Review: Heavy Rain

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Review: Heavy Rain

So much of Heavy Rain is brilliant that you won't mind the parts that are broken.

Read Full Article

I too was gravely upset at their pronunciation of the word Origami. From Origrami to Origamee and all the other ways some characters pronounced it inbetween. Good review, I really enjoyed hte game when I played it and even pulled an all nighter because the story hooked me in so well.

Seems to carry a heavy reminder of the Farenheit game they did...

I have to admit, I like the style and it is certainly fresh at least...kinda like a film where you are a main actor

That's it. I'm stealing a PS3 from some person and then buying this!

This. Game. Looks. Amazing.

I doubt I can be budged on how much I hate this game until I actually play it, which sound ridiculous I know.

But then, I'm screwed either way. If I do buy it, and hate it, I'll feel like an idiot. But, if I don't play it I won't be able to form a concrete opinion of it.

Maybe I should just steal it.

Sparrow:
I doubt I can be budged on how much I hate this game until I actually play it, which sound ridiculous I know.

But then, I'm screwed either way. If I do buy it, and hate it, I'll feel like an idiot. But, if I don't play it I won't be able to form a concrete opinion of it.

I don't understand...why do you hate it?

I never really wanted a PS3 until now.

Even when I heard what Heavy Rain was about, I was leery. But now that I've seen it in action, I'm wondering how long I'd survive if one of my kidneys were to mysteriously disappear only to have some extra cash show up on my doorstep.

Damn you, Susan.

Hooray for the return of the FMV game, it's like the 90s all over again... except prettier

I for one will try to give this a look, one day at least

Mlaargh. I've been waiting for this game since...well, since Fahrenheit. But of couuurse it's an exclusive. Ach. That means I have to wait for probably a few years, IF the game is a hit, before it's converted to the PC. So, all you PS3-users: get to buying so that they can eventually muscle in to the PC market!

You keep calling Norman 'Nathan' in the writeup. Might want to correct that.

It's a great experience, but for a game in which story telling is central it has some major plot holes and stereotypical characters.

This looks like one of the best games ever. I'd be happy just to sit back and watch somebody playing through it.

Unfortunately, it's an exclusive title, which means I won't be buying it. We can't all afford every console, and given the PS3's original price tag, I made my choice long ago. I can't shell out $300+ just for one or two exclusives.

pluizig:
You keep calling Norman 'Nathan' in the writeup. Might want to correct that.

Sonofa...I have some kind of bizarre mental block when it comes to him. I originally called him Nathan in the video, too. Thank you, imma go fix that now.

Clearly I have an Uncharted fixation.

LaochEire:
It's a great experience, but for a game in which story telling is central it has some major plot holes and stereotypical characters.

That is true, but the overall experience is still an enjoyable one. I think that in a lesser game, the things we're complaining about wouldn't even come up...it's just that by contrast, the rest of Heavy Rain is so good that the flaws show up more dramatically.

Speaking from experience (I'm very close to the end of my first playthrough now), I agree 100% with this review. The game definitely has its flaws, and particularly those in the plot are more glaring because the plot is so central to this type of game, but it also honestly gave me some of the most emotionally intense moments I've ever experienced in a game. I honestly think they've invented a new type of game here, and I really hope they can expand and refine the underlying formula to tell more stories in this manner.

Susan Arendt:

LaochEire:

That is true, but the overall experience is still an enjoyable one. I think that in a lesser game, the things we're complaining about wouldn't even come up...it's just that by contrast, the rest of Heavy Rain is so good that the flaws show up more dramatically.

I agree with you on that one. I also noticed it was extremely bugged as well. I didn't get the ending I would have like because of it, but like you say the pros outweigh the flaws.

Also, I can see why you mixed up Ethan with Nathan since they both look and sound alike.

Yeah this game is very good, enough where I forgive its flaws. Those flaws being some god aweful voice acting (every secondary character seemed to have a horrible voice actor), glitches (my first time through the game flat up froze on me three times before I beat the game), and occasionally annoying QTE (call me crazy but holding down four different buttons on my controller at once is not an easy task for me). The story hooked me, hard, and it's incredibly imersive, I found myself really thinking like the characters. Sure I COULD chicken out on this challenge, but Ethan wouldn't he'd do this crazy task because it means saving his son.

