Unskippable: Folklore

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Susan Arendt:

It's an action game...I guess you could say it has some RPGish elements, but its mostly just in this amazing setting that's right out of a storybook. Basically, you collect "folk," which are these wonderfully strange creatures that have unique abilities. One might have a projectile attack, another might have a fire-based attack. You can't do combat yourself, so you need the folk to do it for you. You assign different folk to different face buttons, then hit the button for the attack you want to do. You can capture the souls of new folks to add to your arsenal. You also get different costumes that give you different abilities and buffs. You play as the two characters you saw in the video, each one with their own storyline, though the stories intersect in places.

It's kind of hard to find now, but if you can scoop it up, definitely give it a shot, if only to see how beautiful and otherworldly it is.

Thanks Susan, I'll have to try and find this game now! :D

On topic another great episode from you guys and yes, they so could have done the opening for CSI: Miami after that last bit.

"I claim this in the name of Russel!"
Best quote of the day for me, glad to see Russel is doing nice and well in the village of the dead.

Scrythe:
Keats is by far the most badass thing in Folklore. Hands down.

I want this game solely on the basis that Keats is what I would look like if I had a pointier chin and access to a purple coat. Also, when he does his "Limit Break" type ability, the purple, it's everywhere.

NanashiDorobou:
Huh, Otacon's grandfather, I suppose

Huh, I was thinking of Vincent from Silent Hill 3, but I guess he does look more like Otacon. How uncanny. Maybe they´re relatives.

Anyway, hello, hello. After having watched riffed Operation Double 007 quite recently, this one really killed me. Nice.

Susan Arendt:

Ghostwise:

Susan Arendt:
Three things:

3. Folklore is actually a fantastic game, not that you'd know from this cutscene.

I just watched some actual gameplay and it looks awesome! Is it a JRPG? I couldn't really tell. Regardless it looks cool. Shame I don't own a ps3! :(

It's an action game...I guess you could say it has some RPGish elements, but its mostly just in this amazing setting that's right out of a storybook. Basically, you collect "folk," which are these wonderfully strange creatures that have unique abilities. One might have a projectile attack, another might have a fire-based attack. You can't do combat yourself, so you need the folk to do it for you. You assign different folk to different face buttons, then hit the button for the attack you want to do. You can capture the souls of new folks to add to your arsenal. You also get different costumes that give you different abilities and buffs. You play as the two characters you saw in the video, each one with their own storyline, though the stories intersect in places.

It's kind of hard to find now, but if you can scoop it up, definitely give it a shot, if only to see how beautiful and otherworldly it is.

Sounds kind of like pokémon just with less balls and more...Ireland.

On another note, Crowsplosion has beaten Serpentinization in the "greatest words that probably aren't words but I will claim to be words" list.

This although funny as always kind of made folklore out to be a bad game >.> It's actually really good and easily one of the more original games to come out. The problem is finding in store can be a bit of a pain, luckily I grabbed mine before gamestop mysteriously ran out. I checked amazon and they have it new for 16$ so go buy it!

We all know the pub at night is the best location in the game because charlie kicks ass.

Quick edit: Crowsplosion was the greatest line ever to be said.

I'm quite surprised they didn't mention that the guy in this looks like Otacon, to be honest. Or maybe that's just me.

That house that got hit by the dart. It looked very much like the Bitores Mendez house from Resident Evil 4. This is yet another strange cutscene for the UnSkippable archives.

Oh my god. Me and my sister are always laughing at Horatio in CSI Miami, with the one liners and the glasses and the constant posing. I'm so happy someone else finds it as hilarious as us

Is it only me being a MGS fanboy or is the male protagonist bearing quite a remarkable resemblence to Otacon?

CROWSPLOSION!!

It got pretty good reviews, then dropped straight into obscurity. This might have something to do with being released in the same month as The Orange Box, and by extension the Meme Fountain known as Portal.

