Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I love the random, weird-ass stuff that makes Alice in Wonderland what it is, but I didn't like how this movie tried to incorporate the whole war thing.

I still need to read Through the Looking Glass to find out just how much of that book is in the movie, or vice versa.

A lot of people haven't actually read Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass, and they really should.

They're amazing books, not really for kids in my opinion. But hey.

It always seems to me that a lot of people who haven't read them make the mistake of thinking that Wonderland is a fairy tale when it is actually much much deeper.

Carroll comments on the futility of life, high level mathematical concepts, conflict, insanity, sanity, loyalty, trust, betrayal, kindness/hostility of strangers and many more

People see the Disney version and think "This is a nice kids story." Then get upset when they see scenes like those in the movie, which are slightly closer to the books' darkness or when it starts to make you question and think about things (again is anyone in that story evil? since all the events are laid out in advance, no-one seems to have a choice in what they're doing).

Also have to say, looks to be more like a longsword to me than a broadsword...

Not sure why the Hatter seemed to be Scottish at times, but it worked well with the hare (who was hilarious)

Bucketface:
Just so people stop complaining that the movie is unfaithfull to the book.This movie is actually based on the book "Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There" and not "Alice's Adventures in Wonderland". Through the Looking-Glass is the sequel to the original by the same author. It adresses different themes one of the major ones being opposites. Here's a link that tells u all about it if it interestst you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Through_the_Looking-Glass

damn.. looks like someone beat me to the punch..still some relevant info here tho

Glad to see someone with good literature knowledge. Btw, good first post and "Welcome to The Escapist". You'll see that the people here are very polite and good-looking. This site is one monumental step towards realising a certain utopia(don't know which yet, but we'll find out after we conquer Australia; you know we need to save our fellow man from M+ ratings and shit?).

Got a little side tracked there.

Any way, it's good to have you with us, mate.

OT: I was looking forward to a more first-book-like Alice in Wonderland :(
All the randomness and the absurdity of the first book really made it feel original, and really child friendly. Now that I see that it doesn't go as pure fanfic, I'm willing to give it a try.

Still, I can't understand what's with all this Tim Burton, hate?
In my opinion he really didn't make bad movies. I really don't see what's bad about his weird, objective-free films. In my opinion, something doesn't need to have a certain plot just to be good, it can solely depend on the immersion and feelings it provides.

LoganAsh:

That said, I really enjoyed this review. My major problem with the "sequal" is one that I think was taken up towards the end of the video. When I watched Alice in Wonderland as a child, the scariest thing I found wasn't so much the individual weirdness of each character (not that that didn't freak me out) but rather it was the fact that the whole world Alice enters seemed to be lacking in any objective values, any universal sense of what was normal in the first place. There was no concept of right, wrong, good, evil, stange, normal. It was deeply un-nerving to feel that there could be a place where any sense of the word meaning was removed. Things simply happened in Wonderland without a need of cause or purpose.

Considering each and everyone of us has different morals, and opinions on what's wrong and right, I feel that this world has all the weirdness and non-objectiveness of any fantasy world out there. There is always a grey zone when it comes to morals, and with time I feel this is simply starting to expand, due to the new dilemmas we face, because of our evolving world.

MB202:
I love the random, weird-ass stuff that makes Alice in Wonderland what it is, but I didn't like how this movie tried to incorporate the whole war thing.

I still need to read Through the Looking Glass to find out just how much of that book is in the movie, or vice versa.

I agree 100% with you dude. + I keep bumping with cultural references to "Through the Looking Glass"

ad5x5:

Off topic: What's the difference between a longsword and a broadsword?

yoyo13rom:

ad5x5:

Off topic: What's the difference between a longsword and a broadsword?

A longsword can be used either single or double handed so has a longer hilt.
A broadsword is single handed use only

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longsword

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadsword

Well, Im glad I'm not the only one who thought this movie was bollocks.

Why Tim, wwwwwwhhhhyyyyyyYY!?

I smelt something fishy with Corpse bride, which was kind of more for kids than for "kids find it fun, adults find it creepy" category. Charlie and choco factory didn't help. Where is Big fish, Nightmare (yes, I know but Burton dipped his hands into it), Sweeny T, Batman Returns, Bettlejuice...the king of random creepy stuff, the black and white Terry Gilliam...

It's not like he can't do "random", he is the prince of "random", takes you to a ride to another world where dreams and nightmares make you giggle with madness and ask for more...what the hell is this talk about good vs. bad - there's no actual good or bad in Alice in Wonderland (or the sequel) there's only mad and madder, dark and darker.
I'm sick and tired of dumbing down and copying everything...so very tired.

At least I hope Elfamn evolved a bit, he is getting a bit repeaty.

I agree with MovieBob for some of the review, but Alice in Wonderland was not that bad. The overall movie was good, not great but good.

Long swords are single handed grips, while broadswords are two handed grips

anian:
Why Tim, wwwwwwhhhhyyyyyyYY!?

I smelt something fishy with Corpse bride, which was kind of more for kids than for "kids find it fun, adults find it creepy" category. Charlie and choco factory didn't help. Where is Big fish, Nightmare (yes, I know but Burton dipped his hands into it), Sweeny T, Batman Returns, Bettlejuice...the king of random creepy stuff, the black and white Terry Gilliam...

It's not like he can't do "random", he is the prince of "random", takes you to a ride to another world where dreams and nightmares make you giggle with madness and ask for more...what the hell is this talk about good vs. bad - there's no actual good or bad in Alice in Wonderland (or the sequel) there's only mad and madder, dark and darker.
I'm sick and tired of dumbing down and copying everything...so very tired.

At least I hope Elfamn evolved a bit, he is getting a bit repeaty.

Sweeney Todd was ass, what are you talking about? Depp can't sing for shit.

ad5x5:
A lot of people haven't actually read Alice in Wonderland or Through the Looking Glass, and they really should.

They're amazing books, not really for kids in my opinion. But hey.

It always seems to me that a lot of people who haven't read them make the mistake of thinking that Wonderland is a fairy tale when it is actually much much deeper.

Carroll comments on the futility of life, high level mathematical concepts, conflict, insanity, sanity, loyalty, trust, betrayal, kindness/hostility of strangers and many more

People see the Disney version and think "This is a nice kids story." Then get upset when they see scenes like those in the movie, which are slightly closer to the books' darkness or when it starts to make you question and think about things (again is anyone in that story evil? since all the events are laid out in advance, no-one seems to have a choice in what they're doing).

Not sure why the Hatter seemed to be Scottish at times, but it worked well with the hare (who was hilarious)

Long swords are single handed grips, while broadswords are two handed grips

Aura Guardian:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

i wholeheartedly approve of this comment.

katsabas:
Sidenote: who was the LOOK AT ME bit directed to, at the beginning of the video? He really sounded like the Joker at some point. HAHAHA!

LOOK AT ME! LOOK AT ME *AND* CHOKE ME!

I watched it, it wasn't bad. The battle -was- kinda WTF, but otherwise it was alright. I really don't know why Bob's freaking about the Hatter and the Red Queen. Yes, there was a small bit where the Hatter was doing stuff, but it was tolerable. As for the focus on the Red Queen...well, she's the villain, so duh, of course there's going to be some focus on her.

I liked it

*looks around fearfully*

heh jk guys it sucked ass heh...

it could have been good, but I found they stretched some characters to far. The hatter as a character was good as a background character, but not as a support character, maybe if they made an original character for mr Depp, it would have worked. both the cheshire cat and mad hatter just felt out of place as on going, characters. there was also these weird part were Depp would talk sadistically sicko under his breath, made me feel like he was going to snap and kill Alice. Villeins were cool, but I didn't like the white queen, seemed unnecessary and always had her arms up

all in all, ok. Something to watch, but very forgettable.
I felt Depp was the worst part of the movie, he just felt out of place.
oh new thought, maybe if they just focused on him, like a wonder land with out alice, or if she was in the background.
He should have been the main character, having a sidekick who constantly try's to upstage the main character just feels weird.

I got a bit of a War of the Roses vibe for a bit. Also, I do believe the Hatter had a claymore. I felt they could have added more depth and less allusion, however.

Aura Guardian:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

Tim Burton tends to attract a lot of stupid people (mostly poser goth idiots) because of Nightmare Before Christmas. And Alice in Wonderland would have been better if he had stuck to the original AIW.

If you go to watch his movie, just watch them without thinking about the stupid people he attracts and try to look at it through a clear mind. If you don't like his stuff, you don't. It's very hit and miss stuff for audiences, but try to look at it without cynicism. :)

TheRealCJ:

Aura Guardian:

Ah, but you have to remember: The Nightmare Before Christmas belongs to Tim Burton in name only.

He had the vauge, basic original idea, but beyond that, he didn't write it or direct it. Despite the creepy fanboyism that exists for the movie, it's actually one of the better non-Disney* children's films out there.

*Yes, I know it's Disney NOW, but it was originally released by Touchstone, because Disney proper thought that it wasn't keeping in line with it's other children's films at the time, take what you will from that.

Yup, like how the original Tron was Touchstone too but the sequal's got the Disney logo glued to it.

