Escape to the Movies: Alice in Wonderland

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

I'll still go see this. I watch reviews to compare with my own opinions, rather than to be swayed by another person's words.

I sense Moviebob has a similar disposition towards Tim Burton as Yahtzee has towards the Total War series...
Still, the idea of turning something as whimsical and bizarre as Alice in Wonderland into a fantasy action film does seem a little stupid. I'll watch it and judge for myself.

Dark Templar:

Quiet Stranger:

Daystar Clarion:

Quiet Stranger:

Aura Guardian:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

I think you mean "Judging by your review, you are crap. Thank you bob"

But in all seriousness, if I WAS to listen to a critic I'll listen to Ebert, a PROFESSIONAL who has spent his whole career (or at least a damn many years) reviewing movies, also don't listen to critics, go see the movie (theater or pirated) and judge for yourself, don't let other people decide for you, that's just fucking stupid

I laughed hard. You do know what a reviewer is right? Someone who gives an unbiased opinion on something after taking into consideration every aspect of something. A professional opinion giver is an oxymoron.

Well at least Ebert has some credentials (as in he's spent years doing it) but it seems bob hates a lot of movies and besides Tim Burton's Alice is the best live adaptation yet

I DISAGREE WITH MOVIEBOB!!! FLAME FLAME FLAME!!!

Seriously, Moviebob's reviews are alwase thoughtful, intelligent, and completely to the point. He provides valid reasons why most people might not like this movie ad he does so in an intelligent manner like a professional. If you don't like him you don't have to watch or post here at all.

Oh and if you honestly thought Tim Burton's horrible movie was the best adaptation yet then you haven't seen American McGee's Alice. Or heck, even the disney movie was better than this.

So you like Moviebob because he doesn't do his job by stating his opinion rather then saying 'If you like action movies you'll hate this movie" "If you like comedy movies you might like this movie' That's a critics job. A critics job is not to say 'You disagree with me, therefore you are a douchebag. He's worse then any critic who tells you he liked a movie. Personally tell me WHY YOU LIKED THE MOVIE rather than calling me a douchebag for liking it.

Aura Guardian:
Loved the special message. I've hated a lot of Tim Burton's movies expect for one. Sweeny Todd. And I've have yet to watch a Nightmare before Christmas and refuse too. Judging by your review, this is crap. Thank you moviebob

Ah, but you have to remember: The Nightmare Before Christmas belongs to Tim Burton in name only.

He had the vauge, basic original idea, but beyond that, he didn't write it or direct it. Despite the creepy fanboyism that exists for the movie, it's actually one of the better non-Disney* children's films out there.

*Yes, I know it's Disney NOW, but it was originally released by Touchstone, because Disney proper thought that it wasn't keeping in line with it's other children's films at the time, take what you will from that.

That's a shame... I'm seeing it today...

Quiet Stranger:
oh and The Mad Hatter has a sword because well....HE'S THE MAD HATTER! He's unpredictable!

He's also a MAD FREAKING HATTER. That is to say, someone suffering from the crippling effects of Mercury Poisoning.

He'd barely be able to lift a broadsword, let alone wield it efficiently.

I know, I know, just a movie. But seriously, the Mad Hatter was really just a footnote in the original story, a one-shot gag for someone to stumble upon. Suddenly he's a general in an "EPIC ARMY"?

Seriously, this movie is like a cross between American McGee's Alice and Narnia. But unlike this movie, American McGee's Alice worked well as a gothic wasteland because Alice herself was suffering from an extremely fragile psyche, and was near enough to complete insanity that her imagination was shot to hell. And the EPIC BATTLES in Narnia worked because... well, Narnia had EPIC BATTLES.

hey i liked it because it wasn't just a remake and that I saw it in Imax 3D made my eyes wan't to pop orgasm, and for the the fact that it was violent as fuck.

ritchards:
How does it compare to this Alice version http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1461312/ in which an Alice returns to Wonderland, supposedly the "best Alice in Wonderland film evah!"

Who said that? I haven't met a single person who liked that film. Maybe I don't know as many melodramatic pre-teen girls as you do.

That movie, while maintaining the "weirdness for weirdness's sake" aspect of Carol's book, was boring and embarrassingly technopunk. The political intrigue aspect was pulled directly out of their rectum, and the effects looked like something out of Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus. Also, the messianic worship of Alice made me think they'd seen The Matrix, thought it was cool the movie made a few references to Alice, and decided they would make an entire movie ripping off the enslavement story of The Matrix where the society utilized "emotional essence" instead of bioelectrical energy.

It was poop. Post-drinking binge poop.

that really sucked i really loved the book and lewis carroll is a fantastic person. but the moment i saw in the trailer how the mad hatter is all like the center of the attention and has a freaking broadsword the movie would just not be alice in wonderland...even tho when saw the part of the pig on aching feet i thought that was in lewis carroll style so i had a little hope... but it seems its not redeemable

It's a shame, but I was expecting as much. I like Tim Burton's stuff but Johnny Depp and Carter don't fit EVERY role. Only darker roles I suppose. Sweeney Todd is a must see!

I thought the whole movie was one gigantic missed opportunity. I think it had potential to really be a great movie, unfortunately they squandered it on a haphazard storyline that seemed to meander around like a drunk before collapsing face first into a dung heap. I thought all the characters were great really, Johnny Depp's portrayal of the Mad Hatter was pretty good, the girl who played Alice did a decent job, and all the voice actors sounded like they were having fun with it. If there had just been some sort of cohesive and interesting narrative it MIGHT have been a damn good movie. As it is, it provides really no motivations for any of the characters or really even give the audience even a hint as to what the hell is going on.

All we're really given to go on is that the Red Queen has taken over underland for...some reason. And she has a big dragon thing that helps her rule the empire...I guess? And the vorpul sword is required to kill the dragon because...well that's not really addressed either. It's like the film makers shrugged and said "Trust us, this makes sense."

The whole thing was just a big muddled mess that never seemed to know what to do with itself and it robs the otherwise vibrant characters of their personalities. Alice turns from a confused girl afraid of marrying someone she doesn't love, into a fully armored Joan-of-Arc-esque Warrior Queen in the space of a two minute conversation with a caterpillar. The Mad Hatter turns from a wacky almost manic-depressive personality into a respectable steward/broadsword wielding soldier. And what really bothered me about the sword, wasn't the fact that it was a broadsword or that it was the Mad Hatter wielding it, but that it looked so generic, like they pulled out of the spare props closet two minutes before shooting. All the other weapons and, indeed, the whole artistic layout of the movie was so vibrant and unique that this dull looking grey/rusted looking broadsword just looked so out of place. You'd think the Mad Hatter, of all the characters, would have the most unique weapon of the bunch. Would it have been so hard to add in a scene where the Mad Hatter insists he wants to fight but the only weapon available is this crappy broadsword, which the Mad Hatter then spruces up with ribbons and other garish adornments (like those he wears on his hat)? Or even just a scene where he creates his own unique arsenal made of hat making materials? Would have taken 2-3 minutes and would really have helped eased the massive eyesore that was that broadsword.

If the story had only been straightened out and tightened up these transitions could have been smoother and more natural. As it is they just seem artificial and forced because those are the transitions necessary to complete the film but inadequate time was given to develop them naturally.

AlternatePFG:
Ugh, I was looking forward to this to. Seriously, why couldn't make a faithful adaptation to story and call it day?

nah films like that are crap... ever watched the latest "psycho film" with viggo mortenson?

or even peter jacksons "king kong"... shot for shot remakes are unoriginal, boring and umimaginative...

O_O

A lot of the comments made in this thread that are about the movie seem like they've never seen the movie.

It also seems that a lot of the people who commented here simply don't like movies. You're commenting about... a cohesive plot? In Alice in Wonderland? Complaining about violence? And these are the same types of people that praise American McGee's Alice for it's dark and twisted adaptation of the story?

I don't really understand video game playing movie goers. Every single one of them complains about plot, or bad acting... and then they praise games with incredibly bad acting and story as having an amazing story and incredible voice work. You're all insane.

All of you. You're mad.

That's a shame, I was really hoping it would be good. Then again, I should have known better from what happened with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

You know, you guys could go see it anyway and just, I dunno, IGNORE MOVIE BOB. He can be entertaining, but surely you guys can admit he isn't always right. 1. Because he offers opinions which are neither right nor wrong by definition and 2. C'mon, have you seen the daybreakers review? That movie was crap, and I'm not generally regarded as some artistic philistine who can't tell the difference between good cinema and crap by those who know me. It's not even a case of ignoring movie bob so much as it is MAKING UP YOUR OWN MIND.

