Game Dogs: Episode Nine: Crunch

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I dont get why are they dogs...cats are always funnier not because I'm a cat fan just that all the stuff that people laugh at is a cat falling/scared/dancing with/on/in a box/music/stupid stuff that always makes you laugh

Chet is starting to fall out of favor with me, Roger looks more and more like the main protagonist. The guy hasn't done a single thing to make us like him throughout the entire series so far. At all.

ENOUGH WITH THE GODDAMN SIGH! This episode was great though, someone need to throw a cup of scalding hot coffee on Chet :(

Russ I'm so glad you changed the animated before a live studio audience. This is the best episode I've seen, lets just hope there is no real yiffpiles.

Kaotic Skunk:
If people anyone doesn't like the show, then stop watching it. I like the show a fair amount, but if you hate it, go play or watch something else instead of complaining about it. Same thing about furrys, if you got a problem with them then ignore them. We arnt forcing you to go to Fchan or anything.

Finally someone who preaches what I preach. Nice avy by the way.

Game Dogs definitely improved. The only problem is I don't know what time this is set in...

Also, WTF is with the tag "yiffpile"

The only character in the series that's even remotely funny is Bob.

LOL at yiffpile! Another funny episode all around. Love Bob, and Gary, and Roger--he IS badass. Definitely sensing Beth/Rog-ness. ^.~ I thought the dialogue was great here.

So I'm still baffled at all the people being WAY overly harsh on this little series. It seems ridiculous that one wouldn't find it at the very least mildly amusing. It's not intended to be riotously funny, but it has elicited audible laughter and chuckling from me (and no, I wouldn't find just anything funny...although I can probably find something funny about almost anything...does that make any sense at all?) No matter. All I know is, I don't waste time watching things that I know I genuinely dislike. There must be SOMEthing that keeps everybody clicking "play" on the new GD videos...and unless they're masochists, it's probably something that they like about it, or hope to see and like. (Or complete boredom, I guess.)

Really though. This isn't the world's greatest cartoon or anything, but come on! All the complaints about the "animated before a live studio audience" thing. If that simple, grin-worthy little joke were part of the show's opening...would you still be that tired of it? Do you get sick of watching the openings to TV shows before every episode? It's so easy to criticize, even when it's undeserved, and to tear apart a simple animated cartoon on the Internet. Oooh! You seriously would do better? Even if so...who cares? This should entertain you for five or six minutes at a time. If not, the solution is simple: Quit watching. No one's asking you to like the show. Different strokes for different folks. Doesn't mean it needs to be bashed every Thursday.

And we're still wondering why they're dogs?! Why the Game Dogs are dogs?!? Oh my goodness gracious, why is anything anything?! Would it be any more pleasing to you if they were humans? Or goats? Or wombats? I just accepted it from the beginning. I don't require a perfectly logical explanation for everything. It works just fine and that's all that matters.

The animation itself is not outstanding, but I'm in an animation class at university right now. I know how hard it is and can't fault them too much. As Gary tried to tell us in his rather brilliant response: "Animation takes a long time. A LONG TIME!" Being able to churn out a new episode, ANY new episode, even one of 4-6 minutes, of a mini-sitcom every week is nothing to sneeze at. (Btw, I agree with everything Tenmar has said.)

Glancing over comments is somewhat puzzling...in most cases, it's like, "what more do you want?! What would capture your interest better?!" Everyone's picking on Bethany all the time. Yet...what exactly do you want from her...? Perhaps the thing that bugged me most of all was not the "SIGH" but all the unbelievable comments about how the "SIGH"-ing is so annoying! I do not understand AT ALL what is irritating about that. That's her. That's something she does. If a movie or TV character or real person did it often (not constantly, but frequently), it'd just be their "thing." But somehow every time Bethany does it, people think it's horrible. Once again I'm utterly bewildered. O_o

Please have her stop saying "SIGH". Nobody likes it. It doesn't make her an interesting character. It makes her annoying.
But hey, that seems to be the tone of the show, so why should that be the straw that breaks the camel's back?

i dont like it, yet i continue to watch.

The only real problem is some of the gay jokes that you make, like Chet overacting his battle and Roger screaming Konichiwa you know thats not funny.

