn, forget it!

Nice job Shamus. I like the common sense rationale thrown into the completely irrational quests like th tree diary, err logbook, one

note to self...skip certain quests lol

love your responses to them tho. esp when they don't make sense

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook