Another Round

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Another Round

The best movies to view through the bottom of a bottle.

Read Full Article

I've never really understood the whole Saint Patrick's day thing in America. I can understand it if you're Irish, but Irish-American? If you're great-great-great grandfather jumped off a boat 150 years ago that makes you American of Irish descent, The same way that I'm British of, ultimately, African descent, considering that humans originated there.

Edit: This is not a hate speech by the way, if anyone would care to educate me on the matter then I would be more than welcome.

Man, I remember watching Strange Brew a while back, hilarious movie

Daystar Clarion:
Edit: This is not a hate speech by the way, if anyone would care to educate me on the matter then I would be more than welcome.

A long time ago, someone realized it was a pretty good excuse to get drunk and blame it on someone's Irish heritage. Later, people realized they liked having an official day to get drunk on, so it stuck.

See also, Thanksgiving and excessively large Dinners. Halloween and candy (and later, Halloween and slutty costumes). Christmas and presents, Valentines Day and sex, 4th of July and explosives...

All the good holidays specialize in something specific that people want more of, outside of just celebrating whatever the historical event is.

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

A long time ago, someone realized it was a pretty good excuse to get drunk and blame it on someone's Irish heritage. Later, people realized they liked having an official day to get drunk on, so it stuck.

See also, Thanksgiving and excessively large Dinners. Halloween and candy (and later, Halloween and slutty costumes). Christmas and presents, Valentines Day and sex, 4th of July and explosives...

All the good holidays specialize in something specific that people want more of, outside of just celebrating whatever the historical event is.

So the real reason is that people just want an excuse to get rat arsed. Whether it be an Irish saint or god's son. I suppose that makes sense...

The Blues Brothers, Beerfest, and Serenity.

If you really want to go insane rent the Revolutionary Girl Utena movie and play this drinking game.

A shot counts as a mouthful of liquid if you don't use shot glasses.

Take a shot everytime you see roses and/or flying rose petals. Also take a shot everytime you see strange scenery and architecture.

Take two shots everytime you see something gay or when you see Utena transform into a girl.

Chug when Utena changes into a car.

I like St. Pat's day because it's a day when the Irish come together and laugh at all the Plastic Paddies and suck tourists dry on the streets of Dublin. I personally like to go out walking somewhere quiet where the music composer would insist on putting pipes and fiddle music.

My all time Paddy's day dream is to evade the police in a parade using only a green hat and my natural grittyness.

Good choice of drinking movies I must say, Though you owe us a list of The best Irish produced films MovieBob! Otherwise me and the 30 or so people who represent the Irish film industry will come after your knees!

an interesting selection. But personally, I would have to bump one of them for "Withnail and I" where Richard E Grant and Paul McGann spend their time trying to get drunk.

Withnail: [having just drunk a bottle of lighter fluid] Got any more?
Marwood: No. I have nothing.
Withnail: Liar. What's in your toolbox.
Marwood: Nothing.
Withnail: Liar. You've got antifreeze.
Marwood: You bloody fool. You should never mix your drinks.

I second the motion to add Withnail and I to the list, I mean just consider the Withnail and I drinking game!

If you really want to get rat arsed along with a movie, watch Withnail and I and play the infamous drinking game attached to it. To play the game, simply drink whenever Withnail drinks. Some diehards (who occasionally end up dead) will make a point of drinking exactly what Withnail drinks. Amateurs can pick the safer route and just drink what "I" drinks.

Lono Shrugged:

Good choice of drinking movies I must say, Though you owe us a list of The best Irish produced films MovieBob! Otherwise me and the 30 or so people who represent the Irish film industry will come after your knees!

That would have made some sense. Though they don't do much drinking in in Bruges.

Daystar Clarion:

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

So the real reason is that people just want an excuse to get rat arsed. Whether it be an Irish saint or god's son. I suppose that makes sense...

Don't forget that people think you're normal when you do it. You can set off fireworks any time you wish, but people won't think you're strange when you do it on the 4th. It's the same with drinking and St. Patrick.

randommaster:

Daystar Clarion:

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

Don't forget that people think you're normal when you do it. You can set off fireworks any time you wish, but people won't think you're strange when you do it on the 4th. It's the same with drinking and St. Patrick.

It's really intersting from a sociological perspective when you put it that way...

Daystar Clarion:

randommaster:

Daystar Clarion:

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

It's really intersting from a sociological perspective when you put it that way...

It's also interesting from a business perspective. You can make just about any kind of food green on St. Patrick's Day and people will eat it without comment when they would normally not eat, or even complain. Try finding another time when you can serve green mashed potatoes.

On a completely unrelated note, cucumber-flavored beer

I think I watched Drunken Master 2 while gettin loaded. It was malt liquor night a few years back. Is that the one where he fights a hundred guys with hatchets and beats their asses with a peeled bamboo? Yah good pick.

Also he chugs gasoline to beat the villain.. lol

Rainboq:
Man, I remember watching Strange Brew a while back, hilarious movie

I saw it a few years ago. Bought it on tape at a pawn shop I work at for 50 Cents. Possibly the greatest thing I have ever laid eyes on. Too funny for words.

Obligatory Irish Joke before Furburt gets here

Daystar Clarion:
I've never really understood the whole Saint Patrick's day thing in America.

Lots of reasons.

1. Each subsequent generation of immigration to the US was met with disdain, thus forcing said immigrants to form communities of people from the same country of origin. So you get a lot of people of the same ancestry in one place, community, or family. Thus people of Irish ancestry lived close together, intermarried, etc. Add to the fact that Irish almost always equates to Catholic, and until recently marrying outside of your religion (especially Catholicism) was a big taboo. So you'd be surprised how 'Irish' many Americans actually are.

2. We identify more with the culture of our European ancestors because we have very little in the way of an 'American' culture. This is not a problem for Europe, where family and cultural history go back thousands of years. Yes, there are things that make us uniquely American, but none of us have had the same cultural experience (or a cultural experience as similar as people in, say, Ireland would have). Ask 10 Americans what "American Culture" means and you'll get 15 different answers, and those answers will usually be divided based at least somewhat on ancestry.

3. How many generations until we're no longer allowed to claim European descent? 2? 5? 1? As soon as one of our ancestors married a 'local' American (who was probably of a different European descent), are we no longer allowed to celebrate our family's cultural history?

Ultimately it's a lot more complicated than anything I can (or should) explain on The Escapist, but there's a lot going on with Americans and their ancestry.

Note that this really has little to do with St. Patrick's Day in it's current form. It's less a celebration of Irish ancestry and culture and more an excuse to get drunk in public (as has been said).

AcacianLeaves:

Daystar Clarion:
I've never really understood the whole Saint Patrick's day thing in America.

Lots of reasons.

1. Each subsequent generation of immigration to the US was met with disdain, thus forcing said immigrants to form communities of people from the same country of origin. So you get a lot of people of the same ancestry in one place, community, or family. Thus people of Irish ancestry lived close together, intermarried, etc. Add to the fact that Irish almost always equates to Catholic, and until recently marrying outside of your religion (especially Catholicism) was a big taboo. So you'd be surprised how 'Irish' many Americans actually are.

2. We identify more with the culture of our European ancestors because we have very little in the way of an 'American' culture. This is not a problem for Europe, where family and cultural history go back thousands of years. Yes, there are things that make us uniquely American, but none of us have had the same cultural experience (or a cultural experience as similar as people in, say, Ireland would have). Ask 10 Americans what "American Culture" means and you'll get 15 different answers, and those answers will usually be divided based at least somewhat on ancestry.

3. How many generations until we're no longer allowed to claim European descent? 2? 5? 1? As soon as one of our ancestors married a 'local' American (who was probably of a different European descent), are we no longer allowed to celebrate our family's cultural history?

Ultimately it's a lot more complicated than anything I can (or should) explain on The Escapist, but there's a lot going on with Americans and their ancestry.

Note that this really has little to do with St. Patrick's Day in it's current form. It's less a celebration of Irish ancestry and culture and more an excuse to get drunk in public (as has been said).

Thanks for explaining that to me, I feel adequately enlightened now. To the lesser-ignorance cave! dudududududududunaaaa!

While you are correct about not needing to see Drunken Master to get Drunken Master II, they should see it, as it's freaking awesome.

They should also see Snake in Eagle's Shadow, but that's a completely different point.

Oh I'm glad I'm out of school for this saint Patrick's day. Nothing quite like hearing people go on about how they are Irish and should be drinking, and how because of their Irish relatives have an immunity to hangovers.

Yes I live in Boston and yes I do root for the Yankees, I however hate baseball.

Ah, dammit. I hate fucking St. Patricks day.

That may confuse some of you, as I'm Irish, and have lived here all my life, but it's just annoying to have our whole rich culture distilled down to "Get drunk and stupid for a day", especially as I don't drink. Plus, the amount of so called 'Plastic Paddies' you get, mostly from America, is insane. No offence to the Americans here, but on Patricks day, they're really annoying. I've had to shepard a few around, and guess what the only thing they want to do is? Drink.

The problem is, we're no strangers to it either. The levels of drinking on St.Patricks day that I've seen in America pale in comparison to the catastrophic levels in Ireland. I've seen 7 year old boys chugging raw vodka for hours, and nobody gives a shit, because "Hey, it's get drunk and act like an arsehole for a day day!"

I'm not angry at Moviebob or anything, it's just the whole idea of the day that gets me. It should be a celebration of Irish culture, and believe it or not guys, Irish culture isn't focused on drinking. What I like to do is read some Kavanagh, and maybe watch Ryans Daughter or something like that, but then people look at me funny for not drinking on St. Paddys day!

It would be nice to make that stereotype go away. Not everyone in Ireland drinks, and for some reason it's okay to use it as a stereotype. It might seem harmless, but in reality it's the same as insinuating black people eat watermelon and chicken all the time and are all criminals. If you said something like that, you'd be branded as a racist, yet somehow it's acceptable to insinuate that everyone in Ireland is a religious nutcase drunk who beats their spouses and has less IQ points than a smoothie, because it's all just in the name of good humour. Well, I'm sick of it!

/rant

Damn! I just passed over recording The Thin Man on TCM. I can probably find it elsewhere on the 'Net but that was an opportunity to watch it on the tube. Oh well.

MovieBob:
Today, Rick Moranis and Dave Thomas are well-known TV and movie stars

Not anymore. I used to be a huge fan of SCTV and have seen many of their movies (even though I don't particularly like Strange Brew). But the last notable thing either of them has done was playing a pair of talking moose. And Brother Bear was released quite a while ago. Thomas has done a lot of low-budget films since then, sure, but how many have seen any of them? And Moranis has done... well... has he done anything since the Brother Bear sequel? Nothing springs to my mind. My generation is forgetting these guys about as quickly as other 80's comedians like Chase and Pryor which is a shame but it doesn't make it any less true.

Furburt:
It would be nice to make that stereotype go away.

Not gonna happen. Not anytime soon anyway. America loves that stereotype and since many of them claim they have a little bit of Irish in them they think that gives them the right to say it (I apologize if this sounds racist against Americans but other than Kathy, every American I know has made this claim at least once). It's pretty entrenched in the movies as well, specifically in titles focusing on South Boston like The Boondock Saints and The Departed. To be fair, Canada is just as guilty. I for one have made fun of my Irish-Canadian friend because he is the very embodiment of said stereotype, down to the hyper-aggressiveness and flaming red hair.

Well then, Bob, I can't say anything for the #2 and #4, but I love me some Strange Brew, which I thought was the funniest movie I'd ever seen as a child. Beerfest is still a highly entertaining film. But goddamn if you didn't cut straight to my heart with pre-Rush Hour Jackie Chan. You know, I'm a Police Story, Dragons Forever kinda guy, but Legend of the Drunken Master was incredible. I must now go and conceal my excitement that Jackie Chan will playing the new master in the Karate Kid remake.

Furburt:
It might seem harmless, but in reality it's the same as insinuating black people eat watermelon and chicken all the time and are all criminals.

TBF, we don't eat cucumber sandwiches, talk in Estuary speak and carry umbrellas either.

And I'm sure Americans aren't body-obsessed, gun-toting ... well, you know the stereotype yourself :)

At least people celebrate St. Patricks/Independence Day; St. George's day gets a minimal "woot" if that.

And when English people celebrate Independence Day...you have to wonder what's going through their heads.

Meh, we're all dependent on our stereotype for trade/culture, and crippled by it for understanding.

(briefly busting out grammar-police) "There's a running subplot about ancient family conflicts over a stolen recipe for a legendary beer recipe..."

Really, Bob? I think you need to fire your editor-- that is such an awkward and inept construction...