I'm going to go see it next week, because I generally enjoy Tim Burton's films and because at the very least it looks visually interesting.

Xocrates:

stok3r:
I was actually looking forward to see this movie, not because of Tim Burton (really, really don't like his stuff (except Coraline

Tim Burton was not involved in any way with Coraline. The movie was by Henry Sellick, who directed Nightmare Before Christmas (of which Burton created the concept and was a producer of).

Thanks for clarifying. Okay that's good then. Now I don't like and of Burton's stuff. I can now buy Caroline with a clear conscience.

Also, I only saw his name on the poster, so yeahh...

It is completely unlikely that you will read this but i may as well say it. The writer made a sequel to "Alice In Wonder Land" and its called "Through the Looking Glass". Most previous "Alice in Wonderland" movies combined the two books into one movie lengthened feature. So Tim Burton didn't make an "adaptation" it was in fact, a sequel (or an adaptation of the sequel)
I'd like also to take the time to mention that "Alice in Wonderland" is about a dream of wonders hence "Alice in Wonderland". While "Through the Looking Glass" is about an inexplicable nightmare hence "Through the Looking Glass" means that the story is taking a more deeper, more vivid and maybe more vile turn.
Different parallels are also drawn with the first book being orientated around a deck of cards and the second orientated around chess. Red queen, White queen making any more sense now.

Also: while reading through the comments I've noticed people mention that the movie has no cohesiveness and that it seems haphazardly put together. I'd like to mention this could be because "Through the Looking Glass" is about inescapable nightmare with no end, no sense, no meaning and no orientation. Seemingly a inescapable nightmare ey.

I could go on but i guess researching it your self's and maybe even reading the two books, would give you a more vivid and more accurate idea of the story than movie bobs ignorant review or my condescending comment.

im bloody offended. it was good! VERY good, even: but maybe it's because i'm a kid.

Can somebody explain why Tim burton is so popular? His movies really are not that great. And please, do not use the stupid "You just don't get it, its all about the underlying themes," schtick because I already got that when I told student at my school that I didn't like Edward Scissorhands.

I was actually sincerly hoping that this alice was going to be coser to an adaptaion of the looking glass wars book. which is very dark and would have fit better with the overall attempt.

Tootmania:

First The Nightmare Before Christmas had to be given a bad rep for being the cause of all this, and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to come take a massive nutty-filled chocolate poo on one of my favorite classic movies, and now this. Nice...

Aura Guardian:

Daystar Clarion:
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.

Okay I'm starting to sound like broken record here, I really am. But once more and with the ringing force of the collected voices of all the angels in heaven, sinners on earth and demons in hell...

TIM BURTON DID NOT DIRECT THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

Henry Sellick must be the most depressed filmmaker of all time. (of all time)

I beleive mr. Burton's is the kind of art that flourishes in adversity and he has now settled down with his wife and kids and has no inspiration anymore, only a long list of his past successes that are wrapped around any vomit he produces to conceal its mediocrity and crassness.

Doitpow:

Tootmania:

First The Nightmare Before Christmas had to be given a bad rep for being the cause of all this, and the Charlie and the Chocolate Factory had to come take a massive nutty-filled chocolate poo on one of my favorite classic movies, and now this. Nice...

Aura Guardian:

Daystar Clarion:
Another Tim Burton crap-fest that all the emo douche bag wannabes will jump all over. Seriously, Nightmare Before Christmas was brilliant, then all the Twilight-esque fangirls jumped all over it and now I get a bad taste in my mouth If I so much as consider watching it.

Okay I'm starting to sound like broken record here, I really am. But once more and with the ringing force of the collected voices of all the angels in heaven, sinners on earth and demons in hell...

TIM BURTON DID NOT DIRECT THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS

Henry Sellick must be the most depressed filmmaker of all time. (of all time)

I beleive mr. Burton's is the kind of art that flourishes in adversity and he has now settled down with his wife and kids and has no inspiration anymore, only a long list of his past successes that are wrapped around any vomit he produces to conceal its mediocrity and crassness.

Then it's even sadder that, what people believe to be one of Burton's best film, wasn't actually directed by Burton. The irony makes me chuckle.

whats a hop topic

murphy7801:
whats a hop topic

some thing you burn down
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdq80VibBrM

Skeleon:
Huh, as I actually like his take on Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory, I might like this movie too, I guess.

