Zero Punctuation: Aliens vs Predator

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Octopusesgarden:
I'm probably gonna be the first in about a bajillionth comment requests but...when are you getting round to heavy rain?Just curious.AND NO REPLY TELLING ME THAT I'M A HEAVY RAIN FANBOY.

He probably never will remember Yahtzee and his hatred for QTE ever since it stole his girlfriend and he failed the QTE necessary to win her back?

Mix that with Heavy Rain being basically QTE home turf and you got Yahtzee's next Too Human. However I hope he still reviews it seeing as the game is quite good both in immersion and intrigue.

Great review. The game wasn't as good as I hoped it was. Although they needed to expand the game play a little bit more and make the game go by a little slower...

1337mokro:

Octopusesgarden:
I'm probably gonna be the first in about a bajillionth comment requests but...when are you getting round to heavy rain?Just curious.AND NO REPLY TELLING ME THAT I'M A HEAVY RAIN FANBOY.

He probably never will remember Yahtzee and his hatred for QTE ever since it stole his girlfriend and he failed the QTE necessary to win her back?

Mix that with Heavy Rain being basically QTE home turf and you got Yahtzee's next Too Human. However I hope he still reviews it seeing as the game is quite good both in immersion and intrigue.

Well he seems to hate QTEs only when unexpected like the first uncharted wich only had four small ones

Very good review as always, and stopped me going out and wasting money on it.

dark666105:
Funny the game he described at the end as "Predator campaign, 6 hours longer, with titan combat from a third person perspective, and with AI that can tie it's fucking shoelaces" is pretty much the description of Predator: Concrete Jungle which came out for PS2 and XBOX (yes the first one) back in 05. It wasn't the best game but if you are a fan of predator it was pretty good.

Agreed!

I've been playing the demo (Ramay Sitara) and I've found that everything Yahtzee has said in the review video is true. I've also been enjoying the gameplay mostly as an Xenomorph and a Predator. Playing as a Marine is third rate even though one shotgun blast can down a Predator or Xenomorph and the other times you stand a chance is if you have the Marine Heavy Machine gun that needs a hydraulic arm for some reason but it has the HUD that can sense enemies similar to the Xenomorphs abilities...until you get killed cuz it's such an open area. I also think it's unnecessary to have the ability to disable the Predators charging station.

SammiYin:
Made an account on here just to say this

Personally I feel it was a poor review, you didn't go into any detail on gameplay mechanics or the brutality of the fighting, all you seemed to do was mock the concept for half the review and then mention the game iself as an aside, surprised nobody else in the thread mentioned this, but if they did I stopped reading due to the disgusting ammount of sycophancy in the thread that consists of your fanbase, I'm not attacking you [if you'll even read this] more the people who take your word as objective truth, when are you people going to learn to form opinions for yourselves and not base them on half a review of a game in which very little of the key elements are covered? Give the game a chance and don't refuse to buy it simply because 'They are both aliens and predators by technicality'

Yes I'm an avp fanboy, we all have our weaknesses, the people in this thread clearly have no self esteem as theirs

I too am an AvP fanboy and I can go on about everything I like and dislike in detail but everyone doesn't take the Zero Punctuation reviews to heart. We watch to know what possible frustrations are forecoming when we play and we have to just either deal with these revealed frustrations of the game or not play the game at all.

I know but that seems to be the impression I'm getting from some of the posts here, people aren't even giving it a chance based on a sub par review that barely mentions the gameplay mechanics or other aspects of the game.

Octopusesgarden:

1337mokro:

Octopusesgarden:

Well he seems to hate QTEs only when unexpected like the first uncharted wich only had four small ones

"If you must use them at least make them a core part of the gameplay don't just throw them in randomly."

This and the multiple video games of Yahtzee VS QTE makes me assume he absolutely hates them unless done well and it doesn't help that Heavy Rain being made by the same guys from Indigo Prophecy which he actually uplifted to a gaming disease :).

