The Escapist Awards 2009 - Winners Announcement

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

The Escapist Awards 2009 - Winners Announcement

The Escapist presents the best games of 2009.

Read Full Article

Yay for Muramasa!

These are the award right........... I agree with the OP that this was definitely a slow year for gaming but I mostly on the winners with some exception and I wont be nitpicking. Dragon Age got a few and definitely made me happy.

Aww....no award for Spelunky...*cries in corner*

Although I am pleased that you picked PvZ as "Casual Game of the Year." Also, here is the obligatory mention to your lawn and the zombies that are on it.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Game of the year, but not the best game of its genre!

I guess this is one of the times where I have nothing (or not much) nice to say... so I'd rather not say anything... but... is this a joke, did you guys take a list of "Best selling games" to compile this list? o.O

Aww... I was hoping Wet would win box art and AAAAAaaaAAaaa would win name. Oh well, I'll take consolation that 'Splosion Man won best senseless fun.

Can't help but say I'm offended because of reading "The console may be king" on the "Best PC Game" award. Meh. Maybe I'm just easily offended.

Heart of Darkness:
Aww....no award for Spelunky...*cries in corner*

Although I am pleased that you picked PvZ as "Casual Game of the Year." Also, here is the obligatory mention to your lawn and the zombies that are on it.

The link there earns a cookie from me. Sadly I ate all the cookies.

No love for Zeno clash huh? I can see how it lost aesthetic since muramasa is hot competition (I would have voted for Zeno but it's a hard choice) and I haven't played brütal legend so perhaps it's a better location than the superb temple. But how come it wasn't even nominated as fighting game of the year? Sure it's not a tradtional fighter but if you fight people in a game is it not a fighting game?

Other than that I agree with very little but I can see why you chose as you did, except for best name. How is AaaaaAAaaaAAAaaAAAAaAAAAA!!! - A Reckless Disregard for Gravity not the best name this year, how is it not the best name ever? Except maybe Deus Ex because it's so really clever and Morrowind because it sits so weirdly nice on your tongue (the whole name with the scrolls bit and all that is rather dreadfull tho).

Only game I bought or cared about last year was Empire Total war, and it deserves its award.

Overall I'm pretty happy about the results. DA:O won 4 awards, holy balls! Awesome game though.

I do however think that Dogmeat should have won the Most Companionable Canine award.

I'm happy that they didn't do what the dice awards did and give nigh on everything to Uncharted. I hear it's good, but seriously, nothing is good enough to warrant all but three awards going to it.

A few things I didnt agree but overall I cant complain. 2009 has been probably one of the best years for gaming out there.

Brutal Legend: Best writing? Really?

Jim Grim:

I found myself saying "Really?" to myself alot going through this list. The only ones I could really get behind were Best Sandbox AC2 (very well deserved, but I was surprised Infamous wasn't nominated) and best DLC for F3 Point Lookout (best $10 I ever spent).

Brutal Legend's writing award made me say "Really?" but then I thought about it and realized: what topped it this year?

Oh wow, gee, what a surprise, The Escapist looks past the sticky gameplay, outrageously short length, horrid, laggy, bumpy multiplayer that is filled with cheaters, crashing servers and hackers, and calls MW2 the best shooter? And the "shooting man's shooter"? Excuse me, what? And Infinity ward knows guns? Are you people high? It's the "hey look at me I'm 12 and I'm teh bestest snipar evah! -man's" shooter. A slightly below average boomfest for kids who think Transformers is the best film ever, because it had tanks and guns and stuff.

A lot of 'huh?' moments but I'm glad Plants Vs Zombies got an award :)

A fairly good list, as excellence is subjective. Big props for Batamn: AA as Game of the Year, well deserved!

One thing though: Best Voice Acting to Uncharted 2? Seriously? Not Batman: AA, for Mark Hamill's magnificent Joker?

Of the 3 games nominated for Wii game of the year 2 were published by Sega.Funny how times change

Bit disappointed that Little King's Story wasn't nominated for Wii GOTY though.It was imo one of the best games on Wii last year

Other than that no real complaints about the winners.Fully agree with Batman for overall GOTY

JEBWrench:
Batman: Arkham Asylum. Game of the year, but not the best game of its genre!

this and few other other "wait, what?" moments for me, but not bad overall. cheers.

I couldn't disagree more on the way you handled best game name. Overly long titles doubling as a form of basic pointer of what the game is about are the worst kind, not the best. A title should be enticing, making you interested without giving anything away. The exact meaning of it needn't be immediately clear. Titles like "Robot Dinosaurs That Shoot Beams When They Roar", "That Superhero Guy From Our Logo - The Game" or "Super Xtreme 5 Minute Shoot Em Up" always make me squirm. Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there's nothing left to take away.

Jim Grim:

Yeah, I saw that too and was a little "Uhhh?"

Well, some good mentionables on tere...and some on there I am really, really confused about. Overall though, I suppose its an idea of something at least

If Uncharted beats Assassin's Creed in every category they share, why wasn't that game nominated for game of the year instead?