I am having similar feelings. Maybe I'm not going for the movies themselves anymore. I am increasingly impressed with Johnny Depp and I like seeing who he manages to pull out of the hat for each movie he is in.

That aside -

I somehow imagine the hatter using a spiked chain, or caltrops, or ... well... something really unique. Maybe an atlatl.

I just saw the movie last night, and I thought it was good. There was nothing really wrong with it. If you saw the first one it was pretty much the same thing, just a bit revised. Visually the movie looked really clear. (saw it in 3D) There wasn't a noticable difference between the computer animation and the actors. The acting was not extremely great or anything, but the whole movie was entertaining at least. I liked it.

I might be confused on this part, but didn't Carrol write a sequel to Alice in wonderland called through the looking glass? So wouldn't what bob said in his review about making up a sequel be wrong? I know I read that somewhere when I heard about the movie last year.

Personally I liked it, I didn't think it was one of Burton's best films but I felt it was decent enough. At worst I would call it mediocre due to constantly being pulled out of the immersion by a scene where you can tell the actors were standing in front of a green screen. If I had to pick a point where it failed completely it was keeping the viewer fully immersed throughout. Just when you'd start to really get into it they would do something that would jar you back into reality (like Depp changing his tone of voice, poor green screening, or the deliverance of Alice's lines by her actress.)

-EDIT-
I did a little research into that second book (yeah I've never read either...sue me) and well Burton's film is definitely a very loose adaption and merger of both books to suit his needs. While the second book is indeed treated as a sequel to the first it didn't take place in Wonderland.

could the movie be borrowing inspiration from The Looking Glass Wars or the zenescope comic? it appears more like that than the traditional idea.

Has anybody noticed the similarity in plot to that of American McGee's Alice?

[quote="KeyMaster45" post="6.179019.5230059"]I might be confused on this part, but didn't Carrol write a sequel to Alice in wonderland called through the looking glass? So wouldn't what bob said in his review about making up a sequel be wrong? I know I read that somewhere when I heard about the movie last year.

I wouldn't call Through the Looking Glass a sequel, and I think they were published at roughly the same time. The animated Alice in Wonderland is actually a mash-up of the two books.

jthm:
You know, you guys could go see it anyway and just, I dunno, IGNORE MOVIE BOB. He can be entertaining, but surely you guys can admit he isn't always right. 1. Because he offers opinions which are neither right nor wrong by definition and 2. C'mon, have you seen the daybreakers review? That movie was crap, and I'm not generally regarded as some artistic philistine who can't tell the difference between good cinema and crap by those who know me. It's not even a case of ignoring movie bob so much as it is MAKING UP YOUR OWN MIND.

I'm going to go see it next week, because I generally enjoy Tim Burton's films and because at the very least it looks visually interesting.

Egads, everyone has different tastes! I like to follow reviewers whose tastes are similar to my own because I'll get a good heads up on whether I'll like something or not. That's not always the case, since, as I just said, everyone's tastes are different, but for the most part I tend to agree with what Movie Bob has to say.

The real problem is that idiots love to see reviewers as some form of Jesus figure, spouting verse from on high. Movie Bob is just a guy giving his opinion, you don't have to take what he says as the gospel truth. Hell, I learned that lesson a long time ago just from being a gamer. I faithfully read PC Gamer because I tend to agree with them, but even I've had times where I thought they were horribly wrong (Far Cry 2 was a terrible game and should have been decimated by critics as such. I have no idea how anyone could have liked that piece of shit). Even to this day, I still take their reviews with a grain of salt, but I still like to use them as a rough barometer. Likewise, I though Avatar was pretty mediocre (and the more I think about that movie, the more I hate everything it stands for), but Movie Bob loved it. Do I still watch his reviews? Yep! Do I trust everything he says 100%? Nope. But our tastes are similar enough that Escape to the Movies is a show I look forward to watching.

And to anyone ripping on MB's review of this movie for some odd reason, y'all can eat a dick. A lot of other reviews are saying the same damn thing.
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/10009599-alice_in_wonderland/

Even a lot of the positive reviews are commenting on how shallow this movie is, and I don't know about you guys, but when I watch a movie, I want to watch a movie. Not to pay to be on a shitty amusement park ride.

Wish I would have seen this review before I payed 14 dollars for an Imax ticket. Would have saved me the trouble. Seriously, why the hell is Johnny Depp in this movie so much? And why in all that is holy does he use a broadsword?!?!