Edit: What am I thinking? Tron was Buena Vista, heh. Still Disney though, humm.

it seems Burton didn't even really get Through the Looking Glass either as he seemingly forgot that the Jabberwocky and Bandersnatch aren't actual characters in the barely-there plot of the book but just things mentioned in a poem.

littlerudi08107:

Just shows you how much I can let through for atmosphere. I kind of let it as "sings like a normal person, not like a singer"

Haha, that was quite entertaining. There's nothing better than a good rant. But I think You did Alie in Wonderland quite wrong there (the book). It's written by a british philosopher who was maining logics, so on a metalevel it has a story. The story is about a journey into a philosophical problem (down the rabbithole) and the consecutive steps additionally comment on logical problems. A lot. But I guess, that probably doesn't relate to your review, because Burton would want to make due with the more visible parts of the story.

GothmogII:

TheRealCJ:

Aura Guardian:

Ah, but you have to remember: The Nightmare Before Christmas belongs to Tim Burton in name only.

He had the vauge, basic original idea, but beyond that, he didn't write it or direct it. Despite the creepy fanboyism that exists for the movie, it's actually one of the better non-Disney* children's films out there.

*Yes, I know it's Disney NOW, but it was originally released by Touchstone, because Disney proper thought that it wasn't keeping in line with it's other children's films at the time, take what you will from that.

Yup, like how the original Tron was Touchstone too but the sequal's got the Disney logo glued to it.

Edit: What am I thinking? Tron was Buena Vista, heh. Still Disney though, humm.

Yeah, Disney has a WHOLE bunch of sattelite companies designed to take all the films that might sully the fine (*cough*) name of Disney.

anian:

littlerudi08107:

Just shows you how much I can let through for atmosphere. I kind of let it as "sings like a normal person, not like a singer"

Sings like a normal person? You do know that Sweeney Todd is a musical right? In a musical you need to... ya know be able to sing well. The only reason Depp got the role in the first place was because Burton was directing it. Watch The 1970's recorded stage version of Sweeney Todd and I dare you to tell me with a straight face that the Burton version is better.

MovieBob finally hit the nail on the head! I've watch numerous of his reviews and though that he was absolutely garbage but this one finally exposed the movie for its true self. Every bit of what he said is completely true the story was not about Alice at all and the story was a horrible one! Why is it that every movie these days has to have a huge battle at the end of it? Look at the way The Hurt Locker ended, absolutely incredible film, and it's about war the perfect thing to put at the end of this movie would be a huge war scene, but no they went the smart way and it paid off!

I still want to see it, Bob be damned. All my friends say its awesome. Not that I am criticizing anyones opinion. I'm just a huge fan of Tim Burton. I could watch anything he's involved in.

Hmm Loads of criticism everywhere :P
Ill guess I have to see it :P

But i do like the soundtrack already. It contains a few tracks from my favorite bands/singers

I must say, I watched this the other day and it was a good film, its worth a watch.

I got to see it in 3D, and while the Red Queen's head and various other things did look wonderful in full 3D, they made the absolute horrid mistake of pushing things in front of your face with the time-old "Hey look! It's 3D" bull****.

Seriously, directors.. we know it's 3D. I don't like things shoved in my face in the real world, I don't like things shoved in my face in movies.

The film itself was boring. Certainly not as "weird" or curious-er as I hoped for. It was a generic action film here with Alice themes. American McGee's Alice did better.

I have much of the same view. The CGI was ridiculously good, as well as the voice acting. But the story, which shouldn't exist in an Alice in Wonderland film anyway, made no sense. The fuck was the "Vorpal Sword" about anyway?

Still. It's worth a watch. I mean, this is REALLY good CGI we're talking about folks.

MovieBob tickles me a great deal.

I've heard good things about this but thanks to Bob for telling me what it's all about.
I now know what to expect when heading in.

Also, he was wrong about District 9. EVERYONE is wrong about District 9, there is so much that film could of been...

I didn't think it was absolutely terrible. The film is at least watchable unlike say Transformers 2. But the plot doesn't make a lick of sense, even though everyone gives a great performance (particularly Depp and Carter because they get so much screen time). I'd still tell people to check it out, but not pay full price to see this thing

The man that proclaims Avatar as a thriumph of film making complains that a different movie is all about the visuals? A bit problematic, would you not agree?

At least Burton acknowledge his literary sources and is derivative on purpose.

Radelaide:

Aura Guardian:

Tim Burton tends to attract a lot of stupid people (mostly poser goth idiots) because of Nightmare Before Christmas. And Alice in Wonderland would have been better if he had stuck to the original AIW.

If you go to watch his movie, just watch them without thinking about the stupid people he attracts and try to look at it through a clear mind. If you don't like his stuff, you don't. It's very hit and miss stuff for audiences, but try to look at it without cynicism. :)

If I do..I will try not to think about them. But it will be hard

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or