The Truth About 4th Edition: Part Two of Our Exclusive Interview with Wizards of the Coast

Pages PREV 1 2

Razzelmire:
"Why did you piss off so many of your loyal fans by destroying the mythology built around D&D for over 30 years?"

I'll give you this one. It's a fair question. I think it was alluded to and dodged. Would've been nice to see a bit more of a push here.
(Although, honestly, you fans of 3rd Edition and AD&D really don't understand how much of the mythology was already "destroyed".)

Razzelmire:
"Why did you continue to piss them off by altering every aspect of D&D so that it no longer resembled anything like any of its predecessors except in some terminology?"

Oh, yeah, why didn't you relentlessly hound Andy Collins with cry-baby whining, Escapist staff?

Razzelmire:
"Why can't you understand that the MMO generation doesn't give a crap about WoW-on-Paper when they have tons of actual PC games to play. Did you realize too late your largest customer base were the old schoolers?"

That's not a question. It's hardly even a rhetorical question.
And it's a misguided rhetorical question, since the main customer base of 3rd Edition definitely didn't consist of "old-schoolers".

Razzelmire:
"Will 3E return if 4E continues to fail?"

No, obviously. Do you need to ask?

-- Alex

I think re-doing the boxed sets are a good idea. I also think that their desire to get "those kids nowadays" into D&D by streamlining 4e was a good idea poorly executed. From an outsider's point of view, 4e isn't that much less complex than any other version; it's still hundreds of pages worth of picky little stuff. It's certainly not "let's get the twitch monkeys into the action fast!!!" It also doesn't make its value proposition clear. "Hey, we're kinda like a pen and paper WoW" begs the question of "Why am I not just playing WoW?" I would think that e.g. the role-playing aspect would be a distinguisher, but in 4e they really focused on the rules may more than other aspects.

Maybe the boxed sets (if they think carefully about the real user stories/use cases) will be a better way to introduce younger gamers and cross-pollinate with other genre/CRPG fans.

4th Edition did not capture even half of the third edition base. At any convention, 3.x edition games outnumber 4th edition games. It has failed super hard.

That is why 4th edition is being surreptitiously dropped. New books have stopped being solicited, and new releases have stopped being announced in favor of the 'Essentials' line. They will pretend that the Essentials line is 4e, but the rulebooks are being pared down so far that it literally cannot be the same game.

angelfromanotherpin:
4th Edition did not capture even half of the third edition base. At any convention, 3.x edition games outnumber 4th edition games. It has failed super hard.

Be wary of drawing conclusions from conventions. They don't reflect the overall demographics of the hobby too well. This is self-evident just from the average age of the attendees.

-- Alex

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or