Two things:

#1: I thought Anne Hathaway [SP] was one of the worst performances in the entire thing with the way she was waving her arms around and such. It was overdone, and pretty bad.

Actually I agree with Moviebob on a lot of this though. My thoughts though are more along the lines of Tim Burton being in a hurry to play with the new 3D technology (like a lot of other creatores and directors) and he spent more time getting the scenery right and having the actors work around that, than he did on the actual story, screenplay/dialogue, or anything else.

That said it's an okay movie, but it's almost exactly like Avatar. An utterly banal storyline full of horrendous problems with absolutly awesome FX and visuals. I suppose Alice does get points though for not trying to bludgeon you with a political agenda.

#2: The whole "Alice Returns To Wonderland" thing is pretty old. The cult game "Alice" by American Mcgee is the most famous version of course. I don't consider it a real "cult classic" though because it's so well known and heavily played.

You've seen the idea re-visited a number of times, including a series of young adult novels called "The Looking Glass War" which is very close to this movie, not to mention the Syfy series "Alice".

Pretty much every coverage of the subject tends to get a lot of the characters wrong. I suspect it's because most people assume that your typical member of the audience is going to be familiar with the Disney version (or maybe the Cocteau one) and never had read the actual story. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the movie makers in many cases themselves had never read it.

That said I would have found it a lot more fresh if it wasn't doing the same basic thing all of the other versions had done, and instead had say Alice teaming up with The Queen Of Hearts. :P

Well, saw the movie today. I enjoyed it, though the Disney and American McGee takes are indeed better. 3 stars from me, 7/10. However, I do feel the need to make a very points.

The Mad Hatter: Firstly, I think Depp played him very well. Not my favourite characters (those were The White Queen, March Hare and Cheshire Cat), but he was a decent portrayal by Depp. As for the whole broadsword thing; yes, he's crippled by Mercury poisoning, but this is Wonderland, who's to say he's not just crippled mentally? Besides, I always saw the 'Raven/Writing Desk' riddle as being a partial reason for his madness.

Alice: I didn't think they gave her enough to work with. I agree with those who said she's merely a perspective, but I'd like to see the girl who played her do more. Maybe a bigger, less period role (so the accent/voice doesn't mean it's hella difficult to emote with :P).

Epic Battle: To me, it wasn't an epic battle in the sense of Narnia. The battlefield itself was quite small, so were the forces. As pointed out by the rabbit, the fight was really between champions (Alice/Jabberwock). The rest of the forces were just there to show off power, and in case all hell broke loose (as it did). The fight stopped once Alice won, anyway.

Anyway, that's just my view, and chances are only 20-30 people will read them :P

Vredesbyrd67:
Well either the movie industry is getting more predictable or I'm just getting better at predicting the movie industry and consumers in general.

First of all: Marla Singer as the Red Queen/Queen of Hearts. Anyone else find that funny?

When I first saw the trailer, I got really, really excited. I've never read Alice in Wonderland, and I've never seen any film adaptations for it, but I know the short version. Usually, this is exactly the kind of story that Tim Burton would be best suited for, right?

That was why I was optimistic until I saw the second half of the trailer.

"Cool! Alice is BACK in Wonderland! And everything's presented all creepy and Tim Burton-y! Wait...why does the Hatter have a sword? And why are there two epic armies marching in unison toward each other in a scene that promises to be an epic battle akin to the fight scene at the end of the first Narnia movie? Oh, Jesus. No, they didn't. They couldn't have. Not with...Alice in Wonderland of all things. Wait, I'm getting ahead of myself. Let's just watch the trailer to the end and see how horribly wrong I was."

Apparently, I wasn't wrong. This is just Alice in Narnia. It's a cynical combination of the two things that Disney knows will sell: contemporary adaptations of beloved classics, over the top special affects, and epic fight scenes. "To hell with congruity," says the Disney marketing directors. "If you produce it, they will come!"

Maybe Helena Bonham Carter being in this movie is a sign. Yeah, that must be it.

Anyone up for going Tyler Durden on Disney HQ?

also just to make sure,

in all the trailers i saw they made it reallllllllly clear that johnney depp was in it as the mad hatter

every other scene of the trailer had depp on screen, to the point where i thought the film was just going to be johnney depp rubbing his balls on the camera lense

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here