Zero Punctuation: Aliens vs Predator

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

snowplow:
I couldn't get far in this game because it sucked.

Seriously, the heavy attack and the grab kill with the predator take so fucking long. SO LONG. FUCK. HOW CAN I BREAK THROUGH A BLOCKING ALIEN WHEN IT TAKES 4 SECONDS TO SWING THAT STUPID ARM.
Human campaign was subpar FPS
Alien campaign was probably the best, but still meh.

I don't understand why people always complain about the long animations for the grab kills. Nothing is forcing you to use the grab kills, they are an option. If you do the instant kill move you balance that advantage with the disadvantage of being vulnerable. If you don't want to suffer the vulnerability, then just don't do the move.

The heavy attack takes longer, you have to move your predator during the windup to stay on target. Otherwise just keep pounding with the quick jab. Or go find a weapon and blast him one.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Yahtzee to review Heavy Rain? It's a brilliant game, but the gameplay definitely doesn't seem like his cup of tea.

VoidEternal:
Still decently fun on the multi-player in my opinion. I'm glad they got the feel of each racial class down, and finishing moves should be in every FPS game in my own opinion.

However, lack of a REAL Single Player game, and the fact that "ranking" up in the multiplayer aspect is literally pointless because you only unlock different skins for each race made it extremely unfinished.

This game is more of a "DL off a torrent site and pop it in now and then to have a bit of fun".

Not really worth any money at all.

If it's not worth your money, then why play it at all?

soapyshooter:

ark123:

soapyshooter:
I was hoping for a early review of God of War III. =/

Meanwhile you can watch the other 20 ZPs where he mentions he lives in Australia and that games take forever to show up down under.

Thats why i said "hoping" I HOPED he would do one, i didnt whine that he didnt.

What exactly is the point of hoping for something you know isn't going to happen?
Contrary to popular belief, Yahtzee doesn't have unreleased software stealing flying monkeys.

You know, I already HAVE AVP. Just an older one. And it really REALLY sounded like Yahtzee was reviewing it rather than some newer game that stole the same name because game companies now lack even the creativity to put NUMBERS after the bloody words in their titles.

Phsx2:

axleblaze:
I hacen't had a chance to watch it yet (and I doubt those that posted before me have) but STOP IT WITH THE FUCKING GIANT ADS AROUND THE VIDEO! It freezes my PS3 when I try to watch on it and it's just god damned obnoxious.

Er you realise the escapist has to make money somehow.

They have ads at the top of the screen and the bottom, they don't need obtrusive ones that like that. There's a way to advertise without being annoying.

Awesome review - hoping to see what he thinks of Heavy Rain next time. (Or rather, hope to see him shred it inside out for being nothing more than a film you press buttons to watch play.)

ark123:

soapyshooter:

ark123:

soapyshooter:
I was hoping for a early review of God of War III. =/

Meanwhile you can watch the other 20 ZPs where he mentions he lives in Australia and that games take forever to show up down under.

Thats why i said "hoping" I HOPED he would do one, i didnt whine that he didnt.

What exactly is the point of hoping for something you know isn't going to happen?
Contrary to popular belief, Yahtzee doesn't have unreleased software stealing flying monkeys.

You don't have to be a dick about it.

Pretty good but it seems like Yahtzee speaks slower than usual...or is it just me :/ I think it's losing its 'zero punctuation' aspect XD

lol, i kept trying to start it going "wtf is with this ad?!" i refreshed it, and almost gave up, but then i clicked to allow the ads video (click to flash blocks flash objects until i click them) and there was the video..

im kinda pissed though, yahtzee, when the hell are you gonna review heavy rain? its already out worldwide, and its begging for your critic goo all over her face

Aaaand... once again Yahtzee has stricken another piece of crap off my list before I caved and dished out the cash to buy it. I'm still getting Bioshock 2 though...

Agree with this finished the predator missions first then the alien ones and for once I actually preferred the alien missions. Stealthy litte arseholes the lot of em which is how they should be played, once you get the hang of the wall floor roof floor ceiling thingy the missions for them are really cool. Bit short though.

Was very disapointed with some of the weapons available to the predator, the melee combat was a nice touch makes the game slightly more interesting than mashing mouse 1 till whatever is in front of you dies. But the ranged weapons the predator has and the fact they can only be used with mouse 3 or was a pretty bad idea imo.

Marines well who cares their basicly cannon fodder for both 'aliens' arent they. Did try the missions but nearly fell asleep :(

Some of the things they tried I liked others kinda let me down. Not too sure what I think bout this game tbh, lets just say that I've stopped playing it for the moment.

Nice review. I'm glad he seemed to enjoy it at least a bit. There are good things to be had in this game, you just need to be patient, and play the game like its 1999.

Why can't they just rerelease AvP2? In HD?

I'd be happy.

ziggy161:
Pretty good but it seems like Yahtzee speaks slower than usual...or is it just me :/ I think it's losing its 'zero punctuation' aspect XD

not sure, i listened again to see, but really, i cant tell, its slower than it used to be, but not much slower than recent times

Why would anyone would want to play the generic human in a game called Alien vs. predator? This could have been better if they didn't focus on the human.

Great humorous review. I still love the game though, but I understand the flaws. The alien glisten makes survivor sooo much easier. I also wish you could have played as the Abomination/Queen in the campaign.