Just curious, honest. I am quite indifferent to both games, but often find the reasoning behind these decisions to be interesting.

Another two choices that confused me were 1 vs 100 and Shadow Complex. In what way was Shadow Complex the best 360 game released last year?

If I turn off my hatervision, I honestly do agree with these. I'm glad you provided explanations for them, it's a detail I really appreciate.

I myself really quite loathe World of Warcraft and think it's a seriously bad offspring of the whole MMORPG genre, because it goes in just the exact opposite of what you described. Okay okay, so it's a game for everyone - but at what cost? Making the game piss-easy as long as you follow the instructions the questlog gives you and does quests only for your level. Which brings me to the "World of its own" part. How can anyone think that a game is immersive when dying has pretty much no penalty, you can't seriously ruin anybody elses day by murdering them, and you have a f***mothering questlog to help you level and to point you in the direction you need to go to do so.

It robs the game of any sense of roleplaying and exploration when you see the world for what it is - a great big canvas of grind/questing areas with some hills thrown in for good measure.

For me, it's all just a feeding belt that keeps everyone happy enough to keep renewing their subscriptions and Johnny Cash (yes, WoW's lead programmer is named Johnny Cash) is probably going to hell for it.

Cheerio.

xqxm:
I myself really quite loathe World of Warcraft and think it's a seriously bad offspring of the whole MMORPG genre, because it goes in just the exact opposite of what you described. Okay okay, so it's a game for everyone - but at what cost? Making the game piss-easy as long as you follow the instructions the questlog gives you and does quests only for your level. Which brings me to the "World of its own" part. How can anyone think that a game is immersive when dying has pretty much no penalty, you can't seriously ruin anybody elses day by murdering them, and you have a f***mothering questlog to help you level and to point you in the direction you need to go to do so.

It robs the game of any sense of roleplaying and exploration when you see the world for what it is - a great big canvas of grind/questing areas with some hills thrown in for good measure.

For me, it's all just a feeding belt that keeps everyone happy enough to keep renewing their subscriptions and Johnny Cash (yes, WoW's lead programmer is named Johnny Cash) is probably going to hell for it.

Cheerio.

Wow. You and I could not possibly disagree more.

Quest log = good thing.

Lack of death penalty = good thing.

Lack of griefing douchebags = good thing.

John Funk:

xqxm:

Cheerio.

Quest log = good thing.

Yeah, as much as I dislike World of Warcraft, this is seconded.
If you want to take pleasure in ruining days for other people - seek help.
OT: Well, those are pretty good awards, seeing how I can't really disagree with them - it's your awards after all.
And "Dinosaurs That Shoot Lasers When They Roar"? What an awesomely retarded name.

Jim Grim:
Another two choices that confused me were 1 vs 100 and Shadow Complex. In what way was Shadow Complex the best 360 game released last year?

If it helps, only platform exclusives were considered for those awards. Which is why something like Arkham Asylum wasn't nominated in that category.

Agreed on Batman.

Glad to see it getting the recognition it deserves, even if the boss fights were lame.

Shameless plug of my fan review:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/326.180125-Miracles-Whip-Batman-Arkham-Asylum

Stop complaining guys. Aye. Every time there is some kind of award announced or a game becomes really popular and receieves good reviews, the whiners come in and cry and wail about how overrated it was and how it's a piece of crap and how the reviewers and the editors here at the Escapist are being bought off by the big, evil video game companies. Enough already! The editors here chose the best of the best and you really shouldn't go onto hate-filled rants if you don't agree with it. It just makes you look like a big baby. Just make your own award list if it will make you feel better.

Now that that is out of the way, I'm very happy to see Uncharted, Arkham Asylum and Shadow Complex getting recognized for their greatness. I love those games and congrats to the other winners.

And one more thing...

Jim Grim:

Because it was the best 360 exclusive to choose from.

Perfect picks pretty much across the board imo, only one I disagree with is voice acting. I found both Batman: AA and DA:O to have better voice acting then Uncharted 2, it's a close one but Mark Hamill is an awesome Joker and everyone is top notch in DA:O.

John Funk:

Quest log = good thing.

All I'm saying is that when you are pretty much put on a belt-feeder to ensure that you stay and ensure profits for blizzard, and you really can't have any real impact on others or the world around you, your game really really fails as an MMORPG. Otherwise you could just be playing a singleplayer game.

I don't really agree with most of the awards, but that's just my opinion. Although one that I can definitely get behind is the best original soundtrack; Blazblue had a seriously stellar soundtrack, it was enough to get me into Metal, a genre of music I have never had an interest in.

Geamo:
A fairly good list, as excellence is subjective. Big props for Batamn: AA as Game of the Year, well deserved!

One thing though: Best Voice Acting to Uncharted 2? Seriously? Not Batman: AA, for Mark Hamill's magnificent Joker?

I love Arkham Asylum with a passion but the voice acting in Uncharted 2 is some of the best, if not the best in a videogame to date.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here