Review: Battlefield Bad Company 2

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Review: Battlefield Bad Company 2

Will EA's "attack" on the Biggest Game of All Time end in victory or defeat?

Read Full Article

You may be dropped into a match on a European server, for example, automatically afflicting you with near game-breaking lag.

Oh delicious irony.

The reverse of this phenomenon is the bane of most European IWnet user's lives, it's nice (for us) to see the reverse inflicted, even if it's not deliberate.

Although perhaps it is deliberate, Dice being Swedish, maybe it's a quiet subtle jab at all the Americans who insist IWnet has no lag problems. A slient, unannounced trap to force you all into the agony of matchmaking deciding the best connection for you is a 600pinger... I'm going to get my tinfoil hat...

I so much prefer BC2 over that other military shooter because i have actually seen people use tactics in Rush mode rather than the usual shooty shooty bang bang your dead.

Its also a bit slower which suits my style of play but thats just my opinion.

I love this game. I just wish they stuck with the humor more...

And where the hell is my smiley face grenade pin?!

Irridium:

Where the hell is my Kelly's Heroes story line!?

I mean, I know they did it in the first game, but they could have done it in the sequel too!

They could have included Clint Eastwood for example.

Hubilub:

Irridium:

I mean, I know they did it in the first game, but they could have done it in the sequel too!

I know!

Also, I wanted to hear more debate on the finer points of doughnuts.

You do know that you can use server browser to find mode-specific servers? So if you take 2 minutes to set up the search engine, you will never have to play on servers from another continent.

Also, you didn't mention how the destruction engine makes people change their normal gaming habits. Before, you could camp all day as a Sniper without worrying about grenades, rocket launchers and tanks.

Now? I sometimes hesitate before running for cover in a building.

Irridium:

Hubilub:

Irridium:

I know!

Or even better!

Clint Eastwood talking about the finer points of doughnuts!

While Donald Sutherland drives around in a tank!

Hubilub:

Irridium:

Hubilub:

Irridium:

I know!

Or even better!

So the humour is gone? That was my main reason for liking the first one. The apparent absence of humour and the annoying focus on the multiplayer completely turned me off this game. I can't even bring myself to buy it.

KillerMidget:

Hubilub:

Irridium:

Hubilub:

Irridium:

I know!

Or even better!

So the humour is gone? That was my main reason for liking the first one. The apparent absence of humour and the annoying focus on the multiplayer completely turned me off this game. I can't even bring myself to buy it.

Well, there is humor, it's only not as much of it.

Kind of disappointing, really.

KillerMidget:

Oh no, its still there, just not as much of it. Most reviewers complained the humor was to "corny" or something like that. Many stated they didn't like it though.

Its a shame when devs make games for reviewers who usually play the game once then never again and not the people will play the game well after release...

I know not all reviewers are like that, but a good amount are like that

So... Was it good? Great? And how was it if you stopped comparing it to that *other* game?
Stable? Buggy? How was the sound? What was some of Your greatest moments?

Heck I could've done a better review and I don't even get paid to open my mouth to begin with.

Still just looks like your generic rehashed FPS to me.

Not even a contest. BC2 takes home the cake.

I played the PC beta, and it seemed pretty flawed. The graphics were muddy even on high, and there was so much lag that I couldn't even make a kill. I'm yet to play on the 360 which I bought it for, as my Xbox Live is down.

Is this a worthy successor of BF2?
Looking into playing some BF again, but not sure if this is like the old games.
Anyone know how well it plays against for instance BF2?

"... some special ops douchebags with pussy ass heart beat sensors on their guns."

Oh man I lol'd. Classic.

Yeah.. Let's blame lag for your inability to hit anything.

Irridium:

I was wondering that too, missing that pin! lol

Although, I think they stuck with the humour quite nicely. It wasnt much like the other one in that respect, I will give that. But, they still had it in there, even if it was just subtle at moments

Irridium:

Hubilub:

Irridium:

I know!

That was fucking funny. The only complaint I had about the characters was that Preston was depicted as such a noobie that went by the book on everything. He had a well done personality at times, but most of the time he was the silent insecure guy. And he never got the chance to talk, which didn't give the impression that they were a huggy close bunch.

I liked Battlefield 2 alot. It held my attention for a good long time before I got bored of it. I mostly used to play as a medic and ran around after battle reviving people which never got old. I didn't see them in the review :( Bad times.

Still, I think I prefer Bf games over MW2 as I like big maps. I'm not great at FPS and the bigger map allows me to ninja people...and being a medic I could self-heal so last longer in a one-on-one firefight.

Is that cheating?

Arkhangelsk:
I played the PC beta, and it seemed pretty flawed. The graphics were muddy even on high, and there was so much lag that I couldn't even make a kill. I'm yet to play on the 360 which I bought it for, as my Xbox Live is down.