Good job with Bob in the intro though,

i hate Bethany's *SIGH*

And also, good work with the "that big yellow thing in the sky joke" that one was actually good

Maybe, just maybe, they're including the verbal sigh to irritate everyone because there are no less than three posts per comment page specifically complaining about it. The people who complain about it obviously watched it, so why not keep doing it to see how long they keep watching it to complain? Ask Howard Stern about that phenomenon. Doesn't matter if you like or dislike the sigh or the implied incoming yiffpile. You're still there to see it.

First reaction: WOO BOB!
Second reactoin: WOO DIFFERENT LIVE AUDIENCE MESSAGE!

The writing is still improving, though I think the characters may be starting to settle into stereotypes a bit too much. The chief problem I see here is that none of the characters really seem to fit together very well.

Bethany is sort of just there (she needs some more development) and while she has repeatedly expressed arousal at Roger's sword-wielding nerd rage, she doesn't seem to click with him very well, or with Chet for that matter.

Chet is probably the funniest character of the main three, but he seems to not really care about the other two (him leaving the other two to do all the work is getting to be too much of a trait for him.)

Roger is obviously the nerd and seems to be the character most capable of holding his own comedically (he does seem to be getting more screen time lately) and him bickering with Chet is probably the funniest thing on the show (again except for Bob). That's not to say that their interactions are particularly great, but they do seem to work best with each other.

Honestly, none of the characters seem to WANT to be around each other. Make them act, you know, like friends instead of coworkers. Maybe in a few episodes you could throw in a new recurring character to add to the break room.

Speaking of the break room, when are you guys gonna take this show to some new settings???? Show these guys go out and do something together, it doesn't ALL have to be at work...

bethany is my girl rodger sucks

ninjajoeman:
I dont get why are they dogs...cats are always funnier not because I'm a cat fan just that all the stuff that people laugh at is a cat falling/scared/dancing with/on/in a box/music/stupid stuff that always makes you laugh

They're dogs rather than cats because dogs are easier to stereotype. Cats admittedly often do funnier things as individuals, but the funny stuff is usually on a cat-to-cat basis. With dogs, the stupid/funny behavior is relatively uniform throughout the species, thus making it easier to be played for laughs.

Edit:

peterbiltxr:
bethany is my girl rodger sucks

You are either an incredibly ineffective troll seeking to incite anti-furry-flame and failing miserably, or someone with deep issues who is getting possessive of/obsessed with a cartoon character, furry or not being irrelevant. Judging by your post count and your utter lack of any visible emotion or higher diction within your miserable attempts at commenting upon the videos, I would guess the former rather than the latter. If I'm wrong, by all means, correct me.

Kaotic Skunk:
If people anyone doesn't like the show, then stop watching it. I like the show a fair amount, but if you hate it, go play or watch something else instead of complaining about it. Same thing about furrys, if you got a problem with them then ignore them. We arnt forcing you to go to Fchan or anything.

don't mention fchan

you might piss a lot of the furry haters.

Not bad but lets say this AGAIn...and AGAIN until you get it through your heads.....

SIGH IS NOT A WORD IT IS AN ACTION!!!!!! STOP SAYING THE WORD!!!!!!

Any remotely nerdy character who would destroy a classic Optimus Prime, or a vintage Voltron figure should have their nerd license revoked, and should then be taken out behind the shed and shot (see what I did there?).

If this scene were to play out somewhat true to the characters, Bethany would have the sword, and Rodger would be trying to talk her down from destroying such iconic figures (while perhaps telling her to focus her anger on Chet, the true problem).

yiffpile? when does this happen? Good furry entertainment is hard to come-I mean, what's a furry?

nice show, i see the writing is improving

just ignore all the haters, your show is good

Snapette:
So I am still baffled at all the people being WAY overly harsh on this little series. It seems ridiculous that one wouldn't find it at the very least mildly amusing... Once again I am utterly bewildered. O_o

Wherever we look, it's easy to view ingenuity, talent, and appeal sacrificed for the sake of ease when the product could actually be entertaining for the same price and time, at the cost of a shift in thought-process and a surrender of ego. The sooner, the better.