Anyway, doffing that cap, excellent article, but I feel compelled to point something out: the reason the Thin Man had so much drinking in it is because it was made/released the year after Prohibition was repealed, and thus it was still widely considered to be really cool to overindulge. (Or should I say 'hip'? What superlatives did they use in the '20s and '30s, anyway?)

Man, if I had a time machine, I would totally go back to the Roaring '20s, visit a Speakeasy, and hook up with a flapper!

EDIT: oh, and in regards to the psychological/sociological aspects in regards to ancestry, while what AcacianLeaves said is a good start, but to dig a little deeper, you may want to investigate Psychology and Motivational Theory, specifically 'Need for Affiliation'. Not really in my wheelhouse because my studies were on Cognitive and Abnormal psych, but I figured I could at least throw those out there for those of you who are interested in why people invest so much importance into ancestry.

Good list, but really, Sideways? That movie gets far too much praise. The movie does have its moments where its genuinely funny, but that drawn out middle act where both guys are just being unlikeable schmucks screwing things up with the gals they met is just mind numbingly bad. Me and the gal I was with at the time were just about to give up on the flick and take it out right when it got funny again. I do have to admit the whole deal with getting the wallet back was funny, but god damn that mid act was shit.

Furburt:

I'm not angry at Moviebob or anything, it's just the whole idea of the day that gets me. It should be a celebration of Irish culture, and believe it or not guys, Irish culture isn't focused on drinking. What I like to do is read some Kavanagh, and maybe watch Ryans Daughter or something like that, but then people look at me funny for not drinking on St. Paddys day!
/rant

Well paddy's day to me is "sleep in and catch up on work day". Not really as entertaining to tell people. The problem is that while obviously the stereotype of Irish drinking more than other people is completely untrue, as you said there's a horrendous amount of idiots who make asses of themselves, and the stereotype continues to propogate. Yay.

Also, slightly off topic, when Irish people emmigrate, or especially second generation immigrants, they often seem to play up the whole Irish caricature with the smooth 'brogue' and flippancy. (see: colin farrell). I wonder if it's people needing some identity to cling to, and not knowing anything real about Irish culture, default to a plastic paddy themselves? Sorry, I'm ranting, but Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds pretty fake to me, which is bananas.

We also have Liam neeson though, by God that man is great...

Outright Villainy:
Sorry, I'm ranting, but Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds pretty fake to me, which is bananas.

Actually, Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds fake because he's a suburban middle class guy from Castleknock trying to sound like a tough inner city Dublin bloke and failing miserably.

And Liam Neeson is god.

Daystar Clarion:

Kross:

Daystar Clarion:

And there ain't (much) wrong with that, is there?

America! ARROGANCE IS OUR WAY OF LIFE!

Furburt:

Outright Villainy:
Sorry, I'm ranting, but Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds pretty fake to me, which is bananas.

Actually, Colin Farrell's Irish accent sounds fake because he's a suburban middle class guy from Castleknock trying to sound like a tough inner city Dublin bloke and failing miserably.

Doesn't surprise me, I fucking hate how he plays up this whole faux Irishness, and Americans love it! More than the accent, he thinks he's some great playboy or something, and I just hate how he's probably one of the most famouse Irish people in America. *sigh*
Oh well, haven't heard about him in a while so I don't get my blood angered up, yay!

Outright Villainy:

Doesn't surprise me, I fucking hate how he plays up this whole faux Irishness, and Americans love it! More than the accent, he thinks he's some great playboy or something, and I just hate how he's probably one of the most famouse Irish people in America. *sigh*
Oh well, haven't heard about him in a while so I don't get my blood angered up, yay!

Still, I liked him in In Bruges and Intermission.

Mainly because he plays morons in those films.

maninahat:

Lono Shrugged:

That would have made some sense. Though they don't do much drinking in in Bruges.

They do do a fuckload of cocaine though.

Onyx Oblivion:

I was thinking on this earlier.

The British have their snootiness, the Americans their arrogance, the French their aloofness, and I'm sure I could find a similar synonym for the Canadians and the Aussies...perhaps it's just we all express our patriotism in a similar way?

The_root_of_all_evil:

Onyx Oblivion:

I was thinking on this earlier.

The British have their snootiness, the Americans their arrogance, the French their aloofness, and I'm sure I could find a similar synonym for the Canadians and the Aussies...perhaps it's just we all express our patriotism in a similar way?

Canadians have Colin Mochrie. That's all they need.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here