But We can only hope and spam his mail.

I just realized how funny watching Yahtzee review Heavy rain would be. Its just ONE BIG QUICK TIME EVENT!

Good review, not so great game. glad I didn't buy it.

Octopusesgarden:

1337mokro:

Octopusesgarden:

yep, he said that it wouldn't be as bad if it was a whole gameplay based on it, so...^^

CheckD3:
I wonder, in the movies, they'd fire rounds into the aliens and it barely phased them, yet from what I've heard, the Aliens in the game seem to be extremely easy, why?

Because every time the xenomorphs in the original tetralogy go up against people with modern/futuristic firearms and the knowledge to use them properly (as opposed to frightened civilians who are having to jury-rig a defense together on the spot) they're slaughtered. Seriously, rewatch Aliens. The titular beasties die like the insects they resemble. If one ever gets within fifteen feet of you for any reason, you will die, but as long as you have ammo and can arrange things so that they can only attack from one direction, assault rifles will win the day.

On topic: I looked up Predator: Concrete Jungle because the talk in this thread piqued my interest... and the reviews are middling to terrible all around. This is a shame, because a pure Predator game has the potential to be excellent, and it writes itself.

"You're a yautja. You need to kill things to gain social status and impress the freakishly huge ladies of your species. Killing things with less weaponry is more badass and earns you more respect from your peers. Murder your way through a large variety of deadly alien creatures, possibly climaxing with the totally awesome duel from the first (actually good!) Alien vs Predator novel where the yautja in question fought an alien queen with nothing but claws and maybe a spear."

Not sure how this hasn't been made into a decent game yet.

Or, speaking of Arkham Asylum, there were not one but THREE Batman vs Predator comics the last time I checked, and they were all fairly decent. Why not adapt them? Admittedly, DC might have to give a little, let the Predator actually mutilate some people, but it could be pretty good. I'd buy it if it were anywhere near the level of Arkham Asylum.

I've always LOVED the AvP series. Right down to the comics and the movies. Well, not really the AvP movies. I thought they were TERRIBLE. I like aliens and the predator movies. Now that I think about it, tho. Both AvP 1 and 2 for the pc had horrible single player campaigns too. It was a great game at the time because it had a very unique multiplayer experience. This is really not the case anymore.

Personally, I was always an alien (the black, dribbly ones) so I was really looking forward to some intense alien-oriented action and I had the same problem Yahtzee did. I don't know HOW many times I wanted to pounce on someone outside a vent but just ended up doing circles instead. Then, I get to the damned opening (after flying across it a dozen times) and, instead of just dropping on top of him, I find myself wall-crawling across the ceiling above him. At this point I've lost my line of sight to him and he's, most likely, shooting me. Who cares what the story and such is like when the game play is this flawed.

Oh and, you won't sell me on the Predator or Marine game play. There's a million new games out there that have identical game play and are just WAY better. For that matter? Why the hell am I playing AvP, for the alien game play, when I can just go be a skulk in Natural-Selection?

Chaotic Neutral:

"You're a yautja. You need to kill things to gain social status and impress the freakishly huge ladies of your species. Killing things with less weaponry is more badass and earns you more respect from your peers. Murder your way through a large variety of deadly alien creatures, possibly climaxing with the totally awesome duel from the first (actually good!) Alien vs Predator novel where the yautja in question fought an alien queen with nothing but claws and maybe a spear."

Not sure how this hasn't been made into a decent game yet.

Wow yeah that DOES sound really freaking awesome? So did the batman crossover you suggested. How hard would it be to make a bad guy Predator that DOESN'T follow the rules of the hunt and just goes around murdering innocents with his crazy energy guns. Then batman can team up with a goodly predator to bring him to justice.

What's up with you anyway, gaming industry? You're letting all your gamers down T_T

Ha ha at the fat kid.