I agree with Yahtzee on this one. Since when do humans have to get involved? I'm sick of humans always being in everything Aliens, Aliens Vs. Predator, or Predator. Do they always have to come to earth? Or do humans always have to be a part of it? Will we just not care if humans aren't involved? Are we going to cry about it?

What IS the difference between atmospheric pacing and fuck all happening?

I gave up on this franchise when the movies came out. Something in the back of my mind told me that the "Hollywood perspective" would translate to the games.

Phsx2:

axleblaze:
I hacen't had a chance to watch it yet (and I doubt those that posted before me have) but STOP IT WITH THE FUCKING GIANT ADS AROUND THE VIDEO! It freezes my PS3 when I try to watch on it and it's just god damned obnoxious.

Er you realise the escapist has to make money somehow.

Why yes it does but there are other ways it can display ads.

Waaaa, Marines are marines, Aliens crawl on walls, Predators are too stealthy and melee oriented.
Sounds just like the GI review.

I rate this Z.P. a 2/10. pretty metaphors but the lack of content leaves it...well lacking.

Hubilub:
Ah, I'm glad he touched upon the point that there is only 1 predator encounter for both Alien and Marine campaign.

You see, people? Multiplayer can't be balanced because the game was designed to have the predator be overpowered!

Umm, have you played it? what makes is balanced is the fact the fact preds have to look for the weapons, also the pred in the marine campaign doesn't work like a regular pred, he has like shield thingy and then his regular health, so can't compare them. The preds in the alien campaign(Notice the s there, there is two, possibly three I was disoriented) And though they act like normal preds, you can't stealh kill them, and you can't do the two hit combo that works in online (They may possibly have more health, unsure) so yes, I would say it can be balanced.

Isn't it funny how nobody seems to mention the multi-player on this game? I didn't expect that from him though since we all know he doesn't go for that, but still.

It's funny how Halo can be so highly rated review wise with the multi-player used as a critc defense shield while this game doesn't seem to get that at all.

Maybe this is just nostalgia talking but the '99 one was WAY better. The whole engine was built from the ground up to grab the atmosphere of the movies and boy did it ever. The alien in this one moves sluggishly and there is a damn sprint button. Why wouldn't the alien be sprinting ALL the time?

The Alien can see in the dark but since you have no idea where the dark spots are you don't know where to hide. The attacks are slow and hard to aim, and blocking in an FPS is just stupid.

The whole "press E to hump your target to death" mechanic is boring and stupid. But I knew it would come to that because everyone wanted to emulate the lame Halo melee button. (and yes I know duke nukem 3d had a melee button but it didn't 1 shot people in multiplayer)

I was such a huge fanboi of the 99 version and wanted this one to not suck so bad. But alas the devs pushed out a bag of fail.

Gotta admit, it was pretty medicore.
Which is odd, because you're meant to be playing two of the most awesome alien species ever and a guy who took a giant metal brick to the face and is like "fuck that, I'm going to kill my way outta here".

*Sigh*

nice episode so funny

Another glorious review, quite hilarious, but if you don't mind I would like to give it a try myself before I jump to any conclusions.

As I am a lazy tw@t who can't be bothered to read every comment I will assume I am the first to say that there was a game that was (more or less) what Yahtzee described near the end there.
"Predator: Concrete Jungle" it was called, good game I'd say.

Alien Vs Predator 2 (PC) was the only one I've ever played of this kind, and I stayed with it because it worked out best for me in multiplayer. If they'd ever worked out how to make the three campaigns work good, then there would be good AvP movies as well, which results in ending the universe.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Aliens vs Predator

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Aliens vs Predator.

Watch Video

Fun review as always ^_^, but I'd like to point out the last part.

You'd not be playing Batman: Arcanam Asylum.
You'd be playing Predator: Concrete Jungle so go pick it up right now! :P

the campaign lengths dont suprise me at all.
neither does the reflectiveness of the aliens' skin. i guess flashlights or the dim lights around you are quite useful.
still wanna play it big time! i want to play all 3 sides, they'd all be entertaining to some extent im sure...

To bad Yahtzee didn't review it's MP. That should have given me another 1-2 minutes of pun's too laugh at. dont get me wrong the MP gameplay is okay imo. Just the way it all hangs together is really SHIT! matchmaking, no rounds...*vomits*

It's true, I found the campaigns to be lacking, and I didn't really expect him to break code and try the multiplayer, so a pretty accurate review overall. I have a feeling I'm gonna have to try out Predator: Concrete Jungle...as well as Arkham Asylum >3>

I was surprised, reading the comments, at all those who bitched about this review not being Heavy Rain...at first I thought Yahtzee was exaggerating the claims of swarms of fanbois whining at him to review something, but apparently he's right on the spot.

As for AVP, I thoroughly enjoy the multiplayer of AVP, and having recently re-watched the entire series (both A and P) I must admit that those two characters are spot on as far as their gameplay goes. The humans? BLEARRCHHGHBCSWEIKFAB. Sub-standard FPS, don't even NEED flares, and, as Yahtzee said, NOTHING MUCH GOIN' ON.

Anyways, great review, I'm gonna continue playing the game cuz I really enjoy both the multiplayer and the not-human campaigns. So, yeah.

Some funny lines in it. Although I do like the idea of a full predator game

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or