The Pocket Gamer Report: Why the DSi XL Could Be a Bridge Too Far

Pages 1 2 NEXT

The Pocket Gamer Report: Why the DSi XL Could Be a Bridge Too Far

Is Nintendo taking a second bite of an apple that is rotten or worse - doesn't exist?

Read Full Article

I'd get one only because someone stole my DSi so I have an excuse.

This is about increasing the DS platform's accessibility, nothing more. I think this article is trying to raise a little controversy where there isn't any. I'm 33 years old and the DSi XL seems like the right fit for me... and I've only got 5... er, 6... wait, well only a handful of gray hairs. ;-)

Also, not everything revolves around the hardcore gaming audience.

The DSi XL is a bit pointless because the DS2 is right around the corner. This fall it will have been six years since the launch of the original DS so I would expect something completely new very soon.

Echolocating:
This is about increasing the DS platform's accessibility, nothing more. I think this article is trying to raise a little controversy where there isn't any. I'm 33 years old and the DSi XL seems like the right fit for me... and I've only got 5... er, 6... wait, well only a handful of gray hairs. ;-)

Also, not everything revolves around the hardcore gaming audience.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, age notwithstanding. Pocket Gamer is missing the issue with the DSi XL and tries to raise a stink over what they perceive the gaming audience wants. Then again, I didn't expect much from the Apple fanboys.

I would have been interested in it, had it not been leaked that the NDS2 (or whatever) is already underway. As such, there isn't anything I've seen for the DSi that strikes my fancy that I absolutely cannot wait for the next iteration.

Assuming, of course, it maintains backwards compatibility to the previous versions.

I just want a DS that has working shoulder buttons. Mine crapped out on me forever ago...

I'm actually looking forward to the DSi XL. I used to own the DS Lite but I really didn't like the tiny screen size. I sold it late last year and I've been patiently awaiting for the XL iteration. The DSi system just has a really great mix of games -- from casual to hard-core -- that I wanted to enjoy on a bigger screen, so I think the XL is a wise hardware update.

galaxygamer:
I'm actually looking forward to the DSi XL. I used to own the DS Lite but I really didn't like the tiny screen size. I sold it late last year and I've been patiently awaiting for the XL iteration. The DSi system just has a really great mix of games -- from casual to hard-core -- that I wanted to enjoy on a bigger screen, so I think the XL is a wise hardware update.

Better get ready to dump that XL about half a year later when the DS2 hits, if it is backwards compatible with DS1 games.

I hated the original DS but the Lite was absolutely perfect. I haven't bothered with a DSi because there aren't any exclusives worth mentioning.

But when the rumored tegra ds2 comes out I'm all over that

"However, the so-called "casual" sector is notoriously fickle..."

Where does this myth come from? People keep repeating this like some madness mantra since 2006:

"You can't trust those ignorant casuals! They are not real gamers, and this means they might abandon Nintendo right... NOW! ....Or NOW! .... Or.... NOW! Or now! Or now! ...........oooor..... NOW!!!"

Except when Nintendo spectacularly REPEATS its successes over and over again. In this case, they switch to:

"There is nothing great about being successful with those ignorant casuals! They are not real gamers, and this means they would buy anything with Wii in the title... Or anything that has Mario in it..."

I really dont see a reason for an XL version. itds mean to be portable, and meant to be able to hide discretly, so that when you are wondering about on public transport can just pull it in and ut of your pocket...

I was seriously considering gettin a DSIXL, As my old DS, well my little brother broke the hinge...And lost a load of my games...

Pah ..portable?
My missus copies my (ugly original) DS's games for her emulator; running on 22" touchscreen monitor.

I think the DSi xl is a pretty good product and have to question why it wasn't launched at the same time as the DSi. A choice between child and adult sized would have been nice while the console had more than a year lifespan left to it.

Alterego-X:
"However, the so-called "casual" sector is notoriously fickle..."

Where does this myth come from? People keep repeating this like some madness mantra since 2006:

"You can't trust those ignorant casuals! They are not real gamers, and this means they might abandon Nintendo right... NOW! ....Or NOW! .... Or.... NOW! Or now! Or now! ...........oooor..... NOW!!!"

Except when Nintendo spectacularly REPEATS its successes over and over again. In this case, they switch to:

"There is nothing great about being successful with those ignorant casuals! They are not real gamers, and this means they would buy anything with Wii in the title... Or anything that has Mario in it..."

I grew up with gaming all my life. I went through Pong, Atari 2600, ColecoVision, Vic-20, NES, Apple IIe, DOS Gaming, Genesis, PC Engine, Mac Gaming, Windows Gaming, Nintendo 64, PlayStation, Game Cube, Xbox, DS Lite... right up until now with Nintendo's Wii. Oh yeah... I was hardcore, man. But now I'm "casual". The truth is, I just grew up. I don't have an interest in same types of games as when I was a kid, nor do I have the available time... but I still like to play video games.

I must admit, this is the most balanced article (content-wise) from Pocket Gamer that I've read, but the topic was biased to begin with. I know the medium is still young, but the coverage has to mature eventually... hopefully the media covering this stuff realizes this sooner, rather than later.

It sounds like a car for Christ's sake.

"The new Ford Nintendo DSI XL. The most comfortable multi-drive in the world. 5/5 in What car? Magazine!"

commasplice:
I just want a DS that has working shoulder buttons. Mine crapped out on me forever ago...

Hmm, is this common? my shoulder buttons are starting to act up(since bout 3 months ago) and it's gets anoying with games like castlevania on hard mode where you have to dodge and swap glyphs as slick as you can. I bought the DSi just about a year ago so it's kinda anoying that it "broke" so quikly.

oh crap, i was reading the article thinking OMGMUST BUY but then remembered that the dsi is incompatible with Advance style cartridges.

So sad. I don't own a ds; but i play original gameboy tetris on my advance sd

Fusoiya:

commasplice:

Hmm, is this common? my shoulder buttons are starting to act up(since bout 3 months ago) and it's gets anoying with games like castlevania on hard mode where you have to dodge and swap glyphs as slick as you can. I bought the DSi just about a year ago so it's kinda anoying that it "broke" so quikly.

Any moving component at an edge is in danger; that is where the majority of impacts occur.

DSi was crap. DSi XL is more crap.

I'll buy it when I actually see a reason for it. I admit games look nice on it, and it looks a bit more slick than my Phat DS... But it's not worth twice the price.

Im still using the old chunky silver DS's that first came out, but if I ever replace it (I doubt it though)Im glad a larger sized DS has arrived. Although I think the larger screens should have been put on the original DSi, screams money grabbing to me.

I think they're going to make about 17 more versions of the DS before they design a new handheld.

I have large hands, no I'm not fat, just a fairly big person, the original DS is too unwieldy for me. But if the DS2 is around the corner, I might just wait for the DS2XL.

If it's a lot bigger, does that mean it's got enough room to jam the Gameboy Advance slot back in? I wouldn't mind having something just a little chunkier to hold onto while I play, but I'm loathe to give up my DSLite, as I still play my old Advance games on it (and I sold my advance ages ago). As for all this "Nintendo taking a second bite of the apple" howdy-doody, I highly doubt the untapped masses of non-DS owners are all going to see this and say "wow, I must have a DSi XL, because it's bigger than the previous models!" For the most part, anyone who wants a DS, already has one.

I refused to get a DSi because I'm not willing to sacrifice backward compatibility for a camera. Inflating the thing like an enemy in Dig Dug isn't going to change my mind.

My personal nickname for this iteration is the DSinflamed. Seriously, that thing needs a brace and a heating pad.

Personally I'm sticking with my original DS, it plays all of the DS and GBA games I own and plays them well, the screen lighting may be a problem but I'm a teenager so my eyes can take a bit of damage yet.

But I can see the appeal of the XL for the older generation, those who enjoy Brain Training and the ilk casually, the XL gives them a bigger screen which is perfect for their not so good eyesight and it still remains portable and uncomplicated. If my grandparents or older relatives wanted a DS, this is the one I would recommend, but it could be a disappointment for Nintendo in terms of sales due to people getting the DSi as presents for Christmas.

DS- Totally justifies its release

DSLite- ehh, kinda, not worth buying a new console over its advantages, but definitely worth considering.

DSi- Waay too far. Release a new handheld already

DSiXL- This is getting ridiculous.

I need a new DS so I'm going to get this, not thrilled on the colors tho...

They're still sharp edged, they need round corners where the shoulder buttons are. My hands always hurt due to the corners on those things. Size wise, this is a good thing for people with bigger hands.

Fusoiya:

commasplice:

Hey I've had this happen too. All my friends claim theirs works fine, so I've always thought it was just me. Although, the R button works fine, but you REALLY need to force the L button for it to respond at all.

Fusoiya:

thiosk:
Any moving component at an edge is in danger; that is where the majority of impacts occur.

randomguy425:

Hey I've had this happen too. All my friends claim theirs works fine, so I've always thought it was just me. Although, the R button works fine, but you REALLY need to force the L button for it to respond at all.

Yeah, it's happened to both of the shoulder buttons on my DS and the R button on my SP. Something similar happened to my friend's DS Lite, but he got it fixed. I kind of want a new DS, but the Lite never felt right in my hands and, well, there's the whole "no advance carts" thing for the DSi. Do they even still fix the original models?

It's all dependent on where you stand, I'm a pirate, as such I have a TTDS, which means I can watch movies on my ds, a bigger screen would certainly help prevent me quite a lot of eye strain.

"Gaming in Japan doesn't suffer from the same stigma that seems to plague it here. Despite Nintendo's protests, there's still a very real resistance to videogames amongst the western oldies that is only now starting to thaw."

This is a key part of it, and actually supports the release of the XL. Even if, ultimately, it doesn't make Nintendo lots of money now, it shows they are branching out and embracing those resistant gamers. It's moves like this that are softening them, to say 'They are resistant so should be ignored' is the opposite of progress.

My DSL died recently (The hinge broke. Shock.) and if I were to buy a replacement now, I would wait or an XL. I'm a 34 year old gamer with poor eyes and huge hands, and this sounds like heaven over the DSL where even with glasses I had to squint and get headaches.

People who complain this isn't an upgrade miss the point, since it's not meant to be. It is a sidegrade, an alternate form factor, whatever you want to call it. It's not meant to compete with or replace the DSi, just supplement it for accessibility.

Gamers like being elitest snobs, though, and so anything like this that expands the market will always be greeted snidely and with derision, because it's not Hardcore.

Just got to read it, I loved this article man!

I like the idea of the DSi, but I will say that I'm disappointed by its lack of support. It's received a few titles that utilize its new functions in interesting ways, but not the kind of titles I had been hoping for.

I'm still considering getting one, though. Likely the XL variant. It all depends on what information is released regarding the "DS2". I just need something to replace my DS Phat with, since its L shoulder button is barely functioning due to a soda accident, and don't really play GBA games anymore (so no DS Lite needed).

Rigs83:
I'd get one only because someone stole my DSi so I have an excuse.

I would get one of that happened, or my DSI broke. It's a valid excuse.

I don't mind them making the DSI bigger, but I am not cheering either. I give it all a big meh since it got its good sides and I wont get one because I got a DSI.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here