Surely, GD is drawn better than more than a few internet media productions; the comic xkcd for example. That xkcd knows its subject and can compliment the wit of their target audience by providing jokes that relate effectively.

The saving grace for this show is its voice acting. The character designs are done well enough and while they're not bad; the writing doesn't hit any mark. If it weren't for the title, I'd have no idea whether the show is trying to cater to d20 geeks, game makers, artists, office workers, management, producers, programmers, or something else. It offers fatally impersonal characters (even in a cartoon world) with few clever laughs outside of referencing dogs, smashing things, and terrible office banter. The language is dated (though that doesn't matter) and the characters are still trying to find their role. I'm still waiting for "It sure looks like someone's having a case of the Mondays". I tend to keep peeking at every episode with the same intrigue held while watching a train wreck or an explosive car crash.

As for the bashing that takes place; It doesn't help that suggestions from many that are meant to be helpful, realistic, and objective go largely ignored. There isn't even a response of "can't change any of these because of [time constraints /no budget /have a wife and kids]". The responses seem limited to indirect op-eds that lump a majority of the 'less-than-adoring-and-worse' responses as haters.

I've started boarding out 'Game Cats' as a paradoxical parody of pernicious puns. Maybe once it's up and receiving hate-mail, I'll learn how silly I'm being with this post. It's funny it took this show to break the camel's back. I thought nothing would surprise me after "Sons of Butcher".

yay! another crap episode taking the place of something that should be on the escapist

bad_karma:

As for the bashing that takes place; It doesn't help that suggestions from many that are meant to be helpful, realistic, and objective go largely ignored. There isn't even a response of "can't change any of these because of [time constraints /no budget /have a wife and kids]". The responses seem limited to indirect op-eds that lump a majority of the 'less-than-adoring-and-worse' responses as haters.

The additional eye animations were something that the artist and myself took *painstaking* efforts to implement for this episode. The "helpful suggestions" are heard, but we work so far ahead of schedule in order to keep on schedule that many of the suggestions are simply not possible to implement.

There seems to be some commonality amongst the 'haters', in that they seem to think we do an episode from the ground up every week. It takes a very intense week of work to get the animation done, and before that can happen the audio has to be set in stone to keep that timeline from stretching exponentially with changes. Preceding the entire process is the writing, so suffice if to say the "helpful suggestions" get some serious filtering before anything can be implemented. Since animation is the last leg of the race, you'll see improvements there before voice or writing. Make sense?

CaptainCrunch:

bad_karma:

The additional eye animations were something that the artist and myself took *painstaking* efforts to implement for this episode. The "helpful suggestions" are heard, but we work so far ahead of schedule in order to keep on schedule that many of the suggestions are simply not possible to implement. It takes a very intense week of work to get the animation done, and before that can happen the audio has to be set in stone to keep that timeline from stretching exponentially with changes. Preceding the entire process is the writing, so suffice if to say the "helpful suggestions" get some serious filtering before anything can be implemented. Since animation is the last leg of the race, you'll see improvements there before voice or writing. Make sense?

I do understand and thanks much for the response. I know having to animate approx 1 minute 20sec/day of 1 or more characters is daunting even when the animation is simple; including revision process and that's assuming there's no board or audio changes/layout mistakes. With responses like yours, it may help to quell the viewers. I hope more take notice. I suppose if the spread is longer than two months in advance, it would be understandable that even the script suggestions on the pilot wouldn't be viewable until now.

Anyway, best of luck on your project
(edited for clarity)

My intrest in this show like many people is low, but we keep watching them, however every show gets better and better, so the future may look good for this. Besides, I do like the trio, but honestly the other dogs just annoy me... but is that the point of them? (like boss and the new female dog)

Hyperion AND Superman? That's kinda redundant. Good episode though.

It's a lot better than when it first started. The ending was very good.

BUT PLEASE STOP MAKING THE GIRL SAY 'SIGH'! IT'S NOT FUNNY!

Kaiser0120:
Alright, I've been meaning to make an account on this site for a long time. Wish it didn't have to be for this, but screw it.

This show is not funny. The creators might have some good ideas, but they're being wasted on this show. The actors obviously have talent, but it's being wasted on this show. The animators MIGHT have some talent, but... yeah, this show.