Susan Arendt:

LaochEire:

Hopefully these issues won't plague L.A. Noir. I have a feeling that, when this genre really comes into it's own a few years down the road, VG journalists are going to hold up Heavy Rain and Fahrenheit and say, "This is where the paradigm shifted."

This review captures the game perfectly. Sure the game has some flaws but I think a game that can make you look pass those flaws is even more beautiful. It truly shines even though it might be a little dirty.

I actually want to buy a PS3 for this game! =D

This game was excellent; I'm glad to have it in my collection.

I'm going to play through again with the intention of wasting every character in the most horrific manner possible.

This is my first time commenting on one of your reviews so I must first say that you have a voice that could soothe the heart of a thousand origami killers.

Now onward with my comment. I was quite happy to see that heavy rain managed not only to excel at refreshing the way a story could be told in a videogame, but it also cemented itself into the minds of critics and fans alike. I was in heavy anticipation of this game in part because it was made by Quantic Dream who also made Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (which I noticed other people have harken) making Heavy Rain somewhat of a spiritual successor. My hope was for Quantic Dream to no longer be known for "That game that was really good but fell to pieces 3/4ths of the way in" and revive itself with something as fantastic as it previous game attempted to be and I see that Heavy rain is just that.
Thank you for the review and thanks for your insights.

Looks interesting, but still not worth buying a PS3 for esp. since I can't afford it right now.

RNunez:
This is my first time commenting on one of your reviews so I must first say that you have a voice that could soothe the heart of a thousand origami killers.

Now onward with my comment. I was quite happy to see that heavy rain managed not only to excel at refreshing the way a story could be told in a videogame, but it also cemented itself into the minds of critics and fans alike. I was in heavy anticipation of this game in part because it was made by Quantic Dream who also made Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (which I noticed other people have harken) making Heavy Rain somewhat of a spiritual successor. My hope was for Quantic Dream to no longer be known for "That game that was really good but fell to pieces 3/4ths of the way in" and revive itself with something as fantastic as it previous game attempted to be and I see that Heavy rain is just that.

I specifically avoided mentioning Indigo Prophecy because I think Heavy Rain deserves to stand on its own merits. But it's worth noting the enormous leaps that Quantic Dream made from one game to the next. That, more than anything, is what makes me eagerly anticipate whatever QD does next. I hope they're given the chance to refine the game style even further. Heavy Dream is just this side of astounding. Given a bit more time, just imagine what QD could do.

Susan Arendt:

Sparrow:

Well, in general, not a big fan of any console exclusives. I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360, and yet I still hate the very concept of the fact developers hold titles from other consoles for personal gain is well, dick-ish. I understand in most cases, it's different for the Wii.

The main reason is, well, I don't think this is the right game for a console (goes back on my previous point a bit, but meh). I actually think this game could fully operate with the use of a DVD remote. Everyone that reviews this says it's like "an interactive movie experience". Nobody ever goes straight to calling it a game.

I just don't understand why it couldn't function on something it's better suited to. Like... a blu-ray player.

Sparrow:

Susan Arendt:

Sparrow:

Well, in general, not a big fan of any console exclusives in general. I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360, and yet I still hate the very concept of the fact developers hold titles from other consoles for personal gain is well, dick-ish. I understand in most cases, it's different for the Wii.

The main reason is, well, I don't think this is the right game for a console (goes back on my previous point a bit, but meh). I actually think this game could fully operate with the use of a DVD remote. Everyone that reviews this says it's like "an interactive movie experience". Nobody ever goes straight to calling it a game.

I just don't understand why it couldn't function on something it's better suited to. Like... a blu-ray player.

If you played it, you'd understand better. You need the range of movement that the joystick provides. You're still walking around in 3d space, something that wouldn't work as well on a DVD remote, for example. It would be possible to do a game like this on a Blu-ray player, but it wouldn't be nearly as good.

Now, Natal, on the other hand...that would be fascinating.

As for exclusives, it's not as though they're doing it out of spite, it's a matter of development teams (at least in this case...in other instances, it's a matter of being paid to be exclusive). If you have a large enough team to develop for more than one console, then that's marvelous, but if you don't, it's in your best interest to focus your attention on delivering the best experience you can for a single platform, whatever that platform may be. Quantic Dream just plain isn't big enough to develop for multiple platforms at once. Hardly "dickish" of them to want to make the best game they can with the resources at their disposal.