Maaaybe because the client weighted about 1,5GB. It weights 4 times more now, and I doubt even half if that is maps or weapons. Also because beta is never a playable demo. And like someone said, don't blame servers, your Internet or PC for your inability to kill people.

Bilbo536:

Look deeper. Online. A little more. Tactics and teamplay. Liiittle more. Destructible environment affecting your style. Tinker it. Vehicles and Battlefield.

Irridium:

Hubilub:

Irridium:

I know!

that is so fucking funny! gonna say that on my mic with a freind!

Eerors:
I liked Battlefield 2 alot. It held my attention for a good long time before I got bored of it. I mostly used to play as a medic and ran around after battle reviving people which never got old. I didn't see them in the review :( Bad times.

Medics are still around, and it's still loads of fun to shock kill an enemy with your defibrillator.

sramota:
Heck I could've done a better review and I don't even get paid to open my mouth to begin with.

You COULD have, perhaps, but you DIDN'T. So what's your point?

However, I do wonder - when did the Escapist start giving starred reviews? I thought official Escapist policy was more along the lines of buy, rent, or avoid it.

GRoXERs:
[quote="sramota" post="6.180198.5280658"]However, I do wonder - when did the Escapist start giving starred reviews? I thought official Escapist policy was more along the lines of buy, rent, or avoid it.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/7148-Why-Were-Using-Review-Scores

I play Hardcore TDM on MW2. I played the previous bad company and didn't like it. I hated the way the guns caused feeble damage. I want my shots to count.

Hearing that there is a Hardcore mode on this has got me interested. Can anyone tell me what its like? How much Hud there is, how the game balance changes etc?

Slycne:

Medics are still around, and it's still loads of fun to shock kill an enemy with your defibrillator.

Shock paddles back? :D
*ominous voice* With great power comes great responsibility... Will you use them to heal, or will you use them to destroy?

I can multi-task.

NLS:

its not a successor for BF2. its more arcady than the epic 64 player servers with teamplay. theres no real leadership roles and all the COD kids are playing BC2 at the moment it seems as everyone is playing the recon class like theyre lone wolfs and m60 medics other than these points its a brilliant game

So the game isn't better or worse than "that other game" just different

Arkhangelsk:

Buy a new PC, & possibly look at a new ISP.

NLS:

Very worthy its basically BF2 with deformable terrain. The maps are much more focussed as well. Still very open but more deliberate in a go here FFS kinda way.

Abedeus:

Arkhangelsk:

Maaaybe because the client weighted about 1,5GB. It weights 4 times more now, and I doubt even half if that is maps or weapons. Also because beta is never a playable demo. And like someone said, don't blame servers, your Internet or PC for your inability to kill people.

Bilbo536:

Look deeper. Online. A little more. Tactics and teamplay. Liiittle more. Destructible environment affecting your style. Tinker it. Vehicles and Battlefield.

/hug

Mad Stalin:

NLS:

its not a successor for BF2. its more arcady than the epic 64 player servers with teamplay. theres no real leadership roles and all the COD kids are playing BC2 at the moment it seems as everyone is playing the recon class like theyre lone wolfs and m60 medics other than these points its a brilliant game

Allow me to translate, leadership roles = OMG your not playing the class you way I want you to FFS, recon/lone wolf = OMG that sniper shouldnt be able to shoot me or move because if he shoots me hes camping & if he rushes hes a lonewolf :/, m60 medic = OMG WTF can that guy shoot me No fair I call 'Bwahmbulance'

Simple equation Tube=Med=Ammo=Mortar.

Irridium:

Just remember, if there's a smiley face in your hand you've done it right, if not, then kaboom.

LimaBravo:

Mad Stalin:

NLS:

Allow me to translate, leadership roles = OMG your not playing the class you way I want you to FFS, recon/lone wolf = OMG that sniper shouldnt be able to shoot me or move because if he shoots me hes camping & if he rushes hes a lonewolf :/, m60 medic = OMG WTF can that guy shoot me No fair I call 'Bwahmbulance'

talking about the recons not doing their job, I guess youre one of them judging by your post..

Mad Stalin:

LimaBravo:

Mad Stalin:

NLS:

talking about the recons not doing their job, I guess youre one of them judging by your post..

So what exactly is there job ? Exactly.

bjj hero:
I play Hardcore TDM on MW2. I played the previous bad company and didn't like it. I hated the way the guns caused feeble damage. I want my shots to count.

Hearing that there is a Hardcore mode on this has got me interested. Can anyone tell me what its like? How much Hud there is, how the game balance changes etc?

No HUD, even in the tanks, which I found a tad strange, all weapons do increased damage and all health is halved, and I think the respawn timer goes up as well. Pretty much makes any weapon a one shot one kill, even the pistols, which, if you want super duper realism, especially with the destructible buildings and such, this is the game mode for you.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here