To be perfectly honest the game is just a remake of the first AvP from way back, a decent attempt at a remake but one that ultimately failed due to American desensitization. However I find it rather difficult to agree with what Zero said about it taking elements from previous games, given the previously mentioned game (Doom 3) took those very same elements from the first AvP.

Now, for those of you saying you're glad for not buying it, shame on you, it's still a very good game with some challenging multi-player... when you can find a damn game that is lol

But seriously though, I guess the main reason it failed was lack of any real reward system, like in Modern Warfare 2 or MAG.

You mean like a... Bad Blood perhaps? Forget the term but there are yautja that go against the rules, but few really care how many innocent prey items they kill, Bad Bloods are usually bad because they murdered some important Yautja or somethin like that.

Onyx Oblivion:
I thought the game sucked from the demo...Seriously...Not even the old PC one everyone worships was good.

Do not judge this game based on the demo. The demo sucked.

Here's Angry Joe to explain why people shouldn't judge based on that god awful demo: http://angryjoeshow.com/?p=6474

funny, the pre-video ad was for AvP...

hilarious review as always, although it seemed markedly slower-pace than usual, which wasn't a bad thing, just strange.

It's so sad too see a game that was supposed to be a nice remake/continuation of the '99 AVP game. Throughout the game I felt as i was playing an add on for Chronicles of Riddick, having 2 aliens pitch against each other in a bar melee brawl. I mean really wtf? Predators Plasma canon lasts for 2-3 shots that are going to hit. Alien is made of paper when you play it, but they take half of pulse rifle magazine/4 hits by Predator to fall. The story is way too generic and campaign too short. Also Alien = Predator in campaign. Marine is survival horror with elements of RACISM. -1 out of 10. Great review

Funny review...so much for a good remake.

TimeLord:
I've completed the Predator missions and found it really fun, I've started Alien now and it very confusing with the whole multi wall traversing thingy

Try the old AvP2 game from 2001. It's way easier to wall-walk in that, and the campaigns are way longer.

"humans tasty, lets eat them all, yum yum"

sums up 90% of sci-fi/horror movies and games. :)

I dont know if you already knew this, but there's already been a third-person Predator game.

It was "Predator: Concrete Jungle". From what I hear, it was more of a GTA clone with the Predator killing Haitian drug-dealers in the years 2030.

the alien vs predator is the same story as wall.e but it doesn't mean that you mean you stay for 6 hours to see a boreing human vs an angry alien and slow predator to a bash cloud in the sky

Kimarous:
Epic author credit pun. :)

What's your avatar supposed to be? Kirby after absorbing Yahtzee? :P

Absolutely no sense of humor, Predators was rather fun. Distract, finishing kill, repeat.

"Come on out mother fucker"

'Marine walks over'
'tear out his spine'

Giggle maniacally.

Repeat till that gets boring.

And you know, I must have a terrible sense of humor because that was still funny at the end. Although I'd graduated to seeing how many decapitations I could do with a disc. Not that many funnily enough, but it was still amusing.

predator concrete jungle was nice. and i really liked the old AVPs becuase the levels were at least long and back then it was a really new concept to crawl around roofs in 1p.

but my favorite gamemode is playing as alien in 1p and they never did it in another game. the marine game mode shouldnt even be in it. i didnt even complete the marine mode because it was so shit.

but i completed the alien and pred mode over and over until it got boring. and the multiplayer it so shit because of all the quick time events. to much time spent on gory drama queen bollocks.

bring back the net and nail gun for predator, get rid of marines all together and make them some sort of appetiser. to be honust they should have made it ALIEN VS PREDATOR VS TERMINATOR it would have been much more interesting than being the same old shit humans........i think we are all quite used to being humans, somebody should remind rebellion that they dont need to offer juxtaposition and stark contrast to something that all people are masters at being.

we play sci-fi's and horror games because we want to escape reality. not because we want to replay over and over the laborious tedium of being a lone gunman fighting a rambo war that realistically under no normal circumstances could ever be won.

SEGA&Rebellion, just STFU and give us more aliens.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here