They've heard of the interrobang, but it's news to them that all Japanese games are weird? What the crap, guys!?

another awesome and funny episode hhahahahah

I think they could have started the game with...subtly different lines...
"I got a letter. The name on the envelope said "*Her mother's name here*". My *mother*'s name. It's ridiculous, couldn't possibly be true. That's what I keep telling myself. A dead person can't write a letter. *Mom* died ** *time period here*. So then, why am I looking for her? could *mom* really be there? Is she really alive... waiting for me?"
>:(
source:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-HhS4djBL4

Reeaaaalllyyyy baaaadddd voooiiiiccceeee accctttting.

You guys are hilarious. But those voice actors were terrible.

Yeeeeeeeaaaaaaaa the return of Russel!

Also this game actually looks interesting, I may have to check it out. What...? it's on PS3? Fuck!

What's John Lennon doing in this game?

If there was only a video of Gram hitting him self in the balls with a numb chucks.......
o wait i found it

(not the best website but worth it to see gram)
http://www.uniquepeek.com/viewpage.php?page_id=2834

love your guys stuff.
keep the good work and put ice on it!!!!

The Beatles reference killed me. That, and Crosplosion. I demand that word to be in the dictionary.

Nice as always guys. :D

lolol. another great episode.

Oh Japan. When will you learn you can't just say a village in Ireland is some portal to the underworld without something to back it up.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doolin

"I claim this body in the name of Russel!"

Yes! That was hilarious. Crow-splosion is the best made up word I have heard . ever.

Hilarious vid!
I also find myself strangely intrigued by this game. I might check it out if I can find a copy somewhere...

What a fancy weird jacket the magazine writer had.

This one was my favorite, as always.

OMG Folklore!!! 1st game I ever got on my ps3 years? ago. Really good game actually it tried do something different even tho its like pokemon, also funny ep like always!!!!

I thought Unskippable would never return to the realm of weird games I'd never heard about before!

I'm glad Susan spoke up, because I was pretty sure this was one of those games in which an amazing setting and opening cutscene lead to a disppointed horror wannabe in which you amble around finding themed keys and waving flashlingts and nondescript evil entities.

Susan Arendt:
Three things:

1. "I'm tired now" totally made me snarf.

2. CROWSPLOSION!

3. Folklore is actually a fantastic game, not that you'd know from this cutscene.

Yo, Susan. I'm really happy for ya and I'ma let you finish but "Woah, I'm so surprised, I'm just gonna stare at my fingers" was the best part of the video.

Is that joke dead now? Because that's the first time I've ever used it. :<

"Should I tell The Who to go home now?" Ha ha I loved it!

Another great episode keep it up.

Hilarious. "I'm tired now" was pure gold.

Also, Folklore=awesome.

Basically, you do combat with "folk", the inhabitants of the world of the dead. Every time you beat a folk, you gain the use of it's abilities. For example, the folk you start with is one that does a melee attack in front of you.

Also, it's real-time. It's really, really fun.

One of the things that confused me, that I didn't here you say anything about was the time period it is supposed to be set in. She looks like she is wearing reasonably modern clothing but gets letters sealed with wax (and doesn't seem fazed by it) he looks like he could be dressed like that in the 1800's but has a relatively modern phone and a tape recorder and writes for a magazine that looks new and glossy and photo shopped but he does so on a type writer.

I could understand if one of them seemed to be from the past and another from the present since something fishy is clearly going on and time travel/limbo of some sort doesn't seem out of the question, but they don't seem to be consistent with themselves.

oh and even if it was daytime and she was swimming in calm warm tropical water and didn't have to worry about hypothermia or getting disoriented that island was still really far away and she was fully clothed, does she do triathlons or something, I don't think I could swim that far in a wool sweater, let alone with that hat.

Great video, but does anybody know... how is the game?

"I claim this lady in the name of Russell" Bfahaha that made my day!

HumpingStormTrooper:

Susan Arendt:

That statement made me wonder: Wasn't the original idea behind Unskippable to rant off the bad cutscenes from bad games?

no, just the bad cutscene part. their first one was for lost planet and I have heard that was rather good, and they just did Bayonetta which is also good.

however sometimes bad cutscenes can be a symptom of a bad game, or on some rare occasions a game can have cutscenes so bad that it contaminates the rest of the game

CROWSPLOSION!! goooooood stuff. cracked me up.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here