Review: Heavy Rain

Pages PREV 1 2 3

So the gameplay style for Dragon's Lair has finally matured a bit, eh?

I kind of wish I had a PS3 to try this game as I do like trying the newer or oddball stuff. *sigh*

Yossarian1507:

sunpop:
Yet another video about heavy rain I cant watch yet :( I keep wanting to watch reviews of the game but I have yet to play anymore than the demo. Damn this game/movie making it impossible to read or watch anything about it without spoilers. So someone tell me is it worth selling a few games to gamestop for heavy rain or should I just wait?

If you want to get an amazing story and unleash emotions (various. From extreme adrenaline on some more neck-breaking chapters, through shock and sadness from depressing parts, to happiness if you'll manage to get to the happy ending) you never felt during any game ever (and even if you felt something like that to THAT extent from other game, then you should already know how awesome is that), then go for it. HR is IMO worth every single penny you'll spend on it.

Well I think that does it for me I will be selling some games to get heavy rain then, thanks for that.

Oh joy more fun with the six axis function, at least the zp for this game will be pretty brutal.

Bottom Line: Flawed though it may be, Heavy Rain is simply brilliant. If you have ever, even for a moment, felt like you've done and seen everything gaming has to offer, play this. Games will feel brand new to you again.

I bought and love heavy rain, but the similarities to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (developed by the same studio) are immense. So even if you feel like you've seen and done everything gaming has to offer - you have if you played Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain doesn't really innovate except fixing some of the annoying things with Fahrenheit... such as the story. Oddly enough Heavy Rain made walking around fucking impossible wherein Fahrenheit it was your standard kind of walking.

I guess I'm just really sick of everyone hailing heavy rain for having new and innovative gameplay when it DOESN'T. It's all been done before, and just because it's a game most people didn't play doesn't mean it's contribution should be ignored.

Susan, I hate you. I was seriously considering buying a PS3 for this game and there you go giving away the biggest piece of the puzzle, just to complain about bad voice acting?

Fair enough, you did say there would be spoilers, but this seems like the biggest spoiler ever!

On the bright side, you did save my money since I don't have to buy a PS3 now.

PS I don't really hate you, but you deserve a smacking! :)

If you've seen the trailers for the game, that scene was already spoiled for you.

But more to the point, I think your severely overestimating the level to which this will spoil the game. Like, huge, mega, ultra gigga amounts of overestimating going on as to what impact that spoiler has on your ability to enjoy the game.

For example, my path through the game involved me questioning no less than five different suspects linked to the crime, and at least three of them are directly accused of being the killer before the end of the game. Its very much your job as the player to parce out the false leads and see the right path through the mystery.

NicolasMarinus:
Susan, I hate you. I was seriously considering buying a PS3 for this game and there you go giving away the biggest piece of the puzzle, just to complain about bad voice acting?

Since you're incredibly quick to judge, I'm going to tell you that it isn't as bad as you think.
That right there was twist 7 out of something like 45. She didn't give away enough.
Get over it.
Buy the fucking game.

Yossarian1507:

Warachia:
heavy rain sucked for me, too little action thinly spread on a weakly told story, in a game based around story.

How the story was told is a point of view thing, so I'm not going to dwell on that, but too little action? IMO it had plenty of it. Every Scott chapter except maybe two had some real good action. Ethan chapters after first few ones? [spoiler]Driving the wrong way of the Highway? Crawling through the broken glass and avoiding electrical shocks? Cutting your own finger? Running away from Shotgun wielding guy? 2 Police raids? That's too little? If yes, then I don't really know what were you expecting...

When I say that there was too little action, I am not saying that there was no action at all, nor that the action was bad, it was great when things finally started to happen, driving the wrong way? Awesome, avoiding electrical currents? Great, when I figured what direction to go in, the scott chaper action scenes were great, the broken glass thing though, SUCKED and it sucked because the controls sucked, I had to repeat that section over and over, because Ethan could not make a ninety degree turn. Sadly, I also saw through how most of the events were scripted, and all of the action scenes, except the ending, were less than five minutes long. Whenever I watched scenes, most of the time, I wasn't there, I was some outside gguy deliberatly pushing/not pushing certain buttons so I could see what idiot A would do next. As a final point, maybe the root of the problem lies with the fact that graphics do absolutely nothing for me, and have never made a game, although they certainly help.

By the way, the burning scene sucked too.

I was really thinking about buying this game and using the PS3 motion controls.. But then i realized how gimmicky this game was and didn't buy it.. I am kind of regretting it now.. It looks interesting but again not enough for me to go shell out nearly a 100$ to get the proper equipment to play it the way it was intended to play.. Its kind of like how i always loved old school PinBall machines but i never wanted to pay nearly 1000$ for one..

AC10:

Bottom Line: Flawed though it may be, Heavy Rain is simply brilliant. If you have ever, even for a moment, felt like you've done and seen everything gaming has to offer, play this. Games will feel brand new to you again.

I bought and love heavy rain, but the similarities to Fahrenheit/Indigo Prophecy (developed by the same studio) are immense. So even if you feel like you've seen and done everything gaming has to offer - you have if you played Fahrenheit, Heavy Rain doesn't really innovate except fixing some of the annoying things with Fahrenheit... such as the story. Oddly enough Heavy Rain made walking around fucking impossible wherein Fahrenheit it was your standard kind of walking.

I guess I'm just really sick of everyone hailing heavy rain for having new and innovative gameplay when it DOESN'T. It's all been done before, and just because it's a game most people didn't play doesn't mean it's contribution should be ignored.

watching the review, I realized the same thing, its the Indigo Prophecy all over again.. hopefully without the nutball plot twist, but then I don't have a ps3 so I won't be playing it.

Nurb:

AC10:

watching the review, I realized the same thing, its the Indigo Prophecy all over again.. hopefully without the nutball plot twist, but then I don't have a ps3 so I won't be playing it.

The story in Heavy Rain is WAYYYYYYYYYY more grounded in reality. There are still definitely fictional elements, but none of them are as ludicrous as your zombie main character fighting sentient artificial intelligences from the internet. And for those who haven't played Indigo Prophecy, yes that really happened.

why did a game like this come out as a console exclusive?

it is clearly more the sort of thing that PC gamers would buy just so we can fell all artsy and crap

control scheme looks like it would have worked perfectly with a mouse and keyboard

Thank you for reviewing this one, Susan! I've been extremely curious about Heavy Rain precisely because it is attempting something new in game play styles for the "investigative" type of games. As much as I enjoy Yahtzee's reviews, they are not always a complete picture. It's always nice to come across one of your thoughtful pieces and this one really helped to flesh out the style of this new, experimental type of game. Thanks again!

Heavy rain is the best game out yet for me because it has got the best storyline that there has ever been in a game. Also it draws you in as if your actually there making the vast amount of choices to choose from. I really liked this game and i would recomend it to everyone who has the best console, called PS3!

Loved the different endings!

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or