First off, Roger going berserk and Bethany being surprised by it. This is, what, the third time? Why is she even surprised anymore? Why is it even FUNNY anymore? Answers are, she shouldn't be and it isn't. Not to mention, nerd-rage is only effective when it's built up to correctly. In this episode, it works somewhat effectively, but it's hurt by the fact that it was basically just inserted into earlier episodes before there was any real build-up of his character.

That's really the problem with these jokes. Just like Bethany's "I'm the token girl" they're all flat, obvious cliches. Sure, they have some quirks, but by the sheer fact that the creators assume we know who they are supposed to be in the dynamic, they make obvious, tired jokes about them. Like sexism in the workplace, the pushy, ignorant boss, the nerd, the token girl, the slacker. Only Bob has ever made me laugh and Mr. Yee was at least a fun Cloud Cuckoolander

Bethany is probably the worst example. She is absolutely bland as hell. Now, I know it's hard to write for female characters without making them a stereotype, but come on, guys. Give her some room to breath, the actually have some quirks, faults, and qualities. All I see here is exactly what you had her say: She's the girl and she's just sort of there. Having her be the artist was a good move, but there's nothing more to her than that.

What's worse is the animation. Ok, look, I'm not an animator and I'm not about to start saying I could do any better. I know a couple of animators, they work their asses off on stuff like this. The thing is, they also know whether or not their work is very good. This? Not. Good. This animation is bad. The elevator mouths, the jerky motions, the simple and incredibly limited expressions. In the trailer, they make the EXCUSE, "Animation takes time!" Well, if you don't want criticism, then don't put out a final product that DOESN'T LOOK VERY GOOD.

But really, this all maybe could have been saved by the writing. However, as I said before, it's boring, it's lazy, and it's flat out stifled. We haven't seen ANY of the game they're working on and nothing beside them in their office or playing D&D. There are many instances where a cutaway to one of their mentioned disasters could have been provided and it probably would have made those conversations much more entertaining, but all we hear is "It rerouted to the Pentagon blah blah isn't that funny?"

Lastly, and this is something I really do need to point out: The dog gimmick? God. Awful. No, really, it's one of the worst things about the entire show, honestly. There is absolutely no reason for them to be dogs. It doesn't add to the comedy, it isn't ironic. It's just a way to differentiate yourselves and it fails miserably. A gimmick only serves a purpose when it's adding to the production as a whole. This adds squat.

Honestly, I'd really like to see these actors apply their talents elsewhere and the writers really take their time and come up with something newer, fresher, and tighter. As for the animators, well... I know they're working on a restrained budget and time-frame, so I can only assume that's why the animation looks so... God awful. I'll assume they can do better with the right amount of time and effort.

Oh, and for those who think furries are going to like this because they're dogs? Trust me, we're not all that sycophantic. Not a single furry I call a friend has said this show is any good.

Stupid furry idiot doesn't know artistic style needs to go burn in hell. Damnit almost had a haiku there but I fucked it up in the last line.....

AUGH I lost The Game.

Still, I like how there's episode-to-episode progress on the game. It's great.

The new intro was refreshing guys, good one there (still it will be cooler if you try something more beyond the "shoot in a life studio..." thing)

This episode made me smirk and maybe chuckle at some parts, but it's a bit weak compared to the previous ones. You guys are getting better with the writing but it needs better timing ;-) As a furry here, I am considering this show pretty good.

But seriously, yiffpile? XD I am tempted to search that now in the site to see what pops up.

I'm going to bet at least 10 other people have said this but....why do the characters literally say sigh when they sigh?

ninjajoeman:

Or in other words....LOLCATS FTW. Speaking of why is it that in movies and shows and such why are the characters talking dogs with cats as the bad guys?

"Sigh."

Oh God, the last tag...lol.
Awesome intro, Bob not Gary! And new audience joke!

Good ep, keep this up.

heh, loved Bob's intro.

Actually pretty good this time round. Seems you listened to us and actually made it better, this is something id watch once a week. AND enjoy it.

But please. PLEASE. PLEASE!!!!! Stop making that bitch actually say "Sigh". If I could, I would kill her in an incredibely voilent fashion for that.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here