I don't actually agree with the cons. Bad voice acting at times? It may be for someone from an English origin, but to me it was perfect. I barely had any bugs and my game never froze, in contradiction with what other players on the internet were reporting.

If I was reviewing this, I'd give it five stars. It is such an emotional experience that, even weeks after having finished it, I am still pondering over the fact who the Origami Killer is. One of the best games ever. Even though I didn't approve of his actions, I still had sympathy for his motives. Without spoiling anything: the Origami Killer has been through some tough crap.

People who are downsizing this game to an interactive movie with Quick Time Events don't have the slightest idea what Heavy Rain is really about, or are just jealous because they do not own a PS3. It's not about action, about graphics or about a cheap thrill. It's about involvement, the experience, the amazing story, the repercussions you create as a player and the way that Heavy Rain pulls out your heart and spreads the content over the table. And it exceeded all my expectations by far. Kudos to you, Quantic Dream. Kudos.

Susan Arendt:

Sparrow:

Susan Arendt:

Sparrow:

Well, in general, not a big fan of any console exclusives in general. I own a Wii, a PS3 and a 360, and yet I still hate the very concept of the fact developers hold titles from other consoles for personal gain is well, dick-ish. I understand in most cases, it's different for the Wii.

If you played it, you'd understand better. You need the range of movement that the joystick provides. You're still walking around in 3d space, something that wouldn't work as well on a DVD remote, for example. It would be possible to do a game like this on a Blu-ray player, but it wouldn't be nearly as good.

As for exclusives, it's not as though they're doing it out of spite, it's a matter of development teams (at least in this case...in other instances, it's a matter of being paid to be exclusive). If you have a large enough team to develop for more than one console, then that's marvelous, but if you don't, it's in your best interest to focus your attention on delivering the best experience you can for a single platform, whatever that platform may be. Quantic Dream just plain isn't big enough to develop for multiple platforms at once. Hardly "dickish" of them to want to make the best game they can with the resources at their disposal.

Exactly why I need to play this game before my opinion is better than moot.

But, again, I don't want to buy a game on the basis of wanting to just prove a point.

Sparrow:

Susan Arendt:

Sparrow:

Susan Arendt:

Sparrow:

Exactly why I need to play this game before my opinion is better than moot.

But, again, I don't want to buy a game on the basis of wanting to just prove a point.

Sure, that makes sense. Rent or borrow, perhaps?

The reference sequence that ends the video is the single greatest moment of my time visiting The Escapist. Thank you, Susan. Thank you a thousand times!

Susan Arendt:

RNunez:

I specifically avoided mentioning Indigo Prophecy because I think Heavy Rain deserves to stand on its own merits. But it's worth noting the enormous leaps that Quantic Dream made from one game to the next. That, more than anything, is what makes me eagerly anticipate whatever QD does next. I hope they're given the chance to refine the game style even further. Heavy Dream is just this side of astounding. Given a bit more time, just imagine what QD could do.

Agreed. Given enough time Quantic Dream could very well become a gamer household name. I like to think with the way people are upset with another big name French developer that will go unnamed, they have more room to expand. Also, rumor has it that the next game will be a sequel to Omikron, Omikron 2.

The gameplay aside, if you make the wrong decisions, heavy rain can be the most depressing thing you'll play in a long time.

This is one of those games that I just can't quite like.

The way that even the smallest forms of interactivity draw you into the environment is always nagged by the at best okay and at worst laughable voice acting.

In a way Heavy Rain reminded me of the first Assassin's Creed: It's like playing an amazing game, but someone keeps jabbing you in the side with a pencil every few minutes.

Not really a massive complaint but that spoiler at the end seemed massively uneccessary to put in... I mean the video wouldn't have been any worse if it was left out, only more people could have watched it.

PayJ567:
Not really a massive complaint but that spoiler at the end seemed massively uneccessary to put in... I mean the video wouldn't have been any worse if it was left out, only more people could have watched it.

Unless, of course, it isn't a spoiler. But then, maybe it is. Who knows?

There are other spoilers in the video that aren't obvious or important unless you're actually playing the game, thus the warning.

One day, one day I shall play this title. Until then, I'll have to wait I guess.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here